Forgot AAAEs! The real thing that is holding back the PS3 is...

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts

The price. Plain and simple. Why is the Wii selling so well? It is the cheapest console. Do you think Joe casual walks into Best Buy screaming, "OMG, teh PS3 haz NO AAAE!!" Looking at a 40 GB PS3 ($399) next to a Pro and Arcade 360 ($349 + $279 respectively) next to a Wii ($249) makes it seem like a bad move to purchase a 360.Sure, Live and the innovation of the Wii are also selling points, but the largest factor is the price.

An anyalist predicts the PS3 to win the war in the end. AFTER A SIGNIFICANT PRICE REDUCTION. Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9948454-52.html

Also, Advertising is a massive part. Why is a Xbox 360 logo flashing by for multiplat games like GTA IV and Assassins Creed. It gives the assumption that the game is exclusive to the system.

Anyway that is my opinion. I am not a lemming. I only have a ps3 and would gladly provide pics as proof.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
PS3 Logo Flashes for GTA in Canada.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Didn't Ass Creed and GTA 4 both have PS3-only ads? In America, anyway.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49582 Posts
Sony just needs to tout more on the "Blu-ray" feature on the Playstation 3; that's truly all they have.
metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

If price was as much of a factor as you make it out to be the 360 wouldn't be as far behind the PS3 as it is now.

Wii is selling because it appeals to everyone, 360 appeals to many gamers, and PS3 has mainly been surviving off of the Sony fans, but is starting to pick up more steam with other gamers.

TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

The price. Plain and simple. Why is the Wii selling so well? It is the cheapest console. Do you think Joe casual walks into Best Buy screaming, "OMG, teh PS3 haz NO AAAE!!" Looking at a 40 GB PS3 ($399) next to a Pro and Arcade 360 ($349 + $279 respectively) next to a Wii ($249) makes it seem like a bad move to purchase a 360.Sure, Live and the innovation of the Wii are also selling points, but the largest factor is the price.

An anyalist predicts the PS3 to win the war in the end. AFTER A SIGNIFICANT PRICE REDUCTION. Link: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-9948454-52.html

Also, Advertising is a massive part. Why is a Xbox 360 logo flashing by for multiplat games like GTA IV and Assassins Creed. It gives the assumption that the game is exclusive to the system.

Anyway that is my opinion. I am not a lemming. I only have a ps3 and would gladly provide pics as proof.

jtdawg23

Yup, the same with the 360. The first to drop to mass market prices will get the drop on the other. Listen up MS your missing your chance.

AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts

In the UK you can get a Premium 360 for the same price as a Wii.

Yet the Wii is still selling better.

primitive013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 primitive013
Member since 2003 • 1422 Posts
thats what is holding me back from buying one. and is also why i picked up a wii at launch; its cheap. Ill get a x360 when i gets down to 199.00; pissed me off its still 300.00+. I'll get a PS3 once it gets down to 299.00
tonyleo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 tonyleo01
Member since 2004 • 2255 Posts

jtdawg23

Well, Im quite sure many people buy ps3 just because it's a "Sony Playstation" brand. I know I was. i'm pretty sure Sony knows about this advantage over the competitors and was banking on that too.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I seen more blu ray dvd comercials than PS3 games comercials, also I've been seeing the PS3 version of GTA IV comercials than the 360 version.

And yes the price is the PS3's downfall. No matter how many times they lower the price and how low the price they can make it, the competition can always lower their prices as many times and still be lower than the PS3 at any given time.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
i have yet to see a single GTA4 commercial with an 360 logo. :?
TOAO_Cyrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 TOAO_Cyrus1
Member since 2004 • 2895 Posts

In the UK you can get a Premium 360 for the same price as a Wii.

Yet the Wii is still selling better.

AdolescentDon

The Wii is still going to win of course but the PS3 or Xbox would sell allot better at a much lower price.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

I agree about the advertisments. I can count the Playstation ads on one hand for all TVchannels. The 360 and Wii have far more ads where I live.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

What's holding back the PS3 is the lack of accessibility. The 360 has captured the hardcore market and the Wii has the casual market leaving the PS3 to fend for itself or find some middle ground.

