GG is still not an "elite" class dev.

• 97 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

It is not.

It is not Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica.

Please, do not compare it to Blizzard or Valve when it comes to gameplay engineering.

Sure, it has developed 2 graphically stuning games over the recent years; but its overall attention to polish is still not at the peak of the slope yet.

Now, accuse me of trolling because I have an opinion, which is based on some credible information.

To be "inducted" into the elite class developer, a particular developer must have: a consistently good track record, changed people's perception on any arbritary genre, and not only good at visual engineering.

WAIT...

But Crysis 2 should determine on whether or not Crytek is an elite.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Graphics are the single most important feature for console owners. THEY ARE DA KINGS!!!!!!!!!!

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
no one said they were :?
Cruse34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Cruse34
Member since 2009 • 4468 Posts

no one said they were :?funsohng

my thoughts exactly, I've never seen someone here say they are.

They have made some better then average games though

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 deactivated-5e7be39d87e0b
Member since 2005 • 4624 Posts

I agree, but they are going in that direction. It takes consistency like you said, as well as time. I think they can pull it off. Hella talented people over there. You must've argued with someone who said otherwise, huh?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Nope, they aren't. Bungie is, Valve is, Blizzard is, Nintendo is, Sony Santa Monica MIGHT be (maybe, but you could make the argument), BioWare is, etc. Studios like that are few and far between.

Oh, and Naughty Dog isn't. They are far too inconsistent as a studio.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Why make this thread twice when I doubt many (if any) will argue anyway?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DarkLink77

Why make this thread twice when I doubt many (if any) will argue anyway?

SapSacPrime
GS posting glitch is still in effect apparently.
Cow-101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Cow-101
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

Nope, they aren't. Bungie is, Valve is, Blizzard is, Nintendo is, Sony Santa Monica MIGHT be (maybe, but you could make the argument), BioWare is, etc. Studios like that are few and far between.

DarkLink77
Naughty Dog is an elite dev, how many devs do you know that can make a game as good as uncharted 2
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
Implying people actually call them an elite dev.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
Who the hell ever put GG as an elite dev anyway? The Elite word should be uses for like the very best of the best. They aren't even the best dev making games for Sony, much less one of the best in the industry.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Cow-101

Naughty Dog is an elite dev, how many devs do you know that can make a game as good as uncharted 2

Oh, boy, a level one account with one post. I'll respond anyway. They have made one, count 'em, ONE utterly fantastic game: Uncharted 2. They have not proven that they can do it consistently. Thus, they are not an top tier dev. They aren't bad, but they're not in the same league as the Nintendos, Blzzards, and BioWares and Bungies of this industry. They just aren't.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funsohng

[QUOTE="Cow-101"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Oh, boy, a level one account with one post. I'll respond anyway. They have made one, count 'em, ONE utterly fantastic game: Uncharted 2. They have not proven that they can do it consistently. Thus, they are not an top tier dev. They aren't bad, but they're not in the same league as the Nintendos, Blzzards, and BioWares and Bungies of this industry. They just aren't.

The Crash games and (apparently) Jak games were pretty good.
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Change perspective on a genre? Pretty much any shooter feels quite bland after playing KZ. Good enough? The gunplay is unmatched, and that's what the genre is all about.

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Cow-101

I think 120 GOTY awards are not enough for him

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

[QUOTE="Cow-101"] Naughty Dog is an elite dev, how many devs do you know that can make a game as good as uncharted 2funsohng

They are good. They aren't top tier good.
vadicta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#18 vadicta
Member since 2007 • 4354 Posts

No, you're completely right. Frontier developed Elite.

w4rrior17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 w4rrior17
Member since 2010 • 943 Posts

No, you're completely right. Frontier developed Elite.

vadicta
Lol, you're trying to be a smart a** and it still doesn't even make sense. Gudwan.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 funsohng
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Oh, boy, a level one account with one post. I'll respond anyway. They have made one, count 'em, ONE utterly fantastic game: Uncharted 2. They have not proven that they can do it consistently. Thus, they are not an top tier dev. They aren't bad, but they're not in the same league as the Nintendos, Blzzards, and BioWares and Bungies of this industry. They just aren't.DarkLink77

at least they were consistently getting better? besides, comparing any devs with Nintendo or Blizzard is going to make them look bad no matter what.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="funsohng"] The Crash games and (apparently) Jak games were pretty good.

at least they were consistently getting better? besides, comparing any devs with Nintendo or Blizzard is going to make them look bad no matter what.

