GameSpot calls Nintendo arrogant

• 157 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6171385.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;3

"The Wii's impressive start has made Nintendo confident--cocky, even--about the console's long-term viability."

I like how Gamespot added 2 dashes b4 and 2 dashes after the word --cocky-- to emphasize their point.  I don't remember Gamespot embedding their own personal input on PS3 and Xbox 360.  Adding that little touch makes me think that Gamespot is truly questioning the long-term viability of Wii.  I am too...to a point.  PS2 sold around 47.68 million in the U.S. 

http://vgchartz.com/worldcons.php

Why is it so inconceivably ridiculous to think Wii could sell 35 million?   And why is GameSpot taking small jabs like this?  Yes, it was just an observation.  Yes, George Harrison might have indeed sounded "cocky".  But adding the word "cocky" to a news article is still just an observed opinion by GameSpot.  Factual gaming information is fine...random statements about the manner and deameanor of a videogame company seems unprofessional and is just an opinion. 

If I made a random post saying "Nintendo is cocky" I would get flamed.  GameSpot did this in a news article in a more subtle way. 

Am I making too big a deal outta this?  Perhaps.  But if GameSpot is going to use certain words to imbed in their news articles as their own personal opinions, then that just seems wrong.  State the facts in news articles GameSpot.  Not any personal opinions.  If people want opinions and jabs at gaming companies, then they will go to system wars. 

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
Yeah it is kind of a mute point to call one company cocky when all the companies are equally cocky. Sounds like they were trying to be critical and just didn't work out as planned...
MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts
ur making a big deal out of this. There's always some bias in any type of news.
-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 -DarthVader-
Member since 2003 • 12590 Posts

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Gamespot management seems to be chocked full of hermits and lemmings, even a few cows for good measure.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AvIdGaMeR444

Yeah it is kind of a mute point to call one company cocky when all the companies are equally cocky. Sounds like they were trying to be critical and just didn't work out as planned...iunderstand

IMO Sony was the most arrogant for awhile...but I still wouldn't want to see the word "cocky" in a GameSpot news article even if the staff felt that way.  It is just unprofessional and tacky IMO. 

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years.   Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05?   How'd that turn out?
Silent_Bob32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Silent_Bob32
Member since 2004 • 643 Posts

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...-DarthVader-

Meaning?

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 iunderstand

Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?SergeantSnitch

So a company being optimistic about their flagship product is being cocky now?

-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -DarthVader-
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...Silent_Bob32

Meaning?

Have you ever read EGM lately?

axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 axt113
Member since 2007 • 2777 Posts

Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years.   Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05?   How'd that turn out?SergeantSnitch

7.31 million wii's in under 7 months  

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts
You know they cannot say anything bad about the 360.
cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#13 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts
I guess this proves gamespots bias toward nintendo, i mean i never heard them say anything negative about the other companies.
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SergeantSnitch

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?iunderstand

When Sony is being optimistic about their flagship product the internet explodes and it's considered being cocky.  Yes, it is.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AvIdGaMeR444

ur making a big deal out of this. There's always some bias in any type of news. MADVLAD123

GameSpot took the time to really emphasize --cocky-- ....the words weren't necessary.  GameSpot shouldn't have even used the word "confident".  GameSpot could have easily just said "Nintendo predicts 35 million Wiis in U.S. by 2012" in the article....instead of "Nintendo seems confident, --cocky-- even".  It just seemed weirdly worded and completely out of character.  I read GameSpot news everyday on here.  I don't remember them doing this with 360 and PS3...and I wouldn't want them to for any console, because it is a random observation made to take a slight jab at the company. 

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SergeantSnitch

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?axt113

7.31 million wii's in under 7 months

Grand Theft Auto IV, Halo 3, FFXIII, MGS4, Mass Effect all in under 8 months.
billyea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 billyea
Member since 2005 • 6153 Posts
[QUOTE="iunderstand"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?SergeantSnitch

When Sony is being optimistic about their flagship product the internet explodes and it's considered being cocky. Yes, it is.

They aren't selling 7 million units. You can talk all you want and few will listen when the cash is not in your hands. 

TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
Gamespot is slowly getting worse and worse each day. Their reviews are very poor, their news is always considerably late, and their videos/screens have terrible quality.
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SergeantSnitch

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]ur making a big deal out of this. There's always some bias in any type of news. AvIdGaMeR444

GameSpot took the time to really emphasize --cocky-- ....the words weren't necessary. GameSpot shouldn't have even used the word "confident". GameSpot could have easily just said "Nintendo predicts 35 million Wiis in U.S. by 2012" in the article....instead of "Nintendo seems confident, --cocky-- even". It just seemed weirdly worded and completely out of character. I read GameSpot news everyday on here. I don't remember them doing this with 360 and PS3...and I wouldn't want them to for any console, because it is a random observation made to take a slight jab at the company.

