uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59208 Posts

As it stands, at major milestone alpha 3.0, Star Citizen does not convince as a game. But as a picture-postcard-maker - as a demonstration of technology - it's virtually peerless. Standing on top of a canyon on a dusty, windswept planet, looking up at the suns and moons in the sky and knowing you can fly up to them is hair-raisingly cool.

But once you've seen the eye-popping sights, once you've flown down from space onto a planet and then back up again - once you've seen the beautiful Blade Runner hubs with their rebellious posters on murky walls and flickering neon lights - there's little to do. You can buy fancy-looking guns, you can even buy a great big railgun, which charges up and then very satisfyingly unloads, but there's nothing to kill.

There are a handful of missions to run, but they're tepid and boring. One, for instance, is an off-the-books private investigation which, admirably, can go either way depending on the evidence you find. You are to search an eerily quiet, abandoned comms station to get to the truth. It sounds OK, doesn't it? But there's no excitement, just a few computer terminals and panels to interact with. No threat, no danger, just a mission to solve an insurance claim of all things. Then it bugged and I couldn't complete it as intended. It was all so typically Star Citizen.

Star Citizen remains a tantalising prospect, and a controversial one. Perhaps the solutions I am after are right around the corner, mere moments away. Perhaps the core is inches from completion and content will soon be piped in willy-nilly and with joyous abandon, and the dream realised. Or perhaps we will be here a year from now, still stewing over the same issues. I, like many others, was led to believe alpha 3.0 would be the turning point, but what I see is an ever-growing mountain to climb, and my hope wanes.

Link

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#2 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

It's not a game anyway, just a scam.

Mr Roberts is loving his bank balance while laughing at you.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Could be the pitch for any michael bay movie

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

lol Fakegamer. Writers have shit taste in games. They're all one family. ;)

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

PC is getting the biggest, the baddest and the most boring 'walking simulator' ever created ?

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

It sounds like they could have achieved this sort of outcome sooner and with less money.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By scatteh316

@so_hai said:

It sounds like they could have achieved this sort of outcome sooner and with less money.

Easily... and the longer it takes to come out, the more other games advance graphically, the less special SC looks..... honestly it looks average now.

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

Game in alpha displays alpha like properties.

More news at 11.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Why I checked out a long time ago

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

After playing alot of 3.0 recently and seeing SQ42 , it convinces me, what do i care that some randomer from eurogamer doesn't feel the same?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#13 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I have no interest in this. I'll buy it when it's done, if it's done, and if it's good

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

It's still in Alpha and I'm impressed with what I've played so far. They still have a lot of work to do to make it more engaging but what's there is pretty solid, and I can't wait till it's more optimized and fleshed out.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

It’s a typical MMO walking simulator. Boring.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@naz99 said:

After playing alot of 3.0 recently and seeing SQ42 , it convinces me, what do i care that some randomer from eurogamer doesn't feel the same?

Couldn't agree more, sounds like he played it for an hour and thought "I'm bored I want to shoot things in a linear corridor with instant gratification for my limited attention span"

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And yet it has more content than most games coming out these days.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#18 BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17850 Posts

Legit concerns, but the game still has a lot of features and systems being developed for it constantly. I am sure there will be more gameplay elements added and the fun factor will improve.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52449 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Who cares if it ends up being repetitive and boring.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Game looks boring as hell and the graphics won't be all that impressive when the game is officially released in 8 years, so I kinda see his point.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34703 Posts

Are you saying the game isn't finished? Huh. Who would've known?

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#22 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14500 Posts

If this is the first red flag to you regarding this game, sit down and let us tell you a story...

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17453 Posts

After playing it on and off over the last 2 years, Id have to agree.

Sometimes I question what it is, and what the devs are doing.

Its an awesome technical showcase, but there is an EXTREME lack of cohesion and direction for a game that has been in development for so long.

Its like they keep adding new features and planets for exploration, but it doesnt seem like they actually plan to release it any time soon.

They need to finish the game and release it, then work on adding features and stuff later, either in an expansion or DLC

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

It's a tech demo, it always striked me as one.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@navyguy21 said:

After playing it on and off over the last 2 years, Id have to agree.

