Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 SuperfluousReal
Member since 2019 • 361 Posts

Own it on both PC & 360.

Still cannot invest enough mental focus to finish the game. Excellent looking game for it's time, excellent physics and excellent AI.

Lackluster story, boring same play style the entire game and enemies are the same with very little nuance. Environments are bland, dark and boring and you have a little girl that fails to scare you.

I think it's ok if you have your head stuck in graphics and technicalities, but as a game.. meh.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#2 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25052 Posts

No. its one of the best FPS ever made. a masterpiece.

No game today has better combat than FEAR. literally none.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 SuperfluousReal

@ghosts4ever said:

DOOM is 750 times better for combat.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I liked it back in the day but its not all its cracked up to be.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ghosts4ever

@superfluousreal said:
@ghosts4ever said:

no not really. but its close.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61530 Posts

Gameplay-wise, at release, the game was euphoric. Absolutely fantastic. However, I couldn't even tell you the story nowadays, so to me it wasn't that memorable.

SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperfluousReal

@ghosts4ever said:
@superfluousreal said:
@ghosts4ever said:

no not really. but its close.

What is so great about FEAR for it's combat in your opinion?

My opinion is that, going and playing the Call of Duty 4 training mission at the beginning is like playing FEAR.

Those boards are essentially the enemies, they all look the same, however they may pop in a different sequence!

The only real difference is you have no SAS operative breathing down your neck telling you what to do, and you get a way darker scenario and some strange little girl.

I begin to wonder if people even played FEAR.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19594 Posts

FEAR had great gunplay and really nice graphics when it came out.

Still...it also had bland environments, repetitive enemies, predictable jump scares, and a really weak final act.

I never thought the game was amazing back in the day. It played great, but the rest of the game was mediocre.

SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SuperfluousReal

@Planeforger said:

FEAR had great gunplay and really nice graphics when it came out.

Still...it also had bland environments, repetitive enemies, predictable jump scares, and a really weak final act.

I never thought the game was amazing back in the day. It played great, but the rest of the game was mediocre.

I like this video on it, as i said it's an OK game, it does do some stuff well... but a lot badly too.

Loading Video...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58489 Posts

If anything, I don't think people mention it often enough.

Has held up very well both visually and mechanically. Very few games do slo-mo as well as FEAR. Very few shooters let the player feel so connected to what was going on in the world.

It was a brilliant game with some disappointing sequels (not that terrible, though, I had fun with them). Personally, I enjoyed the story, the whole military-industrial thing going on, like a Weyland-Yutani predecessor :D

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#11 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

I remember seeing the FEAR demo at my friends house on his gaming PC back in 2005 and it blew my mind.

the actual combat was fantastic. you felt like such a badass with the slow-mo, meaty gunplay and various kick moves/melee attacks. the weapons were great as well.

not overrated in my books. worth of classic status

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10538 Posts

it may not have ticked every single box as a game - the horror element was used far too sparingly - but for its time it was mechanically marvellous and a fantastic shooter. landmark even. the sequels fell of a cliff unfortunately.

but like many great titles of the past, many years later people start to emerge to re-label them as overrated. file alongside half life 2. and particularly with hl2 it's often people that didn't play it at launch. they pretend they did but they really didn't. not saying this is the case here, but worth noting

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I think people who really loved FEAR haven't played a lot of FPS games to compare it to. The graphics at the time were okay but the gameplay was SO dull. Even for the time... play Half Life then go and play FEAR the difference was absolutely night and day. One a hugely enjoyable experience with fantastic gunplay, the other was, well... FEAR.

Really mundane drab environments even for a linear shooter the only game that looked more dull and boring was Quake 3 which was actually only a demo for ID's new game engine at the time. I always thought the point of playing FEAR was to see if you could stay awake long enough to get to the good bits (the supernatural stuff). I never did.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By with_teeth26
@blueinheaven said:

I think people who really loved FEAR haven't played a lot of FPS games to compare it to. The graphics at the time were okay but the gameplay was SO dull. Even for the time... play Half Life then go and play FEAR the difference was absolutely night and day. One a hugely enjoyable experience with fantastic gunplay, the other was, well... FEAR.

