Gearbox is still a sh*tty company, more news at 11.

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/how-and-why-gearbox-shut-down-an-ambitious-beautiful-re-telling-of-duke-nuk

Basically, because DNF sucked ass. They decided to shut down this free game because people might not buy their own game.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

They are a pretty terrible company by all measurements. That said, this is just IP protecting, everyone does it. (Got BL2 used doe haha)

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tagyhag

They are a pretty terrible company by all measurements. That said, this is just IP protecting, everyone does it. (Got BL2 used doe haha)

ActicEdge
They were allowed to do it before DNF was released to those crappy reviews. Then they had to meet with the executives and they shut it down.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

This was a valid and smart business decision. These companies are not your friends.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

Duke Nukem Forever is a fantastic game. But the console ports are unplayable.

If you had the PC version you would know just how kickass that game truly was. I will never understand the negative ratings of this game. It took 14 years to finish.....4 different graphic english 6 different development teams...... I mean what did people expect? lol

I hope they make another Duke Nukem game with a full dedicated team from start to finish.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

tagyhag

They were allowed to do it before DNF was released to those crappy reviews. Then they had to meet with the executives and they shut it down.

Nope. He said the execs had no idea they doing a reboot. He clearly says they thought it was just like an HD remake or something similar. Sure poor reviews may have factored into the decision, but that is purely speculation.

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="ActicEdge"]

tagyhag

Isn't that basically the definition of protecting your investment? Though I feel like excutives would look at this sort of thing and wanna like snatch it up. Offer the creators a lil bank and then release it as a DD or something. Everyone wins in situations like that. Probably some licensing and stuff would have to be ironed out but still.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Gearbox has been on my shit list the past few months. After DNF was an uninspired turd and all the lies surrounding Aliens: CM, I do no plan on buying any more of their games.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 StrongBlackVine

Duke Nukem Forever is a fantastic game. But the console ports are unplayable.

If you had the PC version you would know just how kickass that game truly was. I will never understand the negative ratings of that guy. It took 14 years to finish.....4 different graphic english 6 different development teams...... I mean what did people expect? lol

I hope they make another Duke Nukem game with a full dedicated team from start to finish.

BlackShirt20

Not Gearbox. I wouldn't trust them with anything other than Borderlands or maybe another IP they created themselves.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No sh!t.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongBlackVine

Gearbox has been on my shit list the past few months. After DNF was an uninspired turd and all the lies surrounding Aliens: CM, I do no plan on buying any more of their games.

BPoole96

Eh just bought the BL2 Season Pass. I don't boycott games.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
The executives at Gearbox are shitty actually, we knew that already.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Lets see what has gearbox done? A couple of half life expansion packs that pretty much sucked and everyone instantly forgot about, even the insane hype of half life 1 at the time couldnt make people want them. Duke nukem forever which was a metric ton of shit. ALiens colonial marines which was another god awful mess they released. Brothers in arms which was a series made just to cash in on the WW2 shooter craze and while not terrible they were mediocre at best. And the borderlands series which is basically just world of warcraft with guns since all you do is go on mindless quests and trip over 10,000 weapons before you find one that is a micrometer better than what you already have.

To throw salt in the wound gearbox complained about reviewers who trashed duke nukem for being that giant turd it was. Then they tried to lay blame on the development team for whom they took over from and said the bad game was their fault, well they were the last ones to have it and if they knew it was bad why didnt they make it better or just scrap it? Then they did the same thing to aliens colonial marines.

This is also a company that pimps out DLC for their games before the game is even out yet and keep on milking the games for all they can.

Gearbox is a terrible developer and needs to go bankrupt so someone with talent can buy the duke nukem ip back and keep gearbox from making more god awful games. They are as awful as obsidian is.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 foxhound_fox
They are as awful as obsidian is.Gargus
You had a fairly decent post until here. Shame you threw that in.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrongBlackVine

Lets see what has gearbox done? A couple of half life expansion packs that pretty much sucked and everyone instantly forgot about, even the insane hype of half life 1 at the time couldnt make people want them. Duke nukem forever which was a metric ton of shit. ALiens colonial marines which was another god awful mess they released. Brothers in arms which was a series made just to cash in on the WW2 shooter craze and while not terrible they were mediocre at best. And the borderlands series which is basically just world of warcraft with guns since all you do is go on mindless quests and trip over 10,000 weapons before you find one that is a micrometer better than what you already have.

