GameTrailers defends their Uncharted 2 review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Revolution316
Member since 2009 • 2877 Posts

GameTrailers, one of the most popular video game websites, recently reviewed and gave Uncharted 2: Among Thieves a 9.3 score out of 10. Apparently, that didn't sit well with a few people. Shane Satterfield, Editor-in-Chief of GameTrailers, decided to defend his review of the Playstation 3 exclusive game in the latest Invisible Walls podcast. Here is his statement regarding the controversial review:

As far as people's criticisms of the review are concern, what I saw the most was people were upset that I dinged it so much for it not being original. And that's the comment I saw the most on message boards and our comments. And the truth of the matter is it's not original. It doesn't really do anything that hasn't been done in other games.

And people say: 'oh well, you compared it to Gears of War, why did Gears of War get a higher score?' Gears of War 2 was released a year ago. The original Gears of War was released way before that. So the expectations change over time. You can't just create a 'me too' game where you grab all the best features from all the games that are over a year old and expect to get the same score a year later for those same features.

Now, honestly, there was nothing original in Uncharted 2. To be perfectly honest with you, the 9.3 that game got is about as high a score as a game like that is ever going to get on GameTrailers and that's the bottom line.

When we review games, we put an extremely high emphasis on originality. Why do you think Super Mario Galaxy scored so high? It's because it did tons of things that no game had ever done before. It's platforming upside down in that game. I was platforming around round levels in that game. There's nothing like that in Uncharted 2.

And again, I've said it a million times, the game is freaking incredible. The last line in the review says: 'go buy the game. If you have a PS3, go freaking buy it.' What more can I say? But at the same time I cannot sleight the other games that did go above and beyond and did take a risk.

And that's what Uncharted 2 doesn't do. There are no risks associated with that game at all. They played it completely safe. They took things that they knew were accepted and people loved and build it into one game. And that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. But you can't expect a score of a 9.8 or a 9.5 and higher if you're doing something like that.

Link

Boycott GameTrailers

No i did not make the petition lol....but i sure as hell signed it:P

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I agree with Gametrailers here. Not even on the review itself but on the context that its applied. The logic is sound to me.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#3 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

legitamate argument, honestly, people that are complaining seriously need to find other things to put their mind to that's ridiculous.

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Revolution316

GT is owned by MTV, which is owned by Viacom, which is owned by Microsoft

yes or no?

also filling PS3's most antisipated game with spoilers in teh review kinda shows were they are trying to get at...

Being Original =/= quality. sure you can not give it a 10 for that reason but a 9.3? please...

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol @ having to justify a 9.3

why even try to explain your thinking to a bunch of insane fanboys? what's the point? what do you hope to do? make them see reason?

i bet they wish they had just stuck it with a 7.5 just to watch the fireworks

edit: i just noticed you linked a boycott BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA oh man that's just rich

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
why are people whining over this?! 9.3 is a good score...
cloudff7tm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cloudff7tm
Member since 2006 • 3975 Posts

People are still talking about this? Get over it already. It's not like it didn't get amazing scores everywhere else.

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Snagal123
Member since 2006 • 3524 Posts

So they claim originality is needed for a 9.8 and gave Halo 3 a 9.8?

ThatGuyFromB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ThatGuyFromB4
Member since 2009 • 697 Posts

why are people whining over this?! 9.3 is a good score...wolverine4262

Because Uncharted 2 is a gift from God himself and deserves nothing less than a 10.

Am I doing it right, cows?

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wolverine4262

yes or no?

also filling PS3's most antisipated game with spoilers in teh review kinda shows were they are trying to get at...

Revolution316

Thats a big fat NO

-Oath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Oath
Member since 2008 • 8014 Posts

Sounds reasonable to me.

I thought the review was fine to begin with though.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts
ok, so why do people complain about a review? I dont get it, so what?
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
ohhh nooo, it ONLY got a 9.3!!! That's ridiculous!
Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts

Snagal123

This is why Gametrailers lost credibility a long time ago.

GiantMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GiantMuffin
Member since 2009 • 420 Posts

This topic was already posted.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27066461&page=9&tag=topics;lastpage

And i'll copy paste my post to the people who are hating on cows.

