Gaming Consoles: Dreamcast

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Some_One_Plays
Member since 2006 • 880 Posts

I think the Sega Dreamcast was the single greatest console ever made and won't be another console like it again. I also think Microsoft just remade the Dreamcast in their own vision which I think sucks compared to Dreamcast. I wrotea blog about this and that I should make a topic about this in system wars. I personally think they would've knocked out the compition if they stayed. The Half-Life would've been and exclusive as well as Virtual Fighter one of the best fighting games ever made.

The original XBOX copied the Dreamcast controller to a perfect T and a little from GameCube but no one never says anything. Yet Sony is the one who copies but really think about it?

I honestly want them (Sega) to make another console and if need be will sell the ones I have now for it. Yet that's just me.

Controllers

Sega Dreamcast

• Console
  • Top of controller
  • Bottom of controller
  • Fron of controller

Microsoft XBOX

• console
  • top view (original controller)
  • top view (Controller Type-S)
  • bottom view (XBOX 360)
  • front view (XBOX 360)

I couldn't find a front view of the original XBOX controller but if this becomes popular enough I'll physically take one myself. Sega I salute you with highest honors.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
The Dreamcast has to be the most overrated console in here, period.
EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts
ps2 hands down
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

The Dreamcast has to be the most overrated console in here, period.Panzer_Zwei

That and the Xbox 360.

The Dreamcast because from what I've heard and seen frommy research, the Saturn was better in everyway shape and form almost. Better controller, better third party games, more exclusives, superior to it's rivals with better 2D games, and just better games at least in my opinion.

As for the 360, I think people should travel back in time to Japan in 1994/95 or 95/96 to see what a real first two years of a consoles lifecycle should be like.

The Dreamcast is only highly regarded because it is regarded by many as better then the modern game consoles, well no crud anythings better then the modern consoles. See it wasn't the fact that the Dreamcast was amazingly good, just the fact that gaming systems today just suck. However this is all my opinion.

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SeanBond
Member since 2003 • 2136 Posts

The Xbox and GC both had better hardware, but neither of them matched the level of uniqueness of the games that came out for the DC. From Seaman to Jet Set Radio to Shenmue to Maken X, this was a system that constantly had something going on. If Sega ever announced a Dreamcast 2, I'd buy it, day one. Plus, how cool looking was the system? And the logo? It's thinking!!!

Edit: I will say, however, that the controller was a bit on the crap side.

SuperMario_46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#6 SuperMario_46
Member since 2006 • 4960 Posts
Gamecube had my favorite games of the last gen: Eternal darkness, RE4, REmake, Metroid prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW, Smash bros., Wave race blue storm, pikmin and many, many more.
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
hundreds of millions of people agree that the PS2 was the best :P
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts

PS2.

Dreamcast was good but overpraised, the console has been martyrized but it was just ill fated.

jaSteRdcX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 jaSteRdcX
Member since 2004 • 1944 Posts
dreamcast was good.. but ps2 was better.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I agree.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Some_One_Plays

Gamecube had my favorite games of the last gen: Eternal darkness, RE4, REmake, Metroid prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW, Smash bros., Wave race blue storm, pikmin and many, many more. SuperMario_46

With the games they cancelled a lot of them because of the discontinuing of the console it self. If it had went on the whole generation it would have killed in my opinion. Many of the best games now came from this console but got cancelled.

ChiChiMonKilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiChiMonKilla
Member since 2007 • 2339 Posts

For hardware xbox

For games ps2

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="SuperMario_46"]Gamecube had my favorite games of the last gen: Eternal darkness, RE4, REmake, Metroid prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW, Smash bros., Wave race blue storm, pikmin and many, many more. Some_One_Plays

With the games they cancelled a lot of them because of the discontinuing of the console it self. If it had went on the whole generation it would have killed in my opinion. Many of the best games now came from this console but got cancelled.

Exactly.

*If* if this if that, But in the end "it didn't happened", that's what counts.

I think pretty much everybody thought the Dreamcast had the potential to easily erase the Saturn, but in the end it didn't, and all the potential it had, all that it could've been, doesn't matter, because nothing happened.

That all the last year games were developed as multi-plats, the whole Space Channel 5/Rez DC/PS2 multi-commercials...I never was more disappointed in my life.

jackvegas21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 jackvegas21
Member since 2007 • 3157 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]The Dreamcast has to be the most overrated console in here, period.Gunraidan

That and the Xbox 360.

