Fallout New Vegas details!

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coolguy735

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 coolguy735
Member since 2008 • 489 Posts

Well here's a cool way to kick off the new year. Computerandvideogames.com has an article up this morning that outlines a few specific and rather juicy rumors surrounding the Obsidian-developed spin-off to Bethesda's popular Fallout franchise, Fallout: New Vegas. Originating from a tipster within the Gamespot UK forums and said to be gleaned from the upcoming issue of Game Informer mag, here are the details as listed in the post:

• Similar to Dragon Age: Origins, at character creation the player can select from different background stories. The first few hours of the game are different depending on which background you choose, and you get some unique perks based on your background when the main game begins.
Of course, none of these details are confirmed by anyone involved with the project, but we'll keep you posted as soon as we know more. Now, discuss the above below and let us know what you think!

• One background story is shown, Chinese Agent. The background story takes place before the bombs fell. The player is part of a team of Crimson Dragoons infilitrating Hoover Dam. You manage to sneak through the Americans' defenses, set explosives, and head to an extraction point, but your escape is cut off by American soldiers in Power Armor. The player and other survivors of the Crimson Dragoons take refuge in a cave in the canyons, where they commit hari kari with cyanide capsules. The player about to do the same when the bombs fall. The background story ends an indeterminate time later, when the player exits the cave, removes his helmet, and sees his ghoulish reflection in the waters of the Colorado River.

• The background story segues into character creation. The player can customize the appearance of the ghoul, and you see you start the game with two unique perks. One, similar to the Ghoul Mask in Fallout 3, makes Feral Ghouls non-aggro. The other makes the player immune to radiation sickness and allows the player to discharge accumulated radiation in a blast similar to a Glowing Ghoul, healing the player and any mutants while damaging all non-mutants in range.

• By default, the Chinese Agent has the skills Sneak, Small Arms, and Explosives tagged and SPECIAL stats set, although the player can modify their tagged skills and stats if they don't like the template.

• One character background option is Lone Wanderer. This selection has no background story or template and is a complete blank slate for players.

• The SPECIAL system used will be similar to Fallout 3, but skills will be harder to cap and one character will not be able to become a master of all skills. The article is not very specific because apparently it's something the developers are still tweaking.

• Gambling will return, but not as a skill. Your Luck stat will effect gambling results. You can attempt to cheat at cards using your Sneak skill or hack slot machines using your Science skill.

• There will be vehicles. The desert of New Vegas dwarfs the Capital Wasteland and you will need transportation to get around and explore it. You will acquire a vehicle several hours into the main quest. You can customize your vehicle with parts bought at shops or won through racing circuits and quests. Vehicles will not be common, but you will encounter road gangs, merchant caravans, and other vehicles in the wastes. The open desert is home to some very large mutant creatures, like giant radscorpions and sandworms, that will attack your vehicle.

• New Vegas has a coliseum run by a slaver gang called the Caesar's Legion. You can gamble on and participate in arena fights.

Thanks for the tip Lundkvist!

Source

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts

As long as it is anything at likes of fallout 3, then im happy, being able to play as a crimson dragoon sounds awesome, though i don't really know about the ghoul stuff.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#3 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
I am expecting something more in the lines of the early Fallouts with Obsidian working on it, I hardly doubt it will come out this year though, they must have their hands still full with Alpha Protocol.
deleterguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deleterguy
Member since 2005 • 1827 Posts
I hope it's nothing like Fallout 3 actually.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#5 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
I have high expectations of Obsidian. They are a quality developer. If they go the easy route; just a total conversion and keep all the gameplay mechanics, I won't play.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

that sounds great. the first two fallouts were amazing so i hope its like them.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Seems ok, need moar details though.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

Sounds interesting, hopefully they use a new graphics engine and it doesn't seem like Fallout 3: 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dd711115e664
deactivated-5dd711115e664

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 deactivated-5dd711115e664
Member since 2005 • 8956 Posts

So wait...is this a NEW game or another add-on? I thought Vegas was supposed to be a new add-on but this sounds like an original game.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

So wait...is this a NEW game or another add-on? I thought Vegas was supposed to be a new add-on but this sounds like an original game.

ZIMdoom
` whole new game
Avatar image for SpiritOfFire117
SpiritOfFire117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SpiritOfFire117
Member since 2009 • 8537 Posts
Sounds great. I like what I'm hearing so far.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Sounds great and I'm buying it either way, I loved Fallout 3 but think I'd still love it if it was a mix of the old Fallouts with a bit of the new one as well.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#13 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

Sounds interesting, hopefully they use a new graphics engine and it doesn't seem like Fallout 3: 2.

smokeydabear076
That's the last thing they need to do, Obsidian is terrible at optimizing graphic engines.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

Chinese commiting hara-kiri, eh?