Everyone who thinks cows are complaining because of the 9.3 doesn't get it.

It's not the 9.3 It's that the reviewer lowered points because U2 wasn't original. However Halo 3 wasn't docked any points for not being original. Same goes for Gears 2.

If Modern Warfare 2 doesn't get docked any points then that's another one. People are mad because there's these double standards for PS3 games that don't seem to be applied to 360 games.

It doesn't help that GT has already been caught botching their video comparisons with actual proof/facts.

cdav89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cdav89
Member since 2006 • 381 Posts

I agree that giving away the Spoiler in the review was dumb on their part, but it seems pretty silly that everyone is in an uproar because the game didn't get higher that a 9.3. I mean that score seems pretty remarkable, it's a very good score. And their reasoning is logical; you can't exactly call that game original. Everything in the game has been done before, but Naughty Dog just molded all of those elemets together perfectly. I think that all these people upset about this should just play the game and enjoy it rather than worry about a review one site gave it. It has amazing scores across the board, do 0.2 points really matter?

Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

I agree with Gametrailers here. Not even on the review itself but on the context that its applied. The logic is sound to me.

ActicEdge

how is it "sound", when ODST , an expansion gets close to a 9. It really doesnt make sense, especially since it used the same engine and brought nothing new to the table.

the new mode has already been created in many games< ex GEOW. So really, gametrailers is wrong.

I guess based on their logic, CODMW2 will get less than 9.3 since it didnt change its mechanics. However it did add kill streaks. but im sure kill streaks in MP arent going to get it a 9.5.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

yes or no?

Being Original =/= quality. sure you can not give it a 10 for that reason but a 9.3? please...

Revolution316

*facepalm* They've spoiled loads of other exclusives on other platforms before, that's one of the weaknesses with GT's reviews.

I'm not going to argue with a person who thinks a game that does nothing new deserves more than 9.3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
it got AAAE! for gods sake cows, get over it
ThatGuyFromB4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ThatGuyFromB4
Member since 2009 • 697 Posts

Snagal123

Forge mode and replay editor anyone?

Revolution316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Revolution316

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

yes or no?

kaealy

*facepalm* They've spoiled loads of other exclusives on other platforms before, that's one of the weaknesses with GT's reviews.

I'm not going to argue with a person who thinks a game that does nothing new deserves more than 9.3.

so halo 3 got a 9.8 beeeecccaaauuusseee?? its halo 3?

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

I respect GT's decision and response, but calling it unoriginal/playing it safe compared to gears of war is very shady. The two are are distinct enough from each other to not have to compete. Gears of war is slower paced, and more depended on cover, if you are trying to fight out of cover you will be dead in a minute. Uncharted is more fast paced, more running around, and more vertical as well. When playing online for uncharted i try my best to never stay in one spot for more then a few seconds, ill take cover, kill someone, chuck a grenade, run away, then climb up to a balcony and pull the enemy off, just in time to take his sniper and snipe his back up. That is what makes uncharted different and unique, its not playing it safe they added so much more compared to the first game, and the playing style is unique enough to differentiate from gears of war.

To me it just sounds like the reviewer is a gears of war fan, now thats not bad, he likes the game, but uncharted will probably never be better then gears for him. Everyone is that way sometimes. For instance i respect halo as a game, its fun as hell, but i wouldnt say its unique and or that it does anything new. The truth to it is that is a lie, halo does plenty of things new to seperate it from other games. COD and Halo are both FPS games, but they are different enough to be their own games, they should never be compared. To me, that is what uncharted and gears of war are like now.

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts

yes or no?

Revolution316

National Amusements owns Viacom.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

They shouldn't have to defend anything. There was nothing wrong or controversial withn this review, any arguing over this is just pathetic.

XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

This topic was already posted.

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27066461&page=9&tag=topics;lastpage

And i'll copy paste my post to the people who are hating on cows.

Everyone who thinks cows are complaining because of the 9.3 doesn't get it.

It's not the 9.3 It's that the reviewer lowered points because U2 wasn't original. However Halo 3 wasn't docked any points for not being original. Same goes for Gears 2.