Exactly. Jak series is rated 90, 87, 84 on Metacritic. Uncharted is at 88 and 96 respectively. I'd call them better than 'good'.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Where from and from whom did you get this list of credentials in order to be an elite class dev? Come back to earth bro. Only at SW can a game rate an 8.5 and garner these ridiculous posts as if you have some status in the gaming industry. I applaud GG for the great experiences I have had with KZ, KZ2, and KZ liberation. Looking forward to KZ3.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

Graphics are the single most important feature for console owners. THEY ARE DA KINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Fizzman
No, they are most important to cows, not console owners in general.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] They are good. They aren't top tier good.

Exactly. Jak series is rated 90, 87, 84 on Metacritic. Uncharted is at 88 and 96 respectively. I'd call them better than 'good'.

Well, if you want to argue semantics, I'd say they're a great developer. One of the best Sony has, right up there with Sony Santa Monica and Team Ico. I don't think, however, that they are a top tier development house. After a couple more games like Uncharted 2? Sure. 'Till then, no.
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

-Best graphics on consoles -Most attention to detail -Fantastic, innovative multiplayer never seen in any game before or since (name ONE OTHER GAME with a Warzone mode) -Incredible immersion factors -They are the best at making shooters that feel like you're controlling a PERSON not a camera with arms -They pioneered the deferred rendering technique now employed by all PS3 developers -They have created one of the most interesting and richly detailed sci-fi universes ever So what is you justification they aren't top teir? Your retarded fanboyism? Gotcha. Perchance have your parents taken part in any consensual cosanguination studies? HaloArcula

No.:|

and you need to chill

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10647 Posts

I never remember hearing this!!:|

Whoever stated they was?

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] Oh, boy, a level one account with one post. I'll respond anyway. They have made one, count 'em, ONE utterly fantastic game: Uncharted 2. They have not proven that they can do it consistently. Thus, they are not an top tier dev. They aren't bad, but they're not in the same league as the Nintendos, Blzzards, and BioWares and Bungies of this industry. They just aren't.

DarkLink77

Oh please and who made you king of deciding wats a top tier game.

spartan-kratos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 spartan-kratos
Member since 2011 • 66 Posts
[QUOTE="Fizzman"]

Doolz2024

well cows have some graphics king to brag about. Lems will do the same but for now they have nothing to brag with
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

[QUOTE="Doolz2024"][QUOTE="Fizzman"]

spartan-kratos

well cows have some graphics king to brag about. Lems will do the same but for now they have nothing to brag with

Consoles are not the kings of anything. PC's are the kings, while the consoles are the peasants/serfs. You think games like KZ3 are WOWZORS INSANE, but they are average if you game on a PC.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

It is not.

It is not Naughty Dog or Sony Santa Monica.

Please, do not compare it to Blizzard or Valve when it comes to gameplay engineering.

Sure, it has developed 2 graphically stuning games over the recent years; but its overall attention to polish is still not at the peak of the slope yet.

Now, accuse me of trolling because I have an opinion, which is based on some credible information.

To be "inducted" into the elite class developer, a particular developer must have: a consistently good track record, changed people's perception on any arbritary genre, and not only good at visual engineering.

WAIT...

But Crysis 2 should determine on whether or not Crytek is an elite.

Ravenchrome

No, Geurilla Games is not an elite dev but they are sure as heck making their way up there. Killzone 2 improved so much on Killzone 1. The felt worlds apart. Also Killzone 3 is no doubt console graphics king and GG are some of the most skilled in the industry when it comes to visuals.