Price is a factor, but we've seen the more expensive console beat the cheaper competitors.

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts

i have yet to see a single GTA4 commercial with an 360 logo. :?lawlessx

Its the opposite for me lol

whackedjob213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 whackedjob213
Member since 2006 • 2103 Posts
When you factor in that the cheapest SKU has a larger hard drive than MS cheapest and it also has Blu Ray built in Wi-Fi, controllers that you can charge and play at the same time wtihout buying an extra thing for. The extra 50 bucks isn't that bad. Plus with the 360 factor in Live and if you want a larger HDD you have to pay for MS' not any brand you want the PS3 is chaeper in the long run.
dru26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dru26
Member since 2005 • 5505 Posts
i have yet to see a single GTA4 commercial with an 360 logo. :?lawlessx
The only one I see on a repeated basis is the ps3 version.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
WRONG! How many times does it have to be said price isn't a main factor, I would say that the PS3 being so much more expensive than the 360 is a factor, not the overall price though, Gamecube was the cheapest last generation, didn't sell the best did it, no it sold the worst. So there you have it, price is a factor but being the cheapest doesn't always help.
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts

If price was as much of a factor as you make it out to be the 360 wouldn't be as far behind the PS3 as it is now.

metroidfood

What year do you think thsi is? 2010?

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

xsubtownerx

He meants day to day sales, not installbase :|

dkhw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 dkhw
Member since 2006 • 4045 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"][QUOTE="metroidfood"]

thrones

He meants day to day sales, not installbase :|

He probably meant tha butt-kicking 360 recieved from Nov/Dec. onwards.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

Price and exclusive games is holding it back. Sony will need X360 owners to own the PS3 eventually as well (at least a lot of them here in the US). That's why exclusives that sale the console are VERY important to this crowd.....why shoudl they buy the PS3 for a game they can get on a console they already own?

MGS4 is probably the most important game for the PS3 this year. It's important to give X360 owners a reason to want a PS3....mutliplats just don't do it.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#23 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts
If cheaper price was all the consumer cared about, the Gamecube would've been the console to break 100 mil last gen. No, it's all about games, which the PS3 has been lacking all this time.
CajunShooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CajunShooter
Member since 2006 • 5276 Posts

Sony just needs to tout more on the "Blu-ray" feature on the Playstation 3; that's truly all they have.Stevo_the_gamer

Ah, the fanboyism is strong in you I see.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Wii is selling because it appeals to everyone, 360 appeals to many gamers, and PS3 has mainly been surviving off of the Sony fans, but is starting to pick up more steam with other gamers.

metroidfood
why does everybody say the 360 is far behind the ps 3 , the 360 still has a larger install base and by month to month sales figures the difference between 360 sales and ps3 sales are hardly anything, if you can't provide proof that 360 is behind then stop saying it.
patrickjw333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 patrickjw333
Member since 2004 • 809 Posts

jtdawg23

do you have a marketing degree or something. you guys kill me thinking you know how to run a company. sony is doing fine quit reaching.

Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts

PS3 Logo Flashes for GTA in Canada.EVOLV3

Yup, I assumed it was like that everywhere, it says Playstation 3 on a black screen at the end of all gta iv ads in Canada.

Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#28 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts
It's obviously more than just the price. It's been lowered by $200 over the last year and a half, and it's still selling less than 200K a month. Many people must just not like the console.
-GhostMLD-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -GhostMLD-
Member since 2008 • 3282 Posts

PS3 Logo Flashes for GTA in Canada.EVOLV3

nope, i live in Ontario. It says "download exclusive episodes fall 2008" and shows the 360 logo at the end. Never once saw a gta commercial with PS3 logo.

potterpipi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#30 potterpipi
Member since 2005 • 16597 Posts

Sony needs to point out the PS3 is a blu ray player more.

