Epic threatens to bring Gears to ps3...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-61ff675e61178
deactivated-61ff675e61178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-61ff675e61178
Member since 2004 • 12558 Posts

I figured i'd repost this seeing as the original poster got immediately banned for ban-dodging...

From N4G:

It would seem that Developer/Publisher relations between Epic and Microsoft Game Studios is at an all time low and even spilling out into the public. In short, Epic has had to break every rule they've laid down for themselves and their reputation with the PC gaming community in the name of Microsoft profiteering... and they know it!

Cliff Bleszinski of Epic has even been quoted as threatening Microsoft to port over GeOW to the PS3 to try to leverage some developer rights over the content of the game and XBox Live, but they have already inked the contract and Microsoft is winning much to the chagrin of Epic.

While this doesn't seem likely seeing as MS owns the rights to the first two Gears titles, this just shows how Epic truly cares about the gamers.  They wanted the Gears map pack to be free, and not cost $10 like MS made them charge for it.  They're standing up to MS and their bull*** micro-transactions.  I've read in other articles that they think that games should actually be getting cheaper, like down to the DVD level, so that the gaming market would grow substantially and everyone would benefit. 

I love Epic! :oops:

UT ftw!

*****Edited for more stuff*****

Here's the article where Mark Rein of Epic says games should be priced around the level of DVDs... 

Here's the exact quote:

A very smart man, Dave Jones, told me the other day that ultimately, games need to be the same price as DVDs. If we could sell these kind of quantities, that would be do-able. I mean, I don't know if we can get down to DVD prices anytime soon, that's going to take exponential growth to the size of our marketplace, if we could get a percentage of the resale revenue. I don't mean a guy selling on Ebay, I mean the stores. Mark Rein

And then another one from the same article:

I hate to hear people talk about "We're going to charge more because it costs more". Sure, it costs more because you're developing using better technology and making better games. Not just because you're wasting money developing your own tools - there's a lot of people that are doing that.

You could consider me a little disingenuous on this because I've got technology to sell to people, but there's other technology you can buy, not just ours. People who are trying to re-invent the wheel are spending way more money than they should. Our own games, we're seeing a 30-50% increase in cost, but we're expanding our teams and make much better games.

UT 2007 is way more detailed than any UT games we've done prior to this title. It's not processed three times, and it's not costing us 30 million USD. There's no excuse for us to raise the price. I hope retail and rental dovetail into that and hopefully reduce the people playing our games that aren't paying us. When we worked with Atari, they sold our games for $39 and we actually agree with that policy. Reduce the price of our game, not increase it.

It's a little more difficult to do that on consoles because you're paying royalties to the manufacturers, but you're paying royalties to subsidise the machine and marketing. If we were able to share with them the money they make from rentals and retail, that could help lower the price. I hate hearing people want to raise the price. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it. My point is that if we can make it more affordable, we can grow the market. One of the ways we can do that is to use Unreal Engine 3 and take advantage of the productivity gains you can take from that. Mark Rein

Psycho-Mantis-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Psycho-Mantis-
Member since 2007 • 62 Posts

Hmmm... Interesting, I wonder how would the ms fans react if that ever happens...

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
Not going to happen, but it would be nice if games got that cheap.
greenleaf2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 greenleaf2000
Member since 2006 • 1259 Posts
Epic FTW! One of the best developers around!
dmaximum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dmaximum
Member since 2004 • 700 Posts
Very interesting.
Deactivation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Deactivation
Member since 2007 • 1026 Posts
I'm going to say this is the worst PR we've seen in gaming. Even worse than anything Sony has pulled off since the PS3 debut.
souledge474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 souledge474
Member since 2004 • 239 Posts

it will never happen

if it did though...cows would be hyping it to no end

cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts
Either the story is a fake, or cliff doesn't understand business contracts epic signed with MS. Either way someone is an idiot. Everyone knows that gears cannot ever go to the ps3 simply because the gears 1 &2 licence belong to MS. Who knows what will happen after the release of 2 but that is the reality no matter who gets mad at who.
Deactivation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deactivation
Member since 2007 • 1026 Posts

it will never happen

souledge474

I gurantee it would not longer be called "Gears of Jaggies" or "6 hour boring game" or "only 8 player online lol" ever again.

