Game Informer Gives Divinity OS a 9

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

So, I believe this is the first major outlet to have reviewed Divinity Original Sin. Thought some people would be interetested in the review--and yes yes, I know only Gamespot counts. I just wanted to share a review:

We are currently amidst a great resurgence of PC RPGs that borrow from the greats of ages past while taking advantage of modern quality of life improvements, graphics, and sound. Divinity: Original Sin isn’t just a great turn-based RPG, it stands tall on its own as an amazing title where players can truly blaze their own paths through the world as elemental wizards, crafty rogues, and brutal warriors.

You begin by choosing two main characters from a selection of presets. These templates are free to edit completely, but provide new players with some general class choices that come packaged with appropriate starting skills and stats. These two characters remain with the player, while two additional party members can join early on to create a full team of four.

Combat is turn-based, but never delves into a snoozefest. With no resources like mana or rage, action points do everything – from firing ricocheting arrows to summoning ice elementals. It’s all about positioning, careful use of action points, and elemental combinations. Here’s one satisfying sequence: create a patch of poison, blow it up with a fire spell, then lay down a steam cloud and electrify it to place opponents in a state of perpetual stun. If you’re not bringing any mage types into the fray, don’t dismay – all classes have ways to deliver the elemental attacks that at the crux of combat.

Seemingly impossible encounters and epic boss battles can often be overcome by taking advantage of the environment or the elements. Have someone strong on your team? Have them hurl an oil barrel into the center of a pack of enemies. No fire arrows, flame spells, or other items on your team to light it up? Have a rogue flick a candle into the mix. The options a player has at their disposal is staggering at times, and there will be many moments as you move through the game where something will click and you’ll say to yourself “Wait, I can do that?!”

If you want to be the traditional hero and follow quests by the book, that’s your choice. If you feel like killing every NPC you come across, that’s your choice too. These decisions have consequences, but problems have many solutions. In one situation I was faced with a suicide-explosion enemy positioned right next to an NPC I wanted to save. I chose to deal with the issue by simply using a rain spell to put out the bomb’s fuse, but a teleport skill or stealthier probably would have handled it with equal finesse. You can even use these skills outside of combat, which means you can prepare for a fight with flame creatures by laying down a rainstorm, use explosive arrows to blow up landmines that your perception skill located before you ran into them and died, or use telekinesis to grab items from dangerous areas.

After digging into your abilities, you can also experiment with the crafting and bartering systems. I spent little time engaging in crafting during my run, but the option to create skillbooks and other various useful items is available. Instead of just using hard currency, players can also dump various goods from their pack into trade windows with vendors, who will give you credit at the store for it. Every NPC has an attitude toward the player, and these attitudes can be modified with gifts or skills that allow players to make better trades.

Whether you’re making deals, killing town guards, or playing the hero, Divinity: Original Sin encourages you to explore the things that interest you. Will you spend hours in town without battling a single enemy talking to citizens, probing for information, and engaging in dialogue between your characters? Will you eschew the conversation and charge right out into the wilderness to battle beasts and undead? Will you wander from house to house, closing doors and taking down the inhabitants of the city until your pockets are bulging with stolen coin and treasure?

What Larian has done in this respect is incredibly impressive, and it gives the player true freedom and consequence for each action made. It’s possible to complete the game “by the book” or as the annihilator of worlds, so while decisions have consequences, nothing you do should lock you out of a playthrough. Just in case, save smart, save often, and try everything.

You’re free to bring a friend along to control your second character with the game’s co-op mode, and the modding community is sure to create additional scenarios to explore that will keep the title fresh long after your initial playthrough. My first run took about 60 hours, and I’m sure I missed plenty.

The experience is not without a few minor quibbles, such as disastrous misclicks that can occur from enemy/camera positioning and the inability to always have items show up on the ground. The complete freeform gameplay in Divinity: Original Sin can be quite daunting and frustrating, especially as a player navigates the minefield of the early game without any real direction. Embrace the lack of handholding and complete freedom, and you have an incredible title that provides many hours of entertainment.

9/10

Link

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

A pc game for men.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I might snag it later when its on sale.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

PC only has indies though

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Gonna be an 8 here because GS loves giving below the status quo.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Seems like a good game and for 40 bucks at launch. But my backlog is too large to jump into a 60+ hour RPG

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@lostrib said:

Seems like a good game and for 40 bucks at launch. But my backlog is too large to jump into a 60+ hour RPG

I guarantee you, he rushed through it too, as I know for a fact that you can easily spend 30hrs alone in the first zone alone....I did.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

So is this game better than Diablo 3/RoS ?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By uninspiredcup

@aroxx_ab said:

ARPG's.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@aroxx_ab: pretty sure it's a different kind of game

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

Different type of game. But probably (as I haven't played, but I enjoy real RPGs vs hacknslash "RP"G's far far more)

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#12 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Game looks amazing .

