Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15599 Posts

Have you considered crocheting as a hobby instead?

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I actually miss Midway. They put out their fair share of turds (Spy Hunter, Hour of Victory, Wheelman) but they had a few gems (Roadkill, Suffering, Psy Ops, Area 51).

Come to think about it, I’ve never purchased a Square Enix game.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#53 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14422 Posts

@clone01 said:

so don't game, or become like snipe...err, i mean ghosts4ever and just idolize a few titles, and spend the rest of your time trolling a gaming forum.

Lol

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#54 filthyn00b
Member since 2020 • 473 Posts

@fastnslowww: the hardware and software/development tools have gotten better, but the actual game creators have gotten worse lol funny part.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 filthyn00b

it's just people have shitty game design philosophies now for the most part.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

eh. This comes up, like, every 6 months. I'm not saying valid points aren't raised each time - often I agree strongly with them. YET - I have ZERO problem finding fantastic games to play and find gaming a wonderful escape.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 filthyn00b

the industry is not up to the industry standards i grew up with, lets just say that.

Robbie23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Robbie23
Member since 2015 • 2083 Posts

I could go a new Timesplitters

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By filthyn00b

@BassMan: f-zero is better, than wipe out ''fzero clone'', rollage is better than that rollcage clone, pod is better than that pod clone,revolt is better than that revolt clone lol, mario karts better than that mario kart clone, moto racers better than that moto racer clone.

Those games suck man lol js

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 filthyn00b

that bothers me wipe out is a ps1 era game and it's still being made, but jet moto no longer exist man you cannot top jet moto flips and 360 spins made sense in that game you were a hover bike and could race on any surface it was like wace race 64 except race on any surface.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#62  Edited By WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9620 Posts

AA games are going to make a huge return in the near future.. mark my words. Many indie companies are growing and are the AA game devs of tomorrow. Although they will likely be snatched up by SONY or MS. Most AAA games are unsustainable and smaller indie titles are a dime a dozen. Perhaps I'm just hopeful in this regard, but lets just say I sense it coming... I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see larger companies release a few budget titles next gen. Ubisoft has had pretty good success with it recently and they have more on the horizon.. look for others to follow in their footsteps.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#63  Edited By PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

I disagree. I love indies and the fact they revived 2d gaming. Also, when it comes ro production levels, indies these days can go from retro 80s, almost to modern AAA, with AAs in between.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23735 Posts

Meh, just don't see it. So much to enjoy without being on the AAA teat, or wading through low end indie stuff.

If you made this thread last gen I'd be more inclined to see your point of view. The "middle class" dev was largely run out and indies couldn't quite fill the void.

But this gen? A lot of that AA market bounced back and a lot of these indies grew into larger roles.

There are more good games coming out than I have time to play.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By filthyn00b

Indie games back in the day were alot better also, too many indies focus on ''retro'' games it's a lame cop out.

I cant play modern 2d games or w/e tbh it just doesnt feel right i might aswell play the 2d classics i grew up with.

people with motion sickness are holding back/gimping the gameplay of VR games, overall it's a gimmick because of it.

It all sucks fatties now tbh.

You arent seeing shit for wut it really is these days.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#68  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58542 Posts

I am as prone to nostalgia as anyone but gaming is better than ever.

It's the publishers and marketing that is driving me batshit.

@filthyn00b said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Ps5rulez!

xboxrulez!

O'Doyle rules!

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By filthyn00b

WHITEGUILTDUKERULEZ

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18268 Posts

Agreed to some extent ... i still enjoy gaming and i think Indie games are going through their best possible time ever ... but yeah, it's mind blowing to think that back in the SNES, N64, PSOne and even PS2 era to some extent, we had "Mid budget games" sort of speaking that didn't aim to be uber profitable nor anything like that ...

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#71 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 16049 Posts

@madsnakehhh: Control by Remedy costed them €30m and they consider it a a huge saving compared to typical AAA projects.

Making games isn't cheap anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

@sakaixx said:

@madsnakehhh: Control by Remedy costed them €30m and they consider it a a huge saving compared to typical AAA projects.