Twisted_Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Twisted_Hawk
Member since 2005 • 579 Posts

Not going to happen, but it would be nice if games got that cheap.MTBare

Can I see your magic ball?

freeload

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 freeload
Member since 2003 • 8139 Posts

I figured i'd repost this seeing as the original poster got immediately banned for ban-dodging...

From N4G:

It would seem that Developer/Publisher relations between Epic and Microsoft Game Studios is at an all time low and even spilling out into the public. In short, Epic has had to break every rule they've laid down for themselves and their reputation with the PC gaming community in the name of Microsoft profiteering... and they know it!

Cliff Bleszinski of Epic has even been quoted as threatening Microsoft to port over GeOW to the PS3 to try to leverage some developer rights over the content of the game and XBox Live, but they have already inked the contract and Microsoft is winning much to the chagrin of Epic.makingmusic476

While this doesn't seem likely seeing as MS owns the rights to the first two Gears titles, this just shows how Epic truly cares about the gamers.  They wanted the Gears map pack to be free, and not cost $10 like MS made them charge for it.  They're standing up to MS and their bull*** micro-transactions.  I've read in other articles that they think that games should actually be getting cheaper, like down to the DVD level, so that the gaming market would grow substantially and everyone would benefit. 

I love Epic! :oops:

UT ftw!

To be frank. Excluding exclusivity contracts, there is no good reason for it not being on both Xbox 360 and PS3 imo. If there is a way they can get it on the system and make money doing so etc, then they should...

zerooslo7990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zerooslo7990
Member since 2006 • 1222 Posts

Good for them, they shouldn't bow to M$'s wishes.

It'll never happen though.

Redfingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redfingers
Member since 2005 • 4510 Posts
Listen guys, I've seen 2 different links with the same content that's in this one. There's nothing to see here, no news, no confirmation from any additional sources, move along please.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Finally, someone who cares.  If things get worse I'd expect to see Gears 3 multiplat or atleast PS3/PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-61ff675e61178

[QUOTE="MTBare"]Not going to happen, but it would be nice if games got that cheap.Twisted_Hawk

He doesn't need one.  Froma legal standpoint, it just can't happen, unless MS decides for no reason to rip up the contracts it signed with Epic, which i don't think they'd be very keen on doing. :P
dmaximum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dmaximum
Member since 2004 • 700 Posts

it will never happen

souledge474
Why shouldn't they? I mean they were told that it couldn't be done on PS3 right. But then again fanboys are bad for gaming.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts

[QUOTE="MTBare"]Not going to happen, but it would be nice if games got that cheap.Twisted_Hawk

Sure it's called common sense, I'm not t3h 0nly 0n3 wh0 h0ldz thi5 p0w3r!!!1!!! 

istayonfireboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 istayonfireboy
Member since 2007 • 600 Posts

it will never happen

souledge474

epic only has a contract that says that they have to keep the first two gow exclusive to the 360 we dont know what they will do with the 3 if ms keeps pissing them off. epic loves pc gamers alot more then 360 owners thats were they started and thats were they want to end ms making them charge for downloads makes them want to makes them want to put gow3 on the pc and the ps3 just for that reason. is the money getting to ms heads. lol 

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Wow I wonder if they really said that and if they did you can count on GOW 3 to go else where....Unless Mircosoft does something to make them happy....Was it not to long ago M$ came out and said a comment about how Epic does not mind costing them billions or something.....
Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

it was taken from 'Sony Protection Group' that a great source.

