Final Fantasy 7 is the mosy overrated game ever

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demonslayer228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 demonslayer228
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts
Really. This game is not thaat great. The story was bland and boring and was obvious. The characters did not have tto much of any development. The gameplay was boring too and random battles. Overrrated. The graphics were horrible even at that time.
x_SuperMario_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 x_SuperMario_x
Member since 2008 • 1665 Posts
Umm, thanks for sharing?
DA_B0MB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DA_B0MB
Member since 2005 • 9938 Posts
When did you play it and did you beat it?
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
The fact that so many people like it is possibly a testament to it's quality, to be honest.
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
its a final fantasy game, every game is made to get good scores, just because of the well known name. Even if the game is mediocre it will still get over and 8.0
demonslayer228

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 demonslayer228
Member since 2008 • 174 Posts

When did you play it and did you beat it?DA_B0MB

1999 and once again. I didn't like it than and now.

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
I hated it when I first played it, but I was only like 7 years old or something and I didn't understand the whole turn based gameplay too well. Im prepared to give turn based games another try though.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
That award, I'm afraid, goes to Oblivion.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
Thats your taste, the majority will disagree. It was probably the most complete JRPG I have ever played.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts
I would disagree. What is your favorite game?
Avatar image for deactivated-58319077a6477
deactivated-58319077a6477

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-58319077a6477
Member since 2007 • 4954 Posts
I'm surprised it came from someone who has an avatar of a FF7 character, but anyway most games are overrated.
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts
Most games like Ocarina of Time and FF7 were released when a lot of today gamers were kids, and thats probably why they thought it was so great. If they played it now, it probably wouldn't seem the same game. Kind of like Dragon Ball Z
Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Bubblehash
Member since 2004 • 2914 Posts
Blog it cause nobody cares. Your not going to change anybodies opinion of the game. It was my favorite game of all times and after reading your post guess what. It is still my favorite game of all times.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

I'm not sure where to start with this one, so I'll start here: It sounds like you're trolling.

You reviewed crisis core and wrote "Ahsome rpg on the psp THis game is really good not as good as the oredgenal final fantasy 7"

I'll assume you meant "not as good as the original". When I opened up the full review I felt like I was in the middle of a rant coming from a a twelve year old.

Now, I would assume you're either really bored and decided to make some really bad flamebait, or you're using this example to compare it to all the other "X is the most overrated game ever". X being any modern, popular game.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
NO its not. HOw about you go back to the day it was actually worth praising compared to the games from back then.
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiretoss
Member since 2006 • 3030 Posts
I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.wiretoss

I know people like this. Makes me feel homicidal.

unknowndrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 unknowndrk
Member since 2006 • 694 Posts
Final Fantasy 7 was my second favorite RPG of all time. Xenogears is my #1 rpg of all time since the story was just amazing...final fantasy 7 had more options in its gameplay over xenogears but xenogears I thought won hands down in terms of story telling. FF7 had an amazing story too though.
Bubblehash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bubblehash
Member since 2004 • 2914 Posts
I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.wiretoss
There is only one thing wrong with your logic. The fact that FF7 came out in 1997. If they are 14, that would mean they played the game when they were 3. You should probably rethink your statement. I am in my 30's.
linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts

so....you think no one that likes the game....has played the game?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
agreed the game was bad, stroyline was crap, character development was crap, the only good thing was the materia system.
ANumber1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ANumber1
Member since 2005 • 304 Posts

That award, I'm afraid, goes to Oblivion.RobbieH1234

This = Truth

Final Fanasy VII is a good game, one I've invested an unhealthy amount of time in over the last ten-plus years, but I will agree it is slightly overated. It is far from the be all, end all, of the Final Fantasy series, much less the JRPG genre (Story wise, of course), but that still doesn't change the fact that it is, unquestionably, one of the conerstone titles in gaming history.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Ragnarok1051

Joke post?

shufu7-11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 shufu7-11
Member since 2006 • 943 Posts
I haven't played it in about five years, so I don't remember all the details. I do, however, remeber that I enjoyed it quite a bit. It's not the greatest of all time, but it's pretty darn good none the less.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Now it probably is.

