Genre critique

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

What genre do you feel you have the strongest grasp on? One that you feel you have the most experience with and therefore feel you have the best ability to critique.

Now pick a game you feel accomplished everything you feel a game in this genre should and a game you feel did the most important aspects very wrong.

I myself am a huge fan of the platform genre. I've played just about every game there is in the genre and have developed a very strong, perhaps snobbish at times, view of what makes a game in this genre succeed or fail. Basically a platformer needs three things to be successful: responsive controls, strong and precise level design, and challenge.

Done right: Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (everything said here also applies to Rayman Legends)

-The controls are perfect and incredibly smooth in this game. DK feels like an extension of your mind. What you want him to do, he does in a very direct manner.

-The level designs are pitch perfect. Every platform and enemy is placed with great deal of foresight and knowledge of what the in game character can do. Not only that, but the level designs give little leeway. They are designed to challenge the player. Everything was made for a very clear and specific reason It's a proper conversation between developer and player. They put up a challenge and you answer them by overcoming that challenge. That's how a developer properly engages the audience in a platformer IMHO.

Done wrong: Puppeteer

-the controls feel a little delayed. The character moves slowly and has a bit of float to him which cuts down on the direct feeling of control games like the new Dks or Raymans have.

-The level designs in this game appear very creative, but the actual gameplay scenarios they present feels rather barren. It's always unclear exactly the kind of experience the developer wants you to have, rather they are more focused on something that appears interesting as apposed to engaging the player with a direct challenge and interesting gameplay scenarios. The game doesn't test the gameplay mechanics or the player. It just forces the player to go through the motions. The engagement isn't there. The persistence of cutscenes and dialogue also deter from the experience. In the end the whole game feels disconnected and sloppy as a result.

Now this is just one person's opinion, but this is a short sample of how I'd legitimately critique this genre and the games in it. ( I wish every reviewer had some kind of short info page like this that outlines their preferences within certain genres)

What about you? (I hope to spark some conversation)

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

The Donkey Kong part of your post really read like you were taking off your clothes and lubing up while typing that out.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@freedomfreak said:

The Donkey Kong part of your post really read like you were taking off your clothes and lubing up while typing that out.

Well it does feel like a game that was specifically tailored for me considering the reasons I love the platforming genre. It hits every possible sweet spot I have. ;)

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

shmups - I'll list a few and explain my reasoning for one

done wrong:

ikaruga, sine mora

most newer "mainstream" shmups have completely random drop rates, scoring opportunities, and control issues (built around analog control systems)... which completely destroys competition due to randomness and overall replayability. everything I just explained is referring to Sine Mora, but the game I will actually talk about - especially seeing as it's the most popular among gamers - is Ikaruga.

I consider Ikaruga one of the best starting points of the genre. It's a commercial success for Treasure due the amount of popularity the game has received (it's been ported from arcade to dreamcast, gamecube, xbox 360, nesicaxlive, android, and now pc/steam). It's a beautiful game, with a gimmicky yet fun polarity system, and I actually consider it one of the best co-op games to play for survival - the way the game is set up, you and your partner are doing the exact same or exact opposite simultaneously per the polarity mechanics and bullet spreads. So what's the problem?

most scoring systems in games are completely arbitrary to the actual gameplay at hand - some make absolutely zero sense. But what do you do when you've 1 credit cleared a shmup you've been playing for survival? you find another reason to create replayability in the same title which many rely on scoring mechanics.

Ikaruga has a scoring system set in place, and it even makes some sense on screen - everything is based around the polarity colors. you basically chain 3 enemies of the same color in a row and you continue this process throughout the entire gaming basing your pathways on your chain. If you do not kill 3 enemies in a row your chain will break. So what's the problem? The scoring system is a complete drag. It implements a very similar chaining system to dodonpachi/dodonpachi daioujou which is legitimately one of the worst scoring systems in the genre. Once you achieve your normal 1CC, you have to relearn the entire game to learn how to score - as is with nearly every other shmup - but scoring can actually be a lot of fun and can completely revitalize the game for someone who has already dedicated themselves to a full clear. Ikaruga is the exact opposite in that the scoring system is boring and overly tedious.

