Freedom of speech....or whatever

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

I guess this is sorta SW worthy....theres lots of stuff on this forum that isn't exactly "system" "war" type stuff.

But this is a question to those who have expressed their frustration on a forum of a particular game on the publisher's or developer's site forums and then been banned for no reason.

I played Madden today. Was doing the Draft Champion and was on the 3rd game. I had won the 2 before from concedes. Anyway....during this game, I scored 3 touchdowns...forced 2 interceptions and a 4 n out. On the 4th time having the ball on offense...I did a play for 60yds and ended up on the 10yd line.

The opponent then paused the game...and it quickly said "You have lost connection to you peer".

People do this. They disconnect their cable from the PS4. Recently...(this being the second time this next part has happened) it made Madden lock up. The "push X to continue" would not work. I then had to restart Madden.

When I got back into Draft Champion's section. The game had not been recorded.

Not very mad...but frustrated I then went to the Madden EA forums telling them of the situation since this is started to become a thing and how I was trading in Madden for the Uncharted collection. I said "Madden sucks" and "EA sucks".

That was about has bad as it got. I didn't swear but I did say those 2 things.

Now, could I have been more formal? Sure. Am I fed up with Madden being shit? Yes. So, maybe all I expected was for the thread to be locked and or something.

But when I went just now to see what kind of well thought out responses the thread had....I found out I had been banned from the forum.

My quesion is: Do you think that is right?

Not "fair". But, right. Fair is a whole other thing. It's their forum, they can do what they want. But do you think it's wrong or right to not express frustration on a company's forum.

I'm not condoning "FUCKING MADDEN SUCKS DONEKY BALLS - **** EA **** THIS SHIT FUCKITY **** ****"....but a just a little frustration.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Yes, that comment added nothing to any sort of discussion and doesn't exactly create discussion in itself. Why keep people around who make such useless posts?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Mr_Huggles_dog

@soulitane: So are you saying a game's forums is only for positive discussion.

No venting of how the game might be broken?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

You could've just said what happened and how flawed it is, without resorting to "it sucks brehs". Does nothing.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

Shutup Cranler

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Where did I say that? You posted something stupid and got banned, I agreed with what happened to you.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Mr_Huggles_dog

@freedomfreak: I completely admit that it didn't need to be said.

You have to take into consideration the context that is the Madden situation. Madden is a love/hate relationship. It's the only Football game there is....so you love it.

But it's the only Football game there can be....so you hate it.

It's flawed....fundamentally....in many ways.

Frustration is only natural.

I'm not defending my actions....just giving the background that stirs the pot so-to-speak.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mr_Huggles_dog

@soulitane: What I did was vent. I'm not trying to be a dick to you. I don't have any beef or whatever with you so it's not like I feel like you're being a prick like -God- is just b/c of "oh look, it's Huggles, watch this post, lawl" shit.

I'm honestly asking. What I did was vent.

Where should I vent about such things? The post might not have been the most respectable but it, for sure, was not vulgar.

There could have been someone who could have said something like "We know of the problem and we're sorry...we are currently looking into a fix for it".

And I would have been apologetic and would have been like "sorry...just frustrating, ya know".

Surely, they understand some ppl are going to be frustrated by this or that during the lifetime of ANY game. Venting, which is what I did, and not scolding or something....should be anticipated.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By soulitane

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@soulitane: What I did was vent. I'm not trying to be a dick to you. I don't have any beef or whatever with you so it's not like I feel like you're being a prick like -God- is just b/c of "oh look, it's Huggles, watch this post, lawl" shit.

Where should I vent about such things? The post might not have been the most respectable but it, for sure, was not vulgar.

There could have been someone who could have said something like "We know of the problem and we're sorry...we are currently looking into a fix for it".

And I would have been apologetic and would have been like "sorry...just frustrating, ya know".

Surely, they understand some ppl are going to be frustrated by this or that during the lifetime of ANY game. Venting, which is what I did, and not scolding or something....should be anticipated.

There's a difference between constructively voicing your issues with the game and venting how you did. Those comments in the opening post aren't constructive and they don't lend themselves to discussion. If you rationalised your thoughts and actually presented a reason for your frustration then I'd disagree with your banning. However, you didn't do that and simply posted "EA SUCKS", which is an ultimately pointless comment, hence why I agree with your banning.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@soulitane said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

There's a difference between constructively voicing your issues with the game and venting how you did. Those comments in the opening post aren't constructive and they don't lend themselves to discussion. If you rationalised your thoughts and actually presented a reason for your frustration then I'd disagree with your banning. However, you didn't do that and simply posted "EA SUCKS", which is an ultimately pointless comment, hence why I agree with your banning.

No...I posted the whole scenario before I said all that.

I went through how the game was going...how I was dominating and how the "connection lost" happened, how my game froze, how the game didn't record, and how it was frustrating that it was starting to become a thing.

