Gears 2 maxing out 360s power?

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts
This is a serious question.  Does Gears of War 2 max out the 360s full power?  I'm unsure for now ... what do you guys think?
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50650 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised, it's a pretty slick looking game.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
This is a serious question.  Does Gears of War 2 max out the 360s full power?  I'm unsure for now ... what do you guys think?nVidiaGaMer
Alan Wake's jacket says "no"! :P
taj7575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 taj7575
Member since 2008 • 12084 Posts
yeah. its over 9000!
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krigon
Member since 2005 • 5591 Posts
That was said when Gears 1 came out. It's not about maxing the powers of the system, it's about more efficient coding. We will probably see a better looking game (alan wake) then Gears 2 next year.
Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Krigon
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]This is a serious question.  Does Gears of War 2 max out the 360s full power?  I'm unsure for now ... what do you guys think?nervmeister

Even though i just stated that the alan wake will look better on my previous post. The recent alan wake video was the PC version.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nVidiaGaMer
One more thing since Gears of War is going to be a trilogy will Gears 3 be on the 360 or the new XBOX?  I would also like to see fully destructable cover this time around  so it'll further add to the challenge of the game.
nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts
[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]This is a serious question.  Does Gears of War 2 max out the 360s full power?  I'm unsure for now ... what do you guys think?Krigon

Even though i just stated that the alan wake will look better on my previous post. The recent alan wake video was the PC version.

Never mind. :P
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

No one here would be able to tell you that unless they worked for Epic.

The thing is, people (mostly fanboys) said Gears of War maxed out the Xbox 360 and, as you can clearly see, Gears of War 2 looks better. So no. I don't think Gears 2 maxed out the 360.

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 nVidiaGaMer

[QUOTE="nervmeister"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]This is a serious question.  Does Gears of War 2 max out the 360s full power?  I'm unsure for now ... what do you guys think?Krigon

Even then the PC version will not look much better. 

pyromaniac223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 pyromaniac223
Member since 2008 • 5896 Posts

[QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="nervmeister"]Alan Wake's jacket says "no"! :PnVidiaGaMer

It will look much, much better. The demo they ran was on what kind of processor again?
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="Krigon"] Even though i just stated that the alan wake will look better on my previous post. The recent alan wake video was the PC version.pyromaniac223

It will look much, much better. The demo they ran was on what kind of processor again?

Wrong if the developers aren't lazy it should look the same.  

Krigon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Krigon

[QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="nervmeister"]Alan Wake's jacket says "no"! :PnVidiaGaMer

You can't state that because you don't know.

Let's go by other games out there. Fallout 3 looks alot better on the PC version, gears 1 looks alot better on the PC. Mirror's edge has PhysX on the pc making which is one of the reason why it looks significantly better.

Jean_rainier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jean_rainier
Member since 2004 • 517 Posts

gears2 on pc will look better than 360 coz thats how it is with gears 1. depending on ur rig obviously but 360 is a safer bet, and earlier...

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="Krigon"] Even though i just stated that the alan wake will look better on my previous post. The recent alan wake video was the PC version.Krigon

Let's go by other games out there. Fallout 3 looks alot better on the PC version, gears 1 looks alot better on the PC. Mirror's edge has PhysX on the pc making which is one of the reason why it looks significantly better.

Look at Bioshock looked the same on 360 as it did on my PC maxed out.  Now the Alan Wake demo from 2006/2007 ran on Quad Core QX6800 and a Geforce 7900.  7900 is like the PS3 gpu the 360 one is better plus the 360 cpu is no slouch.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts
There's still plenty of optimization that can be done to get minor improvement's in performance and graphics, but I think Gears 2 is pretty close. I think the last few games the 360 squeezes out will look at least as good as KZ2 if not better.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts
Gears 2 is a great looking game, but judging by all the pop ins, it would be hard to make a game LOOK better without a hit on performance. Depends on your definition of 'maxing out power'
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nVidiaGaMer

Gears 2 is a great looking game, but judging by all the pop ins, it would be hard to make a game LOOK better without a hit on performance. Depends on your definition of 'maxing out power'Couth_

I just beat the game and I didn't notice any pop in and there was only minor lag at one point when on the brumak.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

The PC version will look much better man:roll:
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Couth_

[QUOTE="Couth_"]Gears 2 is a great looking game, but judging by all the pop ins, it would be hard to make a game LOOK better without a hit on performance. Depends on your definition of 'maxing out power'nVidiaGaMer

I just beat the game and I didn't notice any pop in and there was only minor lag at one point when on the brumak.