Back then, No

rockguy92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rockguy92
Member since 2007 • 21559 Posts
This was locked in the PS3 forum.
kidcool189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kidcool189
Member since 2008 • 4307 Posts

I'm not sure where to start with this one, so I'll start here: It sounds like you're trolling.

You reviewed crisis core and wrote "Ahsome rpg on the psp THis game is really good not as good as the oredgenal final fantasy 7"

I'll assume you meant "not as good as the original". When I opened up the full review I felt like I was in the middle of a rant coming from a a twelve year old.

Now, I would assume you're either really bored and decided to make some really bad flamebait, or you're using this example to compare it to all the other "X is the most overrated game ever". X being any modern, popular game.

MTBare

lmao, so true

point, set and match
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wiretoss
[QUOTE="wiretoss"]I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.Bubblehash
There is only one thing wrong with your logic. The fact that FF7 came out in 1997. If they are 14, that would mean they played the game when they were 3. You should probably rethink your statement. I am in my 30's.

Hmm.. so you're saying it's impossible to play an older game at a later time?! I CAN'T PLAY CRONO TRIGGER?! MADNESS, I SAY.
wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiretoss

[QUOTE="wiretoss"]I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.linkin_guy109

The word "entire" is being used as a very general term.
Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ragnarok1051
[QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

[QUOTE="wiretoss"]I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.wiretoss

Do explain then. When I read what you wrote it sounds to me like you think anyone who likes FF7 is a 14 year old emo kid.

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts

and THPS3.

But yeah I think FF7 is a great game but it is a tad overrated. I liked FF8 + 9 much more.

wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wiretoss
[QUOTE="wiretoss"][QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

[QUOTE="wiretoss"]I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.Ragnarok1051

Do explain then. When I read what you wrote it sounds to me like you think anyone who likes FF7 is a 14 year old emo kid.

Lol quit trying to jump all over people for what they say. Does it offend you that I think you're a 14 year old? LOL. Not like I meant it that way anyawys. Everyone I know IN REAL LIFE that likes the game are anime fanboys/girls. That and it seems a lot of people on the internet have a hard time differentiating between what is to be taken literally and what is to be taken lightly. You failed that test. Rofl.
LanDC77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 LanDC77
Member since 2005 • 1415 Posts

[QUOTE="Bubblehash"][QUOTE="wiretoss"]I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.wiretoss

Hmm.. so you're saying it's impossible to play an older game at a later time?! I CAN'T PLAY CRONO TRIGGER?! MADNESS, I SAY.

I played it in 2007 and liked it, I don't care when the game came out just as long as its good.

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts

I'd argue that, but seeing as I'm sick of arguing on the subject...

FFVII isn't close to the most overrated game of all time. Maybe a bit overrated by fans, as it's one of the more predictable FF's with some weaker "main" characters and especially the ending.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

I cant believe people are complaining about the story, it was far more unique and interesting than most of the other itterations.

FF10 = Boring 1 track story, which lets face it, SIN was lame, the only reason people get so worked up about FF10 is it brought a much better level of presentation... other than that, it was bland other than a few emotional segements.

FF9 = Cheesiest most immature one of them all.

FF8 = Bar the love emotional moments again, was abit above average.

FF6 ... I dont see the appeal to this, I dont care what anyone says.

FF12 story wise was a disaster, its characters were lifeless.

GazzaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#36 GazzaB
Member since 2004 • 27139 Posts

mosy lol.

Anyway, im playing through it atm (very slowly might I add) and i think its been great so far. I can only imagine how id have felt about it had i bought it at release.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

Final Fantasy 7 was a great game but it does get more credit than it probably deserves. I think a lot of people who called it the best RPG ever made only said so because it was their first RPG, never playing any of the NES or SNES versions until they were released for the PS1. Then they're the fanboys who love it because it was probably THE game that cost the N64 the race against the PS1 and helped start their reign as number 1. It was one of the best Final Fantasy games but I liked VI and XII a little more.