Then i said what I said about "EA sucks"

And I didn't put it in caps. It's a trivial detail but I think it matters.

I wasn't irate....just frustrated like I said.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog: Yes you should be banned from all forums, i never liked EA but this has made me reconsider.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@getyeryayasout: I know. Thats why I made the distinction between "do you think it's right" not "fair".

I'm trying to avoid the whole "they own the forums....let's edumacate everyone on freedom of speach" talk for the 10,000th time.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

Lock request due to the usual suspects like -God- and Snugenz and the rest that have yet to come in and not take the thread seriously.

I'd rather not have the discussion if it means they get any sort of void filled by hating on me as a free ride.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mr_Huggles_dog

@getyeryayasout: Fair enough.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Your first mistake was to support Madden franchise. Vote with your wallet.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

A ban is a little harsh, although I guess if your first post just came off as pointless bashing(not saying the complaints are pointless, but from the perspective of an admin/mod it very well could have) of the forum owner's product I'd probably have just banned you too. Might as well douse the fire while it's still a spark after all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

I guess this is sorta SW worthy....theres lots of stuff on this forum that isn't exactly "system" "war" type stuff.

But this is a question to those who have expressed their frustration on a forum of a particular game on the publisher's or developer's site forums and then been banned for no reason.

I played Madden today. Was doing the Draft Champion and was on the 3rd game. I had won the 2 before from concedes. Anyway....during this game, I scored 3 touchdowns...forced 2 interceptions and a 4 n out. On the 4th time having the ball on offense...I did a play for 60yds and ended up on the 10yd line.

The opponent then paused the game...and it quickly said "You have lost connection to you peer".

People do this. They disconnect their cable from the PS4. Recently...(this being the second time this next part has happened) it made Madden lock up. The "push X to continue" would not work. I then had to restart Madden.

Not very mad...but frustrated I then went to the Madden EA forums telling them of the situation since this is started to become a thing and how I was trading in Madden for the Uncharted collection. I said "Madden sucks" and "EA sucks".

Now, could I have been more formal? Sure. Am I fed up with Madden being shit? Yes. So, maybe all I expected was for the thread to be locked and or something.

But when I went just now to see what kind of well thought out responses the thread had....I found out I had been banned from the forum.

Not "fair". But, right. Fair is a whole other thing. It's their forum, they can do what they want. But do you think it's wrong or right to not express frustration on a company's forum.

I'm not condoning "FUCKING MADDEN SUCKS DONEKY BALLS - **** EA **** THIS SHIT FUCKITY **** ****"....but a just a little frustration.

I don't want to sound rude but I'm saying this with common logic in mind and also just to maybe help you out....but you need to consider how you've posted in SW before if you built up a bad reputation with at least a few people on here.....then trying something like this and expecting SW to take you seriously is almost unfair.

But if you think you've been an absolute angel on here then by all means... point your finger at all the haters.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog

@acp_45 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

I don't want to sound rude but I'm saying this with common logic in mind and also just to maybe help you out....but you need to consider how you've posted in SW before if you built up a bad reputation with at least a few people on here.....then trying something like this and expecting SW to take you seriously is almost unfair.

But if you think you've been an absolute angel on here then by all means... point your finger at all the haters.

This had nothing to do with SW. It was posted on the EA fourms.

If you're talking about the lock request....well,....I dunno. I just figured it was one of those "easy target" type situations so I didn't think it would attract haters or whatever due to there being little sport in it.

But...some of the posters still amaze me sometimes.

For instance...while Cloud and I don't get along....I would have done the same thing he did. Posted something indifferent and keeping somewhat on topic.

But then you have Snugenz and -God- and some others that I have a feeling will come in here and get their rocks off for a quick and easy bashing.

So...lock request it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:
@acp_45 said:
@mr_huggles_dog said:

This had nothing to do with SW. It was posted on the EA fourms.

If you're talking about the lock request....well,....I dunno. I just figured it was one of those "easy target" type situations so I didn't think it would attract haters or whatever.

But...some of the posters still amaze me sometimes.

For instance...while Cloud and I don't get along....I would have done the same thing he did. Posted something indifferent and keeping somewhat on topic.

But then you have Snugenz and -God- and some others that I have a feeling will come in here and get their rocks off for a quick and easy bashing.

So...lock request it is.

I see..

Well, bad luck I guess.

Sorry about this.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

I Like Trains.......

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#24 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Moral of the story: online multiplayer gaming is a mixed experience at best.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#25 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58957 Posts

But EA do suck.

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

@so_hai said:

so why do people keep buying multiplayer franchises?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

Does the publisher care about that ?

I've seen forum posts for POP: Trilogy saying how the sound was broken, Ubisoft never reacted

I've seen the BF4 forum, listing many people who couldn't play the game. EA never reacted

I've seen the NFS: Rivals forum, listing many people who couldn't play the game. EA never reacted. Oh no, wait they did: they said they were never going to fix it.