Sometimes I question what it is, and what the devs are doing.

Its an awesome technical showcase, but there is an EXTREME lack of cohesion and direction for a game that has been in development for so long.

Its like they keep adding new features and planets for exploration, but it doesnt seem like they actually plan to release it any time soon.

They need to finish the game and release it, then work on adding features and stuff later, either in an expansion or DLC

I disagree..

The sooner we as a game community get away from the idea of box products the better we will be. Games like Star citizen have a community driven quality about them and rely heavily on interaction. Trying to drive a game with this much scope creep to complete just does not sound like the best idea. I would prefer that fix bugs at this point but release in phases. Most fun I had in this game was when me and my clan mates decided to raid the security outpost, and I was space walking with a sniper rifle pulling security on doors. Shooting someone while floating in the shadows of the space station is awesome. Just like sneaking on board someones ship and tossing a grenade in the cockpit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#26 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

But it has so many Ks and FPS how can it not be a good game? I say it's impossible!

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

So the argument is, that an Alpha isn't a finished game? Did Captain Obvious post this article?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 scatteh316

SC is like playing GTA5 with 90% of the NPC's removed.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

The more I hear about this game, the less appealing it becomes.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@thepclovingguy said:

The more I hear about this game, the less appealing it becomes.

It's the same with no man sky, the moment you have to push a question after watching multiple amounts of content about it

"but what do i do in this game"

It's already enough of a answer.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#31  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@uninspiredcup:

So pc gamers have been ripping on games like Uncharted for being walking simulators but they're willing to defend Star Citizen for actually being one deliberately. Hypocrisy at its finest.

whalefish82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By whalefish82
Member since 2013 • 511 Posts

I think the problem is they've given too much access to it. It's such an ambitious project that releasing bits of it in an unfinished state and allowing so much user feedback is just raising the bar of expectation to a stupidly high level, one that I don't think they can ever hit.

It looked like a much more interesting game when we only saw glimpses of it through videos. Once you've seen big chunks of gameplay—available to anyone right now—that consists mostly of walking or flying around in a glorious but empty husk of a tech demo, it loses a lot of impact.

Malibutomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Malibutomi
Member since 2016 • 79 Posts

WOW an alpha version is not confincing if seen as a full game. Shocking!!

BTW i spent more time playing SC 3.0 than some recent games campaign.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#34 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Oh my God. End of the world. Eurogamer said Star Citizen didn't convince them. What are we going to do now? Meh. Star Citizen is becoming everything I wanted it to be, especially Squadron 42.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Star Citizen is the equivalent of a No Man's Sky, Shemume 3, or a Kojima Project under Konami (Thank god he left so he would really let is creative juice bless us with something amazing other than Metal Gear). It's hype is so big that whatever comes out will never match what we expect.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@nepu7supastar7 said:

@uninspiredcup:

So pc gamers have been ripping on games like Uncharted for being walking simulators but they're willing to defend Star Citizen for actually being one deliberately. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Star Citizen is a space simulator

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GarGx1

@360ru13r said:

Star Citizen is the equivalent of a No Man's Sky, Shemume 3, or a Kojima Project under Konami (Thank god he left so he would really let is creative juice bless us with something amazing other than Metal Gear). It's hype is so big that whatever comes out will never match what we expect.

Watch this video and you'll maybe understand why comparing Star Citizen to No Man's Sky or even Shenmue 3 is just dumb. As for a Konami game or restrictions, behave, you don't get more free reign than Chris Roberts has with Star Citizen, backers are literately pushing them to do as much as they can with the game, no restrictions and no holds barred .

Jump to 5:18 if you don't want to hear other "disappoint" claims being, as the video title says, "destroyed".

Loading Video...

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 scatteh316

@GarGx1 said:
@360ru13r said:

Watch this video and you'll maybe understand why comparing Star Citizen to No Man's Sky or even Shenmue 3 is just dumb. As for a Konami game or restrictions, behave, you don't get more free reign than Chris Roberts has with Star Citizen, backers are literately pushing them to do as much as they can with the game, no restrictions and no holds barred .

