Everything sucks without Day 1 update

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

What can we do to overturn this culture? Updates have turned from being a contingency into a complacency. Developers no longer feel they need to release their product in good working condition. Updates should be reserved for bugs which are identified along the way upon release, not for releasing a sub-optimum product before it's finished and attempt to finish that remaining 10-20% when product enters production, and thus necessitate a Day 1 update.

I know, it's 2013. Everyone does this. But it's a classical case of a system which isn't bad by nature, but is utterly abused. Pretty much like DLC

Avatar image for AK_the_Twilight
AK_the_Twilight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 152

User Lists: 0

#2 AK_the_Twilight
Member since 2008 • 286 Posts

There should be at least some degree of functionality and worth from a console before an update is installed. Gamers want to dive into their new console's features as soon as possible, so I think it's a barrier that just makes the buildup to primetime that much more awkward.

Should they go away forever? I don't think so, since it's a matter of making a street date on time, but some basic features like playing retail disc games and hardware-based multimedia like CD's or DVD's should still be offered pre-update.

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

Look at the size of the games. Look at the hundreds of employees working on them. There is a lot to getting a game out the door and always a dead line. It is a high stress environment and with bigger budgets come bigger expenses. Pretty soon a games will reach levels where a flop could shut down the studio.

The DLC is getting out of hand, most if it isn't good. I could see if it was more quality but usually it is just to get a few people to bite on making a $60 a $70 or whatever.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#4 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I think it makes sense honestly. No reason to hold up stuff when you can release it earlier and deliver the same content.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@cain006 said:

I think it makes sense honestly. No reason to hold up stuff when you can release it earlier and deliver the same content.

Only if your internet doesn't go down, assuming you have it at all