The game is perfect to draw people into the genre with no prior interest. It sucks though, because most interest in the genre starts and dies with Ikaruga. No one knows where to go from there. You constantly hear about Ikaruga from critics being praised as one of the best shooters ever, but you never hear about any other titles in the genre - which leads me to believe that many of these critics start and stop at Ikaruga. It's funny though, this reviewer from rockpapershotgun has been playing Ikaruga for survival, he goes on to call it one of the best shooters ever made, and then he mentions he just started scoring and can't help but be disappointed (that's because it's not the perfect shmup you say it is dude!)

that's because it doesn't have great replayability, but that doesn't stop it from being a great title to play casually!

done right:

battle garegga, progear, mushihimesama futari

I can go on about how these 3 games destroy Ikaruga in both terms of replayability and scoring, but I'll stick to Progear as it's the most fun I've had playing a shmup

Progear is a horizontal steam-punk inspired bullet hell shmup developed by CAVE. It has only been released in arcades due to Capcom's copyright on the IP as the publisher.

Progear has a gem leveling-based scoring system. The controls are based on a two button layout (shot and bomb). By tapping shot you get a rapid fire, by holding shot you get a lock on shot. Your goal is to use rapid fire by tapping to kill enemies when other enemy's bullets are on top of the enemy you're killing. Once you kill the enemy, all the bullets on top and in a radius around the enemy ship turn into gems. Every time you pick up a gem, the next color is in the line (unless you cash out). It goes grey > medium grey > large grey > red > medium red > big red > green > medium green > big green > platinum. once you build your gem counter up to platinum, you will hold down locked shot, and the bullets on top of the next enemy you kill will turn into the highest scoring item which will shoot up your score and start you off from the grey gem again.

you can milk larger enemies to build up your gem counter to platinum, cash in, build up to platinum, cash in, platinum, cash in and then kill the enemy.

I actually had more fun learning the scoring system in Progear than actually playing for survival.

you take a game like Progear that is fun to play for survival, add in a scoring system that is just as fun to learn, and you have a complete package of blissful replayability.

here's a bonus few paragraphs about battle garegga - which has a scoring system almost as tedious as ikaruga, but it redeems itself in seamlessly tying in scoring with survival. In Ikaruga you can play the game for score or survival, in battle garegga you need to play for score in order to survive.

Battle Garegga was released in the late 90s in arcade and later ported to the Sega Saturn. From it's appearance, Garegga looks like your standard run-of-the-mill shmup, but it's much much more. The first title of Raizing's Shinobu Yagawa's "Bat Trilogy" this game still sees an insane amount of competition till this day. Battle Garegga does a fantastic job of creating a rank-based game which ties in scoring and survival into the perfect combination of replayable bliss*.

*it's actually the opposite of bliss and one of the most extreme forms of masochism I've encountered in a video game. Probably the worst title to recommend to a new comer and I would never wish my worst enemy the pain of learning how to play a Yagawa shmup for the first time - but once you do... it's insane and there's no going back.

Battle Garegga employs a rank system in which the difficulty of the game is continually increasing. Any time you shoot, pick up an item, move, use a bomb, or stay alive... the rank increases which in turn gives enemies more bullets, faster bullets, more hp, etc. The only way to lower your rank is to kill yourself and the only way to kill yourself is to gain enough lives by scoring. The amount of lives you have in stock also affects how much your rank goes down when you suicide which is why the majority of pros play the entire game on their last life. The scoring system in the game is a medal chaining system in which enemies will drop medals at different intervals. There's about 20 in total, and you continually work your way up to the highest point value medal - in which all medals following will be of the highest point value. The catch is... if you miss a single medal and there isn't a medal of the same value that remains on the screen... your medal chain will start from the beginning.

