GameStop Sells Played Games As New, (should be shut down)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kidonre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 kidonre
Member since 2009 • 441 Posts
http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-309515.aspx Kotaku writes: "The alleged practice of GameStop lending new copies of games to employees at their stores and then later selling those games as new, unused copies, may be a violation of federal law. GameStop's "check-out" policy, confirmed to Kotaku by a number of the chain's managers and employees, could fall under scrutiny of the Federal Trade Commission." ------- GS, EB games, or game crazy will all constantly try to rip gamers off, if you don't reserve a game and try to buy on launch day despite having more than enough copies, they will make you pay $10 for an edge card or GS card in order to get the game. you buy a $60 game and come back the next week and will only give a petty $30 for it, and then turn around and sell it for $55 used to gamer who thought he/she was getting a "good dead" but was too stupid to realize they could just get it brand new for just $5 more and also support the devs. they will even have the balls to put out opened games slapped with "NEW" sticker and charge it for full price hell even gamestop employee will come right out nowadays and tell you how bad it is working there, there told to lie and do what ever it takes to get the customers money lol at you if you really think GS,EB, or gamecrazy care about gamers
Cicatraz_ESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cicatraz_ESP
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

Agreed, I've never really shopped at Gamestop or EB or GameCrazy anyways. I hate the sales push, and how the employees act like they know EVERYTHING about gaming.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61543 Posts

The EBGames around my area isn't bad, they're usually pretty knowledgable, and when I buy new games, they are sealed properly. I don't mind them really.

cody3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cody3232
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

crapi think this happened with my lost oddyssey copy, i figured maybe it was just a display model. if i had of know this i would of gotten the used one for like 15$ cheaper. And they put of one of those sticker thats impossible to completely get off on it so its all stick on the top right coner,still works so i suppose i shouldnt complain too much.

Avatar image for ExplosiveChorro
ExplosiveChorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ExplosiveChorro
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts

That's why I never go there anymore. I always thought Gamestop was really shoddy.

Avatar image for Twinbladez90210
Twinbladez90210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Twinbladez90210
Member since 2009 • 95 Posts
game>>>>>>>>gamestop
kidonre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kidonre

[QUOTE="kidonre"]My freind was to stupid to realize gthat the used game he bought... could be bought at target across the street brand new for just $5 more The used game he bought from GS had: no instruction, no case, lots of scratches, and cum stains on the back.DarkGamer007

That is your friend's problem. Anyone whoreceiveda case/game in such condition would look for a different one or buy a new copy. Also just ask for a sealed copy of the game at the counter.

when you ask for game "A" they always bring you a used copy without even asking you if you want a new one or not
Mind_Mover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mind_Mover
Member since 2005 • 1489 Posts

I hope they get into serious trouble for this.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#12 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
My freind was to stupid to realize gthat the used game he bought... could be bought at target across the street brand new for just $5 more The used game he bought from GS had: no instruction, no case, lots of scratches, and cum stains on the back.kidonre
on the back of what? you said it had no case...
kidonre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kidonre
[QUOTE="kidonre"]My freind was to stupid to realize gthat the used game he bought... could be bought at target across the street brand new for just $5 more The used game he bought from GS had: no instruction, no case, lots of scratches, and cum stains on the back.cainetao11

the disk or the GS game cases they use when a game has no original case i forget
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

GameCrazy I shop at doesn't do any of those things. Seriously. I don't have an edge card and I buy big games without preordering them monthly... they are also sealed soooo... :|

Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
[QUOTE="kidonre"]My freind was to stupid to realize gthat the used game he bought... could be bought at target across the street brand new for just $5 more The used game he bought from GS had: no instruction, no case, lots of scratches, and cum stains on the back.cainetao11

Obviously lying. Just so people know, if you do by chance get a display copy and it is opened, ask for the open box discount, 10% off the game.
Ze_ALEX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ze_ALEX
Member since 2007 • 1793 Posts

