Gears of War MP online horridly over-rated.

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nteks
Member since 2007 • 673 Posts
Co-op Online is awesome though. 8)

but the MP is another story.

Once you see past the pretty graphics.

It lacks Maps, weapons and Gametypes.

Most maps are small and predictable

It always turns into both teams charge up to the center of the map.

"take some cover" Fire off some uber useless rounds from teh Uber Lancer for Effect.

Then once each team gets close enough = Shotgun Squaredance. In which both teams blast until one team turns into Dog Crap "literally" and 1 dude is left standing admist the plie of human and locust piles.

Graw 2 MP >>> Gears of War MP.

Nugtoka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nugtoka
Member since 2003 • 1812 Posts
Overrulled the game is fun to play online and thats about all i have to say about that.
Eragon_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Eragon_11
Member since 2004 • 5022 Posts
thanks for your opinion. 
xXHackettXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 xXHackettXx
Member since 2006 • 3560 Posts

"take some cover" Fire off some uber useless rounds from teh Uber Lancer for Effect.

Then once each team gets close enough = Shotgun Squaredance. In which both teams blast until one team turns into Dog Crap "literally" and 1 dude is left standing admist the plie of human and locust piles.

Nteks
You have 8 posts...
Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nteks
[QUOTE="Nteks"]Once you see past the pretty graphics.

xXHackettXx
You have 8 posts...

Gears only has 3 game modes. your point?
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts
yeah it doesnt have enough variety i got bored with it quick(i only play with friends because they make it fun)
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

Actually guys.

I have to agree with this guy.

Everything he says in that post is true... most of the time.

And the modes are basically the same. Kill the other team to win the same way you do in the other matches, except one is where you have to blow up one of their body parts to kill them and the other you have to kill the leader to win.

Basically the same and true. Not oppinon.

escocashflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 escocashflow
Member since 2006 • 194 Posts
[QUOTE="xXHackettXx"][QUOTE="Nteks"]Once you see past the pretty graphics.

Nteks
You have 8 posts...

Gears only has 3 game modes. you point?

You only have 10 post...
kentlucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kentlucky
Member since 2003 • 354 Posts
What does an unpredictable map look like?  
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#11 jdknight21
Member since 2006 • 3282 Posts

The MP wasn't over-rated until the patch.  You I disagree that it is too predictable and is a run up the middle experience because if you communicate your tactics with your team will change.  Just because someone runs to a weapon as fast as they can, doesn't mean you can't go for another weapon or adjust to take them out knowing they are going for it.  You forgot the big reason people feel it is over-rated now is host lag.  Co-op is great, but host lag has made many of us jump ship to other games since the patch has made the lag the worst of any shooter I have ever played on-line.

EDIT: The maps are actually strategically pretty well thought out.  They may not be sprawling like GRAW but they could hold their own against %95 of any maps I've seen today.

-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I love it, regardless of what you say:)
Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts
Gears of War is fun online, and they will continue to addon to it to make it more enjoyable.  Now weither it lasts for as long as Halo has multiplayer wise idk.
Nteks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nteks
[QUOTE="Nteks"][QUOTE="xXHackettXx"][QUOTE="Nteks"]Once you see past the pretty graphics.

escocashflow
You have 8 posts...

You only have 10 post...

Gears of War only has 10 maps your point? Don't post if you can't bring a valid arguement to the table.
Sensui1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 Sensui1986
Member since 2005 • 390 Posts
Let's just say that the term "online" is overrated.
Nowadays a game needs online play to be good.

anyway, it all depends on the people you play with.
If you have fun people to play with, every game online is fun.
YellowPik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 YellowPik
Member since 2004 • 14169 Posts
Here we go.... the first of many Gears Of War is overrated!11!!" posts...
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

Once you see past the pretty graphics. Nteks

Yes they are pretty arent they and I never grow tired of looking at them.

It lacks Maps, weapons and Gametypes.Nteks

Disagree and agree. More gametypes would be nice but I think the maps are excellent and varied.

It always turns into both teams charge up to the center of the map. Nteks

Untrue. I see guys doing different things all the time and I always try to do something strategic or at least innovative over what failed me last round.

"take some cover" Fire off some uber useless rounds from teh Uber Lancer for Effect.Nteks

Meh. I generally line up my target and try not to waste ammo but thats just me.