The scoring/rank system is actually so much more intricate than how I explained, but on top of that... Garegga also has one of the best soundtracks in any shmup I've played. The replayability of BG is actually insane.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Genre: Videogames

Done right: when the interactivity is entertaining in some aspect

Done wrong: when the interactivity is not entertaining in any meaningful way.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I don't still don't get how Pupperteer got a 9 while TF got a 6. (Both reviewed by the same guy btw) Puppeteer doesn't even beat Returns. It feels more like a walkthrough through a story than a game. I liked it but as a platformer, it's not DK level. At least it's not LBP bad..... can't even finish that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Genre: FPS

Done right: When the game's maps and modes are designed around mechanics and weapons are balanced

Done Wrong: Battlefield 4

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@Some-Mist: Sweet post man. I've never really played a shmup, but I know that a well designed scoring system can turn an alright game in to one of the most addictive and enjoyable experience in this medium. The Devil May Cry series wouldn't be anywhere as good as it's been without it's style based point system.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

The Puppeteer is the better game and GS agrees.

9>6

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Some-Mist: Sweet post man. I've never really played a shmup, but I know that a well designed scoring system can turn an alright game in to one of the most addictive and enjoyable experience in this medium. The Devil May Cry series wouldn't be anywhere as good as it's been without it's style based point system.

thanks :) I actually really liked the concept of the thread, and you're completely right about the DMC series. It's pretty much the exact same concept.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pikminmaniac

@Heil68 said:

9>6

If you want to play that silly score game, then The last of Us is an 8 and Sony's best first party game, inFAMOUS 2 is a 7.5...

Now let's have a real discussion with words. Why do you think a game like Puppeteer is better than DKCTF based on your preferences

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Heil68 said:

9>6

If you want to play that silly score game, then The last of Us is an 8 and Sony's best first party game, inFAMOUS 2 is a 7.5...

Now let's have a real discussion with words. Why do you think a game like Puppeteer is better than DKCTF based on your preferences

Nope, that goes to Uncharted 2-3, which are GS editors Choice Award winning AAAE games.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Heil68 said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

@Heil68 said:

9>6

Nope, that goes to Uncharted 2-3, which are GS editors Choice Award winning AAAE games.

Forza 3's 9.5, Super Mario Galaxy 2's 10, and MGS 4's 10 >>> All games listed above.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Genre: JRPG ;)

Done right: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Last Remnant. Heck, even Enchanted Arms was a ton of fun.

Honorable mention to Nier for being a wonderful piece of shit. It was a lot more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

Done Wrong: FFXIII and friends.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Welp I just beat Bravely Default yesterday with the true ending (haven't maxed out classes and stuff yet though), and I gotta say... I couldn't put that up as being completely wrong. It's not right either though.

Genre: JRPG

Done right: FF VI, V, and IV, Ys series, particularly Origins for me, SMT series, Golden Sun series (third game is questionable)

Done okayish: Bravely Default (I actually like this one more than the above ones mechanics wise, but it also gets a ton wrong, especially in its story with the last 4 or so chapters), Tales of Symphonia (controversial and has some good points in putting it above, but the animations and combat irked me too much for its time), Pokemon, Xenoblade (loved this game but the MMO aspect is not really the direction I like for the genre)

Done wrong: Haven't played many FF games after VI, so I discount them. Honestly can't think of much here that I played aside from Last Story slightly.

All in all I like the old school kinds of JRPG's. At the same time though I can argue that what I think is done right might be holding back the genre a bit, just like how I think Xenoblade might. The point of genre fatigue is not really ideal for a simple critique though, but can definitely be a huge part of it if you wanted it to be. The genre is hard to move forward imo, and the many that have tried failed fairly hard aside from maybe the Tales game.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Done right:

Games that get a 9

Done wrong:

Games that get a 6

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

Done right: Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Last Remnant. Heck, even Enchanted Arms was a ton of fun.

Honorable mention to Nier for being a wonderful piece of shit. It was a lot more enjoyable than it had any right to be.

Last remnant was good?

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

Every game that has to do with third person shooting.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

This is a pretty good topic.

Good enough that you're ruining the SW vibe. I come here for shit topics, hypocrisy, pixel counting, sales and poor trolling.