Crytek is not an elite dev as well. Crysis 1 had incredible visuals and ok gameplay, nothing much. They are on about the same level as GG.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="funsohng"] The Crash games and (apparently) Jak games were pretty good.finalfantasy94

Oh please and who made you king of deciding wats a top tier game.

We're clearly discussing opinion here. Do I need to put IMO on every post?
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts

[QUOTE="spartan-kratos"][QUOTE="Doolz2024"]No, they are most important to cows, not console owners in general.Fizzman

Consoles are not the kings of anything. PC's are the kings, while the consoles are the peasants/serfs. You think games like KZ3 are WOWZORS INSANE, but they are average if you game on a PC.

After playing the Killzone 3 demo, I can't say I'm too impressed with how it looks, and I only play on console. Sure, it's a step up from Killzone 2, but Uncharted 2 still looks better.

TheGrudge13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#34 TheGrudge13
Member since 2009 • 1198 Posts
who said they were
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

who said they were TheGrudge13

HaloArcula did a few posts above.

Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts
I think Naughty Dog is fersure an "elite" developer. If you want to join the correct side of the argument (mine), you have to realize that when talking about something that extends beyond System Wars, scores don't matter. At all. Naughty Dog hasn't developed a "bad" game since like... the 80's. Before they were even with Universal and working next door to Insomniac. Their track record is more than great, it's fantastic. The original Crash Bandicoot series, the Jak & Daxter's, Uncharted, Uncharted 2; arguably the best game of the generation, and now they've risen through the ranks to become Sony's most important developer. November 1st is circled on every PS3 owners calendar as the most important day of the year. Whats, that? The topic is about GG? Yeah they're pretty good. Not Naughty Dog good. They can create one hell of a universe and stuff, but they need to hire some writers. Killzone could use some likable characters and MGS-esque plot twists please!
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="TheGrudge13"]who said they were alfredooo

HaloArcula did a few posts above.

He mad. :P
lowkey254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 lowkey254
Member since 2004 • 6031 Posts

Sure they are if I say they are. These titles are opinions, even if there was a committee to establish who's elite or not, it's still just an opinion from a committee.

Totalgym9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Totalgym9000
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
When you make a game as good as uncharted 2 you're a top tier dev, if you have ever watched their behind the scenes videos you can call tell their a total class act all the way. [QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

DarkLink77

Sony Santa Monica IS elite. There is no "maybe". They changed their respective genre, and they have an unbelievable respect for polishing their games. Other companies try to copy their formula, and seem to come up short. I agree that Guerilla Games isn't elite though. They haven't been consistent, and have a ways to go to catch up to the likes of Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Bungie etc.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

I haven't seen GG exercise their own creativity since killzone liberation. their current console outings are constrained by the demand for shallow spectacle and competition with call of duty.

that "richly detailed sci-fi universe" is also quite sadly hobbled by the demand for planned sequels and main characters designed to have no connection with the world or any other weight to them. there's no significance to any action when the helghast can just pull an entire fleet of reinforcements from their ass after being established as being in the underdog position (albiet, a cornered, frothing-at-the-mouth underdog)

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#42 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

Could care less about UC2. Its all about Crash Bandicoot 1-3.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mordred19

I think Naughty Dog is fersure an "elite" developer. If you want to join the correct side of the argument (mine), you have to realize that when talking about something that extends beyond System Wars, scores don't matter. At all. Naughty Dog hasn't developed a "bad" game since like... the 80's. Before they were even with Universal and working next door to Insomniac. Their track record is more than great, it's fantastic. The original Crash Bandicoot series, the Jak & Daxter's, Uncharted, Uncharted 2; arguably the best game of the generation, and now they've risen through the ranks to become Sony's most important developer. November 1st is circled on every PS3 owners calendar as the most important day of the year. Whats, that? The topic is about GG? Yeah they're pretty good. Not Naughty Dog good. They can create one hell of a universe and stuff, but they need to hire some writers. Killzone could use some likable characters and MGS-esque plot twists please!Not-A-Stalker

they don't need plot twists, they just need a good story that reasonably follows cause and effect and has a conclusion without jerking the player around as if it was called "Trollzone 2" or something.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Merex760

Sony Santa Monica IS elite. There is no "maybe". They changed their respective genre, and they have an unbelievable respect for polishing their games. Other companies try to copy their formula, and seem to come up short. I agree that Guerilla Games isn't elite though. They haven't been consistent, and have a ways to go to catch up to the likes of Nintendo, Naughty Dog, Bungie etc.