I feel bad for anyone, that sell their games/consoles to gamestop

but then again... I don't

stiltzsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 stiltzsy
Member since 2008 • 1486 Posts
It happened to me. My wife bought me COD4 for xmas a couple years ago. I was like...WTF...why is the sticker not on it. The store said it was the last copy and so they sold me the one on display. But yeah...it was used; however, it did play fine.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
That's why I use gamefly. I have a habit of buying games and not playing them once I beat them. Not interested in collecting them so I return them. This gen I'm noly buying games that I will certainly play overtime. So I rent the other games I sort of want to play.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Both my The Darkness and Condemned 2: Bloodshot were "new" and both had finger prints on the discs. The only reason I didn't get in a big fuss about it is because they were the cheapest copies I could find.

nZiFFLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nZiFFLe
Member since 2009 • 1481 Posts

the eb i go 2 sells their games sealed.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

This has happened to me multiple times. I've been in a hurry, ran into the local gamestop to pick up a game, tell the employee at the desk what I want, then check it out while I'm at work, and the damn thing is open with a sicker on the side. Once a game is open, then it's used. There's no way around it. I can't open a game, then return it, so they shouldn't be able to open a game and sell it as "new". It's a complete scam.

kidonre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kidonre

the eb i go 2 sells their games sealed.

nZiFFLe
we know, not all there games are sold open, but a hefty portion are.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
This happened to me once too. When I bought MGS3: Subsistence apparently it was a display model or something and the case was opened and the discs were removed. They didn't mention it to me and as I always do with Gamestop, I checked the game out when I got to my car. To my surprise it wasn't sealed, and they slapped an ugly ass sticker right on the case which just pissed me off right away. Then I looked at the discs, and the main game disc had what appeared to be glue (kinda like the rubber-ish glue that holds a credit card on the paper when you first get it in the mail) on the reading side of the disc. I walked right back in and demanded an actual NEW game. They said they were just trying to get rid of display models and didn't know it mattered. Ha! Yeah, when I pay $50 for a game it doesn't matter to me whether some dude already opened it and screwed the discs up. Surprisingly they did have a sealed copy behind the counter...most likely they wanted me to have the display copy so they could have the new one at the end of the day...
CrossFire245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 CrossFire245
Member since 2007 • 1085 Posts

Good thing I choose Best Buy >>>Gamestop.

druggyjoe3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 druggyjoe3000
Member since 2006 • 1523 Posts

I hope they get in trouble though i dont buy from gamestop

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
I bought a new DS game (brain age 2) to only find out that there were 2 saved games already on it! It really ticked me off. That is why I refuse to buy any new games there that aren't newer released games.
desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 desyple
Member since 2008 • 1725 Posts

gamestop is by far hte worst place to go to get games if youre looking for a good deal or a fair deal especially when trading in games. but unfortunately they are the only ones to go to that actually havea good selection because they have a monopoly over selling games, at least face to face selling because u can buy over hte internet but its more convenient going to a store.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#28 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

ya it happened to me 3 x already or more, but 2 discs were new not scratched or anything so i didnt mind it but when i got dead rising it had a fine scratch near the center, , that was dead rising ctyd ,, and another scam they pull is with the used games

they claim they work and are 100 percent tested to , ok so if they were tested in theory you shouldnt recieve a cracked copy right? wrong, i have recieve a cracked copy of gta iv the idiot behind the counter knowingly saw the crack he just gave it to me i said look at that , are they blind or somthing ,

i demanded another copy,, the idiot puts the cracked one back under the counter

TheBigBadGRIM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 TheBigBadGRIM
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts

[QUOTE="kidonre"]My freind was to stupid to realize gthat the used game he bought... could be bought at target across the street brand new for just $5 more The used game he bought from GS had: no instruction, no case, lots of scratches, and cum stains on the back.zarshack

i lol'd

LMAO, I know.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i think it all depends on where u go. i think gamestop should stop selling used games. it is a rip off to the person that is trading in the games and the person who bought the game used. i never buy my games used unless i have to.

