Gears 1 sales on a MUCH smaller user base VS. Killzone 2 sales

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheNewspaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheNewspaper
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts

The unknown Gears 1, without any earlier games,on a much smaller userbase, sold 1 million in 2 weeks. Source.

The sequel and hotly anticipated FPS, on a muchlarger userbase than Gears 1, sold 1 million in 1 MONTH and A HALF.

---------------

Tell me, what's better? To sell 1 million copies in 2 weeks on a SMALL userbase when you are UNKNOWN,

or to sell 1 million copies in ONE and a HALF month with a much BIGGER userbase when you're a HOTLY anticipated sequel?

-----------

Fact: Gears 1 was the first game in an entirely new series - nothing established.

Gears 1 was released when there were much fewer 360 than there are PS3 now.

Gears 1 STILL managed to sell faster than the HUGELY anticipated PS3 FPS sequel.

------------

Oh, and don't come with "you play sales lol rofl", we also know that the system with the most A, AA and AAA games is 360. But now, what do you think of Killzon 2 sales vs Gears 1 ?

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 wayne_kar
Member since 2009 • 2090 Posts

FACT MS know how to market

FACT Sony do not

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

So what? Two good games.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts

The unknown Gears 1, without any earlier games,on a much smaller userbase, sold 1 million in 2 weeks. Source.

The sequel and hotly anticipated FPS, on a muchlarger userbase than Gears 1, sold 1 million in 1 MONTH and A HALF.

---------------

Tell me, what's better? To sell 1 million copies in 2 weeks on a SMALL userbase when you are UNKNOWN,

or to sell 1 million copies in ONE and a HALF month with a much BIGGER userbase when you're a HOTLY anticipated sequel?

-----------

Fact: Gears 1 was the first game in an entirely new series - nothing established.

Gears 1 STILL managed to sell faster than the HUGELY anticipated PS3 FPS sequel.

------------

Oh, and don't come with "you play sales lol rofl", we also know that the system with the most A, AA and AAA games is 360. But now, what do you think of Killzon 2 sales vs Gears 1 ?

TheNewspaper

I think you care about this too much.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
Killzone 2 was only anticipated by the core gaming community. Outside our little insulated world, there was little knowledge about Killzone 2, whereas Gears did appeal a lot to the Halo crowd on the 360.

Just saying.....Also, a million units is a great feat for any game, and doing it in one country in a month and a half is still quite good.
Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

FACT Sony do not

wayne_kar
absolutely, until sony build a proper marketing campaign they will never reach halo sales.
M1KES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 M1KES
Member since 2003 • 750 Posts

Gears 1 came out at a time where very few good games existed... People didnt have much of a choice back then.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

---------------

-----------

------------

TheNewspaper
both gears 1 and 2 will outsell kilzzone 2 anyway, so whats your point
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpruceCaboose

Gears 1 came out at a time where very few good games existed... People didnt have much of a choice back then.

M1KES
Really?
Slambo86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Slambo86
Member since 2009 • 912 Posts

M1KES
Thats another good factor, competition is MUCH stronger these days and FPS's have been done to death. Gears debuted at the time where games like RE4 pushed the 3rd person genre and revolutionised it. At the time, Gears was a fresh choice and with the unique cover system it was something to definitely try, along with the marketing..Gears was HARD to miss. K2 debuted after Halo 3 and COD4, etc.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

---------------

-----------

------------

TheNewspaper

So TC here are 2 questions for you

1) Which would you rather play a MEDIOCRE GAME that sold 10 million copies or a GREAT GAME that sold 2 million copies?????

2) What wrong did the PS3 do to you that made you hate it so much and feel the urge to create bashing threads on a daily basis ?????

PandaBear86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 PandaBear86
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
Agreed. If anything, Gears 1 MADE the Xbox 360 get a larger install base, since it encourages alot of people to buy the console :)
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wayne_kar

[QUOTE="TheNewspaper"]

---------------

-----------

------------

Malta_1980

1) Which would you rather play a MEDIOCRE GAME that sold 10 million copies or a GREAT GAME that sold 2 million copies?????

2) What wrong did the PS3 do to you that made you hate it so much and feel the urge to create bashing threads on a daily basis ?????

but gears is NOT a mediocre game.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpruceCaboose

Malta_1980
Doesn't Gears have a higher rating on both aggregate review sites, and a higher rating here?
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Jade_Monkey

but gears is NOT a mediocre game. wayne_kar

That's your opinion.

M1KES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 M1KES
Member since 2003 • 750 Posts

Really?SpruceCaboose

wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 wayne_kar

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"] but gears is NOT a mediocre game. Jade_Monkey

That's your opinion.

critical opinion of gears is that its a superb game. did it not get game of the year on GS.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SpruceCaboose

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Really?M1KES

Your owl makes a compelling argument.

PoppaGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PoppaGamer
Member since 2009 • 1629 Posts
You forget to mention that the amount of games out to compete with these titles at the time of release varies quite a bit. How many other options did 360 owners have to play when Gears 1 came out? Not a ton. How many other options do PS3 owners have to play besideas KZ2 right now? A lot more.
Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jade_Monkey

[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"] but gears is NOT a mediocre game. wayne_kar

That's your opinion.

critical opinion of gears is that its a superb game. did it not get game of the year on GS.

That still doesn't make it fact. You can say the majority thought it was not a mediocre game, but not everyone thought that. I thought it was a good game but no where near as good as a GOTY canidate.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Malta_1980

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

SpruceCaboose

Doesn't Gears have a higher rating on both aggregate review sites, and a higher rating here?

wasnt referring to KZ2 or Geow1 when i asked that question... i wanted just to point out that gamers should care about the quality of games not how much they sell...

I enjoyed Geow1, when i got the 360 that along Halo3 were the first 2 games i got :)

yoyo462001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 yoyo462001
Member since 2005 • 7535 Posts

You forget to mention that the amount of games out to compete with these titles at the time of release varies quite a bit. How many other options did 360 owners have to play when Gears 1 came out? Not a ton. How many other options do PS3 owners have to play besideas KZ2 right now? A lot more.PoppaGamer
there are alot of things to take into account, hes taken the flesh off and is showing everyone a bare comparison. Its all good talking about the increased competition but you cannot dismiss what hes said when, compared to other franchises K2 should have done better.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#24 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
Gears of War had the advantage of being the only AAA exclusive of the year on its platform
rtswiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rtswiz
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"]

FACT Sony do not

Mckenna1845

absolutely, until sony build a proper marketing campaign they will never reach halo sales.

Um, we arent talking about halo.

rtswiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rtswiz
Member since 2009 • 76 Posts

[QUOTE="PoppaGamer"]You forget to mention that the amount of games out to compete with these titles at the time of release varies quite a bit. How many other options did 360 owners have to play when Gears 1 came out? Not a ton. How many other options do PS3 owners have to play besideas KZ2 right now? A lot more.yoyo462001
there are alot of things to take into account, hes taken the flesh of and is showing everyone a bare comparison. Its all good talking about competition but you cannot dismiss that when compared to other franchises K2 should have done better.

PS3 has a complete lack of good games. What are you talking about?

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 delta3074
[QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"] but gears is NOT a mediocre game. wayne_kar

That's your opinion.

yes it did, but malta is entitled to his opinion, he obviously does not let the mass media dictate his likes and dislikes, just so long as he remembers it's just an opinion.
mamkem6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mamkem6
Member since 2007 • 1457 Posts

................ But now, what do you think of Killzon 2 sales vs Gears 1 ?

TheNewspaper

Nothing!

;)

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Malta_1980

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

That's your opinion.

delta3074

yes it did, but malta is entitled to his opinion, he obviously does not let the mass media dictate his likes and dislikes, just so long as he remembers it's just an opinion.

problem is my post was misunderstood or maybe didnt explain myself properly... i WASNT refering to Geow1 when i said 'mediocre' game... i was talking in general..

My question was as a gamer would someone pick an averge game just because it sold 10 million copies over a great game (same genre) which sold 2 million copies?? i think as a gamer i'd rather spend my money on which game is better, wouldnt anyone do that?

So i just wanted to point out that while Geow1 is a great game and sold 5 million (or more i dont know), KZ2 is also a great game which will probably sell much less.. But both still remain great games and this overuse of the Sales argument in SW for bashing systems not owned is becoming stupid & ridiculous.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 delta3074

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="wayne_kar"] critical opinion of gears is that its a superb game. did it not get game of the year on GS. Malta_1980

problem is my post was misunderstood or maybe didnt explain myself properly... i WASNT refering to Geow1 when i said 'mediocre' game... i was talking in general..

My question was as a gamer would someone pick an averge game just because it sold 10 million copies over a great game (same genre) which sold 2 million copies?? i think as a gamer i'd rather spend my money on which game is better, wouldnt anyone do that?

So i just wanted to point out that while Geow1 is a great game and sold 5 million (or more i dont know), KZ2 is also a great game which will probably sell much less.. But both still remain great games and this overuse of the Sales argument in SW for bashing systems not owned is becoming stupid & ridiculous.

when i first played gears, i thought it was good, but not mind blowing, i felt the same way about killzone 2, although i liked the jumping mechanic, it doesn't feel 'fake' like other fps, the irony is i bought two worlds the other day and that DID blow my mind, i mean DRAGONS, at last a decent open world RPG with DRAGONS and check out the water reflections, sales don't relly mean anything at the end of the day, cos if only one person likes a game, the game is a success, maybe not in sales, but still a success, we talk too much about sales here, can't a game just be good because it is good.
DAZZER7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DAZZER7
Member since 2004 • 2422 Posts

[QUOTE="wayne_kar"][QUOTE="Jade_Monkey"]

That's your opinion.

delta3074

yeah but in all fairness malt stated it as if it was fact. He referred to it as a mediocre game which its just not no matter what his opinion is. I think he forgot its actualy a highly rated game and is now trying to peddle it as opinion.