I've seen lots of people thinking about buying Blu Ray players, and their kids (or them) wanting a PS3. People just aren't well informed :P

signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts

aahaha i agree with TC a lot. You think the average consumer cares about AAAE? A game like Oblivion, BioShock or whatever do well on gaming sites, but dont sell too well

I think TC is also wrong though,,, although you cant compare the PS3/360 to Wii's price,, most consumers are smart enough to realize that the PS3 having Blu Ray is a great feature. A LOT of ppls first DVD players were PS2's (myself included), and i could see the same argument goin for PS3. When you figure in the cost for XBL every year,, play and charge kit,,, wireless adapter (all essentials in my books),,, the PS3 comes off as a steal why the 360 is overpriced considering the lack of all the features the PS3 has out of the box + lack of blu ray support. A lot of people are buying PS3's now over 360 simply because its the better deal. To the average consumer,, the main selling games are multiplats like COD4, GTA4, AC etc,, AAAE's dont mean that much at the end of the day. Hell, i think most people are sold on buying a PS3 when they see a demonstration of GT5P or Uncharted in stores on a plasma/LCD tv

GARRYTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GARRYTH
Member since 2005 • 6870 Posts
It's obviously more than just the price. It's been lowered by $200 over the last year and a half, and it's still selling less than 200K a month. Many people must just not like the console.Super-Mario-Fan
are you saying no one likes the 360 as well considering there selling neck to neck mouth after mouth.
thegame1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#33 thegame1980
Member since 2006 • 2194 Posts

When you factor in that the cheapest SKU has a larger hard drive than MS cheapest and it also has Blu Ray built in Wi-Fi, controllers that you can charge and play at the same time wtihout buying an extra thing for. The extra 50 bucks isn't that bad. Plus with the 360 factor in Live and if you want a larger HDD you have to pay for MS' not any brand you want the PS3 is chaeper in the long run.whackedjob213

True, but unfortunatly for cows not many people care. Besides Blu-ray is over hyped and really not that great. The built in wi-fi for PS3 is pretty ****** (Speaking from expierence anyway) and with the PS3's "larger" hardrive being eaten rather quickly once 4 or 5 games have been preinstalled it pretty much voids that advantage out. See Sony wasn't stupid and knew the Blu-ray drive was only a 1x speed rom and to counteract that games would need to be preinstalled in order to run quicker and reduce the load times thus offering larger HDD since games eat anywhere from 2 to 10 gigs.

signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 signore

[QUOTE="whackedjob213"]When you factor in that the cheapest SKU has a larger hard drive than MS cheapest and it also has Blu Ray built in Wi-Fi, controllers that you can charge and play at the same time wtihout buying an extra thing for. The extra 50 bucks isn't that bad. Plus with the 360 factor in Live and if you want a larger HDD you have to pay for MS' not any brand you want the PS3 is chaeper in the long run.thegame1980

True, but no one cares unfortunatly for cows. Besides Blu-ray is over hyped and really not that great, built in wi-fi isn't that great either not to mention the one in the PS3 is pretty ****** (Speaking from expierence anyway) and with the PS3's "larger" hardrive being eating rather quickly once 4 or 5 games have been preinstalled it pretty much voids that out. Sony wasn't stupid and knew the Blu-ray drive was only a 1x speed rom and to counteract that games would need to be preinstalled in order to run quicker and reduce the load times thus offering larger HDD since games eat anywhere from 2 to 10 gigs.

you make a lot of great points, with a lot of proof and facts to back them up /sarcasm

bluray is overhyped? ok, that makes a lot of sense. Explain to me how? Considering if you want a hi def experience for movies, you dont really have a better option? wifi isnt that great? not everybody wants ethernet cables running through their house, thats tacky and a pain in the ass. My PS3's wifi connection is far better than my laptops,, you must just have a bad connection, dont generalize. Your HDD complaint is valid, but as long as I keep deleting my demos and stuff i can always fit room on my 40GB for the installations,,, you can always delete the game data (and not the saves) to save space if you dont plan on playin the game for a while. Whatever, you get HDD's for decently cheap these days, so when it actually becomes a problem I'll address it

By the way, why do you own a PS3 when youre clearly a ragin lemming?

skirlnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skirlnik
Member since 2004 • 909 Posts

I think the high price actually may help Sony in the end. It has obviously crippled what could have been a sales explosion early in the console's lifetime, but I think the fact that it's expensive gives it a certain product image in the mind of the consumer, if perhaps only the "non-hardcore" consumer. "It's expensive? It must be great! I'll get one when I can afford it."

