Game patches and updates have given devs the opportunity to be lazy.

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wario_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Wario_Kid
Member since 2007 • 404 Posts

Before patches devs had to release the game with as little problems as possible, as when it was released that was it, no more changes and if it was broken it wouldn't sell so they would need to test it extensively. Now, they can just release patches to cover any bug up. So when most games are released now there are dozens of problems and the devs just let the players test the game instead of doing it theirselves.

genaroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 genaroll
Member since 2010 • 710 Posts
So fixing games are now a problem.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts
So you don't want them to release patches even if the game has a problem?
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Alot of small indie devs have to rely on patches since they don't have the funding or the resources to fix alot of bugs before launch.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

patches are nothing new.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
:lol: Not sure if serious :|
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

so there were no glitches/bug in games before updates and patches... think before you post

Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

So fixing games are now a problem.genaroll

He didn't say that, I got his point actually, look at Bioshock for PS3, they release the game with a lot of glitches and then they release a patch of 300mb!!! that's absurd

shadowcat2576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 shadowcat2576
Member since 2006 • 908 Posts

I agree. It really bothers me when I put in a new game for the first time and have to wait for updates and patches to load. It's not so much about fixing the problem, that's great, but that games would have more polish and care if the option wasn't there for postrelease updates.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Dont worry TC...I have your back. You are right. Gaming now days is a lazy mans job. Throw some new skins on top of an old game, put out some patches, ect...and bingo you have a game. What if we didnt have internet? What about those people that still DONT have internet? What do they do when a game needs fixing or a console needs updated all the time??

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

patches are nothing new.

CaseyWegner
Um, since when could you patch a broken PS1 or PS2 game? Last I checked, if they were broken, they stayed broken.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 HuusAsking

so there were no glitches/bug in games before updates and patches... think before you post

Vinegar_Strokes
At least they were minimized since killer bugs meant no sales which probably meant your firm tanked. Whatever happened to "Getting It Right The First Time"?
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I guess you never played games before they were capable of being patched. Developers were just as lazy back then as they are now in some cases... but now they get a chance to fix mistakes without having to release a new version of the game and make players buy new copies.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

I actually agree. I totally see TC's point... lots more games are being shipped with glitches and bugs now that developers know they can just fix them later.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HuusAsking
So fixing games are now a problem.genaroll
No, games that need to be fixed in the first place are the problem.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HuusAsking

I guess you never played games before they were capable of being patched. Developers were just as lazy back then as they are now in some cases... but now they get a chance to fix mistakes without having to release a new version of the game and make players buy new copies.

foxhound_fox
Such as?
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

patches are nothing new.

HuusAsking

Um, since when could you patch a broken PS1 or PS2 game? Last I checked, if they were broken, they stayed broken.

does pc gaming not exist?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Such as?HuusAsking

Ocarina of Time went through several updates, as well as plenty of other N64 titles. You didn't "need" to buy them, but if you didn't want the glitches, you needed to replace the old copy with the new. Now we have the benefit of patches downloaded directly to the console, negating the need for a new copy.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

patches are nothing new.

CaseyWegner

does pc gaming not exist?

Not referring to that area. Referring to console game development where, once upon a time, one chance was all you realistically got. I'm a firm believer in "Getting It Right The First Time," since first impressions are so important. Even GameSpot believes that, since all their reviews are based on the first version they get and are binding even when patches or fixes come along.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]Such as?foxhound_fox

Ocarina of Time went through several updates, as well as plenty of other N64 titles. You didn't "need" to buy them, but if you didn't want the glitches, you needed to replace the old copy with the new. Now we have the benefit of patches downloaded directly to the console, negating the need for a new copy.

So no game-breakers, then? Otherwise, I would think Nintendo would be taken to court and forced to replace the copies at no charge (under the aegis of selling a defective product).

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 tempest91
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts

I don't really think that it allows devs to be lazy as much as publishers to enforce deadlines, then just patch the game after it's released because the game is still playable upon release. This is because marketing and timing is so crucial to success, and they don't want little bugs to get in the way of their money.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
There used to be bugs, and now creating a game is more complex we can expect bugs. At least they can patch, except for those who don't have their consoles online. Sucks for them.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It amazes me how people say "lazy devs" all of the time. Apparently you have no idea how long QA can take and how expensive it can be.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HuusAsking

It amazes me how people say "lazy devs" all of the time. Apparently you have no idea how long QA can take and how expensive it can be.

