Force Unleashed: Most unsatisfying combat ever?

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#1 GenTom
Member since 2005 • 5945 Posts

I mean comon, this game was alright.. but... what happened to the good old star wars games with dismemberment and where the corpses would stay around for longer than 3 seconds.. Theres just absolutely no weight or satisfaction (not in a sick way) of killing the stormtroopers in SWTFU.

Anyone agree/disagree?

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts
I think picking up a TIE Fighter and throwing it is pretty satisfying. Also at the end of the demo how you kill the AT-ST was very cool too.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

the combat is unsatifying because the bodies dont stay there?

you're right, game am fail.

not. :|

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
I thought the combat with the Lightsaber was pretty unsatisfying, but using the force or whatever and throwing stuff abot was probably the most thing about it, still not enough to make me want to buy it though.
GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GenTom

JPOBS

well no, not just that. As sick as i maybe with previous jedi knight games i've always enjoyed a bit of the ol' dismemberment :p Also i just find they're far too easy to kill.. and.. it's difficult to explain.. they just (to me at least) feel as if they have no substance to them (the bad guys)

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GenTom

JPOBS

well no, not just that. As sick as i maybe with previous jedi knight games i've always enjoyed a bit of the ol' dismemberment :p Also i just find they're far too easy to kill.. and.. it's difficult to explain.. they just (to me at least) feel as if they have no substance to them (the bad guys)

tccavey2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tccavey2
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts
I thought it was pretty fun. But I imagine the combat will get pretty boring after the third level.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Picking them up and flying them into walls and floors, only to chuck them off the edge of something is more satisfying then that.
angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

I think it was fun.

Not as good as KOTOR though :(

hongkingkong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 hongkingkong
Member since 2006 • 9368 Posts
gimmick game, its not meant to be strictly hardcore. It won't please us lot wholly but I bet you'd atleast like to play an hour or two.
Avatar image for Jack-o-Thompson
Jack-o-Thompson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Jack-o-Thompson
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts

So theres a demo out now? I gotta try this :)

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
I thought the combat was fun.
shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts
i liked it a lot and im gonna rent the game even though i hate star wars o so much
AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts
The controlls for throwing stuff was terrible. The lock on feature sucked and I barely could throw the stuff where I wanted.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts

The controlls for throwing stuff was terrible. The lock on feature sucked and I barely could throw the stuff where I wanted.AtrumRegina

Maybe it was different on 360, unless you did play it on PS3, but the one thing I found good was the controls, it was pretty tight, and things went where I wanted them to 95% of the time, out of everything, I missed my shot about twice.

shahchip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shahchip
Member since 2007 • 1282 Posts

[QUOTE="AtrumRegina"]The controlls for throwing stuff was terrible. The lock on feature sucked and I barely could throw the stuff where I wanted.110million

Maybe it was different on 360, unless you did play it on PS3, but the one thing I found good was the controls, it was pretty tight, and things went where I wanted them to 95% of the time, out of everything, I missed my shot about twice.

yeah same here..

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts

I loved the demo. The force grip and force push in particular was very satisfying to me. And I kept getting destruction bonuses by setting up chain reactions. :P

The lightsaber combat was also badass imo.

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
No, I enjoyed it. I'm sure it gets more fun as you develop more skills. It's not the deepest I ever played, but it's far from the worst. *Opens up can of worms* Morrowind was the most unsatisfying combat I've ever seen.
alexmurray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 alexmurray
Member since 2005 • 2665 Posts
I didnt like the force powers, I know they will be better on the real game but I want Happy
killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
It was just "meh" for me. Graphics and physics are very nice though.
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xire_XII
Member since 2007 • 3092 Posts

No, I agree with you. See, it's not like Ninja Gaiden where when you dismember someone they bleed like a stunt pig at Ol' Blood Fountain Mountain (excuse the analogy). Lightsaber dismemberment cauterizes the wounds so it's not so "brutal" or "cruel". Though sadly I think even that's too much to ask nowadays of the people and thinktanks that run the Star Wars brand as it doesn't fit into their Hasbro-Mattel-LEGO merchandising plans. Then again those who would want this may just be a bit too into violence or in fact, want that fictional "realism" to be brought up maturely.