Then once each team gets close enough = Shotgun Squaredance. In which both teams blast until one team turns into Dog Crap "literally" and 1 dude is left standing admist the plie of human and locust piles. Nteks

LOL!:lol: Yeah I see this a lot lately but that's what chainsaw ownage is for. If you dont know that than your a noob.:wink:

Graw 2 MP >>> Gears of War MP.Nteks

Havent played it yet but hope to soon.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
Overrulled the game is fun to play online and thats about all i have to say about that. Nugtoka

It's the 3 million Gears players that have over ruled him :lol:
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
Counter Strike has only a few modes as well, guess that means it sucks so much.
Kayrod29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20 Kayrod29
Member since 2005 • 5301 Posts
Here we go.... the first of many Gears Of War is overrated!11!!" posts...YellowPik
System Wars rule: Any game that's AAA on Xbox 360 is overrated. That's how fanboys like to damage control.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TyrantDragon55
Member since 2004 • 6851 Posts
I actually have to agree with this, I hate how almost every match I play lately devolves into a shotgun match.
Codename33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Codename33
Member since 2005 • 2719 Posts

xXHackettXx
You have 8 posts...

You have JUST 955 posts. I guess I can say that monkeys fly and big rigs will be GOTY THIS year, cause I have more posts than you.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

[QUOTE="Nugtoka"]Overrulled the game is fun to play online and thats about all i have to say about that. AdobeArtist

So why do so many people here go around saying WoW sucks? "Argumentum ad populum" isnt the best choice.

JeffGenocideX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 JeffGenocideX
Member since 2004 • 4853 Posts

[QUOTE="AdobeArtist"][QUOTE="Nugtoka"]Overrulled the game is fun to play online and thats about all i have to say about that. XaosII

So why do so many people here go around saying WoW sucks? "Argumentum ad populum" isnt the best choice.

I hate WoW.
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

I hate WoW.JeffGenocideX

You and me both brudder.

ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
I'd only agree with the content of the multi player. With such hype, they couldn't put in a CTF mode? Or how about this: COG protects a Raven, Locust protect an emergance hole, and as long as either are standing the teams can respawn. I mean there's nothing creative in the MP portion, it's like they just didn't try.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TyrantDragon55

I'd only agree with the content of the multi player. With such hype, they couldn't put in a CTF mode? Or how about this: COG protects a Raven, Locust protect an emergance hole, and as long as either are standing the teams can respawn. I mean there's nothing creative in the MP portion, it's like they just didn't try.ihatebugers

They didn't really, Epic's main focus on Gears of War was the single player and the Co-op. The versus mode was just an after-thought.

tag_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tag_001
Member since 2004 • 1595 Posts
Sadly it is, I thought the 3rd person view and tactical elements would be great for online play but the game is unbalanced. R6:Vegas got it right though.
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts
Here we go.... the first of many Gears Of War is overrated!11!!" posts...YellowPik
The first?
sunscorch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sunscorch
Member since 2004 • 2512 Posts
i'm glad i don't play w/ the same people you do. Flanking people FTW!
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
I don't think your points are the reason it sucks now. I played a ton of GeoW online, but I can't touch it anymore. The LAG is just beyond annoying now.
Truth-slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Truth-slayer
Member since 2004 • 2510 Posts

[QUOTE="ihatebugers"]I'd only agree with the content of the multi player. With such hype, they couldn't put in a CTF mode? Or how about this: COG protects a Raven, Locust protect an emergance hole, and as long as either are standing the teams can respawn. I mean there's nothing creative in the MP portion, it's like they just didn't try.TyrantDragon55

They didn't really, Epic's main focus on Gears of War was the single player and the Co-op. The versus mode was just an after-thought.

Then why was the single-player/ co-op so short? If it was it's main focus they could of atleast make the game last long than 8 hours....
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
Yea, its pretty bad for an Epic game, they usually have alot of maps and modes, UT04 has over 100 maps.
ihatebugers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34 ihatebugers
Member since 2006 • 1541 Posts
[QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"]

[QUOTE="ihatebugers"]I'd only agree with the content of the multi player. With such hype, they couldn't put in a CTF mode? Or how about this: COG protects a Raven, Locust protect an emergance hole, and as long as either are standing the teams can respawn. I mean there's nothing creative in the MP portion, it's like they just didn't try.Truth-slayer

Then why was the single-player/ co-op so short? If it was it's main focus they could of atleast make the game last long than 8 hours....

It makes me wonder if they really tried past the graphics, maps, and mechanics of the game. And don't even get me sarted on the story.
Playerpat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Playerpat0
Member since 2004 • 1698 Posts
This thread = crap. Gridlock is always boom and snipe. How is that shotguns only? Everytime on War Machine it is the Torque Boe, on Raven Down Grenades play a huge roll but probably the number one map for shotgun blasts, Fuel Depot Hammer and snipe plus grenades, Mosoleum Boom, Snipes, torque, and nades come into play... and every map is the same with different weapons that play a huge roll. Just because you suck TC and can only use shotgun don't come on here crying about it. Edit; As for the Host lag, I usually play 5-10 games when i do play gears at one time and I usually get one game thats bad.
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#36 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
I agree, I really didn't think it was all that great. The single player was a blast, but too short. The game to me had no lifespan, though I understand alot of people loved it.
coolguy1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37 coolguy1111
Member since 2005 • 3991 Posts
Counter Strike has only a few modes as well, guess that means it sucks so much.Kayrod29
But CS is a different story, in GeOW its not as competitive and doesnt have the teamplay of css.  And CS was a free game, GeOW was 60$.
TyrantDragon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TyrantDragon55
[QUOTE="TyrantDragon55"]