Jump to 5:18 if you don't want to hear other "disappoint" claims being, as the video title says, "destroyed".

Loading Video...

A SC fan boy telling people they're wrong.......how unexpected ?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GarGx1

@scatteh316: A Systems Wars troll commenting on something he has no clue about, what a surprise!

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By scatteh316

@GarGx1 said:

@scatteh316: A Systems Wars troll commenting on something he has no clue about, what a surprise!

A SC fan boy resorting to name calling because he has no genuine counter argument, what a surprise!

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

When will PC fanboys understand, nobody cares about their tech demos.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#42 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

When will PC fanboys understand, nobody cares about their tech demos.

Yet console fanboys obsess over bringing it down.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43  Edited By Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

Star Citizen is the biggest scam in the history of mankind.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@nepu7supastar7: I know it’s bait but the game isn’t finished.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

@GarGx1: I'm not saying that Star Citizen will be a disappointment in gameplay or factors that have to deal with the product itself. I'm saying that the hype and wait for this game is never going to meet it's expectations. I believe that when it releases it will be good just not to the quality or expectations that people hope for.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By GarGx1

@scatteh316: Counter argument to what exactly? A troll trying to get a rise on a gaming forum? Nah, I'm not wasting my time with that.

@360ru13r said:

@GarGx1: I'm not saying that Star Citizen will be a disappointment in gameplay or factors that have to deal with the product itself. I'm saying that the hype and wait for this game is never going to meet it's expectations. I believe that when it releases it will be good just not to the quality or expectations that people hope for.

I know, that's why I posted that video. Disappointment comes when you expect something and get something completely different. No Man's Sky promised an online game (among other grandiose claims) when it released, it was immediately apparent that most of their claims were hogwash. On the other hand, with Star Citizen, any backer can go and play what's there right now (for non backers there are free weekends), we know what's in it and how it plays. There are no surprises and no disappointment when you already know what's there and continue to do so as C.I.G. continue to build the game.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#47  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Juub1990:

I get that it's not finished but if this were a console only game, pc fan boys would be laughing at it. That's my point. I'm not trying to bait anyone here, I'm serious.

tonylogan007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tonylogan007
Member since 2011 • 101 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

@scatteh316: Counter argument to what exactly? A troll trying to get a rise on a gaming forum? Nah, I'm not wasting my time with that.

@360ru13r said:

I know, that's why I posted that video. Disappointment comes when you expect something and get something completely different. No Man's Sky promised an online game (among other grandiose claims) when it released, it was immediately apparent that most of their claims were hogwash. On the other hand, with Star Citizen, any backer can go and play what's there right now (for non backers there are free weekends), we know what's in it and how it plays. There are no surprises and no disappointment when you already know what's there and continue to do so as C.I.G. continue to build the game.

Off topic, I just saw the word hogwash and honestly didn't know it meant anything besides being the name of a drink in Starpoint Gemini so I'm a bit mind-blown right now. Now to get in on the topic - I really hope C.I.G. makes Star Citizen a great game, but the question is when. Everyone was hyped about it a few months back but now I see more and more people saying it will be the same thing as with No Man's Sky.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Yeah, that's been my concern for a while now. While many are complaining about how the game will never "release", I'm just sitting here wondering if it will ever be a cohesive and enjoyable game.

To which the defense force jumps on my nuts about how "it's a sim", as if I haven't enjoyed my share of sims, or as if a sim can't be fun on an interactive level. I hate the lazy knock of calling something a tech demo, heard it wrongfully used a thousand times over to describe Crysis, but Star Citizen does seem to warrant that description to a degree. An elaborate display of killer tech first, but a game second.

Yes, I do realize that it's far from complete, and yes of course they had to nail the framework first, it's understandable. But you can't blame people for wanting to see an enjoyable game within that framework at this point rather than something that simply functions.

Well done to CIG for all that they've accomplished so far, they've certainly knocked down some grueling challenges. I just hope they can pull it all together eventually.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46498 Posts

Meanwhile Eurogamer keeps gushing over games like Destiny and PUBG.

I still very much like their articles, but I wouldn't say their taste is anywhere near mine.

Eurogamer also flopped your precious Shadow Tactics uninspired :P