Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Splinter Cell is one of the most popular franchises from Ubisoft. There are a lot of games in the series and different people prefer different games for different reasons. So here are major Splinter Cell games, that Ubisoft has released so far.

Splinter Cell

Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Splinter Cell: Double Agent

Splinter Cell: Essentials

Splinter Cell: Conviction

Splinter Cell: Blacklist

I think my favorite is Splinter Cell: Double Agent (7th Gen Version). It is a lot different than previous games but meanwhile it is also a Splinter Cell game. This game has more variety in locations than all the previous games in the series.

The game takes you to China where you stand on ledge of a tall building to hear conversation, then few minutes later you explore a location with sub zero temperature, soon you find yourself in the middle of a battle in Africa, after that your enemies take you to their headquarter as their ally and so on.

Day time missions were also a nice addition to the franchise. Just like previous games there were multiple ways to complete your objectives. There were bonus objectives that you could complete but the game didn't force you to complete them. Completing these objectives reward you with new gadgets that give you more options to complete your task.

The villain in the game was also pretty solid. Voice acting of his character and pretty much every character in the game, including Sam Fisher's was amazing. I also liked the way you had to keep both JBA (your enemies) and NSA (your allies) happy.

If you disappoint JBA too much then your cover blows and your mission fails. Same happens if you fail your allies at NSA. So, it was a nice touch that forced you to make some uneasy decisions throughout the game that also affected the outcome of the game.

Last thing that I want to mention are the graphics. I was blown away by the visuals back then. Locations were so well detailed, and character models felt revolutionary. Facial animations were so awesome. So yeah,,, Splinter Cell: Double Agent is my favorite game in the series followed by Chaos Theory.

What about you?

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Chaos Theory is without a doubt the best.

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Blacklist ranks among my favorite games so it's my pick here.

casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Playing splinter cell is like watching paint dry.

Boring series with paint by the numbers gameplay

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22885 Posts

The first three are interchangeable for me... And having not revisited them in a while, they could feel antiquated by today's standards, but the first game was the one I replayed the most... PT and CT multiple times as well.

I also have this weird soft spot in my heart for Conviction. Played it through several times and didn't have many bad things to say. It wasn't a traditional Splinter cell for better AND worse, but it encouraged multiple playthrough for me. Dunno. Really liked it. Coop was rad too.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 285

User Lists: 37

#6  Edited By heguain  Online
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

Same as you, Splinter Cell Double Agent is my favourite followed by Chaos Theory, while Conviction is my worst. Double Agent is maybe short, but it's well designed, challenging, had awesome story, choices, secondary objectives, ending, soundtrack by Michael McCann (HD version), nice environments plus, I like the bald Sam. You could say, currently it's my favourite Stealth game, only if you consider Deus Ex HR as hybrid (Stealth + RPG). I didn't play Thief yet, so that may change.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44658 Posts

I never got to try Blacklist, I played all the rest but never felt any particular one was my favorite. I guess the first game probably impressed me most in its time. I almost always preferred Splinter Cell over MGS games but with the latest MGS5 games I'm a bigger fan of what they did there at the end.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@casharmy said:

Playing splinter cell is like watching paint dry.

Boring series with paint by the numbers gameplay

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23725 Posts

Chaos Theory pretty easily.

Did a series play through recently and that was the one thing that remained the same.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59290 Posts

Surprisingly, as it's a modern game from Ubisoft, and the trailer made it appear awful - I'd go with Blacklist on it's highest difficulty,

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner

@uninspiredcup said:

Surprisingly, as it's a modern game from Ubisoft, and the trailer made it appear awful - I'd go with Blacklist on it's highest difficulty, it's a challenging game without being cheap.

Blacklist really is one of the best. Nothing like the Conviction 2 that some people make it out to be.

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

chaos theory was the last splinter cell i played. so chaos theory for sure then #1

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#13 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I know people dont like it, but I liked Conviction a lot. The best for me would be between conviction and double agent. Blacklist is by far the worst splinter cell game

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#14 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

Chaose Theory. It was such a huge leap in the series. Double Agent, either version, was awesome too. I'm a huge fan of the series anyway, but those two are incredible.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner

@aigis said:

I know people dont like it, but I liked Conviction a lot. The best for me would be between conviction and double agent. Blacklist is by far the worst splinter cell game

lol

I'm not confused about you liking Conviction... but I am confused as to how Conviction could be one of your favorites and yet you consider Blacklist to be by far the worst. That's a new one to me.

I do like Conviction though. I hated it on my first play through because it just wasn't Splinter Cell. When I replayed it earlier this year though, I found that I do like the game. It's a good game, just not what I want from a Splinter Cell game. If they would have just replaced Sam Fisher with Jack Bauer and called it 24, I would have been more open to it initially.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Chaos Theory>Blacklist>conviction>Pandora tomorrow>splinter cell>that shitty cross platform one I forget the name of where you kill lambert

Known

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Known
Member since 2016 • 18 Posts

id have to go with the first splinter cell. ironically its also my dads favorite game. the reason I like this is because on the hardest difficulty splinter cell is both challenging and realistic, something I love to play. unfortunately as the series progressed it got dumbed down and eventually became a piece of garbage. the good old days of talent and hardcore skill are long gone.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ConanTheStoner

@mems_1224 said:

Chaos Theory>Blacklist>conviction>Pandora tomorrow>splinter cell>that shitty cross platform one I forget the name of where you kill lambert

I'd swap Conviction and PT, but otherwise that's my list.

