Fact about casual vs. hardcore gamers you all forgot! You were all once casual!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 peter1191
Member since 2005 • 591 Posts

So why are you guys suddenly hardcore gamers? Most hardcore gamers believe that casuals are destroying the market. The Wii is the supposed console to blame. Funny. All of you forgot a simple fact: you must first be a gamer to become a casual gamer. You first have to be a casual gamer to become a standard/hardcore gamer. A standard gamer preferrs good games that are pure fun or have a level of depth they want. I am a standard gamer. Hardcore gamers treat games as a hobby. I am a gamer, but I don't think of games as a hobby.

So the Wii, by creating and attracting non-handcore/standard gamers, in turn creates hardcore /standard gamers. This gamers have recognizable traits: they rather get a good game than some random game that looks interesting on the surface. With a user base of 100 million, PS2 created the most hardcore/standard gamers of all consoles. The Wii is doing the same. It will always appeal to non-gamers, even if they don't evolve to hardcore/standard gamers. A section of the newly created Wii market will want deeper games than Wii sports, and Nintendo is already hard at work to meet these demands. Furthermore, casual games will always be around to appeal to all, and attract new gamers. Thats why I love Wii sports so much. Its a break from the deep games I have been recently into.

So the Wii, the console hardcore gamers on this board bash so much, is creating more gamers of your kind, but with a greater love for simply fun games. Games are more than an art form. They are not to be looked upon and appreciated. They are to be PLAYED! While I am concerned at the lack of deeper games on the Wii right now, I know a ton are on the way, and more casual oriented games, like Super Paper Mario, can hold me over with a simple; that game is hilarious!

Vyyral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Vyyral
Member since 2007 • 386 Posts
My mind is blown!
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts
Yeah now there has to be a section of the forums dedicated to Casuals vs. Hardcore.
Wintry_Flutist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Wintry_Flutist
Member since 2005 • 14834 Posts
I was born with teh hardcore in my veins.
TrailorParkBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TrailorParkBoy
Member since 2006 • 2922 Posts
Well I dont think I ever started out as casual, the first game I ever played (a part from maybe playing 5 seconds of Mario at a friends house) was TA. Though I guess I went from hardcore to casual back to hardcore because I started playing halo 2 and then got back to normal.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
I began gaming before the terms even existed in gaming.
AfterShafter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AfterShafter
Member since 2002 • 7175 Posts
I was a baby once too... But I wouldn't want babies controlling the government.
peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 peter1191
It doesn't necessarily matter what game you play at first. It matters what trend you begin to develop in the games you prefer to buy.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts
false, i was born from the pure essence of awsome in the land of gaming gods.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
I began gaming before the terms even existed in gaming. Panzer_Zwei
ditto
Michael85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Michael85
Member since 2005 • 3971 Posts

I was born with teh hardcore in my veins.Wintry_Flutist

I hear the lack of hemoglobin wreaks havic on your immune system.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

The first game I owned was Tetris... I was doing the cheat to start at speed 9 and move to speed 18 by the end of the first week. My initiation into gaming came from arcade games, and I was addicted to anything challenging - Echo the Dolphin held me in a tight grip due to how brutal the puzzles were. The first PC game I played required you to solve differential equations to progress up a mountain where you captured gnomes in order to build a treasure trove. My second PC game was Doom. My favorite arcade games were a hovertank sim that used dual-joystick controls, street fighter 2, and gauntlet.

I was born hardcore.

Potential gamers will be hand selected and initiated into gaming by the council of thirteen. Training will be swift and brutal, typing speeds below 100wpm will result in flogging. There are pro-gamres with ages in the single digits. I'm not saying *torture* will be necessary, but hey, whatever gets results.

You're talking to a generation of gamers who grew up on Contra, Metroid, Castlevania, and arcade titles... we had sonic and mario, sure, but even they were brutal compared to some modern games where you really *can't* lose. Push "A" enough and you'll beat the game! High score! Itsa me! You winna da game!

I was a baby once too... But I wouldn't want babies controlling the government.AfterShafter

Hahah, nice, I couldn't have said it better - casuals shouldn't control the market. Like you casuals say "but but but they'll keep being hardcore games" - well if hardcore gamers control the market, they'll be casual games still - you'll just have to learn to live with your games being harder, and only having 1/100th of the selection you're used to. But, it's the same, right?

peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 peter1191
But subrosian, you keep ignoring the fact that casuals will ALWAYS be the majority of the market. Only when casuals are exposed to games do they become more and more thoughtfull of the depth of a game and its quality. Hardcore games are concerned with the quality of games to a point were it doesn't even matter if the game is fun or not. THats wrong, and thats why casuals are important to the market.
peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 peter1191
BUmp
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]I began gaming before the terms even existed in gaming. laughingman42
ditto

you've made me realize this as well...cookie?