Though I do think bodies, glass, and some other materials need to be left visible after destroying/killing. There are some items left when destroyed but I think the main point is this:

It's called 'The Force Unleashed'. We aren't using our powers to prove to Yoda that we can put mind over matter. We know already that we can lift X-Wings. What their pitch was is that we can destroy an entire room, bring down destroyers, and literally break anything in our path. Unlock regions and range of the The Force we've never seen before and it gives us the ability but not all of the reward. At least let us see the aftermath of our chaotic forces as the Sith Apprentice of Darth Vader.

After reading the book and comic book, having it explain some of the aftermath left in great detail. It's sad not to see it visualized in enough detail for the game. Then again, it's just the demo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5855efbca02a1
deactivated-5855efbca02a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#22 deactivated-5855efbca02a1
Member since 2005 • 9341 Posts
The controls made it nigh impossible to do anything kickass with the force, and some of the objects should be a but more weighty. The lightsabre combat is too slow paced, and the animations are dated. And the enemies had health bars floating above their heads, I thought we had moved out of that era by now!
Vistaer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vistaer
Member since 2003 • 231 Posts
I liked many parts of combat, including lightsaber pummeling, force grip, push, etc. and can ignore bodies disappearing, however, I -HATE- that "defend" makes you stand still, you can't deflect blaster shots back at enemies, and the "aiming" for what you want to force grip doesn't work all the time.
Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xire_XII

The controls made it nigh impossible to do anything kickass with the force, and some of the objects should be a but more weighty. The lightsabre combat is too slow paced, and the animations are dated. And the enemies had health bars floating above their heads, I thought we had moved out of that era by now!microwavedapple
In defense for the game, as I do still plan on getting it. You can go into the options and remove a lot of the HUD and the health bars. It makes it more pleasing to the eye.

By the way, Jedi Outcast and Knight had some neat lightsaber effects for dismemberment. I think it fit fairly nice. Here's a video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=svWH0f8wo-g

GenTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GenTom

[QUOTE="microwavedapple"]The controls made it nigh impossible to do anything kickass with the force, and some of the objects should be a but more weighty. The lightsabre combat is too slow paced, and the animations are dated. And the enemies had health bars floating above their heads, I thought we had moved out of that era by now!Xire_XII

In defense for the game, as I do still plan on getting it. You can go into the options and remove a lot of the HUD and the health bars. It makes it more pleasing to the eye.

By the way, Jedi Outcast and Knight had some neat lightsaber effects for dismemberment. I think it fit fairly nice. Here's a video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=svWH0f8wo-g

yeah thats exactly what i want. stormtroopers appear the size of actual people unlike TFU where they seem really small like little people. and the satisfaction of the combat and yes teh dismemberment is what star wars is all about! it's in the damn films fgs.

Jack_Bauer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jack_Bauer07
Member since 2006 • 1141 Posts
I thought the combat was alright and pretty traditional as far as Star Wars games go. However, I was disappointed with the amount of force powers and saber combat. Compared to the Jedi Knight series on the PC, this is a step back. Sure, it has pretty graphics and great physics but I don't think LucasArts will make another game as great as Jedi Knight Outcast.:( Will pick up The Force Unleashed when it's $30, though.
Flugigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Flugigo
Member since 2004 • 6766 Posts
it was alright. nothing spectacular or anything, but still fun
CronoSquall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CronoSquall
Member since 2008 • 915 Posts
Lightsabers in this game are colorful clubs, not swords. Very dissapointing, but maybe not game breaking. KOTOR had no dismemberment, and it was fantastic.
Gh0st_Of_0nyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Gh0st_Of_0nyx
Member since 2007 • 8992 Posts
I loved the combat in star wars TFU its oe of the resasons its a day on buy for me :D
N9ne-xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 N9ne-xx
Member since 2008 • 317 Posts

I mean comon, this game was alright.. but... what happened to the good old star wars games with dismemberment and where the corpses would stay around for longer than 3 seconds.. Theres just absolutely no weight or satisfaction (not in a sick way) of killing the stormtroopers in SWTFU.

Anyone agree/disagree?

GenTom

You know there would be dismemberment but..

then again, your parents, someone elses parents, will make a big deal out of all of it and call it graphic.
That's why we don't do things like that anymore, because everyone always makes a big deal about it like were going to get a light saber one day, somehow lift someonein the air and throw the saber at them :roll:
Parents acutally believe that.

That's why you don't see stuff like that more often.
But no the combat system in this game is pretty good.

