Elite: Dangerous, launch price,budget and TV ad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Price and Pre-Order Bonuses :

Elite: Dangerous will cost $60 when it's released on PC, but you can preorder the game's Mercenary Edition right now for $50 and some extra rewards, developer Frontier Developments has announced.

If you preorder the Mercenary Edition, you'll get a digital download of the game, an Eagle fighter ship docked in a secondary location in the game, and an exclusive pack of ship paint jobs. You'll also get a digital players guide, a "day one" ship decal, a digital concept art book, and more digital rewards to be announced over the coming weeks. If you've already preordered the game, don't worry. You'll receive everything that's included in the Mercenary Edition too.

Frontier Developments have yet to announce when exactly it will release this year, but you can start playing the game right now by buying your way into the beta for $75, which will get you the Mercenary edition as well.

Budget :

"The original budget, because we put a lot of our money towards it, was £8m," David Braben - the man in charge - told me at Gamescom. And, he added, "it's grown by quite a lot".

"We're a public company so we can't put out figures without first putting them to the City, but let's just say we're very, very happy."

My take : Before crowd funding , beta access and private investors their budget was £8m , which means more than 10 million USD . Now I think it is somewhere close to 20million .

TV Ad :

Source 1

Source 2

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

the trailer was abit..boring.

they could've added hella alot more to show off some more features

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cloud_imperium
@lawlessx said:

the trailer was abit..boring.

they could've added hella alot more to show off some more features

TV ads are mostly only 30 seconds long , so ...

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

Is there a release date ?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

No idea what this is about. Sounds low budget so it must suck

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@lostrib said:

No idea what this is about. Sounds low budget so it must suck

wasn't at the conferences at E3 so it must not be worth my time and money

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

I am very interested in this game as I love how they have a scaled version of the actual universe modeled using data from Nasa. It has sooooo many star locations and such that are real and true to placement in the actual universe and you can go to them all. This is a very big game and I'm anticipating it and Star Citizen, this probably more so but Star Citizen will have a bigger player count.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Cloud_imperium
@jhonMalcovich said:

Is there a release date ?

Not yet , but 3 days ago , David said that the game is still scheduled to launch this year . My guess is November or late October .

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cloud_imperium
@nini200 said:

I am very interested in this game as I love how they have a scaled version of the actual universe modeled using data from Nasa. It has sooooo many star locations and such that are real and true to placement in the actual universe and you can go to them all. This is a very big game and I'm anticipating it and Star Citizen, this probably more so but Star Citizen will have a bigger player count.

Yeah . It is amazing to see how both games are from same genre , yet so different . Star Citizen on one hand is a Space Sim for next generation (but will have challenging gameplay) with great visuals , hype , characters , hollywood like art style etc . While Elite: Dangerous feels more old school , realistic , with billions of star systems, and realistic art style etc . Can't wait for both .

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:
@nini200 said:

Yeah . It is amazing to see how both games are from same genre , yet so different . Star Citizen on one hand is a Space Sim for next generation (but will have challenging gameplay) with great visuals , hype , characters , hollywood like art style etc . While Elite: Dangerous feels more old school , realistic , with billions of star systems, and realistic art style etc . Can't wait for both .

Pretty much sums it up

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

after the disappointment x-rebirth turned out to be i eagerly await for Elite. For what i've seen so far the game looks great and also looks quite polished

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#13 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Does this game have a single player style campaign?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@pelvist said:

Does this game have a single player style campaign?

No. It's 100% open-ended. The single player is just like the multiplayer without players in the world. That's how the old games were.

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Wasdie: Thanks Wasdie, i remember Elite Frontier on the Amiga. I was hoping this would at least have some kind of single player element that introduces you to the game mechanics.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Wasdie  Moderator

@pelvist said:

@Wasdie: Thanks Wasdie, i remember Elite Frontier on the Amiga. I was hoping this would at least have some kind of single player element that introduces you to the game mechanics.

Well there is a series of missions you can play that act as a tutorial for the various game mechanics. These put you in various scenarios disconnected from the open world. It doesn't cover the trading, mining, exploration, or basic navigation systems, just the combat. It's better than nothing.

The game itself is actually not very hard to learn. The UIs are extremely informative and intuitive. So in the long run it's not the worst omission but it would be nice to have a series of single player missions to run player's through all of the mechanics.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

This is such a good game, even while unreleased! I'm excited to see how the mining will be implemented into the game. Should be fun to cruise out into deep space and pull fuel off a gas giant or go mine on some random valuable asteroid I've found. I'm anxious to see how it all turns out at release but right now it's already a fantastic space sim.

If you pick it up grab a TrackIR, it really pulls you into the game being able to look around you while flying, fun stuff!

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

So its like X3 then?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Is there any guide to the games progression? what makes it last?

Last I read of the game people are complaining because they are caving in to single player care bears by making the world and MP part optional and isolated.... kinda sucks.

I need practice before star citizen. I know Elite will be good in its own right... but to me it just has a terrible art style.... terrible ship designs, looks slow.... and abit souless. but then the game itself could be a blast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Wasdie said:

@pelvist said:

Well there is a series of missions you can play that act as a tutorial for the various game mechanics. These put you in various scenarios disconnected from the open world. It doesn't cover the trading, mining, exploration, or basic navigation systems, just the combat. It's better than nothing.

The game itself is actually not very hard to learn. The UIs are extremely informative and intuitive. So in the long run it's not the worst omission but it would be nice to have a series of single player missions to run player's through all of the mechanics.

Do you need a joystick to get use to this properly?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@MBirdy88 said:

@Wasdie said:

@pelvist said:

Do you need a joystick to get use to this properly?

Pretty much. Playing with a mouse and keyboard is possible, but the flight model favors a joystick.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

This game has a tv advertisement?

Must mean it's good.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

not the best trailer i've ever seen, but i'm pretty keen on ED.