And I'm pretty sure this will get locked by the end of the day.

wiretoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 wiretoss

I cant believe people are complaining about the story, it was far more unique and interesting than most of the other itterations.

FF10 = Boring 1 track story, which lets face it, SIN was lame, the only reason people get so worked up about FF10 is it brought a much better level of presentation... other than that, it was bland other than a few emotional segements.

FF9 = Cheesiest most immature one of them all.

FF6 ... I dont see the appeal to this, I dont care what anyone says.

FF12 story wise was a disaster, its characters were lifeless.

Meu2k7
I thought it was really deep. Did you beat it?
raskullibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 raskullibur
Member since 2003 • 3390 Posts
FF7 si better than LoZ:OOT I have have played both on their time of release.
Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
FF7 was TERRIBLE.
Vax45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vax45
Member since 2005 • 4834 Posts

Can someone please explain why something is overrated when the majority likes it?

I personally hate FFVIII but I don't go around screaming it's overrated.

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ragnarok1051
[QUOTE="Ragnarok1051"][QUOTE="wiretoss"][QUOTE="linkin_guy109"]

[QUOTE="wiretoss"]I agree. I secretly think the entire FF VII fanbase is emo 14 year old boys and girls that are into anime and just started liking FF VII once the movie came out. They probably haven't even played the game.wiretoss

Lol quit trying to jump all over people for what they say. Does it offend you that I think you're a 14 year old? LOL. Not like I meant it that way anyawys. Everyone I know IN REAL LIFE that likes the game are anime fanboys/girls. That and it seems a lot of people on the internet have a hard time differentiating between what is to be taken literally and what is to be taken lightly. You failed that test. Rofl.

The failure lies with you for generalizing against an entire fan base. Way to go.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
What I've never understood is how people call the story "original" and "great" when it is nothing but a reinterpretation of FFVI.
[spoiler]  [/spoiler]
Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Saturos3091

Meu2k7

Well, I find it to be more typical of a JRPG because FFVII basically pounded in the archetypes of many character roles in a JRPG. The "all powerful" bad guy, an angsty main lead, the cheerful/loving cleric, the tough bartender girl, the "badass" guy, the aloof guy (similar to angsty main lead), and not to forget various talking furry sidekicks were all major characters in the game.

Sephiroth, despite being pretty average as character development goes, is incredibly well portrayed and his story well told, plus the fight with him is built up to quite nicely. Cloud and Sephiroth were the only characters by the end of the game that I really cared about as far as story goes, although I always thought Barret and Vincent were cool (Tifa got annoying). Cloud and Sephiroth's stories were incredibly well told and interwoven, much like the love-based emotional segments in FFVIII between Rinoa and Squall. The ending was weak though, *10 year old spoilers ahead* after the meteor hits a flash of light and Aeris' face is shown, then it's over. *end of 10 year old spoilers* I feel the "darker" atmosphere was more pushed that it should've been, as the character design doesn't complement it well. The story was still strong enough and captivating enough to warrant a couple playthroughs though, it's not like it was downright bad.

I personally love FFVIII more than all the other FF's due to it's (once again) well portrayed and excellently developed main characters, although FFVI is almost as good.
hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

Saturos3091

Well, I find it to be more typical of a JRPG because FFVII basically pounded in the archetypes of many character roles in a JRPG. The "all powerful" bad guy, an angsty main lead, the cheerful/loving cleric, the tough bartender girl, the "badass" guy, the aloof guy (similar to angsty main lead), and not to forget various talking furry sidekicks were all in major characters in the game.

Sephiroth, despite being pretty average as character development goes, is incredibly well portrayed and his story is well told, plus the fight with him is built up to quite nicely. Cloud and Sephiroth were the only characters by the end of the game that I really cared about as far as story goes, although I always thought Barret and Vincent were cool (Tifa got annoying). Cloud and Sephiroth's stories were incredibly well told and interwoven, much like the love-based emotional segments in FFVIII between Rinoa and Squall. The ending was weak though, *10 year old spoilers ahead* after the meteor hits a flash of light and Aeris' face is shown, then it's over. *end of 10 year old spoilers* I feel the "darker" atmosphere was more pushed that it should've been, as the character design doesn't complement it well. The story was still strong enough and captivating enough to warrant a couple playthroughs though, it's not like it was downright bad.

