Extra crap is still CRAP.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Svarthek
Member since 2005 • 1431 Posts
Why oh why do we tack on extra features this gen?

Wii:  News, Weather, Photo, and Everyone Votes Channels

PS3 and 360: Music, Movies, Pictures ect. (Less knoledgable because I don't own them yet)

Why oh why do we have this crap?  Who uses this stuff?  Don't we all have home computers for this?  Even if it is convenient, is it worth the extra money when most gamers have a better way to do it?  I even saw something about Sony putting something into their cell phones that connects with the PS3.  Does anyone buy into that?

All I wanted was something to play games on.  Not a multimedia center.  Now we have $400+ systems and tons of product confusion.  Sorry for the rant, but It's definately getting on my nerves.  Anyone else feeling this?
reyad-u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 reyad-u
Member since 2006 • 6960 Posts
yea it is conveient but as long as you dont have to pay for it, and its optional, theres nothing wrong with it is there? its only when you have to pay for soemthing you dont really want that becomes annoying.
wallpaper42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 wallpaper42
Member since 2005 • 4127 Posts

Umm actually I love having movies, music, and pictures, along with a web browser on my PS3... That stuff isn't crap at all. Infact it is pretty much a standard feature now-a-days.

Ibacai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Ibacai
Member since 2006 • 14459 Posts
I like being able to stream all of my music from my PC to my PS3. Nothing like a good sound system and tons of music. :D
chutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#5 chutup
Member since 2005 • 7656 Posts

I agree for a lot of things like weather and internet access. We have computers for that. But most people's PCs aren't set up for home entertainment - they're usually in smaller rooms (mine is in the middle of a corridor :| ), they don't have couches, they don't have good speakers etc. it's better to set up a home entertainment center elsewhere from your PC. And when you do that it's a lot better to route all your entertainment - games, movies, music - through one system if you can. It's cheaper, easier and more centralised.

However they have to make sure that they really give the same service as the product they're trying to beat. For example the PS2 can play DVDs but I always play DVDs on my DVD player because the PS2 has horribly slow fast-forwarding and terrible controls unless you shell out more cash for a PS2 remote. Now soon I'm getting a PS3 which could make my HDD/DVD player obsolete, if the PS3 can record stuff off the TV onto its hard drive. But I don't think it can.

Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Svarthek
I like being able to stream all of my music from my PC to my PS3. Nothing like a good sound system and tons of music. :DIbacai

Thats all good and well.  I'm glad your happy with it.  But I can probably guess that you dont NEED you PS3 to do such things.  You have other electronics dedicated to those specific functions right?  I think console in general would cost less if they were more dedicated gaming machines rather than attempting to do what other electronics we own can already do.  I'm just coming from the perspective of a poor college student with no need for another media archive.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts
That is what happens when an electronics company and a computer software company enter the market.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts
I don't mind, as long as it's free :D
Avatar image for FluffyMuffinMan
FluffyMuffinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FluffyMuffinMan
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts

Yeah, I love listening to stuff on suround sound instead of stereo,

and hey, it's freaking free.

Svarthek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Svarthek

FluffyMuffinMan

How do you know it's free?
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts
I told him.
Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

I'm not going to speak for other systems, but for the PS3, it was planned to be the system that pretty much destroys every other media processing electronic in your home entertainment as well as do some computer work. About that mobile phone connecting to the PS3... Phil said something that made me realize its use. It went sortof like... your friend was suppose to be online playing Motorstorm so you send him a message via MMS to his cell phone.

That kind of connectivity isn't extra. It's advancement.

[QUOTE="FluffyMuffinMan"]

Svarthek

Actually, it's not just free, it's giving away at the cost of the company.

Avatar image for FluffyMuffinMan
FluffyMuffinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FluffyMuffinMan
Member since 2006 • 35 Posts
[QUOTE="FluffyMuffinMan"]

Svarthek

Because I do it without paying,

if you mean "what if they included it in the console price" than I'm sure they didn't, I mean if they're already trying to cut the price why keep a stupid feature like that there instead of making it cheaper?

veni-vidi-vici

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 veni-vidi-vici
Member since 2007 • 1299 Posts
nah, i like it. it's not a problem. thier trying to integrate it into our lives, i know the wii expects you to play a little evryday, read the news and weather everyday, and i love looking at my photos on tv. and doodling on them is hella funny.
aalsheh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aalsheh
Member since 2006 • 489 Posts

i can c where u coming from man, and givin the option id rather have my ps3 only play games and can play online than have all the other crap and make it cost that much

yeah, they talk about it's optional and free,, no it's not... if it was just the console itll cost less... and all the other options are honest to goodness halfassed...

i mean the browser? please, it's a joke. the movie player? tell me why in hell is it limited to few formats.... ohh ppl say "wait" sony will update it... ok tell when? they didnt wait to take our $600, dont get wrong, i didnt mind paying, still dont...

ill im saying is, yeah, for a game console these other things are crap

Blitz_Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Blitz_Nemesis
Member since 2005 • 8042 Posts
OMG IM TYPING THIS FOR THE SECOND TIME, THANKS GS!!!!!!
I like the ps3 and 360's features. Its cool to be able to watch movies and trailers on your system. Music is good too because you can listen to your music IN GAME!!!(Well at least on the 360 but his this feature is coming to ps3 very soon.) But pictures i could do without unless i was able to customize my background with these pics.
As for the wii i find its features rather pointless. Weather?News?Voting Channels?WTF?
mazdaspeed-rx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mazdaspeed-rx8
Member since 2007 • 1000 Posts
I love what Sony and MS has done with their consoles for multi media. i love sony more due to Blu ray (because i do not own hd dvd addon for my 360) but as for streaming music, internet etc im loving it.
chimpiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chimpiki
Member since 2004 • 2014 Posts
When you buy a car, you're really looking for the essentials. You want something that'll get you from A to B, you want something safe, reliable, fuel efficient, and something that's not too harsh on the environment. That in mind, I'm not going to complain that a radio and/or CD player comes standard on just about every car in North America these days, as does air conditioning in a few cars, power windows, cup holders etc. None of these things are necessities, but I still don't mind or complain about having them.
Oh, and before I got my PS3 I was with the topic starter, I was thinking "WTF? Who wants to download movie and game trailers to their console, I can do that on the PC." That said, my PC isn't a 42 inch HDTV, and I've since downloaded eight trailers and four demoes in the last three days.
manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
Exactly. I have a laptop that I love and I will always listen to music, see my pics, and surf the net on that. If the 360 costs less for not having those, I'd love that.
Dr_Neptune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dr_Neptune
Member since 2007 • 510 Posts
i use the video streaming feature on my 360, its really useful. i just wish it supported AVI.
Adramelech-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Adramelech-
Member since 2004 • 1221 Posts
Features like news and weather are not costing you anything. The Everybody Votes channel is a great way to spend 45 seconds a day. Why would you complain about stuff that is most likely not adding a dime to cost?
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

It would be stupid not to have software that utilizes the hardware you're buying to do extra things. Why not put extra crap in if all it takes is software?

Blu-ray is debatable for PS3 except for the fact that Sony has been losing more than the entire added cost of Blu-ray on each unit the entire time. They're essintially just giving it to us in the hopes that it pays off... and it is.

cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
Hey I used to think the same thing until I found that surfing the web on my wii from my room was alot more relaxing then going donwstairs I enjoy extra features I just dont like people basing a whole console around them.