Gaming has changed so much.

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

It's all about the $

The suits stepped in and guys who never played a game in their lives took charge after the CoD 4 success (pretty much all the suits saw the potential $ to be made in gaming and went in), that's what happened.

Dat corporate takeover of gaming

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's kinda nuts seeing what corps have done to gaming, and I remember when both those games were brand new.

Although that picture of GeoW 1 was for 360 as seen on the top of the box, which came out in 2006.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#4 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Most mainstream games these days treat you like a kid. They do that to make more money. But I think there are still great games out there. The problem is most gamers just follow a brand blindly without doing research that there are better products out there and most websites also do a shitty job at covering them. Users on forums do a better job than them TBH.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Development costs have seen a surge.

Marketing has evolved as well.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#6 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@mjorh said:

I always find budget excuse from publishers pretty poor. Yes it costs more to make games but there are more gamers now then ever before. I think there is no reason to waste money on useless features just to make someone interested who was never a fan of the series. I think more focused development can resolve this issue.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Lets not pretend that every old game had hundreds of maps and every new one has 4 though.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9893 Posts

1999:

Loading Video...

2015:

Loading Video...

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@mjorh said:

I always find budget excuse from publishers pretty poor. Yes it costs more to make games but there are more gamers now then ever before. I think there is no reason to waste money on useless features just to make someone interested who was never a fan of the series. I think more focused development can resolve this issue.

You've got a point. Well, they consider the demand ....they see that stuff like CoD sells more , streamlined games with shiny graphics are popular so they go with that ....this is an industry and profitability is the top priority.

If i was a dev , and i had two choices in front of me : A. mediocre AI , breath-taking graphics. B. Brilliant AI, mediocre graphics .....i'd go with the former ...why? because the demand is high for that. But as a gamer? definitely with the latter....

Of course , this is not the case for all devs but mostly it's like that....concentrate where the money is.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h472NmF1HEQ

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11  Edited By stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Gaming never changes.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44247 Posts

A good read as to why, this shyt is through the roof these dayzzz....

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/epics-gears-of-war-4-would-have-cost-100-million-t/1100-6439404/

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@mjorh said:

Thats what they say, but for some reason people still know who the 90's video game stars are more than they do the current ones. Ask your mother who Commander Shepard is and they'l stare and blink, but ask them who Sonic The Hedgehog, Mario, Lara Croft is and they'l at least be able to cite them as game characters.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Gaming.....gaming never changes...

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Last generation millions of new gamers flooded the PS3 and 360 to play all the newest fad games like the Uncharted, and the Call of Duties, and the Assassin's Creeds, and such. Unfortunately those games were not only some of the most shallow games, but also occasionally filled with some pretty bad practices. It's just a shame that these types of games being the first introduction to gaming for millions of people helped solidify them as the standard.

Luckily it's pretty much confined to just the Playstation and Xbox systems.

d_parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

#16  Edited By d_parker
Member since 2005 • 2128 Posts

When you blame big business, save some blame for consumers who put up with this crap.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#17 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Gamers always want bigger and better in terms of games and graphics. That tech isn't cheap. It needs funding. Major corporations have that Capital and guess what that comes with? "Suits". And they get paid a lot of money to maximize profits.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

And with few exceptions, much for the worst. These so-called "games" care more about looking pretty and nothing else.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

UT2004 was an insane value the year it released, i don't think it was the norm at the time in any way.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#20 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Gaming used to be about the immersion and great gameplay. Now its all about the eye candy with little else. And finding more and more ways to nickle and dime people.

Granted there are still good games like Witcher 3, but there is less and less worthwhile in AAA gaming these days.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Loading Video...

Loading Video...
dantesergei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dantesergei
Member since 2004 • 2254 Posts

@d_parker said:

When you blame big business, save some blame for consumers who put up with this crap.

Exactly this, people buying utter s*** like Street Fighter V on day one, and freaking reviewers helping this s*** giving eights and nines to a game that literally gives you the middle finger and f***** you in the *** !