Are you serious? :? I noticed pop in off of the bat. In the training mission the truck in there looked like play dough for a couple of seconds
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="pyromaniac223"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

nVidiaGaMer

You don't know much about Harddware do you? the 360 can only run gears at 30 FPS with lots of dips when it gets intence. The PC version runs at 60 FPS, runs at a higher res., AA and AF, And overrall textures and effects look much better. and so depending on how alan wake looks so far I am saying the PC version will be ALOT better then the 360

Janton3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Janton3
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts

nVidiaGaMer

don't you mean if he developers are lazy, they will look the same?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15592 Posts
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="Couth_"]Gears 2 is a great looking game, but judging by all the pop ins, it would be hard to make a game LOOK better without a hit on performance. Depends on your definition of 'maxing out power'Couth_

Are you serious? :? I noticed pop in off of the bat. In the training mission the truck in there looked like play dough for a couple of seconds

There's no way in hell he's serious. Even with the harddrive install I can notice texture popin.
Janton3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Janton3
Member since 2005 • 319 Posts
[QUOTE="Couth_"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

Vaasman

There's no way in hell he's serious. Even with the harddrive install I can notice texture popin.

he might be serious, maybe the "fade-in" threw him off.
Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Couth_
[QUOTE="Vaasman"][QUOTE="Couth_"] Are you serious? :? I noticed pop in off of the bat. In the training mission the truck in there looked like play dough for a couple of secondsJanton3

he might be serious, maybe the "fade-in" threw him off.

Yeah at first I though it looked cool and thought, maybe that's just a cool effect they did on purpose. Then I came to my senses
Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#26 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
Yes TC, Gears two is maxking outs 3-sixty's POWAH!!
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
You don't know much about Harddware do you? the 360 can only run gears at 30 FPS with lots of dips when it gets intence. The PC version runs at 60 FPS, runs at a higher res., AA and AF, And overrall textures and effects look much better. and so depending on how alan wake looks so far I am saying the PC version will be ALOT better then the 360JangoWuzHere
Not saying your wrong (I know the PC version of Gears looks better),but the 360 version did not have "lots of dips"...no matter how intense it got. Gears 1 only dipped on the last level if you got on the turret. Gears 2 doesn't dip at all...for me anyways.
verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

Is it really even possible to max out power on a console.

Even when they claim it does, games can still get better. :?

Plus maxing it out would be bad, right?  Like causing failures in hardware and such.  

So in my mind.... maxing a conole's power = bad/fail.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

Is it really even possible to max out power on a console.

Even when they claim it does, games can still get better. :?

Plus maxing it out would be bad, right?  Like causing failures in hardware and such.  

So in my mind.... maxing a conole's power = bad/fail.

verbtex
I'm sure the manufacturer had heat in mind (Excluding the 360) so maxing it out wouldn't hurt it at all. If the hardware is somehow overclocked and you begin to push the hardware then that can be damaging,but I doubt it on stock clocks and cooling.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts
For the time being, it's possible. Gears 1 really pushed the 360 right to the edge. That said, now that Epic is finished with Gears 2, expect the improvements to trickle into other UE3.5 titles.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere
[QUOTE="JangoWuzHere"] You don't know much about Harddware do you? the 360 can only run gears at 30 FPS with lots of dips when it gets intence. The PC version runs at 60 FPS, runs at a higher res., AA and AF, And overrall textures and effects look much better. and so depending on how alan wake looks so far I am saying the PC version will be ALOT better then the 360killab2oo5
Not saying your wrong (I know the PC version of Gears looks better),but the 360 version did not have "lots of dips"...no matter how intense it got. Gears 1 only dipped on the last level if you got on the turret. Gears 2 doesn't dip at all...for me anyways.