Oh please...All day long Gamespot takes jabs at Sony (try reading the "Graphical comparison" article).  You're getting mad at ONE word?  SW makes me want to pull my hair out.
h0wtehnub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 h0wtehnub
Member since 2006 • 730 Posts
[QUOTE="Silent_Bob32"][QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...-DarthVader-

Meaning?

You've read EGM lately? 

-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 -DarthVader-
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"][QUOTE="Silent_Bob32"][QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...h0wtehnub

Meaning?

You've read EGM lately?

At my local drug store yes...horrible magazine. 

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

[QUOTE="iunderstand"]Yeah it is kind of a mute point to call one company cocky when all the companies are equally cocky. Sounds like they were trying to be critical and just didn't work out as planned...AvIdGaMeR444

IMO Sony was the most arrogant for awhile...but I still wouldn't want to see the word "cocky" in a GameSpot news article even if the staff felt that way. It is just unprofessional and tacky IMO.

You expect quality from game 'media'? Nah, it would be far too much trouble to engage in serious editorial discussion concerning the scope or impact of Mr. Harrison's projections - just thow the word 'cocky' in there to disguise the fact that we're regurgitating PR.

The fact that NOA's numbers guy is sending out PR this optimistic is a statement intended for third party publishers - publish on Wii or get left behind in North America.

I'd rather Nintendo act confidently and capitalize on their successes than lose their early advantages through too much conservatism. 

Virus214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Virus214
Member since 2007 • 2052 Posts
[QUOTE="axt113"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?SergeantSnitch

Now THATS cocky... 360 won't get MGS4 

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SergeantSnitch
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="iunderstand"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?billyea

When Sony is being optimistic about their flagship product the internet explodes and it's considered being cocky. Yes, it is.

They aren't selling 7 million units. You can talk all you want and few will listen when the cash is not in your hands.

That's fine...But we'll see how Wii sales hold up.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"][QUOTE="Silent_Bob32"][QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...h0wtehnub

Meaning?

You've read EGM lately?

yes i got it for free.........
iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 iunderstand
[QUOTE="iunderstand"]

When Sony says that people will buy their product even if the console is shipped with no games, that is cocky.  Nintendo is estimating how many consoles they plan to sell in the Wii's lifetime, how is that cocky?

Hyper-Chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hyper-Chicken
Member since 2007 • 1348 Posts

-DarthVader-
Ewww....EGM...*barf*
axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 axt113
[QUOTE="axt113"]

None of those games will make a difference 

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SergeantSnitch
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="axt113"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?Virus214

Didn't say it was... I was talking about PS3/360 games coming out that is going to seriously overshadow the Wii.
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AvIdGaMeR444

Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years.   Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05?   How'd that turn out?SergeantSnitch

I actually agree that Nintendo is being arrogant.  It is my opinion they are.  But in GameSpot news, the staff are supposed to be professional and leave their bias inside themselves...at least I thought so.  Also, why single out Nintendo with all the ridiculous PS3 statements of 4D and 120FPS?  No jabs should be made to any company though by a professional gaming staff. Judgements by GameSpot should be made only in game reviews only.  

If a game has a bad framerate, then GameSpot can point that out.  That is not bias, that is the truth...if the framerate is bad, it is bad.  Saying --cocky-- is an opinion and is usually a derogatory word for "arrogant".  There is no niceness to the word at all.  It is a jab toward Nintendo. 

MADVLAD123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 MADVLAD123
Member since 2005 • 6053 Posts

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]ur making a big deal out of this. There's always some bias in any type of news. AvIdGaMeR444

GameSpot took the time to really emphasize --cocky-- ....the words weren't necessary.  GameSpot shouldn't have even used the word "confident".  GameSpot could have easily just said "Nintendo predicts 35 million Wiis in U.S. by 2012" in the article....instead of "Nintendo seems confident, --cocky-- even".  It just seemed weirdly worded and completely out of character.  I read GameSpot news everyday on here.  I don't remember them doing this with 360 and PS3...and I wouldn't want them to for any console, because it is a random observation made to take a slight jab at the company. 

Well it was only an interjection to show that maybe Nintendo MAY be getting a bit too confident. They most likely meant they wanted Nintendo to continue their good work and not to slack off due to their success.