The Dreamcast because from what I've heard and seen frommy research, the Saturn was better in everyway shape and form almost. Better controller, better third party games, more exclusives, superior to it's rivals with better 2D games, and just better games at least in my opinion.

As for the 360, I think people should travel back in time to Japan in 1994/95 or 95/96 to see what a real first two years of a consoles lifecycle should be like.

The Dreamcast is only highly regarded because it is regarded by many as better then the modern game consoles, well no crud anythings better then the modern consoles. See it wasn't the fact that the Dreamcast was amazingly good, just the fact that gaming systems today just suck. However this is all my opinion.

How is the 360 overrated? It is constantly ostracized by fanboys and the media for its horrible hardware. Its not like the 360 is getting love and praise from everyone.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

[QUOTE="SuperMario_46"]Gamecube had my favorite games of the last gen: Eternal darkness, RE4, REmake, Metroid prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW, Smash bros., Wave race blue storm, pikmin and many, many more. Panzer_Zwei

Exactly.

I think pretty much everybody thought the Dreamcast had the potential to easily erase the Saturn, but in the end it didn't, and all the potential it had, all that it could've been, doesn't matter, because nothing happened.

That all the last year games were developed as multi-plats, the whole Space Channel 5/Rez DC/PS2 multi-commercials...I never was more disappointed in my life.

So you agree it had potential? Yet I'm so wondering why people keep saying Sony copies Microsoft when the whole entire system is a copy of Dreamcast? That's a good question in my opinion.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

How is the 360 overrated? It is constantly ostracized by fanboys and the media for its horrible hardware. Its not like the 360 is getting love and praise from everyone.

jackvegas21

Look around in the forums I see many people treat it like it's a God's console. Yes it is by far the best system of the three but that doesn't mean crud when the other 2 suck.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

[QUOTE="SuperMario_46"]Gamecube had my favorite games of the last gen: Eternal darkness, RE4, REmake, Metroid prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW, Smash bros., Wave race blue storm, pikmin and many, many more. Some_One_Plays

Exactly.

So you agree it had potential? Yet I'm so wondering why people keep saying Sony copies Microsoft when the whole entire system is a copy of Dreamcast? That's a good question in my opinion.

Yes I agree it had potential, like I said verybody thought, everybody "believed" it was going to be SEGA's best system, but it ended up falling short, so in the end it doesn't matter how much potential it had.

And I don't think the Xbox copied the Dreamcast, since it was nothing like the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast, like all SEGA consoles was based around Arcade s-tyle gaming, the Xbox was no such thing, it had no Arcade counterpart or anything like it.

I do believe that Peter Moore used the Dreamcast as a stepping stone foir the Xbox, seeing how MS tried to screw SEGA over and probably MS hiring him was his reward for selling out his former company.

user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
Between the xbox and the ps2 for me.. Why can't we vote for 2..
Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

[QUOTE="SuperMario_46"]Gamecube had my favorite games of the last gen: Eternal darkness, RE4, REmake, Metroid prime 1 & 2, Zelda WW, Smash bros., Wave race blue storm, pikmin and many, many more. Panzer_Zwei

Exactly.

Yes I agree it had potential, like I said verybody thought, everybody "believed" it was going to be SEGA's best system, but it ended up falling short, so in the end it doesn't matter how much potential it had.

And I don't think the Xbox copied the Dreamcast, since it was nothing like the Dreamcast. The Dreamcast, like all SEGA consoles was based around Arcade s-tyle gaming, the Xbox was no such thing, it had no Arcade counterpart or anything like it.

I do believe that Peter Moore used the Dreamcast as a stepping stone foir the Xbox, seeing how MS tried to screw SEGA over and probably MS hiring him was his reward for selling out his former company.

But that's my point that fact that it could have taken everyones money that's the whole point of my blog / post. So you're saying it's a stepping stone it's exactly the same controller only with two extra buttons and a joystick. If you think it was a stepping stone you're sadly misstaken. I would consider a stepping stone a another version of the VMU (Visual Memory Unit) for like game like football. Using the screen on the controller to pick your plays, or play poker games etc. That would have been a stepping stone. It even had mini games on that thing too so having downloads to that think and playing it in colour is a stepping stone. What they did was just copy.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

*looks at post*

*looks at sig*

What?