Really mundane drab environments even for a linear shooter the only game that looked more dull and boring was Quake 3 which was actually only a demo for ID's new game engine at the time. I always thought the point of playing FEAR was to see if you could stay awake long enough to get to the good bits (the supernatural stuff). I never did.

if you found the combat/gameplay in FEAR dull you were playing it wrong.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#15 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Nah it's one of the best playing FPS games of all time. You hate fun.

SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperfluousReal

@Macutchi said:

it may not have ticked every single box as a game - the horror element was used far too sparingly - but for its time it was mechanically marvellous and a fantastic shooter. landmark even. the sequels fell of a cliff unfortunately.

but like many great titles of the past, many years later people start to emerge to re-label them as overrated. file alongside half life 2. and particularly with hl2 it's often people that didn't play it at launch. they pretend they did but they really didn't. not saying this is the case here, but worth noting

I am likely to agree here actually, i did not play FEAR at launch so i did miss the bus with it perhaps.

I do enjoy HL2.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts
@with_teeth26 said:
@blueinheaven said:

Is that a fact? What should I have done to fool myself into thinking it wasn't really predictable, linear and boring? Should I have tried to play it while standing on my head? Maybe placed a mirror adjacent to the monitor so I could try and guess where the enemy would turn up even though it was the same place every time? Should I have worn multicolour goggles to pretend the graphics weren't really dull and boring?

I am waiting for your top FEAR tips so I can enjoy what I erroneously thought was mundane worthless drivel compared to countless far better FPS games I could mention.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Nope, still the best FPS ever, modern FPS games cannot compete with it.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3702 Posts

Decent enough shooter, falls flat on its face when it comes to horror. I laughed more than I was frightened.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56372 Posts

All you need to know is, I enjoy F.E.A.R trilogy back in the day, it's still decent FPS and the first F.E.A.R game predates Crysis.

JohnnyGT1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JohnnyGT1
Member since 2012 • 147 Posts

FEAR is an awesome. Using a shotgun in a tight area in slow motion you can feel/see the impact it causes to your enemies and the wall behind it. Also the nail gun was fun to use too.

SuperfluousReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SuperfluousReal

@davillain- said:

All you need to know is, I enjoy F.E.A.R trilogy back in the day, it's still decent FPS and the first F.E.A.R game predates Crysis.

I find Crysis as even worse.

I played Warhead all the way though, was decent, the first game though...

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Gameplay-wise, I still think it still holds up compared to FPSes released this gen(lol @ open world FPSes). The AI was great, but that was due to the excellent map design and gunplay that was the core of FEAR. The story and characters and "horror" however, not so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

It's a solid 3 out of 5. Slow mo makes even the hardest difficulty so trivial.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

F.E.A.R. is anything but overrated like mentioned before no FPS has topped it's combat nothing.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#26 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

It was alright. I got really tired of seeing the same hallways, offices, and identical looking enemies over and over. I enjoyed the sequels more.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59296 Posts

Main criticism towards the original would be repetitive environments. Almost the entire game takes place in a single area with mostly the same enemies. In this regard Fear is poor compared to something like Halflife 2 which constantly shifts.

However, it's actual combat encounters are still arguably the best in the business to the point that it largely overcomes it's repetitiveness.

Story-telling for it's genre is fairly decent as well. Nothing original at all, just told fairly well.

Fear 2 is a bad game, didn't bother with the others. But the original I will happily play every X years.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@uninspiredcup said:

Main criticism towards the original would be repetitive environments. Almost the entire game takes place in a single area with mostly the same enemies. In this regard Fear is poor compared to something like Halflife 2 which constantly shifts.

However, it's actual combat encounters are still arguably the best in the business to the point that it largely overcomes it's repetitiveness.

Story-telling for it's genre is fairly decent as well. Nothing original at all, just told fairly well.

Fear 2 is a bad game, didn't bother with the others. But the original I will happily play every X years.