And with cyanide capsules? Damn, they must be really sharp.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Sounds great and I'm buying it either way, I loved Fallout 3 but think I'd still love it if it was a mix of the old Fallouts with a bit of the new one as well.bobbetybob
Mixing the new fallout with the old fallout is probably the best thing they can do with out going completely back to its roots.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Chinese commiting hara-kiri, eh?

And with cyanide capsules? Damn, they must be really sharp.

Baranga

actually its very easy toimpale a pill intoyour abdomen :P

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]

hiphops_savior

That's the last thing they need to do, Obsidian is terrible at optimizing graphic engines.

Ok then I guess they should use a different engine...

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Good news!

I don't expect New Vegas to be a RPG as detailed and deep as Fallout 2, but I think it'll be at least better than Fallout 3 as a RPG. Fallout 3 was an amazing game, but an undeniable weak RPG, especially comparing to it's predecessor. I really don't care if it uses the same FPS gameplay and V.A.T.S. system, as long as there are a less casual NPC interaction, with more complex dialogs and scripting, choices, a balanced leveling system, a harder game and some "cap"regarding the player's skills, because I hated the fact you are a god-like character way before lv20 in Fallout 3 (and a god of a god at lv30).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Good news!

I don't expect New Vegas to be a RPG as detailed and deep as Fallout 2, but I think it'll be at least better than Fallout 3 as a RPG. Fallout 3 was an amazing game, but an undeniable weak RPG, especially comparing to it's predecessor. I really don't care if it uses the same FPS gameplay and V.A.T.S. system, as long as there are a less casual NPC interaction, with more complex dialogs and scripting, choices, a balanced leveling system, a harder game and some "cap"regarding the player's skills, because I hated the fact you are a god-like character way before lv20 in Fallout 3 (and a god of a god at lv30).

RyuRanVII

agreed. i dont mind if they keep fallout 3s combat, just as long as they bring back some of the things that made fallout great.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#20 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Sounds nice, but I am not expecting to see this game anytime soon. Actually, I am still waiting to see what happens with Alpha Protocol. I'll start keeping tabs on New Vegas after I see how that turns out.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#21 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I wonder if the NPCs will be a little less stiff. That would be a big improvement right there. Vehicles is a good start, though.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts

Did somebody check the source?

"According to a member of the Gamespot forums"...

Quite interesting, if true, but I think I'll wait for a better source :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
[QUOTE="IronBass"]

Did somebody check the source?

"According to a member of the Gamespot forums"...

Quite interesting, if true, but I think I'll wait for a better source :P

Thats disapointing :(
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
Thats disapointing :(toast_burner
In SW, always.check.the.source. :P
BlindfireMcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlindfireMcgee
Member since 2010 • 323 Posts
I wonder if the NPCs will be a little less stiff. That would be a big improvement right there. Vehicles is a good start, though.musicalmac
I don't know...the statement that it "dwarfs" the Capital Wasteland in size is a bold claim if I've ever heard one. We really don't need a world bigger than the Capital Wasteland, as it already takes countless hours to go from one side of the map to the next (without using quick travel). If this information is truly, then we will be sure of a world will almost twice less the amount of detail in comparison to Fallout 3. But..then again, Las Vegas, Nevada is about twice the size of Washington D.C....so vehicles are rather plausible.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#26 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
[QUOTE="musicalmac"]I wonder if the NPCs will be a little less stiff. That would be a big improvement right there. Vehicles is a good start, though.BlindfireMcgee
I don't know...the statement that it "dwarfs" the Capital Wasteland in size is a bold claim if I've ever heard one. We really don't need a world bigger than the Capital Wasteland, as it already takes countless hours to go from one side of the map to the next (without using quick travel). If this information is truly, then we will be sure of a world will almost twice less the amount of detail in comparison to Fallout 3. But..then again, Las Vegas, Nevada is about twice the size of Washington D.C....so vehicles are rather plausible.

Well, IB pointed out the source may not be valid. That being said, the Capital Wasteland isn't that big, IMO. I was disappointed in the size when I started playing, actually. I expected it to be much larger.
aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts
I need some gameplay D:
BlindfireMcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlindfireMcgee
[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Well, IB pointed out the source may not be valid. That being said, the Capital Wasteland isn't that big, IMO. I was disappointed in the size when I started playing, actually. I expected it to be much larger.

lol? How much larger does said world need to be? Obsidian is no Rockstar Games, so I'd be rather surprised they'd make their first introductory title to the Fallout universe with a world the size that the information claims it of having.
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Sweet, more badly scripted dialogue, pointless choices that affect nothing and pretty death animations to look forward to then.

BlindfireMcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BlindfireMcgee

Sweet, more badly scripted dialogue, pointless choices that affect nothing and pretty death animations to look forward to then.

1080pOnly
I know? Isn't it awesome? Step up from the dry and drab taste the original Fallouts stained in my mouth though...anyway!
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Well, IB pointed out the source may not be valid. That being said, the Capital Wasteland isn't that big, IMO. I was disappointed in the size when I started playing, actually. I expected it to be much larger.BlindfireMcgee
lol? How much larger does said world need to be? Obsidian is no Rockstar Games, so I'd be rather surprised they'd make their first introductory title to the Fallout universe with a world the size that the information claims it of having.

They once made a game the size of UK. True story. Alas, it was partially random generated, but still... A titanic achievement.

Ever since Morrowind, their game worlds get smaller and the games get dumber.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

BlindfireMcgee

I know? Isn't it awesome? Step up from the dry and drab taste the original Fallouts stained in my mouth though...anyway!

Dude, you're supposed to install the game and play it, not eat the packaging it came in.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#33 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

Hopefully Obsidian isn't rushed this time like in KOTOR 2.

Either way, they have a lot of potenial to work with in the universe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
[QUOTE="musicalmac"] Well, IB pointed out the source may not be valid. That being said, the Capital Wasteland isn't that big, IMO. I was disappointed in the size when I started playing, actually. I expected it to be much larger.BlindfireMcgee

Obsidian was founded by members of Black isle so its not thier first falout game but thier first fallout game away from interplay
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19584 Posts

lol? How much larger does said world need to be? Obsidian is no Rockstar Games, so I'd be rather surprised they'd make their first introductory title to the Fallout universe with a world the size that the information claims it of having.BlindfireMcgee

Their older Fallout games were huge, it's just that being in the middle of a wasteland there wasn't much more than radiation and death out there between towns. Fallout 3 was much smaller than the first two games and packed everything in very close together, so it never really felt like a desolate wasteland to me.
Hopefully they bring back the world map, too.

1080pOnly

Phew, good thing Obsidian is making this game and not Bethesda, or else you might be right.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

As long as it is similar to fallout 3 in terms of combat i will be very excited

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#37 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts

As long as it is anything at likes of fallout 3, then im happy, being able to play as a crimson dragoon sounds awesome, though i don't really know about the ghoul stuff.

DoomZaW
I doubt it will follow Fallout 3's gameplay.
InfiniteBlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 InfiniteBlak
Member since 2009 • 794 Posts
i hope its a little closer to Borderlands than Fallout 3, i dont hear to many good things about F3 but i know borderlands is the ****
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts
i hope its a little closer to Borderlands than Fallout 3, i dont hear to many good things about F3 but i know borderlands is the ****InfiniteBlak
have you played Fallout 3? its great.
kittyloaf69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kittyloaf69
Member since 2009 • 1023 Posts
I hated Fallout 3 and I will hate this if i even play it, which is unlikely.
Doolz2024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 Doolz2024
Member since 2007 • 9623 Posts
Sounds good, now let's just hope New Vegas is a lot less glitchy than Fallout 3. >_>
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#43 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Sounds good, now let's just hope New Vegas is a lot less glitchy than Fallout 3. >_>Doolz2024
I wouldn't bank on it, Neverwinter Nights 2 is made by the same guys, and while it's one of the best RPGs to have come out in terms of story and characters, it's also one of the buggiest games to have come out.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Better use: A. Obsidian's game engine or B. id tech 5 engine
Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts
i hope its a little closer to Borderlands than Fallout 3, i dont hear to many good things about F3 but i know borderlands is the ****InfiniteBlak
Let's all pray it's nothing like that generic piece of crap.
Avatar image for LiquidSnake1001
LiquidSnake1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LiquidSnake1001
Member since 2009 • 673 Posts
[QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

savetehhaloz

They're using the same game engine so of course it will.
MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Sounds awesome! Fallout 3 is in my top five games of all time and if Fallout New Vegas adds a better story and the vehicles and a better special system i will be a happy man.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
It's going exactly the direction I hoped from the looks of things, although I'll wait for more details to come to any conclusion.
Im_single

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Im_single
Member since 2008 • 5134 Posts
[QUOTE="savetehhaloz"][QUOTE="DoomZaW"]

LiquidSnake1001

They're using the same game engine so of course it will.

Of course! All the games that use the Unreal engine are identical!
nitromuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nitromuffin
Member since 2007 • 972 Posts

ZIMdoom

whole new game just not a direct sequel to 3