Get out.

J/K, Will post a legit post later.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Don't feel like typing but mario galaxy did a lot of things right, especially the music. I am just so glad someone brought up puppeteers awful controls. what a horrid piece of over-hyped garbage that game was.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jg4xchamp

@m_machine024 said:

I don't still don't get how Pupperteer got a 9 while TF got a 6. (Both reviewed by the same guy btw) Puppeteer doesn't even beat Returns. It feels more like a walkthrough through a story than a game. I liked it but as a platformer, it's not DK level. At least it's not LBP bad..... can't even finish that game.

He bough into how creative and puppeteer looks and feels compared to everything else he plays, and turned off by how Donkey Kong TF is unapologetic about being more donkey kong. While also not being a fan of the challenging aspects making him retry so much of the game over and over again.

It's fairly easy to see how and why he enjoys that game more.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MlauTheDaft

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Last remnant was good?

As far as I'm concerned it's better than Lost Odyssey.

I suppose that only goes for the PC version however.... Combat turns quickly become excruciatingly long without Turbo Mode and it's nice with the 18 leader party and increased difficulty.

Combat is deceptively complex and I even enjoyed the story very much (for what it was).

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pikminmaniac

@ConanTheStoner said:

This is a pretty good topic.

Good enough that you're ruining the SW vibe. I come here for shit topics, hypocrisy, pixel counting, sales and poor trolling.

Get out.

J/K, Will post a legit post later.

Thanks! I look forward to what you post.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@MlauTheDaft said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Last remnant was good?

I suppose that only goes for the PC version however.... Combat turns quickly become excruciatingly long without Turbo Mode and it's nice with the 18 leader party and increased difficulty.

Combat is deceptively complex and I even enjoyed the story very much (for what it was).

Yeah? I might give it a shot then I've been itching to play a good modern JRPG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#25  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Oh look, the daily pikminmaniac thread of svckin Nintendo's 1st party d1ck and shitting on Sony's 1st party

You're getting really predictable

Sheep still butthurt over the fact Puppeteer got a better grade than DK...

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Pikminmaniac

@Vatusus said:

Oh look, the daily pikminmaniac thread of svckin Nintendo's 1st party d1ck and shitting on Sony's 1st party

You're getting really predictable

Sheep still butthurt over the fact Puppeteer got a better grade than DK...

I make a thread every two weeks or so... If you have nothing constructive to say, this isn't the thread for you. I can at least somewhat articulate why I think what I do. Can you? Show me you're better than this.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 m_machine024

@jg4xchamp said:

@m_machine024 said:

He bough into how creative and puppeteer looks and feels compared to everything else he plays, and turned off by how Donkey Kong TF is unapologetic about being more donkey kong. While also not being a fan of the challenging aspects making him retry so much of the game over and over again.

Cuz it felt fresher and was easier? Gotcha! :P

I still think the scores are too far apart. I don't mind the praise Puppeteer is getting (good game), but for the reviewer to call DK one of the most boring platformers he played........ even if it is more DK, that's too much. :/ Both games are well crafted, in their own way. Oh well, opinions!

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jg4xchamp

@m_machine024 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@m_machine024 said:

I still think the scores are too far apart. I don't mind the praise Puppeteer is getting (good game), but for the reviewer to call DK one of the most boring platformers he played........ even if it is more DK, that's too much. :/ Both games are well crafted, in their own way. Oh well, opinions!

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with him(didn't play pupeteer, have no desire to). But I'd rank DK as a game a little higher. It's good, well made, pretty satisfying. A lot of the stuff I enjoy about a videogame. I absolutely agree with them on the notion that the game devoid of anything progressive or creative with anything it does. The game is a mish mash of shit they've done in the entire DK series if not the entire genre ad-nauseam at this point. Still I'd argue well crafted. And that much should at the least be celebrated.