I couldn't believe how much I disliked Double Agent on my recent play through. It was the one game I couldn't bring myself to finish, and I actually enjoyed that shit when it launched on 360 years back. Somehow they managed to make boring levels out of some cool environment choices. Then the JBA shit was a total shlog. I hear the gen 6 version is a much better game. Same premise, but different levels and a lot more like a sequel to Chaos Theory.

@known said:

id have to go with the first splinter cell. ironically its also my dads favorite game. the reason I like this is because on the hardest difficulty splinter cell is both challenging and realistic, something I love to play. unfortunately as the series progressed it got dumbed down and eventually became a piece of garbage. the good old days of talent and hardcore skill are long gone.

Blacklist on the hardest difficulty is by far the most challenging SC game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mems_1224

@ConanTheStoner: it's really close between conviction and PT. PT had that incredible multiplayer but a meh campaign while conviction had a great campaign and good coop but no multiplayer. PT had the best multiplayer mechanic though. Being able to whisper in an enemy's ear when you grab them was genius

Known

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Known
Member since 2016 • 18 Posts

@mems_1224: you can actually do that? wow I only played the first tom Clancy's so I haven't experienced that before.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Conviction! It's the only one in the series I didn't fell asleep with.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Cloud_imperium: I am one of the few that liked DA on this board back when it released. I remember it, like Conviction, getting shit on. I liked both of those games. DA for all the reasons you listed and Conviction for a bit of a change. Sam was on a revenge mission, or so he thought, and I agreed with one of the designers about stealth also being quick. Not just skulking in the dark. Blacklist gave me options and I am a big fan of that. Blacklist would be my favorite.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Splinter Cell 2 ( Pandora Tomorrow) or 3 (Chaos Theory), not for the story...the fantastic MP.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22413 Posts

I really liked Conviction.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: I've tried playing blacklist a bunch of times and it always feels off. Shooting and movement are off, Sam's voice is off, the mission select is off, the coop is off. Conviction just felt smoother even if it did lack the stealth of the other games

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jg4xchamp

Also conviction is garbage.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Pandora Tomorrow.

Was the only one other than Chaos Theory that I played.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp: says the guy who thinks resident evil 4 is good

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jg4xchamp

@mems_1224: resident evil 4 is fantastic, learn to like good games please.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224

@jg4xchamp: love good games. That's why I've never finished RE4. Have beat conviction at least 4 times though. Never knew you were so anti-fun

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#32 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25045 Posts

They started of great when with first 3 game then slowly become bad after that. Double agent was dissapointment compare to chaos theory, then conviction change the formula complete and become action game. blacklist then become a wierd mix of mass effect and assassins creed and basically conviction 2.0. or even worse.

Ubisoft absolutely suck now. they havenot even made a good game in like 15 years.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jg4xchamp

@mems_1224: can't think of one good video game you ever liked, you are like the spiritual sequel to master shake n darklink

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts

Chaos Theory or Blacklist.

Dig them all, besides Pandora Tomorrow.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Chaos Theory for the gameplay, Pandora Tomorrow for the environments

Blacklist was damn good 80% of the time and had weird shitty actiony bits the rest of the time

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@jg4xchamp: says the guy who thinks resident evil 4 is good

mems is such a casual its hilarious. Hey bro! Go play some more CoD duuuuuude

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mems_1224

@brah4ever: resident evil 4 is for casuals too. Your point? I don't even care about cod. I'm not nathandrakeswag. I have better shooters to play

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Brah4ever

@mems_1224:

Better shooters such as?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mems_1224

@brah4ever: lots of them. Not going to list every shooter I think is better than cod since I stopped playing cod multiplayer

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Brah4ever

@mems_1224 said:

@brah4ever: lots of them. Not going to list every shooter I think is better than cod since I stopped playing cod multiplayer

Titanfall, Halo 5, annnnnd Destiny.

Confirm or Deny

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I struggle to choose my favourite. I know my least favourite is easily Conviction: it just isn't Splinter Cell, and that's a bad thing when you're a fan of Splinter Cell! It seemed like Ubi was crapping all over the fans heads when they moved in Conviction direction.

I guess my favourite would be either Blacklist or Chaos Theory. I loved both for similar reasons, they both offer many options in how to play, and incentives for remaining stealthy. The level design wasn't exceptional in either but the gameplay made up for that, as did the soundtracks. I'm not sure why people draw parallels between Comviction and Blacklist - Blacklist very much goes back to Splinter Cell basics, only more modernised, while Conviction is a mess.

Beyond that though i still love Pandora Tomorrow and the original. Double Agent was hit and miss to me.

