• 62 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Gamespot: New 3DS XL Is The Best Handheld Nintendo Has Ever Made (57 votes)

I will (eventually) buy a New 3DS XL 63%
I will never buy a 3DS XL 37%

Like the oddly difficult back panel, the lack of an AC adapter isn't damning and shouldn't deter you from considering a New 3DS XL. With the extra controls, improved 3D, and a faster CPU, it's the most impressive 3DS to date. If you've been playing on a 3DS for years, the overall difference when you pick up a New 3DS XL is immediately apparent. After a week with the new system, I can't imagine going back.

Anyone who's picking up a 3DS for the first time should skip the other options and go right for a New 3DS or New 3DS XL, depending on what's available in their region. Picking up any other version is essentially setting yourself up for disappointment down the road when exclusive games start rolling out. If you care about Amiibo support, the choice is even easier. Existing 3DS owners should also consider an upgrade, if not now, perhaps when they're motivated by a certain game down the road. That said, if you spend a lot of time with your 3DS, but want a better experience overall, you won't be disappointed if you rush out on Feb. 13 to pick up the best handheld Nintendo's ever made.

SOURCE

The New 3DS/XL sounds like it is the realization of Nintendo's handheld vision- I am definitely planning on picking one up soon (possibly in April, for Xenoblade) (especially since my current 3DS is a launch day original model- it's really high time for an upgrade).

I hope the lessons Nintendo has learned from the New 3DS carry on over to their new handheld as well.

• 
Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1120 Posts

I have a 3ds XL and love it, but will never pick up the new verison. I could just get a Vita instead with a backlog of ps+ games to play ready to go and access to more unique games than I would from the small gap between a regular 3ds and a new one.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Damn. Who'd have thought handhelds are worse than PC's in terms of upgrade requirements? Yeesh. I'm glad I haven't bought any Nintendo handhelds lately...I feel sorry for the other guys lol. Need to buy a new 3ds for a processor upgrade? I haven't upgrade my i7 in over 5 years...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

Damn. Who'd have thought handhelds are worse than PC's in terms of upgrade requirements? Yeesh. I'm glad I haven't bought any Nintendo handhelds lately...I feel sorry for the other guys lol. Need to buy a new 3ds for a processor upgrade? I haven't upgrade my i7 in over 5 years...

The 3DS is four years old at this point, that already gives it a longer life cycle than full generational handhelds like Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

At this rate, the next Nintendo handheld may be as powerful as an iPhone 4!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@princeofshapeir said:

You mean the midlife NEW version of it.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 KHAndAnime

@charizard1605 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The 3DS is four years old at this point, that already gives it a longer life cycle than full generational handhelds like Gameboy Color and Gameboy Advance.

The DS lasted longer I think. New consoles should last longer. When all the games looks how they do, I'm not really seeing the justification to buy a whole new friggin handheld. They aren't exactly pushing anything in terms of graphics. Just seems weak to me. There's no way I could fit handhelds into my life all the time, I don't like the idea of using it a brief amount of time before having to upgrade.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@charizard1605 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The DS lasted longer I think. New consoles should last longer. When all the games looks how they do, I'm not really seeing the justification to buy a whole new friggin handheld. They aren't exactly pushing anything in terms of graphics. Just seems weak to me. There's no way I could fit handhelds into my life all the time, I don't like the idea of using it a brief amount of time before having to upgrade.

The DS came out in 2004, the Lite was 2006, and the DSi came in 2008.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@KHAndAnime said:

@charizard1605 said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The DS was followed by DSi in 2009, five years after release, so it was a one year difference. The PSP came out in 2005 and was followed by PSP Go in 2009, a four year difference, so it is not like this is exclusive to Nintendo either.

You don't have to buy a new friggin handheld, your current 3DS works just fine, and will play most of the games. Will it have the benefits of the second stick or the extra shoulder buttons or the stable 3D, no, but if it lacking all of that haven't been an issue for you so far, then why are they an issue now? Nothing changes- either the 3DS as it exists right now (the older models, I mean) bothers you, or it does not. If it does not, great! Stick to your current handheld and enjoy it. If it does, all that has changed is that you now have the option to upgrade to a model that fixes all those errors, just the option. And if you don't think the upgrade is worth it, you can continue with your current model which will play all existing and upcoming 3DS games (except for one) just fine.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#9 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Great to hear that it's a solid console. But until more games that I desperately want to play come out exclusively for it or if my current 3DS XL goes kaput, I'll hold out on buying one.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 KHAndAnime

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The DS could play those titles, no? Not necessarily the same case here.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

My launch 3DS works fine, but I do want one for bigger screen and c-stick. And Pokemon.