To throw salt in the wound gearbox complained about reviewers who trashed duke nukem for being that giant turd it was. Then they tried to lay blame on the development team for whom they took over from and said the bad game was their fault, well they were the last ones to have it and if they knew it was bad why didnt they make it better or just scrap it? Then they did the same thing to aliens colonial marines.

This is also a company that pimps out DLC for their games before the game is even out yet and keep on milking the games for all they can.

Gearbox is a terrible developer and needs to go bankrupt so someone with talent can buy the duke nukem ip back and keep gearbox from making more god awful games. They are as awful as obsidian is.

Gargus

Borderlands was top 5 new series this generation. Only Uncharted and Mass Effect were better new IPs. Yes better than those boring Souls games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
Yes better than those boring Souls games.StrongBlackVine
:lol: You must have thrown your controller across the room during the tutorial levels.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

StrongBlackVine

Borderlands was top 5 new series this generation. Only Uncharted and Mass Effect were better new IPs. Yes better than those boring Souls games.

Borderlands is pretty fun but I dunno if I would go that far. But I agree its pretty solid.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#18 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

They're greedy corrupt evil souless bastards yeah, but they can make some damn fine games when they actually put forth the effort. Borderlands 2 was the shit.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
all that drama went down with aliens game makes me think twice buying a saga or gear box game... No one wanted take blame for the garbage and kept passing it over someone else, report claiming gearbox took development money from aliens for borlderlands 2 ect ect,
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]They are as awful as obsidian is.foxhound_fox
You had a fairly decent post until here. Shame you threw that in.

Obsidian = best WRPG dev

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts

Lets see what has gearbox done? A couple of half life expansion packs that pretty much sucked and everyone instantly forgot about,Gargus

Opposing Force was brilliant. Blue Shift wasn't bad either.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tagyhag
Isn't that basically the definition of protecting your investment? Though I feel like excutives would look at this sort of thing and wanna like snatch it up. Offer the creators a lil bank and then release it as a DD or something. Everyone wins in situations like that. Probably some licensing and stuff would have to be ironed out but still.ActicEdge
Yeah but that would only work if the creators were a company themselves and had the bank for that. :P This was just to be a fan game that Gearbox saw as a threat once they realized how shitty their own game was (Which is hilariously sad).

This was a valid and smart business decision. These companies are not your friends.

StrongBlackVine
Obviously they're doing it purely for profit's sake which is understandable but still a sh*tty move. We would have never had Counter Strike and Team Fortress if it wasn't for Valve allowing their release. We would have never had BF2 if it wasn't for Desert Combat.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#23 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

StrongBlackVine

I wouldn't say smart because there's nothing to lose or gain, but I agree, that companies are not your friends.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

StrongBlackVine

Borderlands is fun with friends, but the thing that makes those games fun is not the games itself but rather the fact that you are playing with your friends. If you understand what I mean.

And the borderlands IP is not even worthy of polishing "those boring Souls games"' boots.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

LegatoSkyheart

I wouldn't say smart because there's nothing to lose or gain, but I agree, that companies are not your friends.

I think the key is being less of a dick than your competitors.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ActicEdge

Yeah but that would only work if the creators were a company themselves and had the bank for that. :P This was just to be a fan game that Gearbox saw as a threat once they realized how shitty their own game was (Which is hilariously sad). 

tagyhag

I dunno why the creators have to actually "be a company" tbh. I always wondered why companies that saw impressive fan projects didn't just tell the creators that they were impressed and that they would bankroll them a bit and when they finish it, let the IP holder release it for DD. It literally is such an easy way to increase game output and spend so little money. Then they just work it into the deal that it can be released for free a year after its officially released. Everyone wins.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

I love Borderlands, but the way Gearbox operates is pretty terrible

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

I want another Duke Nukem game... NOW!  :P

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

LegatoSkyheart

There is potential to lose and gain. Say, if the reboot was bad, the whole franchise's image might get worse and that is something Gearbox wouldn't want (as if it could get any worse after DNF :P). That is the entire idea behind IP protection. Of course I'm not saying the reboot was going to be bad, it probably wasn't, but there's no way to know for sure and better to shut it down early than let them waste all their time doing something Gearbox is not going to approve.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

StrongBlackVine

I normally don't either, but when Borderlands 3 rolls around, I'll pick it up for a cool $10 instead of $60 like I did the other two
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

Maroxad

Borderlands is fun with friends, but the thing that makes those games fun is not the games itself but rather the fact that you are playing with your friends. If you understand what I mean.

