Eurogamer: Skyrim is shallow, boring. Dark Souls is captivating, intriguing

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 -Damien-
Member since 2004 • 5355 Posts
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-article
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

Tom Mcshea will make it big there at EG..... we all love tom! don't we

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50648 Posts

Lol, this should be fun.

Austindro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Austindro
Member since 2011 • 856 Posts

96 > 89

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I agree. I was way hooked on Dark Souls when I first started playing. Couldn't put it down

Skyrim on the other hand, while fun, just hasn't really been worth my time I've invested so far. All personal opinion of course.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Eurogamer has taste? good to know. agreed with them, it does look like a one messed up game

-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Damien-

96 > 89

Austindro
Advertising & Marketing Budget: 100 million > 1 million YUP!!
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

meh, I love skyrim even if you can nitpick at it. Havent tried dark souls, but demons souls seemed kind of been there done that to me at the beginning. maybe Ill try it again but the first hour or so wasnt that interesting for me.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

[QUOTE="Austindro"]

96 > 89

-Damien-

Advertising & Marketing Budget: 100 million > 1 million YUP!!

they got there by making awesome games for years. The big trailers were just pure gameplay. unlike something all hype like gears of war 3 or call of duty 100000.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
What a misleading title. The article is specifically about the narrative capabilities of the two games. In fact, in Eurogamer, Skyrim is 10 and Dark Souls is 9.
clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29827 Posts

Don't really care. I like them both for their own reasons.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-article-Damien-

In reference to eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-saboteur-aa-blog-entry and I quote.

"In the meantime, what we have is something that's new and genuinely exciting from a technical standpoint. We're seeing PS3 attacking a visual problem using a method that not even the most high-end GPUs are using."

Eurogamer didn't factor in AMD's developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/AA-HPG09.pdf

It was later corrected by Christer Ericson, director of tools and technology at Sony Santa Monica and I quote

"The screenshots may not be showing MLAA, and it's almost certainly not a technique as experimental as we thought it was, but it's certainly the case that this is the most impressive form of this type of anti-aliasing we've seen to date in a console game. Certainly, as we alluded to originally, the concept of using an edge-filter/blur combination isn't new, and continues to be refined.This document by Isshiki and Kunieda published in 1999 suggested a similar technique, and, more recently, AMD's Iourcha, Yang and Pomianowski suggested a more advanced version of the same basic idea".

AMD's Iourcha, Yang and Pomianowski's papers refers to developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/AA-HPG09.pdf

To quote AMD's paper

"This filter is the basis for the Edge-Detect Custom Filter AA driver feature on ATI Radeon HD GPUs".

Eurogamer's "not even the most high-end GPU are using" assertion IS wrong.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

Agreed. Skyrim is pretty lame. Bethesda use the "carrot on a stick" method to fool people into thinking they're playing a huge epic game with a huge world to explore, when in reality 80% of the game are fetch quests and locations that offer nothing of interest.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

Eurogamer has taste? good to know. agreed with them, it does look like a one messed up game

finalstar2007
How would you know? You haven't played either. You said you wouldn't get Dark Souls because Demons Souls was too hard :lol:
theuncharted34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 theuncharted34
Member since 2010 • 14529 Posts

[QUOTE="-Damien-"]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-articleronvalencia

In reference to eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-saboteur-aa-blog-entry and I quote.

"In the meantime, what we have is something that's new and genuinely exciting from a technical standpoint. We're seeing PS3 attacking a visual problem using a method that not even the most high-end GPUs are using."

It was later corrected by Christer Ericson, director of tools and technology at Sony Santa Monica and I quote

"The screenshots may not be showing MLAA, and it's almost certainly not a technique as experimental as we thought it was, but it's certainly the case that this is the most impressive form of this type of anti-aliasing we've seen to date in a console game. Certainly, as we alluded to originally, the concept of using an edge-filter/blur combination isn't new, and continues to be refined.This document by Isshiki and Kunieda published in 1999 suggested a similar technique, and, more recently, AMD's Iourcha, Yang and Pomianowski suggested a more advanced version of the same basic idea".

AMD's Iourcha, Yang and Pomianowski's papers refers to developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/AA-HPG09.pdf

To quote AMD's paper

"This filter is the basis for the Edge-Detect Custom Filter AA driver feature on ATI Radeon HD GPUs".

Uhh... This was probably your most random post ever.

Just sayin'. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#16 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

Here in 'Merica, Skyrim has my vote for GOTY.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
Didn't they also give fable II a 10? :P
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

finalstar2007
Did you even play skyrim? And can you prove that you did?
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DireOwl
Member since 2007 • 3352 Posts

Most people would not agree, including me. My opinion Skyrim > Dark Souls. Metacritic's opinion Skyrim > Dark Souls. At the end of the day though these are all just opinions. The only people that are actually loosing are the ones who refuse to play either.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18259 Posts

After reading what Skyrim is all about i know for sure that is not my cup of tea and i can see myself getting ridiculously bored with it, Dark Souls got me quite entertained for quite a few weeks.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 funsohng

Most people would not agree, including me. My opinion Skyrim > Dark Souls. Metacritic's opinion Skyrim > Dark Souls. At the end of the day though these are all just opinions. The only people that are actually loosing are the ones who refuse to play either.