Whereas the 360, in the mainstream view, comes across as cheap electronics with the reported hardware problems, etc. The way it looks kind of feeds into this image, I think.

In my opinion, obviously.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10645 Posts
[QUOTE="metroidfood"]

delta3074
why does everybody say the 360 is far behind the ps 3 , the 360 still has a larger install base and by month tomonth sales figures the difference between 360 sales and ps3 sales are hardly anything, if you can't provide proof that 360 is behind then stop saying it.

here in NA it is, but worldwide sings a different tone
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 vicmackey39
Member since 2008 • 2416 Posts
the only thing the Ps3 is winning is last place
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 signore

the only thing the Ps3 is winning is last placevicmackey39

Unless you own shares in M$, why do you care? Its pretty low when consumers on internet forums always like to refer to sales charts/pie graphs to settle an argument. We're gamers, we play the games,,,, and Sony/M$/Nintendo make money off of US, so why do you care

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ermacness

[QUOTE="whackedjob213"]When you factor in that the cheapest SKU has a larger hard drive than MS cheapest and it also has Blu Ray built in Wi-Fi, controllers that you can charge and play at the same time wtihout buying an extra thing for. The extra 50 bucks isn't that bad. Plus with the 360 factor in Live and if you want a larger HDD you have to pay for MS' not any brand you want the PS3 is chaeper in the long run.thegame1980

True, but unfortunatly for cows not many people care. Besides Blu-ray is over hyped and really not that great. The built in wi-fi for PS3 is pretty ****** (Speaking from expierence anyway) and with the PS3's "larger" hardrive being eaten rather quickly once 4 or 5 games have been preinstalled it pretty much voids that advantage out. See Sony wasn't stupid and knew the Blu-ray drive was only a 1x speed rom and to counteract that games would need to be preinstalled in order to run quicker and reduce the load times thus offering larger HDD since games eat anywhere from 2 to 10 gigs.

If blu-ray wasn't/isn't that great than why did it win the format war? Secondly, my wifi on my ps3 works very well, in fact it works so well that m$ made a 1st party wifi adapter. So someone over there at m$ must think that wifi is good. Thirdly, i can't even debate with you about the install process of the ps3 because it is somewhat bogus(keyword: SOMEWHAT) but i'll tell you this; If having mandatory installs makes my muliplat perform a little better than the competition, then bring it on
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 vicmackey39

[QUOTE="vicmackey39"]the only thing the Ps3 is winning is last placesignore

Unless you own shares in M$, why do you care? Its pretty low when consumers on internet forums always like to refer to sales charts/pie graphs to settle an argument. We're gamers, we play the games,,,, and Sony/M$/Nintendo make money off of US, so why do you care

I don't care, I'm just pointing out the obvious

cows have no right to talk about winning the console war when they're trailin g in last place and have such a terrible software library

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ermacness
[QUOTE="signore"]

[QUOTE="vicmackey39"]the only thing the Ps3 is winning is last placevicmackey39

I don't care, I'm just pointing out the obvious

cows have no right to talk about winning the console war when they're trailin g in last place and have such a terrible software library

all thanx to that year head start because sony wiped the floor with m$ in 07 worldwide sales and is looking to possibly do much worse to m$ (thanx to that triumph over the 360 in europe and the struggle that the ps3 is putting up with the 360 in NA that wasn't present in 07) this year. Have a good day sir
vicmackey39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 vicmackey39

all thanx to that year head start because sony wiped the floor with m$ in 07 worldwide sales and is looking to possibly do much worse to m$ (thanx to that triumph over the 360 in europe and the struggle that the ps3 is putting up with the 360 in NA that wasn't present in 07) this year. Have a good day sir
ermacness

so what?