If Modern Warfare 2 doesn't get docked any points then that's another one. People are mad because there's these double standards for PS3 games that don't seem to be applied to 360 games.

It doesn't help that GT has already been caught botching their video comparisons with actual proof/facts.

GiantMuffin

This, everyone wants to focus on the score aspect when thats not the point. Its this standard that has suddenly appeared for Uncharted 2. Suddenly originality is somehow now the biggest factor in a game.

As I said in the hype thread, this was a lame justification for a lame grading rubric that only applies to a few games.

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

Lethalhazard

This is why Gametrailers lost credibility a long time ago.

Forge is original for a console game, matchmaking was refined and updated. You can save and upload photos and videos. Equipment changed a lot about Halo and how it is played. Uncharted deserves a 9.5+ no doubt, but their reasons for giving it a 9.3 are justified and well thought out unlike yours and a great number of posters in this thread and in system wars in general.
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Didn't they spam the EA forums before? I wonder if GameTrailers is next for the stampede.

DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DeadMagazines
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts

Snagal123
Remind which console FPS games have features similar to Forge and Theatre with the amount of varied playlists that Halo 3 does. I can wait.
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

yes or no?

Revolution316

Awesome game like UC2, but Halo 3 had Forge mode and replay editor earning those extra points. What's the point in you arguing and using Halo 3 in your argument when you don't even know what it contains?

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Snagal123

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

ThatGuyFromB4

Maybe if you've only ever played a FPS on consoles you would call that original. Even then Farcry on Xbox had a map editor.

Regardless of that, i wouldn't use it, i bet most wouldn't use it, the gameplay had nothing original about it, but it got a 9.8. Gametrailers are a victim of the hype machine, but maybe they will change with this current statement...

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 wolverine4262
[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

DeadMagazines
Remind which console FPS games have features similar to Forge and Theatre with the amount of varied playlists that Halo 3 does. I can wait.

not to mention the ability to upload media, custom maps and gametypes to bungie.net
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i've seen both piles of people here and some critics call halo's forge and theater mode innovative, were they wrong?

that question is serious btw i really don't play halo mp and have never used either mode

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

While I agree that they shouldnt have to justify their score, I LOLed at how he called Mario Galaxy original...or ANY mario game for that matter.

Mr_Nordquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_Nordquist
Member since 2009 • 1777 Posts

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

kaealy

Awesome game like UC2, but Halo 3 had Forge mode and replay editor earning those extra points. What's the point in you arguing and using Halo 3 in your argument when you don't even know what it contains?

Cows are still damage controlling over Halo :lol:

madmidnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 madmidnight
Member since 2004 • 2066 Posts

[QUOTE="ThatGuyFromB4"]

[QUOTE="Snagal123"]

Snagal123

Maybe if you've only ever played a FPS on consoles you would call that original. Even then Farcry on Xbox had a map editor.

Regardless of that, i wouldn't use it, i bet most wouldn't use it, the gameplay had nothing original about it, but it got a 9.8. Gametrailers are a victim of the hype machine, but maybe they will change with this current statement...

You know I bet when they reviewed Halo they were comparing it to other FPS on consoles, thus making it original. Just a thought, maybe you should start trying to have one sometime.
yoshi_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#38 yoshi_64
Member since 2003 • 25261 Posts
So... how come people are crying over a really freaking amazing score and game review that said to literally buy this game if you owna PS3 and praise it so much? No one is ever happy, I get it, but c'mon... celebrate!!!!
Ribnarak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ribnarak
Member since 2008 • 2299 Posts

its obvious, and literally if anyone denies this, they are joking.

ODST got close to a 9 for brining nothing NEW*

UNCHARTED 2 gets 9.3 with a wayy better campaign, movie like scenes, NEW multiplayer addon (fast paced), climbing in MP (plat forming), arguably the best graphics this gen for consoles.

Its clear that GT does not standardize their scoring.