All of the above is my opinions on the single player, but i also loved the coop in Chaos Theory and Blacklist

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mems_1224

@brah4ever: this gen? I don't care for destiny. I'd probably say rainbow six and battlefield are at the top followed closely by halo and titanfall. Idk if you'd consider Arma 3 being from this gen but that'd be up there too

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mems_1224

@_Matt_: funny you say that considering blacklist is closer to conviction than it is to chaos theory

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@mems_1224: it uses the same engine and movement system sure - but i feel that's where the similarities end. When put on harder difficulties, Blacklist removes the stupid x ray vision and mark and execute that made Conviction shit. It also game the options to knock out or kill and gave incentives for choosing either way, and it actually brought back the fun gadgets. Also it did away with the unlimited pistol ammo crap that Conviction had for whatever reason.

All the above makes Blacklist a Chaos Theory 2 in my opinion. Why do you think is closer to Conviction?

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Played them all except for essentials. I couldn't say which is better as I have enjoyed them all. it's about time Ubi got their shit together and made another one.

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

Pandora Tomorrow was by far the best. It retained the classic hardcore Splinter Cell gameplay of the original, but also refined it so it wasn't as frustrating. It also had plenty of memorable moments like that train level, that level when you are on top of the TV station etc. Such an amazing game, one of my all time favorites. The atmosphere was incredible as well. The level variety was great, unlike the first game. I really loved how it ended for some reason.

Chaos Theory is so incredibly overrated it's not even funny. I admit that it is a classic, but I enjoy it the least out of the original trilogy and to me that's when the series started going downhill. I think a lot of people love it because of the graphics which were amazing at the time, but in terms of gameplay it destroyed most of what made Splinter Cell great. I think Ubi admitted that they made the gameplay more casual so it could appeal more to the masses. I didn't like how easy the game was. The story was also quite boring compared to Pandora Tomorrow. But Chaos Theory was still a great game, don't get me wrong.

Double Agent was a piece of garbage. Still haven't played Conviction and Blacklist. :)

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9893 Posts

Have only played Blacklist and Conviction. Blacklist I thought was super good, one of my favourite stealth games. Great set of stealth toys and level-design/AI are also really good. Like the globetrotting aspect and the way the game rewards the three different styles (proud panther!).

Conviction is much more bare bones. I also don't like how many sections are set ups for M&E. I actually don't mind M&E in general, it's pretty satisfying, but in Conviction they push for it too much as the natural solution. Interigation scenes are stupid. The voice acting is pretty rad though with both Sam and Vic sounding like grizzled American heroes.

It's a fun franchise, sincerely hope it's not dead, but worried.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mems_1224

@_Matt_: meh, the ammo complaint is nit picky. They basically took convictions gameplay and added some chaos theory to it. The biggest problems with past splinter cell games was that the gunplay was so shit that it really restricted how you played. Going loud wasn't fun. Conviction was the opposite, tearing through enemies and hunting them was really fun. Blacklist blended the styles together but it still has a lot more conviction in it.

I think the mark and execute system is fun as hell, no idea why people bitch about it.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#49 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

@samfisher56 said:

Pandora Tomorrow was by far the best. It retained the classic hardcore Splinter Cell gameplay of the original, but also refined it so it wasn't as frustrating. It also had plenty of memorable moments like that train level, that level when you are on top of the TV station etc. Such an amazing game, one of my all time favorites. The atmosphere was incredible as well. The level variety was great, unlike the first game. I really loved how it ended for some reason.

Chaos Theory is so incredibly overrated it's not even funny. I admit that it is a classic, but I enjoy it the least out of the original trilogy and to me that's when the series started going downhill. I think a lot of people love it because of the graphics which were amazing at the time, but in terms of gameplay it destroyed most of what made Splinter Cell great. I think Ubi admitted that they made the gameplay more casual so it could appeal more to the masses. I didn't like how easy the game was. The story was also quite boring compared to Pandora Tomorrow. But Chaos Theory was still a great game, don't get me wrong.

Double Agent was a piece of garbage. Still haven't played Conviction and Blacklist. :)

Pandora Tomorrow is an elite game. I loved it so much. There are a lot of memorable moments in the game as you said. But Double Agent blew me away for some reason. I should go back and play Splinter Cell 2,3 and 4 again. Conviction was a disappointment for me, Blacklist is a lot better but I still like 2,3 and 4 more than Blacklist.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#50 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 25045 Posts
@Cloud_imperium said:
@samfisher56 said:

Pandora Tomorrow is an elite game. I loved it so much. There are a lot of memorable moments in the game as you said. But Double Agent blew me away for some reason. I should go back and play Splinter Cell 2,3 and 4 again. Conviction was a disappointment for me, Blacklist is a lot better but I still like 2,3 and 4 more than Blacklist.

Double agent has few good missions. the JBA HQ missions are boring, waste of time and space. and has no purprose. it was also buggy and bad optimize. i was hyping it before released then it dissapoint me. I never hype conviction and blacklist