From what I understand MS owns the right to Gears so, sorry cows no Gears for you. Hey maybe in 5 years you can play it on the PC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-61ff675e61178
[QUOTE="souledge474"]

it will never happen

istayonfireboy

epic only has a contract that says that they have to keep the first two gow exclusive to the 360 we dont know what they will do with the 3 if ms keeps pissing them off. epic loves pc gamers alot more then 360 owners thats were they started and thats were they want to end ms making them charge for downloads makes them want to makes them want to put gow3 on the pc and the ps3 just for that reason. is the money getting to ms heads. lol 

It got to their heads decades ago, my boy.
BlazeDragon132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 BlazeDragon132
Member since 2006 • 7951 Posts

Epic should just go ahead and do it, it makes them less baised that way.

souledge474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 souledge474
[QUOTE="souledge474"]

it will never happen

dmaximum

Why shouldn't they? I mean they were told that it couldn't be done on PS3 right. But then again fanboys are bad for gaming.

They've been bad mouthing gears more than any other 360 game....its like the hipocracy of lemmings wanting MGS4, after bashing it during e3

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts
i hope everyone knows this story came from a sony website called sonyprotectiongroup.com so i would take this information with a grain of salt
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

Well done EPIC :) for sticking with the gamers.

MS :( 

Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts

i hope everyone knows this story came from a sony website called sonyprotectiongroup.com so i would take this information with a grain of saltParadiddleFill

I don't know about the gears coming to PS3, but the falling out of EPIC over the map packs is nothing new, they were going to release them for free until they were basically told NO. 

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts
I'd rather play it on the pc, where it's been confirmed.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Cheers to Epic for standing up to MS. Hopefully other developers follow suit. And games priced the same as DVD's? YES!!!!!!
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
Just give us Gears 2 and we'll call it even!;)
SolidSnake2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidSnake2020
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts
If MS is not letting them do what they want they should.
pundog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pundog
Member since 2006 • 4491 Posts

Just because the other 2 or 3 posts in this thread apparently aren't enough to get it through some peoples heads:

MS owns the rights to the first 2 GeoW titles, its not coming to the PS3 until at least (if ever) GeoW 3.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

it was taken from 'Sony Protection Group' that a great source.

From what I understand MS owns the right to Gears so, sorry cows no Gears for you. Hey maybe in 5 years you can play it on the PC

Chaos_HL21

They own the rights for the first 2.....Also "if true" it could keep future games from coming on the M$....If true this could be a huge score for Sony 

Avatar image for fatzombiepigeon
fatzombiepigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fatzombiepigeon
Member since 2005 • 8199 Posts
Seeing as MS published it, I doubt it.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Epic has big heads and big mouths and If this is true... Makes it even more so.

I know there taking that money made on XBL and not asking any kind of question.

If they wanna give us something for free. Why not make a extra disc for future Gears of War games sold... That has all that content. Like a gold edition... But they wont do it because of the money they are making.

Why not release this content on an OXM disc or put it up for free on there site?

Boggles the mind. XBL is not the only way to get content.

Solid-CELL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Solid-CELL
Member since 2006 • 5910 Posts

"These guys were also one of the first to show off their game engine running on early PS3 devleopment hardware at E3 '05. It seems almost like a perfect match. "

intriguing...maybe the PS3 is actually the best console to make Epic's upcoming games on. Screw the MAN! (MS) 

BlazeDragon132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 BlazeDragon132

[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]i hope everyone knows this story came from a sony website called sonyprotectiongroup.com so i would take this information with a grain of saltHoobinator

I don't know about the gears coming to PS3, but the falling out of EPIC over the map packs is nothing new, they were going to release them for free until they were basically told NO.

Totally, Epic is making a stand for gamers by saying MS is wrong for not letting them go free. Valve will also no probably release any content for 360 version of Half-Life Ep 2 due to them sticking with free. PS3 version will probably get all content though. 

BlazeDragon132

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BlazeDragon132

Just because the other 2 or 3 posts in this thread apparently aren't enough to get it through some peoples heads:

MS owns the rights to the first 2 GeoW titles, its not coming to the PS3 until at least (if ever) GeoW 3.

pundog

They own the right to publish it. It can be taken away if Epic funds to publish it on its own.  