That's because games are made by idiots for idiots. I would be fine with publishers stripping most of the expenses away, which usually push checkbox design so that they can be marketed to as many people as possible and safely recoup the costs. I don't need Max Payne, for example, to be a seventeen hour game with open world quests, tons of voice acting, RPG mechanics and upgrade trees, and amazing graphics, but that's totally what Remedy would push for now if they made it for the first time in 2020. The old Metal Gear Solid games were also able to do much more in a few hours with their linear design than what Metal Gear Solid 5 decided to space out over 50 hours of forgettable quests and an 80 million dollar budget. Most games were better and more experimental when they were simpler, when developers had much less to work with and less money to recoup.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By filthyn00b

@sakaixx: making games is cheap, that's their fault if they want to spend a ton on a crap game that doesnt do anything new and is just going through the motions, how about dont hire 300 employees's huh? lol

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By filthyn00b

couple actual skilled game designers>>>300 average skilled twats.

HIRE ACTUAL SKILLED PEOPLE NOT A TON OF HACKS.

problem solved.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By filthyn00b

Even to this day, i've never honestly played a truly great game, made by a super large development team.This speaks volumes by itself.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#76 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5298 Posts

@filthyn00b: You do not have to make a post everytime you have something to say or respond to a poster. Keep your posts to a minimum.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 sakaiXx

@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:

That's because games are made by idiots for idiots. I would be fine with publishers stripping most of the expenses away, which usually push checkbox design so that they can be marketed to as many people as possible and safely recoup the costs. I don't need Max Payne, for example, to be a seventeen hour game with open world quests, tons of voice acting, RPG mechanics and upgrade trees, and amazing graphics, but that's totally what Remedy would push for now if they made it for the first time in 2020. The old Metal Gear Solid games were also able to do much more in a few hours with their linear design than what Metal Gear Solid 5 decided to space out over 50 hours of forgettable quests and an 80 million dollar budget. Most games were better and more experimental when they were simpler, when developers had much less to work with and less money to recoup.

Unfortunately Halo Infinite faced backlash when it didn't show the graphics, etc even though some tries to calm everyone saying gameplay is solid. Remedy's Control was aiming for that old Max Payne level design and actually got awards for it. MGS2 was AAA though.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 filthyn00b

@onesiphorus: add something worthy to say.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By filthyn00b

@sakaixx: i dont care for controls theme/environments/atmosphere id rather have a new alan wake.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@sakaixx said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:

Unfortunately Halo Infinite faced backlash when it didn't show the graphics, etc even though some tries to calm everyone saying gameplay is solid. Remedy's Control was aiming for that old Max Payne level design and actually got awards for it. MGS2 was AAA though.

MGS2 was AAA when AAA was still a realistic goal. The budget was nowhere near as bloated as today's games, including MGS5.

Control isn't as economical as Max Payne at all or even very similar.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 madsnakehhh

@sakaixx said:

I know ... i know is no cheap ... and Control is indeed the type of game that would exist in the past, a game not wanting to work as a "service" nor trying to start a multi million dollar franchise, but a game trying to be a video game. If you think about it, it's almost surreal that such a common practice is now seen as something so unique and rare.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 madsnakehhh

@filthyn00b: I heavily disagree with what you are saying ... i think making a huge game (budget, personal) with the right mindset has tremendous benefits ... Breath of the Wild was no cheap and had the most people working on it than any Zelda game ver (maybe any Nintendo game ever?) and it was a huge success. Sure you may or may not like the game and that's fine but to say it didn't have talented people working on it or that it didn't meet high quality standars is just wrong.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4277 Posts

I’m not gonna sit here and say that modern gaming is great. The hobby of getting newer consoles is quite expensive. There are some games here and there that do get my attention, but I must admit it’s not “wowing” me like previous years.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#84  Edited By Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25114 Posts

last few years were terrible. but 2020 has been best year since 2004 to me

• Doom Eternal - Masterpiece
  • Black Mesa - Masterpiece
  • Desperados 3 - Masterpiece

Now coming Soon Mafia remake next month a Remake of masterpiece, and later Cyberpunk 2077.

I remember how bad 2008 to 2012 was.

filthyn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 filthyn00b

@ghosts4ever: crap games

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 sakaiXx

@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:

MGS2 was AAA when AAA was still a realistic goal. The budget was nowhere near as bloated as today's games, including MGS5.

.... I'm sure you already know the cost of various tech/engine/manpower/marketing needed to develop games is increasing. Would be great if you could provide alternative solutions to devs on how to reduce manpower and not having to license various engines and solution for their games.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@sakaixx said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:
@ezekiel43 said:

.... I'm sure you already know the cost of various tech/engine/manpower/marketing needed to develop games is increasing. Would be great if you could provide alternative solutions to devs on how to reduce manpower and not having to license various engines and solution for their games.