Not necessarily interested in Xenoblade though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@KHAndAnime said:

@lostrib said:

@KHAndAnime said:

The DS could play those titles, no? Not necessarily the same case here.

Nope, there were DSi exclusive games.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

I'll wait for a limited edition that hopefully is not undershipped because those ones are ugly.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19582 Posts

Well duh. It's easily the best iteration of the 3DS, which makes it a great contender for best handheld gaming system.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's the best Nintendo handheld Bestbuy still hasn't shipped out to its customers.

**** you, Bestbuy.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I should be receiving it today. I can't really comment until holding the device. I have heard the toy-vs-tech device in regards to the regular size vs xl size, so I'm not so bummed out about that.

Bought a nice 32gig card for it......noooowwwww, does that go in immediately or later, lol.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Until the next one. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

I am concerned that this model won't be the final 3DS we see or that nintendo has a new hand held just around the corner

VERY concerned about purchasing one of these at this point in time

what if they made NEW 3DS Mini or something that makes this look bad i would be ashamed of myself

or if they make some new handheld and have new games only coming out on that an this version is useless for the new games or something

facts are people don't love the amiibos, i don't like using toys with my consoels or hand helds and i got the kinectless xb1 even i just don't like toys i don't like eyes i don't like stuff like that

so if you hate amiibos and you already played xenoblade chronicles on wii or whatever the system has zero exclusives and none that i know about coming

the design of it not a fan of the 80's laptop thumb nub it looks awful to be alive in this gen and i thought that died years ago people are using touch now not nubs like that they died with the psp i think i duno why there back maybe gamespot can tell us since they says its "best handheld of all time" why dont they tell us why its great oh prolly a paid review to hype this to nintendo fans

anyway its not the best people didn't love the 3d, the 3d worked fine on original 3ds and ppl still turned it off even if it works its annoying imo

its way too big will not fit in average jean pockets you would have to carry around a purse or a backpack to bring it on the go since it won't fit in a pocket at XL size in usa jeans

no this isn't the best imo

mohit9206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mohit9206
Member since 2012 • 72 Posts

Pretty sure that's what they say about every new iPhone too.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@ProtossRushX said:

I am concerned that this model won't be the final 3DS we see or that nintendo has a new hand held just around the corner

VERY concerned about purchasing one of these at this point in time

what if they made NEW 3DS Mini or something that makes this look bad i would be ashamed of myself

or if they make some new handheld and have new games only coming out on that an this version is useless for the new games or something

facts are people don't love the amiibos, i don't like using toys with my consoels or hand helds and i got the kinectless xb1 even i just don't like toys i don't like eyes i don't like stuff like that

so if you hate amiibos and you already played xenoblade chronicles on wii or whatever the system has zero exclusives and none that i know about coming

the design of it not a fan of the 80's laptop thumb nub it looks awful to be alive in this gen and i thought that died years ago people are using touch now not nubs like that they died with the psp i think i duno why there back maybe gamespot can tell us since they says its "best handheld of all time" why dont they tell us why its great oh prolly a paid review to hype this to nintendo fans

anyway its not the best people didn't love the 3d, the 3d worked fine on original 3ds and ppl still turned it off even if it works its annoying imo

its way too big will not fit in average jean pockets you would have to carry around a purse or a backpack to bring it on the go since it won't fit in a pocket at XL size in usa jeans

no this isn't the best imo

There likely won't be a "mini". First, there are two sizes of this one in most territories. Second, with the amount of buttons there simply isn't enough room for cutting size down--mostly due to the nub. I'm sure it might be possible but itd be very cramped. Nintendo ought to get rid of the dual screen setup for the next handheld.

All the reviews are saying that the nub is surprisingly responsive. Most people had the same first impression as you did.

I haven't been able to really pocket a handheld since the Gameboy Pocket. They've always been too big or designed in such a way where youd feel like breaking the thing. Well, the only one would be the Micro but I bought that more recently.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34645 Posts

I've got a Majoras Mask special edition 3DS coming soon..

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22726 Posts

I've got two 3ds's and nobody touches them in my house :/ gonna have to pass.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#23 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

In the expected "Oh it's stronger!" category, sure, this would be expected.

But the build quality? Nah, DSi XL is.