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Brah4ever

@beardmad said:

Last generation millions of new gamers flooded the PS3 and 360 to play all the newest fad games like the Uncharted, and the Call of Duties, and the Assassin's Creeds, and such. Unfortunately those games were not only some of the most shallow games, but also occasionally filled with some pretty bad practices. It's just a shame that these types of games being the first introduction to gaming for millions of people helped solidify them as the standard.

Luckily it's pretty much confined to just the Playstation and Xbox systems.

This is spot on.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Brah4ever

@svaubel said:

Gaming used to be about the immersion and great gameplay. Now its all about the eye candy with little else. And finding more and more ways to nickle and dime people.

Granted there are still good games like Witcher 3, but there is less and less worthwhile in AAA gaming these days.

For sure, too many AAA games play alike.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Brah4ever

@Legend002 said:

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

bruh...

Sums up modern game design perfectly, Uncharted is the posterboy.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@brah4ever: Pretty obvious to see the difference here.. Games back in the day did not have the kinds of production value such as voice acting, expensive set pieces etc etc.. These cost money, especially when your comparing a multiplayer centric game where the biggest interaction is with other players, something the dev doesn't have to spend millions of dollars directly to create it.. Furthermore, supply vs demand.. If you guys are so outraged by said thing, stop hyping the shit, stop preordering it.. Your basically telling the devs and publishers that's exactly what you want.. Especially when there are numerous alternatives with a absolutely massive indie market..

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

People rag on good games. The Order, when it lets the player play, is a great shooter. The Order is a better GAME than The Witcher3.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#28 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70256 Posts

@Legend002 said:

One is a bad game the other is a lite version of a game. Nobody wins.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brah4ever

@sSubZerOo said:

@brah4ever: Pretty obvious to see the difference here.. Games back in the day did not have the kinds of production value such as voice acting, expensive set pieces etc etc.. These cost money, especially when your comparing a multiplayer centric game where the biggest interaction is with other players, something the dev doesn't have to spend millions of dollars directly to create it.. Furthermore, supply vs demand.. If you guys are so outraged by said thing, stop hyping the shit, stop preordering it.. Your basically telling the devs and publishers that's exactly what you want.. Especially when there are numerous alternatives with a absolutely massive indie market..

Plenty of games had had voice acting since well, the 90s and big set pieces are nothing new.

UT2004 had a campaign with set pieces on top of 109 + shipped maps.

Look at TitanFall, has like what 7-8 maps, and the 2-3 DLC packs totaling at around 15 ish maps with no campaign, multiplayer only game. Explain.

You mentioned stop pre-ordering but the dumb masses who buy any game because "its new!" regardless of what it offers or adds outnumbers the more sensible logical gamer.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@brah4ever said:

lolwut? did you play Unreal2k4? The campaign was bot matches and glorified tutorials, Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, which are fucking CLASSICS, are like the poster boys for MP only shooters that put their stock in multiplayer over campaign, because they wanted to maximize the best thing about either game. And while I like Unreal 1, it was the right move. Unreal Tournament was divine, and onslaught mode was fucking multiplayer perfection.

The amount of maps is also a bit bloated, because it was a lot of copy n pasting maps from Unreal Tournament 1 and Unreal Tournament 2003. The game was more a really amazing expansion and clean up job of Unreal Tournament 2003 than anything. It just happened to be, as stated, divine.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Brah4ever

@jg4xchamp said:
@brah4ever said:

lolwut? did you play Unreal2k4? The campaign was bot matches and glorified tutorials, Unreal Tournament and Quake 3, which are fucking CLASSICS, are like the poster boys for MP only shooters that put their stock in multiplayer over campaign, because they wanted to maximize the best thing about either game. And while I like Unreal 1, it was the right move. Unreal Tournament was divine, and onslaught mode was fucking multiplayer perfection.

The amount of maps is also a bit bloated, because it was a lot of copy n pasting maps from Unreal Tournament 1 and Unreal Tournament 2003. The game was more a really amazing expansion and clean up job of Unreal Tournament 2003 than anything. It just happened to be, as stated, divine.