It sure is, for me it's the most disappointing sequel in gaming history and it bothers me to this day that F.E.A.R. really never got a proper sequel that could live up or be better then the first game.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29  Edited By the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Yeah, no. I played FEAR at launch, and still replay it once every couple years. The horror isn't great (very few games do horror well) but it's aged wonderfully in both graphics and gameplay. The gunplay is still among the best in gaming history.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34753 Posts

Story was poop, villains were cliché, filled with lame jump scares. Aside from that, it had amazing graphics and gameplay. I'd say it's a bit underrated, I just see hardcore PC gamers praise it. It should be more known.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9154 Posts

its underrated series for me i love fear series own it on xbox 360 too bad fear 4 not coming after all

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

@superfluousreal: Disagree. I thought the story was actually better than most FPS, and games in general. The gunplay was and still is fantastic. The environments did get a bit repetitive, and more enemy variety would've been nice, but those agile ninja type guys you encounter near the end of the game were amazing with the way they could climb into the roof and move around the environment.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 uninspiredcup

@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It sure is, for me it's the most disappointing sequel in gaming history and it bothers me to this day that F.E.A.R. really never got a proper sequel that could live up or be better then the first game.

Yes. Instead of moving forward it acts more as a console focused reboot and in doing so, puts a gun to it's own temple.

Same with Crysis 2, really.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10538 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Yes. Instead of moving forward it acts more as a console focused reboot and in doing so, puts a gun to it's own temple.

quite literally

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup

@Macutchi said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

quite literally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Macutchi said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@warmblur said:
@uninspiredcup said:

quite literally

Yep, I've said it before Crysis and the F.E.A.R. had the same fate and history in alot of ways the first games and expansion packs were awesome but once the series went multiplatform the games got dumbed down and it ruined the sequels. It's one of the most frustrating things to ever happen in PC gaming these franchise had so much potential but they just turned into generic bargain bin games I blame consoles and COD4 for this shit.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8505 Posts

Nope. And I would appreciate if Monolith goes back to these kind of games. I would even take a remake/remaster of the first FEAR.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
deactivated-5d0a4c3876874

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d0a4c3876874
Member since 2019 • 180 Posts

Lol tell that to Ghost4ever. (Or his nickname Sniper)

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7285 Posts

It was good for the time the atmosphere kept me going for a while but can't help feel it would be slightly dated. A full remake with up to date controls would be good to see.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46614 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:

FEAR's shooting absolutely sucks. It has some of the weakest feeling gunplay in an FPS period.

Calling it a great game is one thing, because there is more to it than the shooting. But calling it one of the best FPS is just laughable.

Go play: Battlefield V, Insurgency Sandstorm, Wolfenstein The New Order, Killing Floor 2, Rising Storm 2 and compare those games' shooting to FEAR.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

FEAR's shooting absolutely sucks. It has some of the weakest feeling gunplay in an FPS period.

Calling it a great game is one thing, because there is more to it than the shooting. But calling it one of the best FPS is just laughable.

Go play: Battlefield V, Insurgency Sandstorm, Wolfenstein The New Order, Killing Floor 2, Rising Storm 2 and compare those games' shooting to FEAR.

LOL wolfenstein. FEAR is so much better than that trash.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k
@ghosts4ever said:

Uh-huh. Wolfenstein The New Order shooting > FEAR shooting

Prove me wrong.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup

Loading Video...
Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

Uh-huh. Wolfenstein The New Order shooting > FEAR shooting

Prove me wrong.

slo mo shooting with shotgun never get old.

in wolfenstein guns sound like water.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 R4gn4r0k

@uninspiredcup: I know FEAR, I've played it several times. It can have spectacular looking fire fights. And I'm not claiming FEAR didn't do anything right...

But the shooting itself just isn't fun though :/

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 with_teeth26
@blueinheaven said:
@with_teeth26 said:
@blueinheaven said:

Is that a fact? What should I have done to fool myself into thinking it wasn't really predictable, linear and boring? Should I have tried to play it while standing on my head? Maybe placed a mirror adjacent to the monitor so I could try and guess where the enemy would turn up even though it was the same place every time? Should I have worn multicolour goggles to pretend the graphics weren't really dull and boring?

I am waiting for your top FEAR tips so I can enjoy what I erroneously thought was mundane worthless drivel compared to countless far better FPS games I could mention.

play with a keyboard and mouse, liberal use of slow mo, grenades and melee attacks, run around like a maniac and you should have a great time

dull environments and visuals (especially if you play it now) is a valid criticism but the actual combat model is sublime

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44662 Posts

Only in the sense people think so highly of it but shit on the second one, which I liked better.

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

I remember you needed a powerhouse of a PC to play it at full potential.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#49 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Can you shoot lamp?

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

It had absolutely glorious gunplay at the time, fantastic atmosphere, and amazing enemy AI.