I also disagreed with the boss fights no check point thing. Not because I don't get that it does feel like a chore that you have to do the fights from set 1 all over. I get that. The problem is those fights are only interesting because they are multi-phase in the first place, that throwing in a check point would just make them a joke. It's not a W101 scenario where the forgiving checkpoints works because the scoring system is there. In this it would just make the fights a battle of going through the motions long enough for you just got through the level as the checkpoints fell in your favor.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I have a strange feeling this is nothing more than a dk is amazing, gs was da wrong type thread.

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 m_machine024

@jg4xchamp said:

@m_machine024 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@m_machine024 said:

Yeah, I don't necessarily agree with him(didn't play pupeteer, have no desire to). But I'd rank DK as a game a little higher. It's good, well made, pretty satisfying. A lot of the stuff I enjoy about a videogame. I absolutely agree with them on the notion that the game devoid of anything progressive or creative with anything it does. The game is a mish mash of shit they've done in the entire DK series if not the entire genre ad-nauseam at this point. Still I'd argue well crafted. And that much should at the least be celebrated.

I also disagreed with the boss fights no check point thing. Not because I don't get that it does feel like a chore that you have to do the fights from set 1 all over. I get that. The problem is those fights are only interesting because they are multi-phase in the first place, that throwing in a check point would just make them a joke. It's not a W101 scenario where the forgiving checkpoints works because the scoring system is there. In this it would just make the fights a battle of going through the motions long enough for you just got through the level as the checkpoints fell in your favor.

Ya many reviews beside of Gamespot mentioned the con you said. I don't disagree either. The good outweights the bad greatly however. :P And yeah boss battles would have been a breeze. -__-

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Genre: Videogames

Done right: when the interactivity is entertaining in some aspect

Done wrong: when the interactivity is not entertaining in any meaningful way.

BAM nailed it!

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#32 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Platforming all the way. It's the genre that got me into video games (at age three, over twenty-one years ago), and it's still the one that excites me the most.

Good platformers have: Well hidden secrets that require skill and exploration within a linear construct, diverse stage design and activity, and a unique, captivating presentation.

Bad platformers have: Clunky or unusual, frustrating controls, bland aesthetics, empty spaces or pointless areas, and they are extremely repetitive in their presented challenges.

Series that gets right: Super Mario

- In the Super Mario games, the aesthetics are timeless, the mechanics are flawless, the difficulty rises at a perfect pace, and there is always something new to do. Take Super Mario Galaxy 2 as an example. That game is a thrill from opening scene until the very last green star in Grand Master Galaxy; it's really more than a platformer; it's a masterful compilation of a myriad of genres but is a platformer at heart.

Other platformers that get it right: Donkey Kong Country series, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Crash Bandicoot 2, Crash Bandicoot 3: Warped, Jak series, Fez, Braid, Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends...etc.

Series that gets it wrong: Ghosts/Ghouls N' Goblins

- Fails to strive for the standards that the Super Mario series established long ago. And yes, I understand that Arthur's awkward control and the flood of overpowering enemies is intentional and essential to the series' identity, but that doesn't make it right. I am not saying that the Ghosts N' Goblins games are not decent, but I am saying that it is nearly impossible to enjoy them because of their intentionally bad design and unfairness. On top of that, you get punished for curiosity (exploration may result in a cheap death), and these games gives you horrible weapons. Furthermore, the stages are nothing more than making ridiculous jumps with a character who controls horribly and dodging a flood of annoying, never-ending enemies. The music and charm is good, but they fail in gameplay.

Other games that get it wrong: Bubsy 3D, Croc, Sly Cooper (not bad, just repetitive), Crash Bandicoot 1, Crash Bandicoot minus Naughty Dog (lifeless in characterization, presentation, and tired in gameplay), Spyro the Dragon minus Insomniac...and others.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Last remnant was good?

I really enjoyed it. It was easily one of the best JRPGs of last gen, maybe the best.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MlauTheDaft
@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@MlauTheDaft said:

Last remnant was good?

I really enjoyed it. It was easily one of the best JRPGs of last gen, maybe the best.

Indeed. Steam says I've spent 275 hours on it. That's an insane amount of time for me and well worth it for a single player game.