Wasdie
QA to a game dev is like penetration testing to a security firm. It can pretty much be described as "The Cost of Doing Business", the cost of getting it right. I'd rather see no game than a bad game. Look what ET did to Atari back in 1982.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

HuusAsking

At least they were minimized since killer bugs meant no sales which probably meant your firm tanked. Whatever happened to "Getting It Right The First Time"?

Teams didn't magically gain the ability to do more polished games just because the patching was limited, they achieved that by limiting the project's scope and ambition

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I'd rather see no game than a bad game. HuusAsking
I would rather see broken game that's later patched, than no game to begin with

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]I'd rather see no game than a bad game. AdrianWerner

I'd rather not. It speaks of a bad work ethic.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

AdrianWerner

Teams didn't magically gain the ability to do more polished games just because the patching was limited, they achieved that by limiting the project's scope and ambition

I don't know about that. I mean, very few games of this generation would probably be considered candidates for best or most innovative game of all time. Most of them fall within the scope of the previous generations where one shot was all you got. You say it limits the scope; I say it keeps them focused, sorta like the Sword of Damocles.
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tempest91

[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]I'd rather see no game than a bad game. HuusAsking

No it doesn't, it just means that one part of the process of development had issues. There are plenty of games with fantastic potential that are plagued by bugs and we still appreciate the intent of the developer. This is the same as a writer with a good plot, but mediocre narrative. Games like Mass Effect can rise above technical flaws to still become great games and series.

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
[QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

Yes, because Devs are so ambitious and risk-taking this gen...
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="AdrianWerner"]I would rather see broken game that's later patched, than no game to begin with

tempest91

No it doesn't, it just means that one part of the process of development had issues. There are plenty of games with fantastic potential that are plagued by bugs and we still appreciate the intent of the developer. This is the same as a writer with a good plot, but mediocre narrative. Games like Mass Effect can rise above technical flaws to still become great games and series.

See, for me, one bad apple spoils the bunch. A mediocre narrative can probably drive many people away from seeing the plot to its conclusion: good or bad. Similarly, a game with technical issues can drive me away from the game before seeing it through. After all, if one aspect of the game had issues that weren't addressed, what's to say there aren't other issues that weren't addressed, either?

tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tempest91

[QUOTE="tempest91"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]I'd rather not. It speaks of a bad work ethic.HuusAsking

See, for me, one bad apple spoils the bunch. A mediocre narrative can probably drive many people away from seeing the plot to its conclusion: good or bad. Similarly, a game with technical issues can drive me away from the game before seeing it through.

If that's the case, then you are missing out on tons of good stories and games and I feel sorry for you. Another good example of this is the Bourne series of Novels. Very questionable writing at times, but fantastic action and plot made for decent books and even better movies, in my opinion. If you only judged them by the writing, they would never make it on their own.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"][QUOTE="tempest91"]

tempest91

See, for me, one bad apple spoils the bunch. A mediocre narrative can probably drive many people away from seeing the plot to its conclusion: good or bad. Similarly, a game with technical issues can drive me away from the game before seeing it through.

If that's the case, then you are missing out on tons of good stories and games and I feel sorry for you. Another good example of this is the Bourne series of Novels. Very questionable writing at times, but fantastic action and plot made for decent books and even better movies, in my opinion. If you only judged them by the writing, they would never make it on their own.

I'm a heavy reader, actually. Odds are, the kinds of books you describe I wouldn't have read to their conclusion. Same for movies; I went to see Avatar once and only once. Visually, it was all right (though the 3D was lost on me), but plot-wise it was horribly predictable.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

.....seriously? most games will get reviewed badly if there broken when shipped out too reviewers, and bad reviews mean bad sales, in most cases, so devs are motivated to still release games with as few bugs as possible, thread over?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HuusAsking

.....seriously? most games will get reviewed badly if there broken when shipped out too reviewers, and bad reviews mean bad sales, in most cases, so devs are motivated to still release games with as few bugs as possible, thread over?