Well, I've only played one game from SSM, so I was iffy on it. It was an awesome game, though.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]I think Naughty Dog is fersure an "elite" developer. If you want to join the correct side of the argument (mine), you have to realize that when talking about something that extends beyond System Wars, scores don't matter. At all. Naughty Dog hasn't developed a "bad" game since like... the 80's. Before they were even with Universal and working next door to Insomniac. Their track record is more than great, it's fantastic. The original Crash Bandicoot series, the Jak & Daxter's, Uncharted, Uncharted 2; arguably the best game of the generation, and now they've risen through the ranks to become Sony's most important developer. November 1st is circled on every PS3 owners calendar as the most important day of the year. Whats, that? The topic is about GG? Yeah they're pretty good. Not Naughty Dog good. They can create one hell of a universe and stuff, but they need to hire some writers. Killzone could use some likable characters and MGS-esque plot twists please!Mordred19

they don't need plot twists, they just need a good story that reasonably follows cause and effect and has a conclusion without jerking the player around as if it was called "Trollzone 2" or something.

*I* need plot twists
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
[QUOTE="Merex760"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

Well, I've only played one game from SSM, so I was iffy on it. It was an awesome game, though.

Santa Monica knows that Kevin Mother ****ing Sorbo is the only man in the history of forever that should ever play Hercules. They deserve respect on that alone. To this day I refuse to watch the Disney cartoon movie because it doesn't have Kevin Sorbo :>
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts

[QUOTE="Merex760"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

They're pretty much a God of War factory. If I had one complaint about them, is that I wish they would come out with a new IP. They're supposedly lending some talent to the new Twisted Metal though.

Metacritics from SCE Santa Monica.

God of War - 94

God of War 2 - 93

God of War 3 - 92

GoW: Ghost of Sparta - 86

GoW: Chains of Olympus - 91

GoW Collection - 91

flOw - 81 (collaboration w/ ThatGameCompany)

Avatar image for deactivated-6079d224de716
deactivated-6079d224de716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-6079d224de716
Member since 2009 • 2567 Posts

Valve and Blizzard are the only two deserving the "elite" status. Sorry, consolites.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Mordred19"]

[QUOTE="Not-A-Stalker"]I think Naughty Dog is fersure an "elite" developer. If you want to join the correct side of the argument (mine), you have to realize that when talking about something that extends beyond System Wars, scores don't matter. At all. Naughty Dog hasn't developed a "bad" game since like... the 80's. Before they were even with Universal and working next door to Insomniac. Their track record is more than great, it's fantastic. The original Crash Bandicoot series, the Jak & Daxter's, Uncharted, Uncharted 2; arguably the best game of the generation, and now they've risen through the ranks to become Sony's most important developer. November 1st is circled on every PS3 owners calendar as the most important day of the year. Whats, that? The topic is about GG? Yeah they're pretty good. Not Naughty Dog good. They can create one hell of a universe and stuff, but they need to hire some writers. Killzone could use some likable characters and MGS-esque plot twists please!Not-A-Stalker

*I* need plot twists

I was going to post a pic of M Night Sham-Wow-alon, but changed my mind

personally, I am getting tired of the plot twist trend in games, a plot twist is not even necessary to mess with someone's head (if you want head-messing action)

for instance, did Inglorious Basterds have a plot twist? not really, but the moral ambiguities, the tension, the suspense, the characters, those all made a great story to watch unfold and it was capable of haunting the viewer and staying with them after the movie was over.