And the borderlands IP is not even worthy of polishing "those boring Souls games"' boots.

Any game is fun if you play it with friends. I find the co-op stuff in Borderlands 2 chaotic and pretty bad. 

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

BPoole96

I normally don't either, but when Borderlands 3 rolls around, I'll pick it up for a cool $10 instead of $60 like I did the other two

If you don't plan on buying anymore of their games, then why are you planning on buying Borderlands 3?

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

They should be making a proper sequel to Brother in Arms for the next gen.

Crazyguy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Crazyguy105
Member since 2009 • 9513 Posts

I'm forever shaming myself for buying Borderlands 2 at full price.

They're on my boycott list now after that pile of shit.

guard12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#35 guard12
Member since 2004 • 2018 Posts

Just got Borderlands 2 on sale for $10. So far it is the only good Gearbox game I have played. 

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
f*ck gearbox. Duke3D was amazing and I would have LOVED to play this.. gearbox should have just made a deal to take someofthe profits or something..
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

StrongBlackVine

Terrible taste confirmed

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Just got Borderlands 2 on sale for $10. So far it is the only good Gearbox game I have played.

guard12

Really? Brothers in Arms games were fantastic. I have fond memories of playing that on the original Xbox; online and off. Just curious, they were very well received too.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Gearbox should have let them finish it and release it for free under the Gearbox name. They need some good publicity these days...
caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

I don't get Gearbox's logic on this.  Why cancel a game totally like then when they could just hire these guys to finish the game and put it out as a downloadable title on PSN and Xbox Live?   Give these guys a good cut of the profits, and sell the game.  In the end, everyone wins.  Gearbox gets a Duke Nukem game that kinda helps fans forget about what happened with Forever, these guys get to see their dream come to various platforms, and the fans get a remake of Duke Nukem 3D.

Who the hell runs these companes?   I don't get this logic of " Let's just shut down a project instead of buying it out and putting up for sale!"    Who the hell thinks that is good business sense?  It's like Sega and that Streets of Rage remake all over again.  Sega could have made some good money off that game and they did not even have to lift a finger to get it done.  But they cancel it despite the numerous fans who want to see a new Streets of Rage.

Gearbox, buy the damn game and put it up for sale!   You make fans happy and you let these guys finish their game.   What advantage do you really get for canceling this game anyway?  

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 StrongBlackVine

seanmcloughlin

Terrible taste confirmed

I don't lke any game that involves dungeons and dragons.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

f*ck gearbox. Duke3D was amazing and I would have LOVED to play this.. gearbox should have just made a deal to take someofthe profits or something..Rattlesnake_8

There were no profits to be had. The game was intended to be released for free.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Arent these the guys who make Borderlands games? They aiight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

StrongBlackVine

Terrible taste confirmed

I don't lke any game that involves dungeons and dragons.

The Souls games are far more than that. Excellent combat, great RPG mechanics and weapons etc. Great level design, fantastic boss fights. The list goes on and on. Sure at face value it looks all dungeons and dragons but that's what I love about the Souls games. They're far deeper than that

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Arent these the guys who make Borderlands games? They aiightCapitan_Kid

I'll give them props for BL2 (though I'm only like 2 hours in) but BL1 was such a damn snooze fest. All you had to do was play like 2-3 hours of it and you saw everything the game had to offer

Goyoshi12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#46 Goyoshi12
Member since 2009 • 9687 Posts

You think that game was going to be any good?

Anyways, only two games; I'll wait for when they have a bit more on their track record before I decide to throw them out the door.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

They gone to shit recently, I like them because they finish DNF, made Half-Life oppsossing force, and Borderlands, but this is just BS.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Its simple, they don't own the rights, ergo Gearbox are well within their rights to shutter them.
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ActicEdge

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Arent these the guys who make Borderlands games? They aiightseanmcloughlin

I'll give them props for BL2 (though I'm only like 2 hours in) but BL1 was such a damn snooze fest. All you had to do was play like 2-3 hours of it and you saw everything the game had to offer

That's like BL2 in my experience :P

Like its fun regardless but you don't really play it if you're looking for super awesome gameplay variety and things to do.

antigamerunion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 antigamerunion
Member since 2013 • 33 Posts

I would put Atari on top of this list. The worst game I played was published by Atari.. Bullet Witch on the X360