In screen quality? Well the New 3DS XL still has fewer pixels per inch than the GameBoy Advance. So nope.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Have a 3DS xl, Xenoblade is meant to be played on a TV and I dont use the 3D effect so I literally have no use for this new version.

Happy they addressed the camera stick complaint though, even though I personally never had a problem with the games I have that were clearly designed to work perfectly with one.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@Blabadon said:

In screen quality? Well the New 3DS XL still has fewer pixels per inch than the GameBoy Advance. So nope.

The dsixl felt cheap. The original 3DS has a decent build--I question the design but the actual build of the unit is quite good. Nintendo took a step down with the 3dsxl. From what I hear the "new"3dsxl is more in line with the original, material wise.

Pixels per inch dictate screen quality? I've got the original sp, a backlit sp, and a micro. None of these compare to the 3ds screen.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

Again, in terms of console quality, which this is about, it's still miles away from the Vita :P Shame about the software differences and all that, but as far as the hardware is concerned Sony "won" (and I use the term loosely :P) without much resistance.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#27 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14417 Posts

Don't see the need to upgrade right now.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

At the same time it is a huge disrespect to all current 3DS owners, a "who cares if every one of you 'early' adopters can play new 3DS games" kind of thing that wont go unoticed.

It is not like everyone can afford getting the same system with slightly better specs every few years, to play games that should be playable in the system he got the first day 3DS was out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@loosingENDS said:

At the same time it is a huge disrespect to all current 3DS owners, a "who cares if every one of you 'early' adopters can play new 3DS games" kind of thing that wont go unoticed.

It is not like everyone can afford getting the same system with slightly better specs every few years, to play games that should be playable in the system he got the first day 3DS was out.

I can understand this somewhat. People bring up the dsi in defense, but that system didn't receive any notable releases like Xenoblade--games people may actually want. On the other hand, people have been asking for a remodel for quite some time. People wanted the analog stick. It is as if this version was designed to rectify the complaints people had with the other models. So they threw in a better processor? Shouldn't that be considered a bonus? It looks to greatly speed up overall system performance.

...I also think that the processor may have been put in their in an effort to unify the eshop somewhat. IF nintendo ever does N64(wtf, i know?) they could release titles across wiiu and 3ds.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

@princeofshapeir said:

I was laughing at first... but hell you may be right about that.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Picking up any other version is essentially setting yourself up for disappointment down the road when exclusive games start rolling out.

Somehow I doubt nintendo would be stupid enough to alienate the high majority of non new 3ds owners out there. Also going by looks it seems pretty much the same just with the extra stick which is nice but not enough to throw an extra 100+ bucks for it. Ill just stick to my 3dsxl thank you.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

@Heirren said:

@loosingENDS said:

I can understand this somewhat. People bring up the dsi in defense, but that system didn't receive any notable releases like Xenoblade--games people may actually want. On the other hand, people have been asking for a remodel for quite some time. People wanted the analog stick. It is as if this version was designed to rectify the complaints people had with the other models. So they threw in a better processor? Shouldn't that be considered a bonus? It looks to greatly speed up overall system performance.

...I also think that the processor may have been put in their in an effort to unify the eshop somewhat. IF nintendo ever does N64(wtf, i know?) they could release titles across wiiu and 3ds.

yea but wouldint it been smarter to just save a big remodle for their next big handheld and not a .5 version.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

I don´t know if it´s best, all I know is that I won´t need to worry about trying to find the sweet spot to view at all times the game in 3D, something that was a little bit difficult with the previous system, with that and those extra buttons we can expect more and different games that won´t be playable in the other ones. Mine should be arriving in a few days.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Zassimick said:

Great to hear that it's a solid console. But until more games that I desperately want to play come out exclusively for it or if my current 3DS XL goes kaput, I'll hold out on buying one.

Resistance is futile

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@charizard1605: PSPGo wasn't the same situation at all. If anything, it played fewer titles than the original, and nothing exclusive.

As far as the new 3DS, I'm on the fence. I Still haven't ever nabbed a 3DS, and it's library certainly is deserving of a purchase, but I also Still haven't played my way through all the DS classics I have or intend to grab (added another two games to the backlog since New Year's...). When you add my overall satisfaction with my DSLite (the GOAT) to my suspicion we'll see the next round of Nintendo hardware next year, Nintendo's generally excellent track record with BC in their handhelds, and my hatred of mid-cycle spec fragmentation of a platform, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger. Of course, I can't rule out an impulse buy pickup, because it's Is a fine system, and I like shiny new things.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@santoron said:

@charizard1605: PSPGo wasn't the same situation at all. If anything, it played fewer titles than the original, and nothing exclusive.