another thing that i hate about gamestop is the employees. sometimes the people that work there don't know anything about video games. u should know something about playing, if u work at a video game store. they always ask if u want to pre order something. i went to game stop to buy i think a xbox live card. the guy there said do u want to preorder something? i said no, i'm good. the kept on asking and saying u get this and that if u pre order today. i think i would say i want to pre order something if i wanted a game on the date.
river_rat3117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 river_rat3117
Member since 2003 • 3474 Posts
as an ex gamestop employee i can confirm this. if they get a new game in as long as the is more than 1 copy of it you can take it home to play it like 3-4 days and then sell it as new as soon as you bring it back. lol i only worked there 2 night before quiting (crappiest place to ever work) plus im more of a factory worker.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-309515.aspx Kotaku writes: "The alleged practice of GameStop lending new copies of games to employees at their stores and then later selling those games as new, unused copies, may be a violation of federal law. GameStop's "check-out" policy, confirmed to Kotaku by a number of the chain's managers and employees, could fall under scrutiny of the Federal Trade Commission." ------- GS, EB games, or game crazy will all constantly try to rip gamers off, if you don't reserve a game and try to buy on launch day despite having more than enough copies, they will make you pay $10 for an edge card or GS card in order to get the game. you buy a $60 game and come back the next week and will only give a petty $30 for it, and then turn around and sell it for $55 used to gamer who thought he/she was getting a "good dead" but was too stupid to realize they could just get it brand new for just $5 more and also support the devs. they will even have the balls to put out opened games slapped with "NEW" sticker and charge it for full price hell even gamestop employee will come right out nowadays and tell you how bad it is working there, there told to lie and do what ever it takes to get the customers money lol at you if you really think GS,EB, or gamecrazy care about gamerskidonre

this said nothing about gamecrazy i worked at both gamecrazy employees can only rent games from hollywood videos, games already intended to be rented, employees there were not allowed, and from my time there, were fired when they opened a new game just to play it in store, but they could play used games in store

gamestop, yes we did rent out new games to employees, it had to be one of the opened floor copies and not one of the sealed copies

Dr_Snood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dr_Snood
Member since 2008 • 2547 Posts
i think it all depends on where u go. i think gamestop should stop selling used games. it is a rip off to the person that is trading in the games and the person who bought the game used. i never buy my games used unless i have to.

another thing that i hate about gamestop is the employees. sometimes the people that work there don't know anything about video games. u should know something about playing, if u work at a video game store. they always ask if u want to pre order something. i went to game stop to buy i think a xbox live card. the guy there said do u want to preorder something? i said no, i'm good. the kept on asking and saying u get this and that if u pre order today. i think i would say i want to pre order something if i wanted a game on the date. iam2green
Gamestop employees are hammered each and every day to sell as many Edge cards, game informers, and pre-orders as they can.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

as an ex gamestop employee i can confirm this. if they get a new game in as long as the is more than 1 copy of it you can take it home to play it like 3-4 days and then sell it as new as soon as you bring it back. lol i only worked there 2 night before quiting (crappiest place to ever work) plus im more of a factory worker.river_rat3117

I used to manage a store in PA 2 years ago. Oh god, it was such an awful experience. Luckily, I was able to get a better job and escape that hellhole. And yup, we allowed our employees to take games home. I didn't agree with the policy, but I didn't want to hear from the DM.

desyple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 desyple
Member since 2008 • 1725 Posts

[QUOTE="kidonre"]http://n4g.com/industrynews/News-309515.aspx Kotaku writes: "The alleged practice of GameStop lending new copies of games to employees at their stores and then later selling those games as new, unused copies, may be a violation of federal law. GameStop's "check-out" policy, confirmed to Kotaku by a number of the chain's managers and employees, could fall under scrutiny of the Federal Trade Commission." ------- GS, EB games, or game crazy will all constantly try to rip gamers off, if you don't reserve a game and try to buy on launch day despite having more than enough copies, they will make you pay $10 for an edge card or GS card in order to get the game. you buy a $60 game and come back the next week and will only give a petty $30 for it, and then turn around and sell it for $55 used to gamer who thought he/she was getting a "good dead" but was too stupid to realize they could just get it brand new for just $5 more and also support the devs. they will even have the balls to put out opened games slapped with "NEW" sticker and charge it for full price hell even gamestop employee will come right out nowadays and tell you how bad it is working there, there told to lie and do what ever it takes to get the customers money lol at you if you really think GS,EB, or gamecrazy care about gamersdarth-pyschosis