Yeah, I have UT2K4, the original one and the GOTY edition.

By the way, UT2K4 blew UT3 out of the water (I know its off topic).

Did you like the Assault mode?

and yeah those are good examples of how you do a MP focused game right, fill it with a lot of content and allow expandability via mods.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@brah4ever said:

It's all about the $

The suits stepped in and guys who never played a game in their lives took charge after the CoD 4 success (pretty much all the suits saw the potential $ to be made in gaming and went in), that's what happened.

Comparing a fully MP game vs one which has a SP campaign and added MP? The SP in UT2004 is similar to that of Quake 3. It's not even close to the SP campaign of Gears of War.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Brah4ever

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@brah4ever said:

It's all about the $

Comparing a fully MP game vs one which has a SP campaign and added MP? The SP in UT2004 is similar to that of Quake 3. It's not even close to the SP campaign of Gears of War.

How about TitanFall (I can name more MP only games that have jack sh1t worth of a content).

MP only and about 15 maps with DLC included and much less game modes.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@brah4ever said:

How about TitanFall (I can name more MP only games that have jack sh1t worth of a content).

Can you show what the best maps are like for each one? I don't always believe more is better. It depends on the quality of the content.

I mean Quake, Quake 2, and UT had thousands (?) of built-in and user-made maps. But, most players usually settled on a fraction of them.

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Titanfall is lacking in overall content, but from a gameplay perspective, it really does what it does extremely well, and that is provide an extremely enjoyable gaming experience. It's incredibly fun.

I also waited until it was $14 on Origin before purchasing it. The power of voting with my wallet.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brah4ever

@jun_aka_pekto said:
@brah4ever said:

Can you show what the best maps are like for each one? I don't always believe more is better. It depends on the quality of the content.

I mean Quake, Quake 2, and UT had thousands (?) of built-in and user-made maps. But, most players usually settled on a fraction of them.

It would take awhile for my to gather a list. Epic Games made a an Editor's Choice Edition that they felt were the best user made maps and mods (like Killing Floor/Red Orchestra) included into this version of the game.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Brah4ever

@nusna_moebius said:
@brah4ever said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

Titanfall is lacking in overall content, but from a gameplay perspective, it really does what it does extremely well, and that is provide an extremely enjoyable gaming experience. It's incredibly fun.

I also waited until it was $14 on Origin before purchasing it. The power of voting with my wallet.

That's a good price, Titanfall definitely did not have $60 worth of content although it was definitely pretty fun.

NUSNA_Moebius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NUSNA_Moebius
Member since 2014 • 118 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@nusna_moebius said:
@brah4ever said:
@jun_aka_pekto said:

That's a good price, Titanfall definitely did not have $60 worth of content although it was definitely pretty fun.

It was the combination of being relatively strapped for cash at that time of it's launch, on top of not really having a proper PC for playing it. My machine did not have enough RAM, and my PC's mobo had RAM compatibility issues (it was extremely picky). I took a chance buying Titanfall in March 2014 and I couldn't even play it properly until I built a new PC in January of 2015.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

DLC and online play happened. When publishers found out you can omit parts of a game that would have made it whole and sell it off as DLC and now patch a game post launch it's all taken a turn for the weird. I mean issues that were just exclusive to PC gamers have now crept over to console gaming, maybe not the whole DLC thing. Not that DLC and online play have been terrible for console but it's changing the land scape. And now we have F2P games coming in and trying to change the business model again. Yeah this hobby just gets meh.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:
@brah4ever said:

Not to mention most UT players played on only 1, yes 1 map - Two Towers.

They even made copies of it - egypt style, modern and classic.