As far as the new 3DS, I'm on the fence. I Still haven't ever nabbed a 3DS, and it's library certainly is deserving of a purchase, but I also Still haven't played my way through all the DS classics I have or intend to grab (added another two games to the backlog since New Year's...). When you add my overall satisfaction with my DSLite (the GOAT) to my suspicion we'll see the next round of Nintendo hardware next year, Nintendo's generally excellent track record with BC in their handhelds, and my hatred of mid-cycle spec fragmentation of a platform, I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger. Of course, I can't rule out an impulse buy pickup, because it's Is a fine system, and I like shiny new things.

The DSLite is really a fine piece, I like mine a lot, love the fact of being able to play games of two systems ( DS and GB Advance ), for me the DSi was a bummer, I didn´t jump on another Nintendo handheld until the 3DS XL appeared.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Going from XL to "New" 3DS XL is not worth it to me. I'll just wait for the next nintendo handheld.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@Blabadon said:

the new xl has better colors and a clearer screen than the old xl...

vita's screen is cheaper than the new 3ds xl screen.

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

I'm hoping to find one this weekend for the new monster hunter and maybe majoras mask

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Game Boy Advance looks at New 3DS and takes a fat shit on it.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KBFloYd

@Telekill said:

Game Boy Advance looks at New 3DS and takes a fat shit on it.

lol..sure

yea and the vita is already flushed and floating in the ocean.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I have all my first handhelds and that probably won't stop now. Never needed to "upgrade" on the same type of handheld unless my first handheld was an upgrade as is. I honestly don't see the point if the handheld is good enough to begin with.

Now that c nub may be useful and might make that new mh tolerable, but its not worth a new handheld for convenience on a few games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Telekill

@KBFloYd: GBA shits on the Vita as well.

Vita is the absolute worst PlayStation to hold the name. It proved that the technology doesn't mean jack if the system isn't supported. Anyone who bought a system based on Sony's initial vision of the handheld should be pissed at Sony for what it's become.

So yes, as the Vita is basically dead in my eyes, that piece of shit was flushed when Sony announced it stopped supporting it.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

I probably just wait and see what games will come exclusively to it, and probably get it used or such (maybe refurbished from nintendo heh).

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KBFloYd

@Telekill said:

@KBFloYd: GBA shits on the Vita as well.

Vita is the absolute worst PlayStation to hold the name. It proved that the technology doesn't mean jack if the system isn't supported. Anyone who bought a system based on Sony's initial vision of the handheld should be pissed at Sony for what it's become.

So yes, as the Vita is basically dead in my eyes, that piece of shit was flushed when Sony announced it stopped supporting it.

i smell bullshit... why dont you sell your vita then.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

I usually wouldn't look twice at something like this but the release comes at a nearly perfect time. I've had my 3DS since launch and treated it very poorly. I've been considering getting a new one for some time and just am now aware of this "new" iteration so I suppose I'll be picking up a bundle of some sorts during this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@santoron said:

Oh, I agree, my point was just with intended mid cycle hardware refreshes when I brought up the PSP Go, that's all.

As for you getting the 3DS, yeah, definitely if you get the chance, I think you should go for it, it's a neat handheld. While the issues you raise with the New 3DS are very real issues (such as fragmentation) there is also the fact that they won't apply to you since you will be a new entrant into the ecosystem haha. But yes, do get it! Loads of shit to play by now, with more coming up soon.

@KBFloYd said:

i smell bullshit... why dont you sell your vita then.

Why should he sell it? Why not keep it in case he does want to play it some time, either for whatever games on it he might already enjoy, or for future games that might be announced for it? Why do you keep taking people to task for how they spend their money, or what products they prefer? Why do you, in other words, take all of this so seriously? It's just video games, chill, relaxed. You are literally getting worked up over glorified toys, think about that. Kids do that, on the playground. You're not a kid, so why are you doing that?

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Actually if they release the smaller one I might bite. I like the screen of the XL but I prefer the pocketability of the normal 3DS.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Telekill

@KBFloYd: I'm keeping it for Golden Abyss and as a PS4 accessory.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

Going from 3DS XL to "New" 3DS XL is not worth it.I don't see any reason to buy the same console.....again.