It's capitalism. Microsoft were smart to release a year early, Sony were dumb to release their unfinished bucket of PC parts a year late. Still doesn't chaneg the fact that the 360 is killing the PS3 and the Wii is killing them both

The PS3 has as much chance of catching the Wii as the PSP has of catching the DS. None

Avatar image for Super-Mario-Fan
Super-Mario-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

#43 Super-Mario-Fan
Member since 2006 • 4279 Posts

[QUOTE="Super-Mario-Fan"]It's obviously more than just the price. It's been lowered by $200 over the last year and a half, and it's still selling less than 200K a month. Many people must just not like the console.GARRYTH
are you saying no one likes the 360 as well considering there selling neck to neck mouth after mouth.

True. The 360 also had price cuts, but not as many as the PS3. The people who want a 360 probably already have one. Considering the first Xbox's sales numbers, I'm not surprised by this. However, the Playstation brand has gone from a huge sales leader (over 120 million) to a sales loser, probably due to a loss of interest in the brand.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 thelastguy
Member since 2007 • 12030 Posts
[QUOTE="jtdawg23"]

patrickjw333

do you have a marketing degree or something. you guys kill me thinking you know how to run a company. sony is doing fine quit reaching.

No i do not. But alot of people i know were under the impression that AC and GTA IV were 360 exclusive.

Roushrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Roushrsh
Member since 2005 • 3351 Posts

[QUOTE="EVOLV3"]PS3 Logo Flashes for GTA in Canada.-GhostMLD-

nope, i live in Ontario. It says "download exclusive episodes fall 2008" and shows the 360 logo at the end. Never once saw a gta commercial with PS3 logo.