Like I said, made by idiots for idiots. Gamers don't want simple and fun, they want expensive and by the numbers -- photorealistic games that do a bit of everything but aren't great at anything. Nothing is stopping them from designing cruder looking games with simpler tech and purer core gameplay, except shit-tasted non-gamers. Incremental upgrades and skill trees have made most shooters play worse than the ones from the past and now interrupt the action with boring menus whose unlocks throw off balance. Horrible stealth is forced into every other game now, just to fill another checkbox, as I said in my last thread.

It's always the slow, tedious stealth with brain-dead, forgetful, myopic enemies, magic tall grass and repeated patrol routes. Never mind that crouching doesn't actually make you quiet. If they wanted it to be fun, they'd let you slowly run at or by the unaware enemy, as the old stealth games like MGS and probably Thief used to. After Splinter Cell and a hundred other games standardized crouching like an old man, Hideo Kojima did the same.

I know stealth is usually an option (because no one makes true stealth games anymore), but the games are usually balanced in such a way that it's easier (and more boring) to take the slow approach. You can bet if Resident Evil 1/2 came out for the first time in 2020, you'd spend 50 percent of the combat with your knees bent, moving almost as slowly as the zombies.

I can't even remember the last time stealth excited me in a game.

I'm sure that if Shadow of the Colossus were made for the first time today, Sony would have us spend significant portions of the game fulfilling quests, crafting tools and arrows, maybe speaking to NPCs and looking at stat, skill and loot menus. It would definitely raise the development costs, but it's what the stupid players want. Just look at Tomb Raider, how the simple solitary puzzle platforming was replaced with poorly done Metroid-wannabe hub environments, crafting, scavenging, NPC interactions, quests, bad stealth and abundant popamole cover shooting, with many of those aspects conflicting with the realistic tone it adopted. I'd give anything for a real modern Tomb Raider that tastefully fixed the problems with the classics and had inexpensive minimalist storytelling and clean stylized aesthetics.

Oh, and those cruder, cleaner looking games would have higher resolutions while performing far better than current bogged down AAA console games.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

If you don't like Soulless AAA games, I would suggest not buying them.

I can't remember the last AAA game I bought... was it Shadowbringers last year?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 24000 Posts

The AA industry already produces a lot of gems. They just need to be in a bigger quantity.

Atlus, TaleWorlds, Larian, Mimimi Games, Obsidian, Behaviour Interactive. Are on the top of my head.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 227

#90 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17931 Posts

@filthyn00b said:

@BassMan: f-zero is better, than wipe out ''fzero clone'', rollage is better than that rollcage clone, pod is better than that pod clone,revolt is better than that revolt clone lol, mario karts better than that mario kart clone, moto racers better than that moto racer clone.

Those games suck man lol js

I can't tell you if those games suck or not because I have not played them. I prefer sim racers. Some of the games in the video don't look bad though.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sakaiXx

@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:
@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:

Like I said, made by idiots for idiots. Gamers don't want simple and fun, they want expensive and by the numbers -- photorealistic games that do a bit of everything but aren't great at anything. Nothing is stopping them from designing cruder looking games with simpler tech and purer core gameplay, except shit-tasted non-gamers. Incremental upgrades and skill trees have made most shooters play worse than the ones from the past and now interrupt the action with boring menus whose unlocks throw off balance. Horrible stealth is forced into every other game now, just to fill another checkbox, as I said in my last thread.

It's always the slow, tedious stealth with brain-dead, forgetful, myopic enemies, magic tall grass and repeated patrol routes. Never mind that crouching doesn't actually make you quiet. If they wanted it to be fun, they'd let you slowly run at or by the unaware enemy, as the old stealth games like MGS and probably Thief used to. After Splinter Cell and a hundred other games standardized crouching like an old man, Hideo Kojima did the same.

I know stealth is usually an option (because no one makes true stealth games anymore), but the games are usually balanced in such a way that it's easier (and more boring) to take the slow approach. You can bet if Resident Evil 1/2 came out for the first time in 2020, you'd spend 50 percent of the combat with your knees bent, moving almost as slowly as the zombies.

I can't even remember the last time stealth excited me in a game.