[QUOTE="ihatebugers"]I'd only agree with the content of the multi player. With such hype, they couldn't put in a CTF mode? Or how about this: COG protects a Raven, Locust protect an emergance hole, and as long as either are standing the teams can respawn. I mean there's nothing creative in the MP portion, it's like they just didn't try.Truth-slayer

1. Most shooters have shorter campaigns than other genres, Gears' campaign is about average length for a shooter.

2. It's extremely fun while it lasts.

3. It's very replayable, due to the intelligence of the enemies and of course, the co-op.

Playerpat0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Playerpat0
Member since 2004 • 1698 Posts
[QUOTE="Kayrod29"]Counter Strike has only a few modes as well, guess that means it sucks so much.coolguy1111
But CS is a different story, in GeOW its not as competitive and doesnt have the teamplay of css.  And CS was a free game, GeOW was 60$.

No team play? Ae you crazy? GEoW depends on team play. If you don't talk as a team or stick together in at least groups of 2 99% of the time you lose the match. If that isnt team based idk what is.
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jdknight21
I think he meant team as in groups of squads fighting over a number of different vantage points, not just 1 squad that may split up to vie for weapon placement as vantage points when he mentioned 'teambased'.  IMO Gears could have used random weapon spawning to really help put a nice twist on the strategy side.
kingsfan_0333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kingsfan_0333
Member since 2006 • 1878 Posts
It the MP was overrated than most people would have realized that by now and the game wouldn't be the most popular console online game right now. 
kort-nilsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kort-nilsen
Member since 2004 • 1161 Posts

[QUOTE="Nteks"][QUOTE="xXHackettXx"][QUOTE="Nteks"]Once you see past the pretty graphics.

escocashflow
You have 8 posts...

You only have 10 post...

You only have 174 posts, and you're only lvl 15. T3H NOOB!

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
YAY!. Now I know Nteks doesn't like Gears of War MP.  
jvonrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44 jvonrader
Member since 2006 • 2183 Posts

The maps are indeed smaller than most games, but making large maps with the gameplay mechanics this has would make this a huge camp-fest behind cover.  It's a good thing they're smaller.

It sounds like you've been playing a lot of Gridlock - that map does tend to have the two teams rush for the center, most of the time the sniper.  Raven Down's design also can lead people to the center sometimes.  But other maps don't really have that problem.  Clocktower, Old Bones, and Fuel Depot specifically strike me as 3 whose fights seem to play out in different places each time you play.

I have no problem with the weapon variety whatsoever.  Two rifle variations, two pistol variations, a shotgun, a sniper rifle, a torque bow, a rocket launcher (boomshot), smoke and frag grenades, and the Hammer of Dawn.

Works for me.

jamesfoti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jamesfoti
Member since 2005 • 178 Posts
Co-op Online is awesome though. 8)

but the MP is another story.

Nteks
i agree 100 percent
-voodoo_child-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -voodoo_child-
Member since 2006 • 1648 Posts

xXHackettXx
You have 8 posts...

Therefore he's not allowed an opinion? OMG snobbery in SW is CRAZY!
rockstar183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rockstar183
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
why are ppl bashing this guy when he is speaking 100% truth . gears = shotgun squaredance
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jdknight21
It the MP was overrated than most people would have realized that by now and the game wouldn't be the most popular console online game right now.  kingsfan_0333
Which makes me sad at the state of what my console brethren will settle for sometimes in their on-line MP gaming.  This game would be a gem with some server side hit detection, but we'd need Epic servers and sharper hit detection.
-Sniper99-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 -Sniper99-
Member since 2004 • 8983 Posts
I think he meant team as in groups of squads fighting over a number of different vantage points, not just 1 squad that may split up to vie for weapon placement as vantage points when he mentioned 'teambased'.  IMO Gears could have used random weapon spawning to really help put a nice twist on the strategy side.jdknight21
Yeah, random weapons would be interesting.
jdknight21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jdknight21
[QUOTE="jdknight21"]I think he meant team as in groups of squads fighting over a number of different vantage points, not just 1 squad that may split up to vie for weapon placement as vantage points when he mentioned 'teambased'.  IMO Gears could have used random weapon spawning to really help put a nice twist on the strategy side.-Sniper99-
Yeah, random weapons would be interesting.

That and my post above, I actually think the game could have really good on-line MP if it ever makes it to the PC.  I mean, it was great until the patch.