• 81 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Favorite PC game launcher? (61 votes)

GOG (good old games) 11%
Steam 82%
Epic 3%
Other (specify) 3%

Thinking about getting Baldur’s Gate 3 on PC. Haven’t done a lot of PC gaming in a while, and I have access accounts with the major launchers, but I’m kind of leaning towards GOG. I like the idea of not being tethered to an app. Which got me thinking - what is your favorite PC game launcher, SW?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-65dd04f21decf
deactivated-65dd04f21decf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1 deactivated-65dd04f21decf
Member since 2022 • 3769 Posts

Steam's my main. But most anything older I use GoG. Rarely **** with anything else, though that might change considering I have like 300 games on Amazon Prime.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39335 Posts

Don't like any of them. Just give me 360's blades OS on everything.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Steam is the only one that doesn't suck and offers lots of features.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6377 Posts

Console gamer talking to his Hermit friend

Console gamer: man what's your favourite game at the moment?

PC gamer: Steam or RTX 4090

Consoler gamer: 🤦‍♂️

Pretty much sums it up 🤣🤣🤣

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9408 Posts

the terminal

$games ./start-my-fucking-game

🙌

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1270 Posts

GOG would be the best if it had Steam's features.

Until then, it's Steam by far.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@last_lap: .....what?

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7326 Posts

GOG is my first choice if the game is available there, but I don't use Galaxy. Prefer not to bother with launchers if I can avoid it. But if I must, Steam is best by far.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 296

#9 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2966 Posts

Steam.

Xbox launcher is my runner-up due to Play Anywhere titles.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56268 Posts

GoG is my main HQ & Steam is my second in-command. I only use EGS if its a game I cannot purchase anywhere else on launch day or it remains on EGS forever.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69988 Posts

I play games not the launcher.🤷🏽‍♀️

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8316 Posts

They all do the same shit, allow you to play a game you bought. Kind of miss the days when you didn't have to have any specific launcher/store front on PC. Valve started that dumb shit.

Atleast they made billions of dollars I guess and made store front launchers the standard. Respect the hustle but don't like what it did.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45309 Posts

@sargentd said:

They all do the same shit, allow you to play a game you bought. Kind of miss the days when you didn't have to have any specific launcher/store front on PC. Valve started that dumb shit.

Atleast they made billions of dollars I guess and made store front launchers the standard. Respect the hustle but don't like what it did.

That’s what I’m saying though, doesn’t Gog let you play without one??

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

Honestly I don't think it really matters. Use what you like, it's all just money, code on the internet, and your games.

With that said...

Steam or GoG are really the only good options out there.

Tencent-Epic Game Store is really lame and you should boycott it. Harvesting your data and selling it to China, trying to buy customers with free games, owners of Fortnite (ugh...), shady practices, exclusivity on the PC platform, etc.

I like Steam because Valve is the only option that isn't a publicly-traded company; they can do what's best for the consumer, not the shareholder (which they don't have).

Not that I am white-knight for Valve, they have done some bad stuff in the past, it's just they're the least likely to screw you. Plus, let's be honest, they're the best for like 20 other reasons, too. I like their community tools, abundance of early access titles, the sheer collection of games, frequent sales, built-in mod support, and more.

GoG is fine, no real issues there other than they seem slightly less reliable (as far as logging on, stability) than Steam. In my experience.

@SolidGame_basic said:
@sargentd said:

That’s what I’m saying though, doesn’t Gog let you play without one??

Yes, though I think that has changed with newer games.

But yes, for many games you can download the whole executable/game/etc. Put it on a boot drive, take it anywhere, install it on anything. I haven't tried it myself so please correct me if I am mistaken, but I think that is the gist of it.

Basically if you bought Fallout Tactics and downloaded it, it's yours for as long as the drive is viable for on anything. Don't need to authenticate or anything.

It's a very nice feature.

With that said, CD Projekt is a publicly-traded company. They could be bought tomorrow and shut down, their board could decide "You know, this is too risky, allowing whole games to be copied, let's stop" and that'd be the end of it. A million other things. We saw how unstable the company was with their back-and-forth with some games and the release of Cyberpunk. They don't care about us.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SargentD

@SolidGame_basic: yeah GoG is DRM free. But a lot of games aren't sold there. More old games than new ones. Crazy we have to use a service like GoG to actually own PC games.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SargentD

@mrbojangles25: we need to boycott Steam and EPIC so all PC games can be on GoG instead and be DRM free

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mrbojangles25
@last_lap said:

What in the actual **** are you on about my dude?