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Malta_1980

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="wayne_kar"] critical opinion of gears is that its a superb game. did it not get game of the year on GS. DAZZER7

yeah but in all fairness malt stated it as if it was fact. He referred to it as a mediocre game which its just not no matter what his opinion is. I think he forgot its actualy a highly rated game and is now trying to peddle it as opinion.

no you got it wrong, i explained that already in my last post... mediocre was not being refered to Geow1... i was asking a question in general with no reference to the 2 games mentioned by TC in this thread..

check my last post..

moose_knuckler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 moose_knuckler
Member since 2007 • 5722 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]

[QUOTE="M1KES"]

Really?SpruceCaboose

Your owl makes a compelling argument.

lol yea, once the owl came into the picture I'm wondering why they even questioned your expertise on this subject ;).
rofflecopter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rofflecopter_
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts
[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

[QUOTE="DAZZER7"]

yes it did, but malta is entitled to his opinion, he obviously does not let the mass media dictate his likes and dislikes, just so long as he remembers it's just an opinion.delta3074

no you got it wrong, i explained that already in my last post... mediocre was not being refered to Geow1... i was asking a question in general with no reference to the 2 games mentioned by TC in this thread..

check my last post..

dont be this guy
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
TC, I really dont think that there is an arguement that Gears 1 sold MUCH better than KZ2, its pretty obvious Which game is better is a pretty good debate
GabeBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GabeBlack
Member since 2005 • 1821 Posts

The marketing for Killzone 2 could have been done better. Halo and Gears of War ads had more feeling in the tv ads. Killzone 2 just had some stupid bullet time bs that most of us are tired of. BULLET TIME got old after the matrix and max pain.

Sony needs to fire the whole marketing team because nothing in the ads tells us anything about the game.

Renjinrezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Renjinrezo
Member since 2006 • 777 Posts

Killzone is just less appealling to casuals...

Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts

Since you don't decide what a mediocre game is, I would have to say the one that sold 10 million.

An example would be Halo 3 vs Killzone 2.

If we were to use this as an answer it would be very easy to say would one rather play the GREAT GAME that sold 10 million or a MEDIOCRE GAME that sold 1.5 million :|

waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
Well Gears didn't have to compete with SF 4 and RE 5 that's for sure. Maybe Resistance and... COD3? (what else launched during that holiday I don't remember.)
Avatar image for Synthetic_NinJI
Synthetic_NinJI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Synthetic_NinJI
Member since 2006 • 2809 Posts
Well Gears didn't have to compete with SF 4 and RE 5 that's for sure. Maybe Resistance and... COD3? (what else launched during that holiday I don't remember.)waynehead895
Does it matter? Gears 2 sold more than SF 4 and RE5, combined :|
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
You forget to mention that the amount of games out to compete with these titles at the time of release varies quite a bit. How many other options did 360 owners have to play when Gears 1 came out? Not a ton. How many other options do PS3 owners have to play besideas KZ2 right now? A lot more.PoppaGamer
Thats a huge part of it. It was 360's best game when it game out, completely blowing everything else out of the water.
wstfld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wstfld
Member since 2008 • 6375 Posts
....And it had a really cool commercial.
Sneaky_Gopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#43 Sneaky_Gopher
Member since 2005 • 2440 Posts

FACT: :P

TheNewspaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheNewspaper
Member since 2009 • 277 Posts

....And it had a really cool commercial.wstfld

Which 1? The bullet KZ 2 one :lol:

rofflecopter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rofflecopter_

[QUOTE="wstfld"]....And it had a really cool commercial.TheNewspaper

Which 1? The bullet KZ 2 one :lol:

that ad was so tired,and played out. no wonder killzone 2 flopped.
rofflecopter_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rofflecopter_
[QUOTE="waynehead895"]Well Gears didn't have to compete with SF 4 and RE 5 that's for sure. Maybe Resistance and... COD3? (what else launched during that holiday I don't remember.)Synthetic_NinJI
Does it matter? Gears 2 sold more than SF 4 and RE5, combined :|

and killzone 2!! lol
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

FACT Sony do not

wayne_kar

LOL quit blaming sony marketing they spent hella money on KZ2 marketing and it worked i seen the ads everywhere for that last 2 months, its just nobody cared

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
Just for reference, the X360 had about 1/3 the install base that the PS3 had when the KZ2 dropped, yet sold twice as much. I wonder who Sony uses for marketing or if they do marketing in house? Whatever, they do, they need to do something completely different, cause its not working. They are missing opportunity to capitalize on some good games. Killzone is not the best shooter this gen, but its a very solid game that deserves great sales. So far the sells are just good. If Sony doesn't watch out, Killzone will end up being outsold by GRAW 1 on the X360.
wayne_kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 wayne_kar

Killzone is just less appealling to casuals...

Renjinrezo
why