linkin_guy109
Then explain the bug in Bully: Scholarship Edition for the 360 (I recall that was nearly a game-breaker). Plus I recall a recent PC review that was bad because of a big bug.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

HuusAsking
Then explain the bug in Bully: Scholarship Edition for the 360 (I recall that was nearly a game-breaker). Plus I recall a recent PC review that was bad because of a big bug.

i was actually thinking of bully when i posted what i did, rockstar got some pretty bad pr for bully on the 360 from what i recall
tempest91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tempest91

[QUOTE="tempest91"]

[QUOTE="HuusAsking"]See, for me, one bad apple spoils the bunch. A mediocre narrative can probably drive many people away from seeing the plot to its conclusion: good or bad. Similarly, a game with technical issues can drive me away from the game before seeing it through.HuusAsking

I'm a heavy reader, actually. Odds are, the kinds of books you describe I wouldn't have read to their conclusion. Same for movies; I went to see Avatar once and only once. Visually, it was all right (though the 3D was lost on me), but plot-wise it was horribly predictable.

I haven't even seen Avatar as it doesn't interest me. I can see my point is lost on you, and I can only say that to expect near perfection is a fruitless endeavor. There are so many great writers with predictable stories, and decent writers with great stories, I'm not sure how an avid reader can cast these aside so easily.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
It's a good thing, really. Games don't take as long to develop, and patches are typically released very quickly. Better than being stuck with a broken product, no?
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Before patches devs had to release the game with as little problems as possible, as when it was released that was it, no more changes and if it was broken it wouldn't sell so they would need to test it extensively. Now, they can just release patches to cover any bug up. So when most games are released now there are dozens of problems and the devs just let the players test the game instead of doing it theirselves.

Wario_Kid

Yep, when the game was released that was it, broken or not. I can't imagine anything better than devs being able to improve their games after release when it comes to gaming. Whether those are improvements to an already good game or patches that make a near broken game playable, it's a good thing.

Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
You know whats really annoying? a 300+ Mb patch that makes more problems than it fixes.
Gundamforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gundamforce
Member since 2005 • 1222 Posts

foxhound_fox

Agreed.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

tbh, before patches we had broken games and games with permanent bugs.

destro123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 destro123
Member since 2005 • 755 Posts

Not really.

blitzcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 blitzcloud
Member since 2007 • 1229 Posts

How can you hate on a system to promote more games per year at the cost of your harddrive TC? which also is the method to make your game longer by cutting our content that they sell you afterwards to meet the RRPP and gain a substantial margin without having to deal with retailers?

Oh wait, I see your point TC.

As much as i enjoy getting my game fixed, the TC point stands, and as someone said it's a way for big corporations to meet deadlines. Also the way to reduce the game content and sell it calling it "downloadable content", when if this was the previous generation, the QA tests would have taken long enough to add the missing content at no additional cost to be better than the "other company big game".

But since gaming is starting to be everywhere and less geek/nerd every generation, i guess it's only normal the other common diseases join aswell.

AndromedasWake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 AndromedasWake
Member since 2010 • 256 Posts
I'd rather they be able to fix problems, than not be able to, or simply choose not to do so. No developer can be 100% on quality control. It's an option they should have available to them.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Not all developers abuse the ability to patch on modern consoles and in PC games. There are two different scenarios for me.

It's one thing when a game offers a bunch of patches that are just "fine tuning", and taking care of user feedback, as well as things that update the multiplayer (i.e. re-balancing). It's a whole different matter when a game comes to retail and it's just totally busted from day one, then a patch is required just to make the game playable. Patching under the first scenario is great, when a game is totally busted until a patch it just disgusts me.

Cruxis27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cruxis27
Member since 2006 • 2057 Posts

So devs knowingly release half-assed games? Well actually that sounds about right nowadays, for the most part.

Oonga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Oonga
Member since 2010 • 633 Posts

i got patches on the Dreamcast so not really.

Eltormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Eltormo
Member since 2010 • 990 Posts

Wario_Kid
No it doesn't give them the opportunity for to be lazy,it has give them the obligation to be lazy... So agree with you,now they just release broken games,to make the target release date and patch it on the way,which suck every way you slice it.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Games are created by human beings, and human beings make mistakes. I'm happy to see those mistakes fixed.