I personally love FFVIII more than all the other FF's due to it's (once again) well portrayed and excellently developed main characters, although FFVI is almost as good.

I can only partly agree with that. I loved the development in the beginning, but when they dropped that bombshell that that had always been friends since kids and they forgot due to GFs I was like WTF. (in FF VIII)

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts

Really. This game is not thaat great. The story was bland and boring and was obvious. The characters did not have tto much of any development. The gameplay was boring too and random battles. Overrrated. The graphics were horrible even at that time.demonslayer228

Well that's you against the mast majority of people that liked it (nice FF7 avatar btw)

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Saturos3091

I can only partly agree with that. I loved the development in the beginning, but when they dropped that bombshell that that had always been friends since kids and they forgot due to GFs I was like WTF. (in FF VIII)

hayato_

Yeah, that part lost me at first. They should've just gotten rid of that not-so-original idea. It's been done before and it wasn't liked then either. I'm more referring to the main dynamically developed main characters (Squall and Rinoa) though. Their development over the course of the story is quite amazing. The supporting characters (Quistis, Irvine, Zell, Selfie, etc.) all fulfilled their role in the story nicely as well, although they could've been more developed if they were the main focus of the story (which they weren't, so it's all good).
Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts

[QUOTE="DA_B0MB"]When did you play it and did you beat it?demonslayer228

1999 and once again. I didn't like it than and now.

Then you missed its time. By 99 we already had FF VIII and PE 2 and RE 3 which were graphically better games. By 97, the only comparable thing was SM 64, but even SM 64 had no CGs. CGs made FF what it is today. Even a persona like me, who doesnt like FF VII as much as other FF games acknowledges how great it was. You are just trying to get post or something.

Graphics for 97 standards were amazing. The OST is among the best Nobuo has done, and actually, the best that has been done in videogames too. The CGI graphics were awesome back in the day, who didnt pissed their pants with the Weapons awakening? The plot is something that cannot be judged, since that goes to personal opinion, but imo, its among the best plots done, but suffered from a poor translation (main reason most hardcore fans, I included) want remakes of FF VII-IX. A great list of spells, a varied combat system that could be either exploited or not. A long journey that could last from 30 to 100 hours (its a big jump considering previous FF could be finished completely in 60 hours). Tons of mini games to keep the game fresh. Tons of summons and spell (sorry for repeating) that will keep you using new stuff. Lots of secrets including 2 secret characters and many secret weapons, spells, summons, items.

FF VII offered a great jump from FF VI, and though the quality of both is pretty much debatable (old school will go with VI while new comers go with VII), FF VII changed JRPGs and setted the quality bar by which they are judged today. If a game that does all that doesnt deserve its praise, then I dont know what does. Its kind of saying that the first RE sucked, or that the first Zeldas were lame, or that SMB was a bad repetitive games.

Avatar image for kenshinhimura16
kenshinhimura16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kenshinhimura16
Member since 2005 • 7009 Posts
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

Saturos3091

Yeah, that part lost me at first. They should've just gotten rid of that not-so-original idea. It's been done before and it wasn't liked then either. I'm more referring to the main dynamically developed main characters (Squall and Rinoa) though. Their development over the course of the story is quite amazing. The supporting characters (Quistis, Irvine, Zell, Selfie, etc.) all fulfilled their role in the story nicely as well, although they could've been more developed if they were the main focus of the story (which they weren't, so it's all good).

I liked that part, it had to do with the phylosophy of sacrificing your inner self for greater power. Its turned into a very cliche situation now though, but in 98 it was used much, the whole thing of loosing what makes you human to get more powerfull.

FragTycoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FragTycoon
Member since 2008 • 6430 Posts

TC.. I disagree.

see how simple that is :P