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Some_One_Plays

Between the xbox and the ps2 for me.. Why can't we vote for 2..user_nat

Because there can only be one number one.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Panzer_Zwei

But that's my point that fact that it could have taken everyones money that's the whole point of my blog / post. So you're saying it's a stepping stone it's exactly the same controller only with two extra buttons and a joystick. If you think it was a stepping stone you're sadly misstaken. I would consider a stepping stone a another version of the VMU (Visual Memory Unit) for like game like football. Using the screen on the controller to pick your plays, or play poker games etc. That would have been a stepping stone. It even had mini games on that thing too so having downloads to that think and playing it in colour is a stepping stone. What they did was just copy.

Some_One_Plays

Microsoft tried to make Dreamcast games playable on the Xbox,MS bought Shenmue II publishing rights in America, leaving the US Dreamcast users screwed, they got SEGA making a Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon games for them, which later SEGA regretted dearly, The Dreamcast got the most western support in a SEGA console for a reason, MS did tried to use the Dreamcast and SEGA as a stepping stone for their system.

The Dreamcast controller was even worse that the Saturn 3D controller, the ergonomics plain sucked, it had 2 buttons less than the Saturn controller, and the worst pad in a SEGA system ever, the whole controller was terrible designed for the mayority of games it was pre-destined to get, so if MS copied that I wouldn't say it's a plus.

But that they may have copied a controller design is trivial, when both consoles were abyssmally different at their core, the Dreamcast focused on totally different games that the Xbox, Dreamcast was Arcade, it had the Naomi, the Xbox was nothing like the Dreamcast, at all.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Panzer_Zwei

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]The Dreamcast has to be the most overrated console in here, period.organic_machine

*looks at post*

*looks at sig*

What?

You should re-read the sig. ;)
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Obviously PS2 was the best since it had the most complete game library.
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MetroidPrimePwn
PS2 is probably the best of those. It still has pretty decent games coming out for it, which really makes me think I didn't completely waste my money after the PS3 came out.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

You should re-read the sig. ;)Panzer_Zwei

Woah, I never actually read it before. :shock:

*slams head*

Whoops. Well, I guess, even if I HAD read it, I would probably think you were serious. Only due to the fact the people on SW say outrageous things. :?

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

Panzer_Zwei

Microsoft tried to make Dreamcast games playable on the Xbox,MS bought Shenmue II publishing rights in America, leaving the US Dreamcast users screwed, they got SEGA making a Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon games for them, which later SEGA regretted dearly, The Dreamcast got the most western support in a SEGA console for a reason, MS did tried to use the Dreamcast and SEGA as a stepping stone for their system.

The Dreamcast controller was even worse that the Saturn 3D controller, the ergonomics plain sucked, it had 2 buttons less than the Saturn controller, and the worst pad in a SEGA system ever, the whole controller was terrible designed for the mayority of games it was pre-destined to get, so if MS copied that I wouldn't say it's a plus.

But that they may have copied a controller design is trivial, when both consoles were abyssmally different at their core, the Dreamcast focused on totally different games that the Xbox, Dreamcast was Arcade, it had the Naomi, the Xbox was nothing like the Dreamcast, at all.

The Dreamcast had Virtual Fighter, Half-Life, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Shenmue, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Dead or Alive 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights and many more. If it went on these most likely would have been exclusives and some now are popular today as we speak. With the controller thing that could have been easily fixed Sony made a new controller 1997 adding a new joystick so that means nothing to me. The only reason people aren't saying it wasn't good because they stopped many things on it but you wouldn't be saying that if it was still out selling games like the PlayStation 2 right now.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

The original XBOX copied the Dreamcast controller to a perfect T

and a little from GameCube but no one never says anything

Some_One_Plays

Guess they didn't copy the Dreamcast controller to a perfet T because the Dreamcast and Gamecube controllers have nothing similar other then their start button placement. Joysticks and D-Pads are in different areas. Nintendo has three shoulder buttons and those trigger/button things, Gamecube didn't have the standard face button setup.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

The original XBOX copied the Dreamcast controller to a perfect T

and a little from GameCube but no one never says anything

Blackbond

Guess they didn't copy the Dreamcast controller to a perfet T because the Dreamcast and Gamecube controllers have nothing similar other then their start button placement. Joysticks and D-Pads are in different areas. Nintendo has three shoulder buttons and those trigger/button things, Gamecube didn't have the standard face button setup.

lol, I was talking about the placement of the joysticks and D-pad on the GameCube. On the Dreamcast the whole design of the controller. Even Wikipedia says it was similar to those controllers as well.

MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MetroidPrimePwn

Some_One_Plays

The Dreamcast had Virtual Fighter, Half-Life, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Shenmue, Ultimate Fighting Championship, Dead or Alive 2, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Prince of Persia: Arabian Nights and many more. If it went on these most likely would have been exclusives and some now are popular today as we speak. With the controller thing that could have been easily fixed Sony made a new controller 1997 adding a new joystick so that means nothing to me. The only reason people aren't saying it wasn't good because they stopped many things on it but you wouldn't be saying that if it was still out selling games like the PlayStation 2 right now.

Yeah, the Dreamcast COULD have been a great system, it had a lot of potential, but it DIED. All the potential in the world means nothing when the company drops support.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Some_One_Plays

MetroidPrimePwn

Yeah, the Dreamcast COULD have been a great system, it had a lot of potential, but it DIED. All the potential in the world means nothing when the company drops support.

That's my point why would a company drop something like that does anyone know why they did it in the first place? To me something must have happened because it doesn't make sense why they would drop it and leave it in the dust like that?

SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SeanBond

MetroidPrimePwn

It WAS a great system, just only for a few years. But those few years that it was in production, the Dreamcast had a pretty varied and quality lineup.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

Haven't played a game since PSO that I've enjoyedquite so much.Probably because I don't play online anymore as its too 'life absorbing'. The controller wasn't so bad once you got used to it - same as any other controller really.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Panzer_Zwei

That's my point why would a company drop something like that does anyone know why they did it in the first place? To me something must have happened because it doesn't make sense why they would drop it and leave it in the dust like that?

Some_One_Plays

Because it failed big time commercially, why else would they drop it?

Most of the Dreamcast systems were sold at mass clearance sales, at less than half it's original price, high piracy killed the already low software sales, and to finally kill it, it also failed in Japan.

Nobody bought the Dreamcast or it's games when it counted, a shame really.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

Panzer_Zwei

Most of the Dreamcast systems were sold at mass clearance sales, at less than half it's original price, high piracy killed the already low software sales, and to finally kill it, it also failed in Japan.

Nobody bought the Dreamcast or it's games when it counted.

Finally I'm gettig somewhere, so do you think this happened because no one really knew much about it? Why do you think it failed making a profit? I don't think piracy was the main cause because that's what made the PlayStation 2so popular because it was easy to pick up games. I know a lot a people who souly bought the PlayStation 2 to buy burned / copiedgames.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts
It failed because peole bypassed the little white box awaiting the arrival of the PS2 and prmises of toy story graphics/etc. Apart fromthe old faithful, most peoplesimply held their little purses tightly shut. There were some fantastic games out for it, but no true major franchises bar a few semi-popular arcade games, which at the late 90's were dwindling in popularity andutilised mainly by the hardcore gamers. There were no golden axes and out runs like in the 80's which alone shifted quite a few 16 bit machines.
SeanBond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SeanBond

Some_One_Plays

Finally I'm gettig somewhere, so do you think this happened because no one really knew much about it? Why do you think it failed making a profit? I don't think piracy was the main cause because that's what made the PlayStation 2so popular because it was easy to pick up games. I know a lot a people who souly bought the PlayStation 2 to buy burned / copiedgames.

I think one of the biggest problems was that a lot of people were waiting for the PS2, in the hopes that it would be a more powerful system. If you think about it, this was one of the reasons the PS3 sold so well at launch; Sony does an excellent job of hyping the hell out of their systems, until the masses believe it is the console to get. A lot of people started gaming with FFVII and the like, and so their next logical system would be the PS2. Also, public opinion of Sega was fairly low at the time of the Dreamcast (many expected it to instantly fail),considering the32X and Sega CD had bombed, and the Saturn was an extremely expensive system without the library of the PS1.Add to that the fact that 3rd party devs were also holding back a good deal for the PS2, and you cansee why the Dreamcast failed.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Panzer_Zwei

Some_One_Plays

They knew about it, but they just ignored it. Then it died, and it suddenly became the cool console, then it's become a fad to praise the Dreamcast since then on.