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
@sargentd said:

@mrbojangles25: we need to boycott Steam and EPIC so all PC games can be on GoG instead and be DRM free

Well in the interest of making billionaires extinct, I support this, Comrade SargentD

Though I think we will just make CD Projekt more billions while making Gabe and Tencent-Epic less.

Also, yes, the games DRM free too of course hahahaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@mrbojangles25 said:
@last_lap said:

What in the actual **** are you on about my dude?

lol. honestly don't even think bruh knows what a 4090 is.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator

@last_lap said:

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Last_Lap

@mrbojangles25: It's pretty simple to follow. Give it another shot.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5272 Posts

Is it still possible to buy and play PC games without a game launcher? I see game launchers no better than the "walled gardens" console makers created.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 513 Posts

Steam by far. I use GOG, and I have a massive amount of free games from EGS, but Steam is awesome. It's all there in one place. Mods, customizable organization however you want, a helpful community for your game of choice, game guides, groups all of it. I trust The user reviews more than major gaming outlets, and all your profile and background animations are bought with points from purchases rather than real money like I had on Playstation and Nintendo.

Hell, Steam let's me know when games on wishlist are sale. I love it

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
@last_lap said:

I don't follow either. Maybe you should tell us why Mr. Last_Lap aka the PC hater😏

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#26 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Steam is the most... ...tolerable.

Miquella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Miquella
Member since 2022 • 760 Posts

Steam, one launcher is enough.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap

@davillain said:
@last_lap said:

I don't follow either. Maybe you should tell us why Mr. Last_Lap aka the PC hater😏

C'mon dav hate is such a strong word and I don't hate PC, I do think it's as useful as tits on a bull though.

But since you asked. The latest threads from hermits are about celebrating an old GPU and asking what is your favourite game launcher. If hermits do talk about games its usually about resolution or frames etc.

When it comes to games, well most (keyword there) hermits here are talking about anything other than them.

A quick Google search will find Upcoming PC exclusive games to talk about, but nope, let's talk about GPU's & strorefronts instead🙄

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:
@davillain said:
@last_lap said:

C'mon dav hate is such a strong word and I don't hate PC, I do think it's as useful as tits on a bull though.

But since you asked. The latest threads from hermits are about celebrating an old GPU and asking what is your favourite game launcher. If hermits do talk about games its usually about resolution or frames etc.

When it comes to games, well most (keyword there) hermits here are talking about anything other than them.

A quick Google search will find Upcoming PC exclusive games to talk about, but nope, let's talk about GPU's & strorefronts instead🙄

I remember you said that the pc is only good for printing shit. The most toxic comment toward hermits i have ever heard on this forum. Such a hater, honestly.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Fedor  Online
Member since 2015 • 11662 Posts

Steam is obviously the best.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#31 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19617 Posts

Steam. Nothing else comes close.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrbojangles25

Honestly I don't mind it all so much, the only thing that really bugs me is if I buy a Ubisoft or EA game on Steam or play one on Game Pass and then I have to launch their launchers from my main launchers. It's like "OK I'll play Mirror's Edge" then Steam is like "launching EA Origin" and it's just like c'mon dudes, ugh.

Seriously, though...first-world problem. Takes like one time to login and then maybe 10 extra seconds. No biggie.

@onesiphorus said:

Is it still possible to buy and play PC games without a game launcher? I see game launchers no better than the "walled gardens" console makers created.

Eh, no? But we have multiple options.

Console you only have one option. But if you still buy physical, I suppose you can buy the copy anywhere.

Pointless argument I suppose in that regard. Both are forced into using launchers.

@madrocketeer said:

Steam is the most... ...tolerable.

This is a good way to phrase it lol.

You know I was gaming before we had "launchers" (and internet, even), but even I have a hard time remembering what it was like before haha.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Well look who it is, lemwenzen trying to stir up trouble again. Prove I said it or move along.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By hardwenzen
@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Well look who it is, lemwenzen trying to stir up trouble again. Prove I said it or move along.

You said it before your ban, so obviously nobody gonna keep your posts from ages ago, but guess what? I am 90% sure that you actually remember😆😆😆

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@last_lap said:

Okay, that's a fair point. We do have a few threads us PC gamers do make a thread on our favorite games we like to talk about, but the problem with that however is. Talking about just a simple PC game doesn't really attract the attention here in SW it seems. Resolutions, framerates, PC setups mainly generate interesting conversation than the actual game itself.