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Why do people say "I was born a hardcore." No, you weren't, you evolved in time to the so called 'hardcore' status.

Hell, most likely you started from casual games of hide & seek or tag to more domanant games like Final Fantasy/Starcraft/Tekken/etc.

Before that you were a nongamers, only you saw such things, you had the thoughts of "I wanna try this out" and gradually become more so.

Saying like I could draw like this well all the time, I was born with this whatever. First your doodled than you draw.

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
Final Fantasy VII, first game I ever played, beat in in four days. Since then i've been a pretty intense gamer.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Why do people say "I was born a hardcore." No, you weren't, you evolved in time to the so called 'hardcore' status.

Hell, most likely you started from casual games of hide & seek or tag to more domanant games like Final Fantasy/Starcraft/Tekken/etc.

Before that you were a nongamers, only you saw such things, you had the thoughts of "I wanna try this out" and gradually become more so.

Saying like I could draw like this well all the time, I was born with this whatever. First your doodled than you draw.

ArisShadows

I played hide & seek for blood man... I would hide in a wasp-invested tree house - because darn if I was going to get tagged by the seeker. I had no idea little Timmy was allergic to bees... that was the summer I first watched a man *die*. Hide & seek is some extreme gaming.

The point has already been made - the industry should be controlled by the hardcore. Hardcore doens't mean inaccesable to a new gamer - it means a new gamer is going to start on a game like Final Fantasy that will immerse them into gaming for life, rather than playing Wii Sports and thinking that "oh, gaming is just some fun alternative to tag...poor Timmy".
rpg9000owner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 rpg9000owner
Member since 2006 • 1859 Posts

First game I played? Doom, from there I never looked back. Gaming is only one of my hobbies, I dislike the term "hardcore". I prefer "gamer" :)

spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts
Back in the day when I started I don't remember there being "casual" games like Wii Sports, Brain Age, Cooking Mama, Nintendogs and so on. So you can't really compare people that have been gaming and how we started to people and how they start gaming today with casual games.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
I started off a casual and will die as a casual! My gaming decisions help determine the future of the industry! Casual gamers 4ever!!!! :lol:
downPlayDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 downPlayDemon
Member since 2004 • 3529 Posts
No i was harcoe from the start. My first system was GB black and white. Then i got the snes. i was in love. Damn i wish nintendo was as cool as it was before
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts

No i was harcoe from the start. My first system was GB black and white. Then i got the snes. i was in love. Damn i wish nintendo was as cool as it was beforedownPlayDemon

I'm sure a lot of us older gamers wish that too. :(

Looks like the PS3 and the 360 are duking it this gen to see who'll be the next 'SNES'

Gzus666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gzus666
Member since 2007 • 2304 Posts

i feel old, when i was about 8 i beat the first space quest, was playing 3d pong, kings quest, commander keen, duke nukem(the original, not 3d). wolfenstein 3d, continuing through games like the rest of the space quest series, Mech warrior, warcraft 1 and 2, command and conquer, syndicate, jill of the jungle, 4D Boxing(anyone remember this?) cozmos adventures, wing commander, duke nukem 3d, heretic, the original Quake, fall out, jagged alliance, god the games rocked back then. consoles, of course were in it, but not as much, playing my atari, nintendo, etc.

my gaming was what you could call hardcore, since i was always playing them. my gaming slowed up a bit for a while when i was in my mid teens, and picked back up in my 20's. but when it came down to it, i didnt game to say i was hardcore and impress anybody, i just loved so many games, and i hope for an era like it was back then again. games are very cookie cutter anymore, but i think there is some stuff coming to change that, much like katamari damacy changed my mind on the last gen.

Dencore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dencore
Member since 2006 • 7094 Posts

false, i was born from the pure essence of awsome in the land of gaming gods. JPOBS

:lol:

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
It's funny i was thinking the exact same thing just last night! We do all start off as casuals and then later branch off to become true gamers and hardcore gamers. Mario brought me into the gaming worlds when i was young and as a result i later became a gamer and supported most systems. We need the casuals to help push forward our games!!! Also i know a lot of casuals that love the 360 cos of the pretty graphics so they are everywhere
darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts

lol, I'm sorry I find it hard to compare myself to a 60 year old man/woman playing with the Wii.