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Seems like the game to play this summer if youre an RPG fan.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

@Blabadon said:

PC only has indies though

Why do you bring up Vita in every thread ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k

@Animal-Mother said:

Seems like the game to play this summer if youre an RPG fan.

I'll be playing Metro: Redux this summer ^^

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: That too! Shame it comes in what? August?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R4gn4r0k

@Animal-Mother said:

@R4gn4r0k: That too! Shame it comes in what? August?

End of august (26 in US, 29 in EU)

So still plenty of time to play Divinity :P

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#18 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

It got a 9 because It's a shitty Kickstarter and Early Access game with low standards and lack of quality control.

\o-o'/

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

what's the coop like?

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

@illmatic87: stahp

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

PC master race!

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:

what's the coop like?

pretty darn good. Each player can go about rach of the areas alone if they wish, they do not have to be in combat together (if one is in combat the other one, if far enough away is not drawn into the combat and not beholden to turn based movement). The discussions ingame between what to do in certain cases makes for good roleplaying, and in combat it sometimes help to have two different people share the Group (2 and 2).

co-op is at its worst pretty much undetectable, and at its best pretty close to Pen and Paper RPgs (but with fixed choices).

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Maddie_Larkin said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

what's the coop like?

pretty darn good. Each player can go about rach of the areas alone if they wish, they do not have to be in combat together (if one is in combat the other one, if far enough away is not drawn into the combat and not beholden to turn based movement). The discussions ingame between what to do in certain cases makes for good roleplaying, and in combat it sometimes help to have two different people share the Group (2 and 2).

co-op is at its worst pretty much undetectable, and at its best pretty close to Pen and Paper RPgs (but with fixed choices).

sounds pretty good, pretty flexible.

thanks for weighing in dude.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

@lostrib said:

I'm in the same boat. I'll definitely pick it up later...during a Steam sale if I had to guess.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Gameinformer is my fav website and 9 is a damn pretty good score, so i consider the game to be a must-play !

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I like GI, but find their reviews to be a bit higher than deserved. I usually take at least 2 points off and am always usually right on the money.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@lostrib said:

What price were you expecting? It's a low budget game.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I started playing DOS yesterday and it's pretty damn good. A 9 is deserved so far, but we all know gamespot with give it a 8 lol.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

Yeah. It's wonderful. 2014 looks like it will be a golden year for cRPGs.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By uninspiredcup

Eurogamer (the most respected website) gave it a 9.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-09-divinity-original-sin-review

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I give it my highest recommendation.

I dropped a barrel on a group of foes, then shot a flaming arrow on it.
I fought a group composed of 8 foes 2 levels higher than me (wont happen in most AAA rpgs due to level scaling), and was rewarded with weapons designed for characters 2 levels higher than me (wont happen in most AAA rpgs due to level scaling), it was a tough fight, but through clever usage of skills, I came out victorious.
There have been multiple situations where I turned the environment as well as the enemies attacks against the enemies themselves.
One of my characters used a bucket for a helm and a broom for a weapon.
The mightiest heroes of all of Rivellon could not cross a simple rope, so teleporting the chest here did the job.
I told someone to steal a fish, then I told the guards about his crime.
I talked to a deaf old man and asked him about sects in Rivellon. He misheard what I said and assumed I was talking about something else.
I talked to someone who talked like Lord British and called meAvatar.

This game is clearly a masterpiece and deserves the 9 from both Eurogamer and Game Informer.

@jeager_titan said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

I've noticed if PC gets a good game, everybody licks it's dick, and if the consoles do, it gets ridiculed in some way. That said, this game looks fun.

And yet Gone Home is universally hated.

Not just Gone Home either, look at pretty much every mmorpg that has come out since WoW. On the console side games like Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8 and Valkyria Chronicles are very well recieved by gamers.

Point is: It doesnt matter on whether if it is PC or Console, just whether it is a good game that actually deserves the praise or not. As it happens a lot of those PC games (Divinity included) deserve the massive praise they happen to get, something I cannot say for the likes of Uncharted or Gears of War.