DireOwl
And in Eurogamer, it's also Skyrm (10) > Dark Souls (9)....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

After reading what Skyrim is all about i know for sure that is not my cup of tea and i can see myself getting ridiculously bored with it, Dark Souls got me quite entertained for quite a few weeks.

madsnakehhh
Skyrim is the only game this year I have honestly heard no real complaints about.
ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

[QUOTE="ronvalencia"]

[QUOTE="-Damien-"]http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-07-telling-tales-skyrim-and-dark-souls-articletheuncharted34

To quote AMD's paper

Uhh... This was probably your most random post ever.

Just sayin'. :P

The point, Eurogamer's info can be wrong.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
dark souls is also very hard, frustrating and its not accessible at all. meanwhile skyrim is easy to get into, fun and you basically tell your on story and the world is gorgeous. not to mention is has an amazing soundtrack that is the best this year and maybe this whole gen, idk
DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DireOwl

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

funsohng

Weird, looks like this Rich Stanton feller might be a black sheep. :P

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 funsohng

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="DireOwl"]

DireOwl

That would be because the article in question actually has nothing to do with which game is better....
-Damien-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -Damien-
[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

funsohng

The moneyhat effect wears off after a month
BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts

DireOwl
Nice post. The games are polar opposites in a lot of ways.
deangallop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 deangallop
Member since 2004 • 3811 Posts

eurogamer is the worst, and I'm not just saying that because of their wrong opinion in this case.

A lot of their reviews contain atrocious writing.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Animal-Mother

Wow someone really likes dodging my questions. It's happened twice now.

DireOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DireOwl

[QUOTE="DireOwl"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"] And in Eurogamer, it's also Skyrm (10) > Dark Souls (9)....funsohng

That would be because the article in question actually has nothing to do with which game is better....

I does a little bit. Narrative and world exploration are some the key features in WRPGs and the author is saying more or less he prefers Dark Souls in these categories. I kinda see what your typing to though. He never says that Dark Souls > Skyrim or the like.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Oh no someone's opinion. BURN IT BURN IT, THEIR OPINION IS FACTUALLY WRONG, I HAVE NUMBERS, THOSE ARE FACTS, RIGHT. There's some good points there, shame OP has a sensationalist title and can't be bothered actually creating a link. Go internet.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

realguitarhero5

Skyrim is the only game this year I have honestly heard no real complaints about.

What!? Do you come to SW often!? :P

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

Agreed. Skyrim is pretty lame. Bethesda use the "carrot on a stick" method to fool people into thinking they're playing a huge epic game with a huge world to explore, when in reality 80% of the game are fetch quests and locations that offer nothing of interest.

Peredith

Wait, so, Skyrim doesn't have a huge open world?:o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"][QUOTE="madsnakehhh"]

MLBknights58

What!? Do you come to SW often!? :P

No, for a reason. I stick to my appropriate platform's forum the most. But, between reviews, the PC forum, chatting with friends, and the general buzz about town, no one really has any problem with anything in the game. In fact, a number of friends that generally look down on games are having a blast with Skyrim, as opposed to what you would generally think the "ultra-casual" player would get into.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

They are both equally overrated in my humble opinion.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

They are both equally overrated in my humble opinion.

Masculus

Eh... not exactly what I was going to say, but close.

Both were equally fun, for me and any RPG fan. Skyrim is spread a bit more thin but also bigger and more addicting, yet Dark Souls is more captivating and polished and creative.

Both are great, and I actually like to pretend I'm playing the same characters in both game. Just, Dark Souls is what happens in his nightmares and Skyrim is the waking hours of my character, and considering how I'm a thief in both games and look the same in both games, it totally works out for me.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Both are very good. Choosing between them is too hard

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

What a misleading title. The article is specifically about the narrative capabilities of the two games. In fact, in Eurogamer, Skyrim is 10 and Dark Souls is 9.funsohng

I see what you mean now when you once said people ignore your posts, friend. :P

Anyway

/thread

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Animal-Mother

He hasn't even played Dark Souls.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

Da_lil_PimP

AHAHAHAHAH you're kidding me right?
DrHousesCane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DrHousesCane
Member since 2011 • 773 Posts

I enjoyed Both.

archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 archvile_78

[QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] Did you even play skyrim? And can you prove that you did?Animal-Mother

As someone else pointed later on in the topic he didn't because Demon Soul was too hard.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#44 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"] He hasn't even played Dark Souls.archvile_78

As someone else pointed later on in the topic he didn't because Demon Soul was too hard.

When your main game you play is Call of Duty..... :P
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Animal-Mother

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="Da_lil_PimP"] He hasn't even played Dark Souls.archvile_78

Sometimes I don't read through and just post when I see something. I love when opinions are formed when someone hasn't even tried it.
Solid_Sterb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Solid_Sterb
Member since 2010 • 1703 Posts

I agree. Although, its a preference that depends on whether you like the vagueness of Dark Souls or the more direct approach of Skyrim. Both are good in their own ways.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#47 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] I love when opinions are formed when someone hasn't even tried it.

Welcome to System Wars :P
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 archvile_78

[QUOTE="archvile_78"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] AHAHAHAHAH you're kidding me right?Animal-Mother

Sometimes I don't read through and just post when I see something. I love when opinions are formed when someone hasn't even tried it.

Oh i know, i'm the same way. If i usually see a post that interest me, i normally quote it right away. ;D

and lol, i know right?

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Animal-Mother
[QUOTE="Slashless"][QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] I love when opinions are formed when someone hasn't even tried it.

Welcome to System Wars :P

I know im stating the obvious. I've been here for years. i remember when people used to hide it better. Sigh the glory days are over.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

though I like skyrim, that is true. for once i agree with eurogamer