I'm sure that if Shadow of the Colossus were made for the first time today, Sony would have us spend significant portions of the game fulfilling quests, crafting tools and arrows, maybe speaking to NPCs and looking at stat, skill and loot menus. It would definitely raise the development costs, but it's what the stupid players want. Just look at Tomb Raider, how the simple solitary puzzle platforming was replaced with poorly done Metroid-wannabe hub environments, crafting, scavenging, NPC interactions, quests, bad stealth and abundant popamole cover shooting, with many of those aspects conflicting with the realistic tone it adopted. I'd give anything for a real modern Tomb Raider that tastefully fixed the problems with the classics and had inexpensive minimalist storytelling and clean stylized aesthetics.

Oh, and those cruder, cleaner looking games would have higher resolutions while performing far better than current bogged down AAA console games.

If you miss stealth idk, genre probably just fell out of love from gamers instead of whatever conspiracy theory u making. I mean there was a time where RTS, JRPG, point and click, god games were popular. Hitman is really good sanbox stealth game btw.

RE/RE2 comparison does not hit the mark though. I mean RE Remake and RE 2 Remake is excellent. RE 2 remake gameplay is very different from the original game but still maintains the fun.

Look I get you. You just tired of these expensive samey open world games but you need to face the realities of modern gaming. Its a huge risk associated due to high cost. As I said, unless you find a solution to the problems modern AAA dev faces, they will continue to develop those kind games. Look at Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire, excellent game by Obsidian but tanked on sales, do I blame you and all gamers for not buying the game or what? Yes, idiots buy the game!

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3132 Posts

@filthyn00b: While I don't agree with everything, I do agree with the overall sentiment. I found more enjoyment in the past than I do now.

dimebag667

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 dimebag667
Member since 2003 • 3132 Posts

@fastnslowww: I totally agree, but why is realism the goal? I prefer games that are surrealistic. Unless it's sim or something, I want to see/feel something I don't already have.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#94  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Do miss the 90's.

Peak gamery.

Also peak music IMO and no stupid selfies and social media garbage we didn't know how good we had it until the 90's were gone :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By deactivated-60113e7859d7d

@sakaixx said:

RE/RE2 comparison does not hit the mark though. I mean RE Remake and RE 2 Remake is excellent. RE 2 remake gameplay is very different from the original game but still maintains the fun.

The RE2 remake is mostly faithful to the old Resident Evil games and their exploration in spite of the new camera. It would be quite a different story if those games had never existed, if RE2 2019 was the first RE ever. It absolutely would mark a lot of the checkboxes of modern cinematic action-horror-stealth games. Publishers don't like uniqueness.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46673 Posts

@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Do miss the 90's.

Peak gamery.

Also peak music IMO and no stupid selfies and social media garbage we didn't know how good we had it until the 90's were gone :(

Peak life

Remember how people in the 90s used to run around with a walkman or CD players and used headphones to listen to music?

Now everyone runs around with a friggin' bluetooth speaker so others can 'enjoy' their music.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Do miss the 90's.

Peak gamery.

Peak life

Remember how people in the 90s used to run around with a walkman or CD players and used headphones to listen to music?

Now everyone runs around with a friggin' bluetooth speaker so others can 'enjoy' their music.

Im also 90s kid. world before smartphones was better and people were more intelligent. now everyone do google copy and paste and use plagarism remover tool and wrote a book.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46673 Posts

@ghosts4ever said:

Im also 90s kid. world before smartphones was better and people were more intelligent. now everyone do google copy and paste and use plagarism remover tool and wrote a book.

In this new world you are actually dumber for using your brain. It's sad.

But everything moves forward and we never ever once consider moving back to how things were.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

In this new world you are actually dumber for using your brain. It's sad.

But everything moves forward and we never ever once consider moving back to how things were.

feel bad for people born after 2000.

they born with smartphones in the hand.

people in universities pass thieses by copy and paste from google and remove plagarism from some software. teachers are also dumb today.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By sakaiXx

@ezekiel43 said:
@sakaixx said:

The RE2 remake is mostly faithful to the old Resident Evil games and their exploration in spite of the new camera. It would be quite a different story if those games had never existed, if RE2 2019 was the first RE ever. It absolutely would mark a lot of the checkboxes of modern cinematic action-horror-stealth games. Publishers don't like uniqueness.

I have to disagree at some points. RE 2 Remake was made with modern trend as mindset. The over the shoulder gameplay, full voice acting, have more action, inventory management, crafting and looting, expensive production. Everything about RE2R has been done in Evil Within, Dead Space and others recently.