And SEGA wasn't in the same position as Sony, when you aren't either selling consoles, or software, then you're in serious trouble. IIRC, when Shenmue released, the sales expectations for the game required all Dreamcast owners to buy the game 2 times, since there were so little Dreamcast users.

johncraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 johncraven
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts
hmm, no? the dreamcast controller is very uncomfortable, simply because there's not enough space. the two triggers at the back are badly positioned. the phalanxes of my index fingers hit against the side of the memory slots and its awkward. it's funny how you didn't show pictures of the back of the xbox controllers because you are aware of such flaw.
Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Some_One_Plays

SeanBond

You know the funny thing is the Nintendo 64 launched with two games and is still in the game but Sony had just barely a handfull with low sales. I find that very interesting and still wonder what the hell do gamers want in the first place?

I think one of the biggest problems was that a lot of people were waiting for the PS2, in the hopes that it would be a more powerful system. If you think about it, this was one of the reasons the PS3 sold so well at launch; Sony does an excellent job of hyping the hell out of their systems, until the masses believe it is the console to get. A lot of people started gaming with FFVII and the like, and so their next logical system would be the PS2. Also, public opinion of Sega was fairly low at the time of the Dreamcast (many expected it to instantly fail),considering the32X and Sega CD had bombed, and the Saturn was an extremely expensive system without the library of the PS1.Add to that the fact that 3rd party devs were also holding back a good deal for the PS2, and you cansee why the Dreamcast failed.

I find it interesting that the Nintendo 64 launched with two games yet the PlayStation 3 just barely a handful of games with low sales. I just wounder sometimes what do gamers really want?

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Some_One_Plays

hmm, no? the dreamcast controller is very uncomfortable, simply because there's not enough space. the two triggers at the back are badly positioned. the phalanxes of my index fingers hit against the side of the memory slots and its awkward. it's funny how you didn't show pictures of the back of the xbox controllers because you are aware of such flaw.johncraven

If you're talking about the original XBOX I couldn't find one but if I need to I will physically take one to post.

_koolgirl_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 _koolgirl_
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts

Some_One_Plays

Honestly, IMO, Sony killed it. There were other issues, piracy, the lack of western support. However the system was HUGE in Japan, games were released for it 2 and 3 years after the system was already dead.

Honestly at the time when people should have bought it, they were all "waiting for PS2". You spoke of DC to people and the general response was "PS2 will be out in a year and blow it out of the water". Very few people even gave it a chance.

Honestly I miss the Sega innovativness. Sega was ALWAYS a generation before it's time and underappreciated. They were the first to really delve into online (other systems including SNES and genesis had online support through special modems but mostly only in Japan). They had the Sega channel, which was basically an early entry into downloadable content. Hell even the DC had the Dream Eye (Japan only) which included a camera and headset for video chat online.

ALL the other systems seem to be playing catch up to what Sega invisioned 10 years ago.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Panzer_Zwei

SeanBond

The PS2 hype was a given fact, it was gonna happen no matter what, to think that SEGA didn't had it in mind is make-believe.

The Saturn might not have had the amount of games the Playstation got, but it got more games than the N64. It got a more than suitable library, and it got by with it in Japan.

Third party was more alienated with the fact that SEGA decided to kill the Saturn so soon, than because they were waiting to make games for the Playstation 2, since regardless of how successful the Playstation was, they still were supporting the Saturn.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

_koolgirl_

Honestly, IMO, Sony killed it. There were other issues, piracy, the lack of western support. However the system was HUGE in Japan, games were released for it 2 and 3 years after the system was already dead.

Honestly at the time when people should have bought it, they were all "waiting for PS2". You spoke of DC to people and the general response was "PS2 will be out in a year and blow it out of the water". Very few people even gave it a chance.

Honestly I miss the Sega innovativness. Sega was ALWAYS a generation before it's time and underappreciated. They were the first to really delve into online (other systems including SNES and genesis had online support through special modems but mostly only in Japan). They had the Sega channel, which was basically an early entry into downloadable content. Hell even the DC had the Dream Eye (Japan only) which included a camera and headset for video chat online.