When I use the hammer of god in the first gears it always dips a little.
KSU-Wildcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KSU-Wildcat
Member since 2008 • 859 Posts
Threads like these are stupid. I remember seeing these threads when the original Gears came out. Neither console will be maxed out, unless it is in their last year. The Wii will never be maxed (nobody will try).
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
There will never be a game that truely maxes out a system so I dont get why this is a constant topic.
PC_X360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 PC_X360
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
Gears2 only used 65.420% of the xbox 360's power.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

Gears2 only used 65.420% of the xbox 360's power.PC_X360

Where do you get theses numbers?

RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts
If it did i wouldn't mind. The game simply looks amazing.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#38 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

We all know that once a console is maxed out it won't be able to make great games anymore.

:roll:

BudsMcGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BudsMcGreen
Member since 2008 • 841 Posts
This is a serious question.  Does Gears of War 2 max out the 360s full power?  I'm unsure for now ... what do you guys think?nVidiaGaMer
I think a company like Id will probably be closer to maxing out the system with games like RAGE and Doom 4. Id always makes amazing engines for its time.
3picuri3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 3picuri3
Member since 2006 • 9618 Posts

well mgs4 maxed out the PS3 power - i mean it's kojima and he had to have the game rendered at sub-HD resolution to maintain a decent framerate. 

i think that considering kojima is most cows god, and they pretty much all love mgs4 - this fact would be irrefutable. especially considering how angry cows get about lazy devs like Valve working with the PS3. I mean, Kojima can't be lazy right? rright?

*puts on goggles to protect from cow brains exploding* 

gears 2 improved on gears 1, so i think if anything it's showing how the 360 has some more left in the tank..  

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bebi_vegeta

We all know that once a console is maxed out it won't be able to make great games anymore.

SpinoRaptor24

I think we were talking about graphic wise...

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SpinoRaptor24
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

Bebi_vegeta

You don't need gears graphics to make a great game.

D-Throne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 D-Throne
Member since 2008 • 92 Posts
Not sure, why won't you ask Epic?
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

nVidiaGaMer

it is not possible to run cod4 @1680 x 1050 on the 360 and look anywhere near as good as the pc version so how do you expect alan wake to be any different? x360 is less powerful than a 8600gt, the only way for alan wake to look close to the pc version would be to run it in 640 x 480 or less
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Bebi_vegeta
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"][QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"]

SpinoRaptor24

I think you`re in the wrong topic, this is clearly a graphic discussion and nothing to do with greatness of a game.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="Krigon"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

nVidiaGaMer

Look at Bioshock looked the same on 360 as it did on my PC maxed out.  Now the Alan Wake demo from 2006/2007 ran on Quad Core QX6800 and a Geforce 7900.  7900 is like the PS3 gpu the 360 one is better plus the 360 cpu is no slouch.

wrong ps3 gpu = mostly 7600gt with a bit of 7800 in it, the fact is 7800/7900 series is now seen as the cards for medium settings, by the time alan wake comes out 8800 or better cards will be mainstream and they are over 4x the power of ps3. bioshock doesn't look much better because on the 360 it runs a puny resolutions and there are much better looking games now. a 8600gt can max out bioshock, what does that tell you? alan wake will be like crysis and use the highend hardware to the max which consoles can't match anymore.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SpinoRaptor24
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

I think you`re in the wrong topic, this is clearly a graphic discussion and nothing to do with greatness of a game.

TC didn't specify a graphics only discussion.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bebi_vegeta

SpinoRaptor24

Comon, read title...

SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SpinoRaptor24
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Comon, read title...

Power =/= Graphics only.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Bebi_vegeta

SpinoRaptor24

Comon, read title...

Power =/= Graphics only.

Oh really? Then please tell me what it means?