They weren't necessarily saying Nintendo was downright "cocky". They just wanted to say that Nintendo is doing good, but cannot be too sure of themselves and think they had won the console war yet.

SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SergeantSnitch
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="iunderstand"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?iunderstand

When Sony says that people will buy their product even if the console is shipped with no games, that is cocky. Nintendo is estimating how many consoles they plan to sell in the Wii's lifetime, how is that cocky?

Because that number is completely absurd.  That's like Microsoft saying it wants a billion people to play the 360.  No console has EVER sold 35 million units in the US in 5 years time.  Nintendo also said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by 2005.
axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 axt113
[QUOTE="Virus214"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="axt113"]

Didn't say it was... I was talking about PS3/360 games coming out that is going to seriously overshadow the Wii.

I don't think you've got a very strong grip on the facts, those games only appeal to a select group 

axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 axt113
[QUOTE="iunderstand"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="iunderstand"]

When Sony says that people will buy their product even if the console is shipped with no games, that is cocky. Nintendo is estimating how many consoles they plan to sell in the Wii's lifetime, how is that cocky?

Because that number is completely absurd.  That's like Microsoft saying it wants a billion people to play the 360.  No console has EVER sold 35 million units in the US in 5 years time.  Nintendo also said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by 2005.

PS2 sold over 38 million in the US, and GCN was never as popular as the Wii
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

-DarthVader-
I thought EMG favoured the sheep?
-DarthVader-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -DarthVader-
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

htekemerald

I thought EMG favoured the sheep?

And because i have mario in my sig i am a sheep? nope...

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 iunderstand

Because that number is completely absurd. That's like Microsoft saying it wants a billion people to play the 360. No console has EVER sold 35 million units in the US in 5 years time. Nintendo also said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by 2005.
SergeantSnitch

Well Nintendo was arrogant during N64 early GC, and look at what happened. This is just an optimistic forecast based on the console's popularity. It's good hor a company to have ambitious goals, it's not so great when they pretend that they can ship trash and expect the consumer to buy it just because their brand name is on it. 

t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
Meh, the only reason I'm here is for SW. Could care less about how tacky a news artical from GS is.
JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?AvIdGaMeR444

I actually agree that Nintendo is being arrogant. It is my opinion they are. But in GameSpot news, the staff are supposed to be professional and leave their bias inside themselves...at least I thought so. Also, why single out Nintendo with all the ridiculous PS3 statements of 4D and 120FPS? No jabs should be made to any company though by a professional gaming staff. Judgements by GameSpot should be made only in game reviews only.

If a game has a bad framerate, then GameSpot can point that out. That is not bias, that is the truth...if the framerate is bad, it is bad. Saying --cocky-- is an opinion and is usually a derogatory word for "arrogant". There is no niceness to the word at all. It is a jab toward Nintendo.

exactly

what a NON-BIASED news source is supposed to do during a news article is report the facts without giving an opinion

what gamespot did was suggest nintendo was getting cocky - which is not a fact at all, but a rather strong opinion on gamespot's part

and i don't think it was cocky of nintendo to suggest 35 mill wii's would be sold either. fact: nintendo has reached a new market sony/MS has NEVER touched before. fact: nintendo is BY FAR the #1 selling conosle in america for 2007. so why is it cocky of nintendo to believe that the they are going to keep their place in the US market with so much going for them? i think its a realistic projection.

gamespot loses credibility on this one for showing bias to the point where its just not professional at all

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AvIdGaMeR444
[QUOTE="AvIdGaMeR444"]

[QUOTE="MADVLAD123"]ur making a big deal out of this. There's always some bias in any type of news. SergeantSnitch

GameSpot took the time to really emphasize --cocky-- ....the words weren't necessary. GameSpot shouldn't have even used the word "confident". GameSpot could have easily just said "Nintendo predicts 35 million Wiis in U.S. by 2012" in the article....instead of "Nintendo seems confident, --cocky-- even". It just seemed weirdly worded and completely out of character. I read GameSpot news everyday on here. I don't remember them doing this with 360 and PS3...and I wouldn't want them to for any console, because it is a random observation made to take a slight jab at the company.

Oh please...All day long Gamespot takes jabs at Sony (try reading the "Graphical comparison" article).  You're getting mad at ONE word?  SW makes me want to pull my hair out.

Since when does GameSpot take jabs at Sony...IN NEWS ARTICLES??  News!  You know...where facts are supposed to be facts, and personal bias and opinions are not supposed to be stated.  News...