Yeah I just see the 360 logo at the end :S

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
It's really not the reason. Anyone with half a brain could realize PS3 is worth $399 and the Wii is a complete rip-off at $249. People are just buying it because of the hype surrounding the gimmick controller. Nothing more. If 360/Ps3 were less in cost yeah I'm sure they'd move more units but the Wii could easily drop to $99 TODAY and Nintendo would take no loses. Just going to keep milking you morons as long as possible.
Andybsg1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Andybsg1_basic
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Don't usually post on here but thought this thread needed a response so here goes. PRICE First off, price seems to be one that's getting used as a main difference so, smoke and mirrors aside, lets look at the facts. These are UK figures for the basic packages off of Amazon. Wii - £179.98 PS3 - £299.99 360 - £149.99 So, it would seem the 360 is a clear winner here with the Wii just behind it and the PS3 trailing miles behind... However that is simply not the case. There are two main reasons why the 360 figures here are 'distorted'... The need for a seperate HD-DVD drive if you want to watch movies and the lack of a Hard Drive built in. If you add in the basic versions of both of those the 360 price hits £249.99. OK, they may both be optional and they're not needed for the Wii but that was designed without those in mind while the 360 and PS3 have the HD as integral parts and up until the recent death of HD-DVD the 360 was being marketed as a media station rather than just a console, something only the PS3 can now claim. So, in my view, the final standings in terms of value for money would go Wii, PS3, 360. The 360 would move into second if you were only interested in a game machine but is otherwise beaten by the PS3 because of all the extra stuff you get for your money. HARDWARE/PERFORMANCE This one is a complete cake walk for the PS3. In terms of graphics the 360 does still seem to have a slight edge but this is a very minor edge only really apparent if playing on a top end HD TV and could have more to do with the fact developers have had an extra year to learn to push the 360 than they have on the PS3. With graphics the only real saving grace for 360, the PS3 trumps it everywhere else... HD-DVD is dead making the HD-DVD drive an expensive paperweight. Sony's built in battery controllers beat the annoyance of the seperate battery 360 ones. PS3 has in built wireless without having to buy a bridge for wireless controllers, headset and internet. The PS3 doesn't suffer from the RROD problems the 360 is plagued with and it doesn't shred discs if you sneeze on it during play. Also, when I boot up my 360 I have to turn the TV up to drown out the sound of the 360 itself whirring and humming away to itself an when I compare it to my PS3 I just can't get away from the fact the 360 seems 'cheaply' made. No real mention of the Wii here as it's never going to compete with the two big boys in terms of hardware and when you look at the visuals of Motorstorm in full HD compared to the Wii i'm sure no one will argue but the Wii does score hardware points for it's use of motion sensor and novel accessories. Final positions here are PS3, 360, Wii SALES/MARKET POSITION These figures are from the US as I couldn't find accurate UK or Worldwide figures but I'll be adding in some other facts to highlight key points. One thing I will say though is that those who claim the 360 is wiping the floor with Sony are clearly looking at the wrong figures, other than the Halo spike the PS3 has been closing the gap in terms of world wide figures quite steadily every month. - Total PS3 sales overtook 360 sales in the EU in April as the PS3 finally overhauled the massive 16 month lead the 360 had in terms of release date. - Worldwide, over sales figures show the Wii selling just under 24 million units, the 360 at around 18 million and the PS3 around 15 million. - In terms of monthly sales, the Wii is still far outselling the other two(by roughly 2 to 1) with the PS3 second and the 360 trailing in third. So, in terms of sales the Wii is clearly king while the 360 is inevitably being beaten back into third place as it's head start is being eaten into by the PS3. GAMES This is the crunch category and the one most people care about and, once again, the results are similar to the other categories. The Wii has the most innovative games out there and offers something the other two consoles just can't touch while the 360's lead in this area has been slowly and surely eaten away with only the brief surge cause by Halo and the clever GTA IV online deal giving it any real hope of holding onto it's dominance in this area. The PS3 has suffered heavily due to a lack of real '****c' titles and a very limited catalogue as developers favoured the 360 but this is now turning around. With the PS3 now overtaking the 360 in terms of sales it is now becoming the priority platform for developers simply because of financial reasons. Nearly all major titles now appear on both consoles while the number of PS3 exclusive ones is growing. I'm not going to score this category as it's almost impossible to do. Wii games can't really be compared to 360/PS3 ones as they're so different and while the gap between the 360 and PS3 games is closing and is still debatable it does seem to be moving slowly in Sony's favour. OVERALL Now, I happen to own all three consoles so this is my view and I don't expect people to agree but for me if I was told to pick one of those consoles and only one it would be the PS3. I would be sad to lose the Wii as it's great fun when you have a few mates round but I honestly don't think i'd miss the 360 apart from the odd game of Halo. When it comes to multi platform games I always prefer to buy them on the PS3 as I just prefer playing on that due to the destroyed discs i've had on the 360, the noise it makes when it's on and the bulkiness of the controllers with the battery pack on. When I look ahead at upcoming platform specific titles its the PS3 ones that excite me the most with MGS4, Wipeout, Final Fantasy, Gran Turismo 5, Motorstorm 2, Ridge Racer and Tekken 6. Unless things change I can't see how the 360 can drop to anything but third place by the end of this year and I can't see either of them catching the Wii. While the 360 was originally hailed as the leader of the next gen consoles the PS3 has overcome it's bad press and expensive price tag to slwoly catch the 360 but both have been blown away by the Wii and it remains to be seen if the Wii is leading because of it's 'novelty' value or if it really is what people want from gaming.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

Halo 3 was the reason many many people bought an Xbox 360 over a PS3.

Personally, the game is decent. The multiplayer is fun, but I would never touch the game with single player. And I would definitely never buy it. I just play it at my friends'. :P

But the PS3 doesn't have a big known IP that matches Halo 3, thus why would people want to pay more for something that they think has less?

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

If cheaper price was all the consumer cared about, the Gamecube would've been the console to break 100 mil last gen. No, it's all about games, which the PS3 has been lacking all this time.Lionheart08

And if your statement were true, then the 360 would be ahead in this race. And the 360 does have the best library of games, so how is it losing to nintendo's wii if the 360 has the best library of games? See price does have something to do with that, but also certain type games. Wii fit is a good example, even though it isnt the best reviewed game but it sure does bring innovation and tons of fun.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

Halo 3 was the reason many many people bought an Xbox 360 over a PS3.

Personally, the game is decent. The multiplayer is fun, but I would never touch the game with single player. And I would definitely never buy it. I just play it at my friends'. :P

But the PS3 doesn't have a big known IP that matches Halo 3, thus why would people want to pay more for something that they think has less?

DragonfireXZ95

That will all change come june 12th. :)