Pro_wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Pro_wrestler
Member since 2002 • 7880 Posts
MS annoys me, the company with the most assests(In the trillions of dollars) is pressed for money? Come on MS, don't be puss cratchers. "bu buh buh....teh moneeh, teh mooooooneh" f*gs
battle7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 battle7
Member since 2007 • 131 Posts
OMFG there's some dumb cows on 2nite just had get that off my chest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-61ff675e61178

Here's the article where Mark Rein of Epic says games should be priced around the level of DVDs. 

Here's the exact quote:

A very smart man, Dave Jones, told me the other day that ultimately, games need to be the same price as DVDs. If we could sell these kind of quantities, that would be do-able. I mean, I don't know if we can get down to DVD prices anytime soon, that's going to take exponential growth to the size of our marketplace, if we could get a percentage of the resale revenue. I don't mean a guy selling on Ebay, I mean the stores. Mark Rein

And then another one from the same article:

I hate to hear people talk about "We're going to charge more because it costs more". Sure, it costs more because you're developing using better technology and making better games. Not just because you're wasting money developing your own tools - there's a lot of people that are doing that.

You could consider me a little disingenuous on this because I've got technology to sell to people, but there's other technology you can buy, not just ours. People who are trying to re-invent the wheel are spending way more money than they should. Our own games, we're seeing a 30-50% increase in cost, but we're expanding our teams and make much better games.

UT 2007 is way more detailed than any UT games we've done prior to this title. It's not processed three times, and it's not costing us 30 million USD. There's no excuse for us to raise the price. I hope retail and rental dovetail into that and hopefully reduce the people playing our games that aren't paying us. When we worked with Atari, they sold our games for $39 and we actually agree with that policy. Reduce the price of our game, not increase it.

It's a little more difficult to do that on consoles because you're paying royalties to the manufacturers, but you're paying royalties to subsidise the machine and marketing. If we were able to share with them the money they make from rentals and retail, that could help lower the price. I hate hearing people want to raise the price. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't have it. My point is that if we can make it more affordable, we can grow the market. One of the ways we can do that is to use Unreal Engine 3 and take advantage of the productivity gains you can take from that. Mark Rein

Ericvon71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ericvon71
Member since 2004 • 3219 Posts

i hope everyone knows this story came from a sony website called sonyprotectiongroup.com so i would take this information with a grain of saltParadiddleFill

Hate to burst you little bubble by that isn't the only site it is on

http://www.n4g.com/News-42702.aspx

ParadiddleFill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ParadiddleFill
Member since 2007 • 3506 Posts

[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]i hope everyone knows this story came from a sony website called sonyprotectiongroup.com so i would take this information with a grain of saltEricvon71

hate to burst your bubble but the story came from sonyprotectiongroup.com

Psycho-Mantis-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Psycho-Mantis-
Member since 2007 • 62 Posts

it will never happen

souledge474

Remember...Remember...The devil May Cry Treacherous Multiplating Plot , You can trust no one in the gaming world my friend , never use the word never pardon the contradiction and always listen carefully...

thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

Hmmm... Interesting, I wonder how would the ms fans react if that ever happens...

Psycho-Mantis-

Why wonder, they'll probably call it a floppy N year old port. 

Chaos_HL21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 Chaos_HL21
Member since 2003 • 5288 Posts

[QUOTE="ParadiddleFill"]i hope everyone knows this story came from a sony website called sonyprotectiongroup.com so i would take this information with a grain of saltEricvon71

on the end of the page it had "[via sonyprotectiongroup.com]"

ForTheNguyen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ForTheNguyen
Member since 2007 • 385 Posts

*bursts bubble* 

souledge474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 souledge474
[QUOTE="souledge474"]

it will never happen

Psycho-Mantis-

Remember...Remember...The devil May Cry Treacherous Multiplating Plot , You can trust no one in the gaming world my friend , never use the word never pardon the contradiction and always listen carefully...

oh nooo:cry:

nybritboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nybritboy
Member since 2005 • 774 Posts

maybe Epic should donate all those DLC dollars to charity

this seems like a case of Epic trying to look like the good guys but getting to eat their cake as well