ALL the other systems seem to be playing catch up to what Sega invisioned 10 years ago.

I know I mentioned that in my blog a little but I agree with you completely. Even some people say the Sony PlayStation 3is a ahead with specs and no one cares about blu-ray or hd dvds. It's just so interesting how things turn out when you have it all.

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

_koolgirl_

The system failed big time in Japan. :?

And yeah, games are still coming, out...average SHMUPS Naomi ports.

Silvereign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Silvereign
Member since 2006 • 3006 Posts

If it was that great it wouldn't have kicked the bucket so early.

johncraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 johncraven
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

the xbox controller is much better than the dreamcast one (more comfortable). The dreamcast console is not wide enough, it feels like you're being handcuffed. This is coming from a guy who spent hours in a row on shenmue, jet set radio and whatnot.

akuma303x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 akuma303x
Member since 2004 • 3703 Posts

[QUOTE="johncraven"]hmm, no? the dreamcast controller is very uncomfortable, simply because there's not enough space. the two triggers at the back are badly positioned. the phalanxes of my index fingers hit against the side of the memory slots and its awkward. it's funny how you didn't show pictures of the back of the xbox controllers because you are aware of such flaw.Some_One_Plays

If you're talking about the original XBOX I couldn't find one but if I need to I will physically take one to post.

Your right about a couplae things and wrong about a couple in my opinion. First being - Your correct in thinking the fundamental DC controller placement was ripped off and the triggers were. But your wrong in the term. Ripped off is wrong. MS new that design was the most efficient design they could concieve with todays tech. It was killer. I forget the name of the game now, but the dreamcast had this game where you could pick tanks, and airplanes, and jeeps, and they were all micro machines and the whole house was they battle field. I remember saying the F-N triggers are the best thing ever. I even remember that in Soul Calibur 1, (still a better looking game than any PS2 game in my opinion again) they helped keeped the game so controllable it was rediculious. It still stands as the best SC ever if you ask me. But you say the DC was the best system ever. I disagree. But it had a kickbootox controller and Im glad I can still game with some of the features of that great controller for it's time. Id say MS just perfected it. Your views are just twisted.
Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Some_One_Plays

the xbox controller is much better than the dreamcast one (more comfortable). The dreamcast console is not wide enough, it feels like you're being handcuffed. This is coming from a guy who spent hours in a row on shenmue, jet set radio and whatnot.

johncraven

Nice picture but to tell you the truth the Dreamcast controller didn't bother me at all. I have heard people complaining about the GameCube controller but I that didn't bother me as well. So far there hasn't been a controller I've touched complained about.

Some_One_Plays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Some_One_Plays
[QUOTE="Some_One_Plays"]

[QUOTE="johncraven"]hmm, no? the dreamcast controller is very uncomfortable, simply because there's not enough space. the two triggers at the back are badly positioned. the phalanxes of my index fingers hit against the side of the memory slots and its awkward. it's funny how you didn't show pictures of the back of the xbox controllers because you are aware of such flaw.akuma303x

Your right about a couplae things and wrong about a couple in my opinion. First being - Your correct in thinking the fundamental DC controller placement was ripped off and the triggers were. But your wrong in the term. Ripped off is wrong. MS new that design was the most efficient design they could concieve with todays tech. It was killer. I forget the name of the game now, but the dreamcast had this game where you could pick tanks, and airplanes, and jeeps, and they were all micro machines and the whole house was they battle field. I remember saying the F-N triggers are the best thing ever. I even remember that in Soul Calibur 1, (still a better looking game than any PS2 game in my opinion again) they helped keeped the game so controllable it was rediculious. It still stands as the best SC ever if you ask me. But you say the DC was the best system ever. I disagree. But it had a kickbootox controller and Im glad I can still game with some of the features of that great controller for it's time. Id say MS just perfected it. Your views are just twisted.

lol, my views are twisted Mircosoft is known to take ideas from other companies and get popular from it. Like the OS (Operating System) they took ideas from Apple yet Mircosoft is the more popular one. Yet you can't get viruses on the Mac but have no games so it all depends I guess. My views aren't twisted because it's different from yours. If Microsoft were to perfect this it would have kept that screen on the controller and used it for games. Do you know how cool that would be to have a screen there to do things while playing a game. Yet again my ideas might be to ahead for this time to work the way I want it to.