IF MW2 gets more than 9.3 i will be schocked, because i doubt it brings anything new to the FPS genre. Except for maybe customizable kill streaks. But even custom kill streaks wont make it go to a 9.5. Remember this is by their standards and how they view U2.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wolverine4262
All I see in here is cows crying because other supposedly "unoriginal" games got higher scores... Instead of doing that, why not say what score you think UC2 should have received and actually give some valid reasoning? Cant you let the game stand on its own without having to compare it to others?
TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
So lets see what MW2 get from them then.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts
I agree with GT here since they fully explained why the game got that score and I think it deserved it. Remember, graphics doesnt make a game.
93soccer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 93soccer
Member since 2009 • 4602 Posts

[QUOTE="kaealy"]

[QUOTE="Revolution316"]

yes or no?

Revolution316

It got 9.8 beeeeeeeeeeeecccccccccccccccaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuusssssssssseeeeeeee it included things like forge mode and theather mode which had never been effectively done before.

SRTtoZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SRTtoZ
Member since 2009 • 4800 Posts

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

While I agree that they shouldnt have to justify their score, I LOLed at how he called Mario Galaxy original...or ANY mario game for that matter.

ActicEdge

What was the last platformer to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack?
What was the last platformer to have spherical worlds with gravity mechanics implemented as its core design philosophy.
What was the last platformer where you skated across blocks of lava suspended in the starry depths of space switching between positive and negative gravityracing to your next ice powerup before you lose the ability to freeze the burning hot molten liquid below you and meet your untimely end?
To call Super Mario Galaxy Unoriginal is to say you know nothing of the platforming genre or gaming in general. Hand in your gamer badge and leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Haha!!! Relax!!

Snagal123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Snagal123

You know I bet when they reviewed Halo they were comparing it to other FPS on consoles, thus making it original. Just a thought, maybe you should start trying to have one sometime. madmidnight

So the forge and map editor are original, fine, the gameplay, the narrative, the story? No, it was just more Halo.

I'm not saying Halo 3 is bad, but a 9.8? I don't think UC2 need more than a 9.3 either, the points the guy makes are valid.

Gametrailers reviews just don't seem right when you listen to what they say and the score they put on the end. They praise a game and barely criticize it and it gets a 8, they criticize a game quite abit and it gets a 9.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
What? That's totally fine, who the hell is getting pissed anyway? THAT'S AAA PEOPLE. AAA = SUPERB, WHICH MEANS YOU SHOULD BE HAPPY. I don't remember Halo fans flipping the hell out when Halo 3 didn't get a bazillion out of 10.
DeadMagazines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DeadMagazines
Member since 2009 • 1593 Posts
its obvious, and literally if anyone denies this, they are joking.

ODST got close to a 9 for brining nothing NEW*

UNCHARTED 2 gets 9.3 with a wayy better campaign, movie like scenes, NEW multiplayer addon (fast paced), climbing in MP (plat forming), arguably the best graphics this gen for consoles. Ribnarak
1) ODST got a 9 for being a solid experience. Campaign is great, and Firefight is a great mode. It's not just a rehash Horde mode, skulls and shared lives change everything. What's gold rush offer that makes it stand out? CTF? :roll: 2) U2's multiplayer is a straight rip from other modes, so no it's not new. Cod4 perks and Gears 2 gameplay. Seriously quit talking about "platforming", it doesn't bring much to the table in terms of changing gameplay. There are elevation advantages in Gears without having to jump or climb a ladder. 3) Graphics ...I think reviewers could care less at this point, it's expected that these games look good by now. Quit crying, thank you.
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#49 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

I think the score is fine and I do agree that the game doesn't really change any existing formulas. Yet it is a double standard to dock points on originality when other blockbuster games don't get critiqued on that. I'd feel better about it if they were.

enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts

[QUOTE="SRTtoZ"]

ActicEdge

What was the last platformer to have a fully orchestrated soundtrack?
What was the last platformer to have spherical worlds with gravity mechanics implemented as its core design philosophy.
What was the last platformer where you skated across blocks of lava suspended in the starry depths of space switching between positive and negative gravityracing to your next ice powerup before you lose the ability to freeze the burning hot molten liquid below you and meet your untimely end?
To call Super Mario Galaxy Unoriginal is to say you know nothing of the platforming genre or gaming in general. Hand in your gamer badge and leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

:lol: Gimme a E-high five for that ownage, man.