this said nothing about gamecrazy i worked at both gamecrazy employees can only rent games from hollywood videos, games already intended to be rented, employees there were not allowed, and from my time there, were fired when they opened a new game just to play it in store, but they could play used games in store

gamestop, yes we did rent out new games to employees, it had to be one of the opened floor copies and not one of the sealed copies

lol at ur sig
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

My biggest beef is buyback for $30 sell for $55

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

[QUOTE="kidonre"]My freind was to stupid to realize gthat the used game he bought... could be bought at target across the street brand new for just $5 more The used game he bought from GS had: no instruction, no case, lots of scratches, and cum stains on the back.kidonre

That is your friend's problem. Anyone whoreceiveda case/game in such condition would look for a different one or buy a new copy. Also just ask for a sealed copy of the game at the counter.

when you ask for game "A" they always bring you a used copy without even asking you if you want a new one or not

Then you hand the box back and insist, "Sealed copy or no sale."
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HuusAsking

Animal-Mother
That seems a bit generous for buybacks. Most buyback places, large or small, use 50% as the buyback rate. Since it's pretty much the standard, you have no choice: either accept the rate or take your chances selling it yourself.
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

I have a pretty cool Gamestop near me. The people know what they are talking about, are nice, and overall pretty cool. They also saved me alittle bit of a head ache in going back, by checking to see if one PC game I picked up has the full code on it, and when it was missinga number the person got me a new code.

Although from all the stuff I hear that is a pretty rare case.

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts

Bioshock (PS3) at Game.co.uk

£24.99 - New

£22.99 - Preowned

Bioshock (PS3) at Amazon.co.uk

£19.49 - New

Bioshock (PS3) at Play.com

£17.99 - New

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

the only new games i buy from there are properly sealed and everything :S

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#42 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"]

HuusAsking
That seems a bit generous for buybacks. Most buyback places, large or small, use 50% as the buyback rate. Since it's pretty much the standard, you have no choice: either accept the rate or take your chances selling it yourself.

You can sell it easly on craigs list for 10 dollars cheaper, I started doing when I realized how bad I was being ripped off
The_Game21x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#43 The_Game21x
Member since 2005 • 26440 Posts

Yep, they've been doing that for years. I saw some of it first hand in my time working there.

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GabeNewellsPie
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

I haven't bought a game from Gamestop for almost 2 years.The last time was when my "new" copy of Forza 2 had a big scratch across the disk and the manual had a weird brown stain on it. :?

Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Hexagon_777

I have never bought used games from the places described. I have never bought used games at all, actually. When the money saved from buying a used copy is so little, and the negative aspects of buying a used copy so great, there's no plausible reason to do so.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HuusAsking

I have never bought used games from the places described. I have never bought used games at all, actually. When the money saved from buying a used copy is so little, and the negative aspects of buying a used copy so great, there's no plausible reason to do so.

Hexagon_777
So what if you're buying from places where the price difference is significant and your used games come with warranties?
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Hexagon_777"]

HuusAsking

So what if you're buying from places where the price difference is significant and your used games come with warranties?

I would reconsider. It still wouldn't be as satisfying as buying a fancy, new copy, however. I have only heard of horror stories from fellow gamers regarding places such as GameStop, though, so I doubt I'll find the places you describe.

tirralirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tirralirra
Member since 2009 • 2261 Posts
game>>>>>>>>gamestopTwinbladez90210
lol British Power. Nah, its all about Play.com
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Hexagon_777

[QUOTE="Twinbladez90210"]game>>>>>>>>gamestoptirralirra
lol British Power. Nah, its all about Play.com

Quite true. Take a look:

Bioshock (PS3) at Game.co.uk

£24.99 - New

£22.99 - Preowned

Bioshock (PS3) at Amazon.co.uk

£19.49 - New

Bioshock (PS3) at Play.com

£17.99 - New

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

It's why I no longer shop there. I hate having to explain to someone the difference between new and used.But they only get away with it if you let them.