Of course, I have a good setup but my PC is nothing to brag about, so hardly talk about it.

@mrbojangles25 said:

Honestly I don't mind it all so much, the only thing that really bugs me is if I buy a Ubisoft or EA game on Steam or play one on Game Pass and then I have to launch their launchers from my main launchers. It's like "OK I'll play Mirror's Edge" then Steam is like "launching EA Origin" and it's just like c'mon dudes, ugh.

Seriously, though...first-world problem. Takes like one time to login and then maybe 10 extra seconds. No biggie.

Look Bojangles25, I get it. Most PC gamers like to have everything on Steam without taking a simple time to log-in somewhere else. Take me for instance, if I know I'm gonna buy an EA game, I'll just buy it on their client store with no problem at all. Same with Ubisoft & even Rockstars app.

Tencent-Epic Game Store is really lame and you should boycott it. Harvesting your data and selling it to China, trying to buy customers with free games, owners of Fortnite (ugh...), shady practices, exclusivity on the PC platform, etc.

I for one don't hate EGS, but you should only and I mean only use EGS if its a game you really want to play day one or you can simply wait till it comes to Steam, GoG down the road. I also find this whole stealing data to be silly IMO. I mean, if China wants to study me or whatever, cool I guess if they find me interesting and as long as it doesn't impact my life...gaming life that is. You can accuse EGS for data spying all you like, but how are they different than MS Windows? Or our phones?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Last_Lap

@davillain: You're one of the few who does talk mostly games.

I'm just a gamer who doesn't care about what's inside the box, how many frames or resolution, I care about the games.

I just find it odd that there are PC exclusive games, and yet Hermits very rarely talk about them. I mean it's SW material lol.

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Dude enough, you know how this works, make a claim, then back up said claim or move along.

Bye 👋

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Dude enough, you know how this works, make a claim, then back up said claim or move along.

Bye 👋

Looks like i made you stop posting that gif of yours with the guy rolling away in a cart lmao. You got destroyed, and pc serves for more than printing🤡

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Last_Lap

@hardwenzen: Bye 👋

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hardwenzen

@last_lap said:

@hardwenzen: Bye 👋

Don't leave me, no. I used to be a lemming, remember.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Renegade_Fury  Online
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

Steam. GoG is also nice for being DRM free, but having everything on steam does make things simpler.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34696 Posts

Steam is where I have 95% of my games.

@Juub1990 said:

Steam is the only one that doesn't suck and offers lots of features.

And also that.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59131 Posts

Steam/GoG

When it comes to features Steam can't be bested. Having said that it's not perfect.

Long history absolutely 0 standards when it comes to games. This includes scam games, old games put in the platform in a basically broken state etc...

Main problem. They have "noticed" abit more because, gotta sell dat Steam Deck', but otherwise they didn't give a shit prior.

GoG, nothing really bad to say about it other than it being limited (by it's nature). Deals are better than Steams, generally care more about the quality of the product etc...

-

Epic don't care about. Was a thing the industry tried to force on you through funneling and ads.

Try to bribe you with games (I'll take them), but otherwise not getting a penny.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@davillain said:
@last_lap said:

I remember you said that the pc is only good for printing shit. The most toxic comment toward hermits i have ever heard on this forum. Such a hater, honestly.

I don't need any more evidence proving how much of an assclown this guy is, but damn, I'd like to see that quote.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

GamePass. lol :P

Jolyyoljogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jolyyoljogger
Member since 2023 • 90 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: for your next thread how about you title it

"Can you come up with a more mundane question than me?"

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hardwenzen

@nod_calypse said:
@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@davillain said:
@last_lap said:

I don't need any more evidence proving how much of an assclown this guy is, but damn, I'd like to see that quote.

It was way before your time, back when his brain fried with Returnal reviews.

Jolyyoljogger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jolyyoljogger
Member since 2023 • 90 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@last_lap said:
@davillain said:
@last_lap said:

that is actually a genius comment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-65dd04f21decf

@hardwenzen: Had an account back when, mainly article comment sections. This madhouse is a whole different beast.

GhostOfGolden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GhostOfGolden
Member since 2023 • 2580 Posts

@last_lap said:

@Pedro said:

I play games not the launcher.🤷🏽‍♀️

I knew we’d agree at some point

Launcher wars is like picking your favorite button on a remote. They all make the TV work so what are we doing here?!?!