I think the steam community is way better. There are lots of devs on there. And a bigger chance to ever get a reaction to your issue.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#28 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@napo_sp said:
@so_hai said:

I have no idea. Probably looking for a good experience, not finding it, and buying another ad nauseum.

Avatar image for deactivated-597794cd74015
deactivated-597794cd74015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29 deactivated-597794cd74015
Member since 2012 • 961 Posts

Free Speech only protects you from the government.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

there's no such thing as freedom of speech anymore

everything you say will "offend" someone in some shape or form

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: But OP hates steam...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

@anthonyautumns said:

Developers love it though =p

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#33 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I don't think you should have been outright banned just for saying that. Thin skin is thin over there.

@getyeryayasout said:

You don't have freedom of speech on any internet forum.

Sad but true. Every one of us is subject to what ever those in charge are feeling at any given moment.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Litchie  Online
Member since 2003 • 34608 Posts

EA probably ban people who say they suck. I wouldn't, but I'm not EA. If I should answer if I think it was right or not, I would probably have to see your whole post first in order to make an opinion.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

While I agree that "this sucks" is not the most productive of criticisms, I think it's a bit harsh to be banned just for that. Is there a past moderation history you're neglecting to mention that may have held bearing on your banning? Usually forums are lenient for a few missteps (unless you're Neogaf), so it's hard for me to buy that you were banned due solely such a reply. I suspect if you made that post, you probably have made similar ones in the past.

So I suppose being "right" or "wrong" in their decision for me would lay contingent upon your past behavior. If you've said similar sentiment many times, I can't say I blame them. If you haven't, yes, I do think it's an unjust and rash course of action. Maybe you just caught a mod on a bad day.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Mr_Huggles_dog

@MirkoS77: No, not really. Last year when I bought Madden it was fundamentally flawed just like always and like this year's so I went there and gave criticism....literally didn't bash or swear or anything and was respectful....and I got banned then too.

It's sorta the reason why I posted what I did this time b/c I figured...."**** it".

I have 2 posts in the history of the EA forums. This post from yesterday and the Madden one from last year and thats it.

@anthonyautumns said:

So you know me? I don't think so.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#38 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts
Loading Video...

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#39 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

I was going to say something, but @lostrib's pic kinda sums it all up.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

forums do not have freedom of speech. they are privately owned and you have to adhere to their rules to use them. using a forum isn't a right, it's a privilege.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

I'll tell you what sucks, this thread....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Freedom of speech is a right but that doesn't give you a right to run your mouth wherever you want, you can get kicked out of private places open to the public, like talking in the middle of a movie theater; you see there's a line somewhere, right?

If you're saying something to get you kicked out, maybe they do shoot down descent in those forums, but if you really care to get your message across you might try to employ tact.

Then again gaming companies hire morons sometimes, the big ones. If it were a problem with Madden then join the EA forums or hit up their Twitter support page. If it's a PS4 problem, hit up their forums or call them to explain the problem. Problems with forums is I learned that the morons moderate them. If you go complaining "people are cheating by unplugging their cords which ruins it from my end" then they'll delete your forum thread like "please do not tell people how to cheat"; I get your frustration, in that case call because you're obviously not able to post on whatever forums you post on.

If I were you I'd change topic title to "why do game companies hire non-gaming idiots for customer support?"

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Doesn't mean you are immune to criticism and/or disagreement.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

Many if not most forums are like these days, you have to be pro-whatever and only post positive things, other wise you'll be censored.

Samething here, OT is only if you are pro-gay, pro-Hillary, pro-liberal, pro-feminist, only have nice things to say.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

I think they understand frustration and understand their game could be better and will be better with time but I think they cannot accept your kind of post.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

But EA do suck.

Yes. We finally agree....but it's does. lol

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Dial it up a notch from freedom of speech. Wave a gun around and flex your second amendment rights. (waving is actually illegal)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

Within the confines of their rules, you are entitled to express your opinion. Just like here... However, if you start posting outside of their rules, then I don't see why they shouldn't ban you. Free speech is there to protect you from the government, and isn't applicable outside of that. Though I assume you were using it as more of a launching point for your thread, rather than an outright accusation of them violating your free speech.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

@napo_sp said:
@so_hai said:

Because sometimes it can be really fun? Just a guess.

As for the OP's original question, I think the permanent ban (if indeed it is permanent) is a bit excessive, but moderating forums must be a nauseating experience trying to wade through the tidal waves of useless drivel, hate speech, and plain stupidity so I can empathize with some moderator being a little "ban happy" so to speak.

Sucks that it happened at all none the less.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Freedom of speech is not freedom of platform. Maybe when your done getting yourself banned you'll finally understand that.