Jack_Bauer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Jack_Bauer07
Member since 2006 • 1141 Posts
[QUOTE="GenTom"]

Anyone agree/disagree?

N9ne-xx

You know there would be dismemberment but..

then again, your parents, someone elses parents, will make a big deal out of all of it and call it graphic.
That's why we don't do things like that anymore, because everyone always makes a big deal about it like were going to get a light saber one day, somehow lift someonein the air and throw the saber at them :roll:
Parents acutally believe that.

That's why you don't see stuff like that more often.
But no the combat system in this game is pretty good.

Yup, this is a huge step back from Jedi Outcast, which was a far better game as far as combat and dismemberment. Then again it was only on one platform, the PC. TFU is on what, five platforms? Developers cut corners and don't want a protest from parents that bought the Wii version for their kids.

Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Xire_XII

Lightsabers in this game are colorful clubs, not swords. Very dissapointing, but maybe not game breaking. KOTOR had no dismemberment, and it was fantastic.CronoSquall
KOTOR is probably the best line of Star Wars games to be conceived and it didn't have to have dismemberment. It was an RPG, not an action title like Force Unleashed is. I'm sure if Mortal Kombat was turned into an RPG from a fighting game, we'd see less fatalities. Oh wait, that's already happening. :D

Then again, in the defense of LucasArts for why there's less lightsaber combat/effects. It's called the Force Unleashed not "Soresu Meltdown".

N9ne-xx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 N9ne-xx
Member since 2008 • 317 Posts

^^^

I was the king of Jedi Knight Outcast and Jedi Academy hah.

But for those games you had to put it in on your command stuff it wasn't already there.
I miss those games i think i should install them again.

TemplaerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 TemplaerDude
Member since 2003 • 15254 Posts

Mowing through dozens of Stormtroopers and what not with a lightsaber (of all things) and seeing them just fall down with a grunt is the most unsatisfying thing ever. If Outcast can have dismemberment, than it is a huge step backwards for FU to not.

KOTOR was an RPG, not an action game. It could have gotten away with both and still been awesome. An action game consisting of unsatisfying deaths that look like your opponents just got beat with a plank of wood instead of a futuristic beam of energy that can cut through almost anything with ease?

Fail. Boring.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

It is no Jedi Knight Outcast, thats for sure.

I mean why do the stormtroopers take alot of lightsaber hits to die? In Outcast it only took a good swipe or two and you see their arms come off. Why is this not possible in this one?

It feels too arcadey. I am still getting the game anyway, most of the time the full game is better than the demo.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
fine by me, i enjoyed the demo, now the only thing im hoping for is a good story
SuperVegeta518

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SuperVegeta518
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
I didn't like the lightsaber combat but using the force was fun.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
The lightsaber combat is the unsatisfying part. The Euphoria and DMM characters and enviorments respectively, are definetly satisfying. I just love tossing the storm troopers into each other and chasing them around with floating objects.
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#39 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

i agree, it wasn't too satisfying

then i replayed the demo on easy and it was much better!

Xire_XII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Xire_XII

fine by me, i enjoyed the demo, now the only thing im hoping for is a good storyDante2710
Story is pretty good. I've read the book and the comic book so I can say with confidence that it's a pretty good story. Nothing mind blowing but it's good.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
The last great lucasarts game was Jedi Outcast/Xwing Alliance.. Ever sense then their games have been awful..
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#42 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
well... it's no Jedi Academy
final_fortress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 final_fortress
Member since 2008 • 177 Posts
no star wars game will beat the lightsaber combat of jedi knight 2, except for maybe if jedi knight 4 is released. (jedi knight 3 wasnt as good to me as 2)
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
no the combat is good
superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts
i enjoyed the demo. havent touch a action hack nd slash type game for awhile now. the force powers with great physics was awesome! im def get this game
GootHimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GootHimp
Member since 2008 • 581 Posts
I was gonna buy it but now i am not sure, prolly wont
superjim42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 superjim42
Member since 2005 • 3588 Posts
what did ppl hate about it exactly? i thought it was great! especially the openess of the levels and the whole rpg element..well kinda where you level up and upgrade abilities
starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
If only we had a multiplayer mode to enrich the experience... OH wait! Wii owners do :P
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#49 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
The combat is really fun -- but I get what you mean, doesn't matter to me much.
Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21706 Posts
Lucasarts should get back to developing the next Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game IMO. A new X-wing vs. Tie Fighter would be good too.