Bad example, should have used a non MP FPS game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#41 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Paid dlc poaching practices hurt gaming big time, and although the approach to pivoting games towards entertainment, while it has done some very good things for games, kind of takes some of the uniqueness of games IMO. Too many devs want to make interactive movies rather than world building and immersion on the typical level.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#42 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

The internet made development an on-going process. But, we still kept paying for all upfront. This asymmetry is the problem if you ask me.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22885 Posts

Stop paying for their practices... What are you really missing? Lukewarm games with below average stories and samezy gameplay. Stick to the gems or games that get it right and enjoy all those delicious psn/xbl games.

joynison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 joynison
Member since 2016 • 6 Posts

There are lot's of games that are not expensive. ;I think it's stupid if you already payed for a game and then still you have to pay to get better starting positions etc.

however it has changed for sure!

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

I was ok with the direction of gaming.. until pay to play online became the norm (for consoles). Now I try to concentrate on single player games with a multiplayer as a second thought. I'll play through a campaign multiple times before I put a game back on the shelf... then go back to it 6 months later. I enjoy playing through great stories.. so I'm not too bothered by the online raping that's going on.. but it still a terrible practice for the consumers.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@sSubZerOo said:

Plenty of games had had voice acting since well, the 90s and big set pieces are nothing new.

Look at TitanFall, has like what 7-8 maps, and the 2-3 DLC packs totaling at around 15 ish maps with no campaign, multiplayer only game. Explain.

You mentioned stop pre-ordering but the dumb masses who buy any game because "its new!" regardless of what it offers or adds outnumbers the more sensible logical gamer.

... UT2004 had a campaign of you facing bots on a multiplayer maps.. That is hardly what I would call a actual campaign.. And seriously? Voice Acting only starting taking off in which we were seeing large amounts of dialogue being used.. Outside of the live action motion games of the 90s, voice acting was hardly used like it is today with the kinds of quality we are seeing.. It's a completely different beast with the kind of production values there are.. Seriously compare the sizes of studios of today to the ones back during the 90s..

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2525 Posts

Actually I remember feeling burned when UT2k4 came out. Most of the content was ripped straight from the slightly floppy UT2k3.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#48 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59290 Posts

Modern gamers scream with joy when of $90 game with a fee-2-win model on top is used to justify "free" content.

Pitiable really.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#49 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
@brah4ever said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Yeah, I have UT2K4, the original one and the GOTY edition.

By the way, UT2K4 blew UT3 out of the water (I know its off topic).

Did you like the Assault mode?

and yeah those are good examples of how you do a MP focused game right, fill it with a lot of content and allow expandability via mods.

"clean up job of Unreal Tournament 2003", well aware it's a much better game, the point is you were way the **** off gassing up those old games for having a campaign. I agree we get way less maps than we used to, but let's be clear about a few things.

A: Unreal 2k4 gets that number through some generous padding

B: The way games are designed these days, triple A space doing that many maps is a bit absurd. Though I do think asking the devs to at least have fucking 15 maps on day 1 isn't asking for them to break the bank. Moddability is nice as well, but beyond that we've been getting mp games that are pretty fucking good.

Rainbow Six: Siege is easily the best Rainbow Six we've had since the glory days of Rogue Spear and Raven Shield, and Titanfall's larger issue was a lack of modes. Personally felt the core systems and maps were all well thought out and made for a fun, if a bit shallow first person shooter. Not every game has been battlefront or evolve where it's tried to nickle and dime errybody. Although yeah sure Siege takes advantage of idiots with microtransactions.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I agree wholeheartedly about the nickle-and-diming DLC nonsense being a tangible downgrade from eras past. But I think people have seriously rose tinted goggles too when they look back in time. There was so much crap on every system since the NES it isn't even funny. It's all well and good to look back on the the entire history of gaming and be able to find hundreds of fantastic games... but not reasonable to ignore the fact that they are out of how many thousands. I love retro gaming, but gaming has come a long way in good ways too.

BTW: the whole mandatory paid online MP started "back in the day" (as defined by your image above) on consoles. I remember my first foray with XBL. The image is therefore kind of misleading - UT was free to play on PC back then, but it still is now. Nothing has changed on that front. Also, PC games have tended to be cheaper than console games - this has not been the rule, neither back then nor now. But across platforms, $60 has been normal for a looooooong time. That's not really a valid critique of "the now".