Avatar image for RurouniSaiyajin
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RurouniSaiyajin
Member since 2007 • 4951 Posts
[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="Virus214"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="axt113"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?axt113

I don't think you've got a very strong grip on the facts, those games only appeal to a select group 

GTA? Only appeal to a select group? I do believe you've gone quite mad with Nintendo success mate or is that the reason why the rum is always gone?

axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 axt113
[QUOTE="axt113"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="Virus214"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="axt113"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?RurouniSaiyajin

GTA? Only appeal to a select group? I do believe you've gone quite mad with Nintendo success mate or is that the reason why the rum is always gone?

Every single GTA has sold to the same group, that's why its sales have remained pretty much constant 

JB730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JB730
Member since 2004 • 3375 Posts
[QUOTE="axt113"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="Virus214"][QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"][QUOTE="axt113"]

[QUOTE="SergeantSnitch"]Because it is cocky to say you will sell 35 million consoles in the US in 5 years. Remember when Nintendo said they would sell 50 million Gamecubes by '05? How'd that turn out?RurouniSaiyajin

I don't think you've got a very strong grip on the facts, those games only appeal to a select group

GTA? Only appeal to a select group? I do believe you've gone quite mad with Nintendo success mate or is that the reason why the rum is always gone?

the wii is successful because it has reached market consisting of non-gamers who don't care for games like GTA

therefore GTA shouldn't affect the wii's success - just like it didn't affect the DS' success.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 RurouniSaiyajin

[QUOTE="RurouniSaiyajin"]

axt113

Every single GTA has sold to the same group, that's why its sales have remained pretty much constant 

Well if you are going to put it that way, every franchise only has a select group it sells too.

axt113

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 axt113

[QUOTE="axt113"][QUOTE="RurouniSaiyajin"]

RurouniSaiyajin

Well if you are going to put it that way, every franchise only has a select group it sells too.

To a degree, but Wii has franchises across the board, like Wii sports, Nintendogs, along with the hardcore Zelda and Metroid, PS3 and 360 don't have as much variety

Kook18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Kook18
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts
[QUOTE="-DarthVader-"]

Doesn't suprise me gamespot is becoming the EGM of the internet...Silent_Bob32

Meaning?

its like saying gamespot is about as good as godfather 3
RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RurouniSaiyajin

the wii is successful because it has reached market consisting of non-gamers who don't care for games like GTA

therefore GTA shouldn't affect the wii's success - just like it didn't affect the DS' success.

JB730

That's quite a bit of a leap of faith there mate. I know plenty of non gamer people who care about a Wii and GTA at the same time. Liking the Wii != not liking GTA. And by no means is there any reason to believe that the majority of the Wii's current install base consists of people who don't care about GTA. There really is this misunderstanding that the Wii install base consists mostly of people who don't care about what the other two systems got going on and vice versa.

And there is a difference between the handheld demographic and the home demographic but I don't like straying from topics.

RurouniSaiyajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RurouniSaiyajin
[QUOTE="RurouniSaiyajin"]

[QUOTE="axt113"][QUOTE="RurouniSaiyajin"]

axt113

To a degree, but Wii has franchises across the board, like Wii sports, Nintendogs, along with the hardcore Zelda and Metroid, PS3 and 360 don't have as much variety

Hmmm, I see what you are saying but it's a bit conditionel. As far as genres goes, the PS3/360 take home the prize but as far as delivering a wider variety of casual games, the Wii takes the cake. In this sense, I think PS3/360 are capable of stringing in more people by its offerings in each genre but you are indeed also right to say the Wii is able to bring in more people by its diverse offering to casuals.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#50 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts

Well, Nintendo has gotten pretty arrogant lately. See Nintendo fanboys? It's not just Sony.

I'm not bothered at all though, because I'm pretty sure Wii doesn't have that kind of legs. It's a 5 year old machine in an iPod-wannabe case, so it'd be absolutely ridiculous if Nintendo could pull another 5 years out of the same piece of hardware just by changing controllers.

As I keep saying, Nintendo is getting all their sales up-front, but they're not going to have the same kind of legs that PS2 had. PS2 may have been the weakest of last gen's consoles, but it had enough power where it counted to keep up with GC and Xbox. Wii can't even do high definition or normal mapping, which even the original Xbox could do.

I know it's just wishful thinking for the most part, I really do hope Nintendo won't completely overtake the console industry just by rereleasing their last system with an updated look and a new gimmick. It almost seems like cheating, and I'd like to think it's not going to pay off, because it could seriously eff up the console industry if it does. If consoles start revolving around who can come up with the best gimmicks, I may end up being a PC gamer, which is a thought that I dread (even though I'm gonna be getting a game-worthy laptop soon).