That's part of Wii's installed player base and the type of people Wii hopes to target in the future. I couldn't stop laughing when I read this story

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19078709/

If anyone thinks the Wii is targeted at hardcore gamers.....please realize 60 year olds are using it to work out. It's a fun system but it's not targeted at the typical gamer. Some and I stress SOME games will, but the majority will be these oversimplfied, easy to use for the kids and geriatric crew. Pretending this will be the PS2.....you are grasping at straws, it's more likely this becomes the non-gamer machine.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

tc is right... to bad to manny people are in denial

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 darthogre

ArisShadows

I certainly didn't start playing gameslike cooking mama rofl. Things likeDuke Nukem, Doom, and eventhings like DarkForces on the computer.

Wii is different and the games are obviously targeting different people. Look at the titles, if you can'tsee the difference between PS2's first year and Wii's firstyear...you are blind.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

lol, I'm sorry I find it hard to compare myself to a 60 year old man/woman playing with the Wii.

That's part of Wii's installed player base and the type of people Wii hopes to target in the future. I couldn't stop laughing when I read this story

If anyone thinks the Wii is targeted at hardcore gamers.....please realize 60 year olds are using it to work out. It's a fun system but it's not targeted at the typical gamer. Some and I stress SOME games will, but the majority will be these oversimplfied, easy to use for the kids and geriatric crew. Pretending this will be the PS2.....you are grasping at straws, it's more likely this becomes the non-gamer machine.

darthogre

what you call smg, smbb, sadness, mp3

.... yea enough is enough stop being in denial. hardcore is on ALL SYSTEMS And PC

get use to it

Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

Another thread to make the wii look better. Letc face it you have bought a casual consol with minigames and shallow games with no depht.

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 darthogre
[QUOTE="darthogre"]

wavebrid

what you call smg, smbb, sadness, mp3

.... yea enough is enough stop being in denial. hardcore is on ALL SYSTEMS And PC

get use to it

Notice when I said SOME games. Wow, so you would be happy with 3 "hardcore games" a year?

If so you must have really loved the GameCube.

Rip870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rip870
Member since 2006 • 1232 Posts

So why are you guys suddenly hardcore gamers? Most hardcore gamers believe that casuals are destroying the market. The Wii is the supposed console to blame. Funny. All of you forgot a simple fact: you must first be a gamer to become a casual gamer. You first have to be a casual gamer to become a standard/hardcore gamer. A standard gamer preferrs good games that are pure fun or have a level of depth they want. I am a standard gamer. Hardcore gamers treat games as a hobby. I am a gamer, but I don't think of games as a hobby.

So the Wii, by creating and attracting non-handcore/standard gamers, in turn creates hardcore /standard gamers. This gamers have recognizable traits: they rather get a good game than some random game that looks interesting on the surface. With a user base of 100 million, PS2 created the most hardcore/standard gamers of all consoles. The Wii is doing the same. It will always appeal to non-gamers, even if they don't evolve to hardcore/standard gamers. A section of the newly created Wii market will want deeper games than Wii sports, and Nintendo is already hard at work to meet these demands. Furthermore, casual games will always be around to appeal to all, and attract new gamers. Thats why I love Wii sports so much. Its a break from the deep games I have been recently into.

So the Wii, the console hardcore gamers on this board bash so much, is creating more gamers of your kind, but with a greater love for simply fun games. Games are more than an art form. They are not to be looked upon and appreciated. They are to be PLAYED! While I am concerned at the lack of deeper games on the Wii right now, I know a ton are on the way, and more casual oriented games, like Super Paper Mario, can hold me over with a simple; that game is hilarious!

peter1191

Yeah like theMTV they attract the casuals then MTVaducate them to like real talented musicians.

sparkypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 sparkypants
Member since 2007 • 2609 Posts

ArisShadows

Untrue, technecly I was BORN a hardcore gamer because my dad bought an SNES when I was born(as an excusse to play it himself) and I began playing video games at a very young age. I then got a Genisis which was amazing, then a Playstation(when it was first released on my birthday) and a PS2 later on. oh and for the record I'v also been drawing since I was in 1st best artist in my class all the way though Highschool!