EA recommends users GUESS their serial numbers

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kalel559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -8

User Lists: 0

#1 Kalel559
Member since 2003 • 9621 Posts
"A few gamers who purchased Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 encountered a problem with their installs - EA had misprinted some of the serial numbers needed for activation. While the necessary code was 20 characters long, they'd only printed 19-character codes.

No biggie. The logical solution is that EA supplies customers with new codes, which they're happy to do if you're willing to photograph your serial and email it in. Otherwise, they've offered the public what must be one of the saddest "workarounds" in DRM history:

There is currently a work around that may allow you to bypass this issue. Since you have the first 19 characters of the code already, you can basically try "guessing" the last character. To do this, simply enter your existing code, and then for the last character, try the letters A-Z, and then the numbers 0-9. You should eventually get the right combination, and be able to play the game.

In other words, try all 36 possible combinations and you'll get there soon enough. If you've been shorted the complete serial number, we'd recommend guessing all 1.33674945 × 10^31 combinations.[EA]"

http://gizmodo.com/5075094/ea-recommends-users-guess-their-serial-numbers

Oh EA. I can't think of any reason why gamers don't support you?!

FirstDiscovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 FirstDiscovery
Member since 2008 • 5508 Posts
Oh wow EA just dont stop do they:lol:
Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts
I don't see any problem with this. Mistakes are made. **** happens. You can take a picture and prove you bought the game to get a new serial or you can guess the last character. Both solutions are 5 minutes worth of work. No biggy here. I don't really like EA, but bashing them because of this is just silly.
POJO_MOFO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 POJO_MOFO
Member since 2004 • 5525 Posts
Whatever you do, dont go and complain about them on their forums...
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts
:P Oh god, that is so lame. And what's up with these serial cock ups anyway, I think the NBA game that recently came to PC had similar issue, that's unforgivable imo. I'd return the game and demand my money back for selling a defective product, then I'd go download the torrent just to get my revenge.
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mephisto_11
Member since 2008 • 1880 Posts
lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EA
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts
lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EAmephisto_11

Joke?
Kalel559

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -8

#8 Kalel559
Member since 2003 • 9621 Posts
I don't see any problem with this. Mistakes are made. **** happens. You can take a picture and prove you bought the game to get a new serial or you can guess the last character. Both solutions are 5 minutes worth of work. No biggy here. I don't really like EA, but bashing them because of this is just silly.Arsuz
Don't rain on my hate-parade!
Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts
lol yeah i just guessed the 20th digit, but before that i spent 30 min going wtf is going on.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
I dont see the problem...just 36 possible variations....it takes wat...1minute? I think u guys are making too bg a deal outta this.
loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts
So, it sonly the last digit? No big deal really.
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mephisto_11

[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EAJLF1

Joke?

not saying i would pirate it but i would definately skip it. i don't like giving money to companies that want to have us by the balls and write the rule book. expecting customers to inconvenience themselves that much for the errors they made is ridiculous.

BuryMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 104

#13 BuryMe
Member since 2004 • 22017 Posts

:lol: that's EA for you.

That's the dumbest solutio to any problem I've ever heard :lol:

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Geez guys...it's a misprint on the packaging. They're offering to completely replace the key if you want, or they suggested a workaround if you don't want to wait for that. I mean I understand that the hate for EA is usually dialed up to 11, but this seems a little over the top...
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JLF1

[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EAmephisto_11

Joke?

not saying i would pirate it but i would definately skip it. i don't like giving money to companies that want to have us by the balls and write the rule book. expecting customers to inconvenience themselves that much for the errors they made is ridiculous.

It was a mistake, very stupid but still a mistake.

If we don't buy the good games EA will only make crap games that sell.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts
You know, I hate EA as much as the next person, but this is notthing to complain about. they messed up, sure, every company does it.
So they offered you two solutions:
1. Take a picture of the serial and send it them, they shall than send you the last digit.
2. If you don't feel like bothering with all that, simply try and guess the final digit.

Whaty else were they going to do? Recall every copy of the game and than slap new serial codes on, and than ship it out again? Any idea how long/how much money that would cost?
warmaster670

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 warmaster670
Member since 2004 • 4699 Posts
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EAJLF1

Joke?

this, its a concept the blind EA haters cant seem to understand

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Wow sad...
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EAJLF1

Joke?

companies make mistakes and that's completely understandable. but the way they are handling the solution seems like they are brushing aside people who paid $50 for a game and forcing them to inconvenience themselves further than they should. EA should have know that with their already bad rap that this is just going to disgruntle customers even further.

example of a good way to handle a mistake: apologize and add a 3 year warranty (ms with the 360). remove offensive content from a game (talking about lbp, though i 100% disagree with the outcry about this)

bad examples: denying the problem and forcing the customer to buy a replacement (Ps2 DRE), expecting the customer to search for troubleshooting for widespread errors on their own (nvidia with the widespread nvlddmkm errors for a long time.)

KinderChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 KinderChimp
Member since 2008 • 238 Posts
Ha-Ha. EA are just looking for da money. However they've made some exceptional games this year including Dead Space and Mirror's edge.
darkslider99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkslider99
Member since 2004 • 11374 Posts

warmaster670

You realize the reason most people hate EA is because there trying to buy out the industry, right?
People dislike the fact they chug out bad games to make money, but who really cares if there just some small company. But when they start to try and buy the industry, and build a monopoly, that's the problem. A monopoly is a very bad thing for the consumer.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Teuf_

companies make mistakes and that's completely understandable. but the way they are handling the solution seems like they are brushing aside people who paid $50 for a game and forcing them to inconvenience themselves further than they should. EA should have know that with their already bad rap that this is just going to disgruntle customers even further.

mephisto_11

So what would be your acceptable solution to the problem?
mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

Teufelhuhn

phone call and have the problem solved within 2 minutes

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JLF1
[QUOTE="warmaster670"]

darkslider99

You realize the reason most people hate EA is because there trying to buy out the industry, right?
People dislike the fact they chug out bad games to make money, but who really cares if there just some small company. But when they start to try and buy the industry, and build a monopoly, that's the problem. A monopoly is a very bad thing for the consumer.

EA isn't buying out more game devs than MS, Sony or Nintendo.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JLF1
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

mephisto_11

Finding that last digit can't take more than 5min.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Teuf_

mephisto_11

How is that any better than sending in a photo? At least with the photo you don't have to wait on hold for 30 minutes.
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mr_mozilla

You know, I hate EA as much as the next person, but this is notthing to complain about. they messed up, sure, every company does it.
So they offered you two solutions:
1. Take a picture of the serial and send it them, they shall than send you the last digit.
2. If you don't feel like bothering with all that, simply try and guess the final digit.

Whaty else were they going to do? Recall every copy of the game and than slap new serial codes on, and than ship it out again? Any idea how long/how much money that would cost?
darkslider99
But guessing doesn't work if the serial is completely missing like some of them apparently were, not an issue for us that hang on the gaming forums etc. but could be quite an annoyance for e.g. to a casual gamer who gets the game as a gift and has no idea about serials and such.

And Clear Sky was recalled due to missing CD keys so it's not impossible. Anyway, this is not that uncommon, one would think that whoever prints them serials had some sort of quality control and would notice it in time, but I guess not.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

Teufelhuhn

How is that any better than sending in a photo? At least with the photo you don't have to wait on hold for 30 minutes.

EA is not like verizon or other large networks. they could handle this in a timely fashion and not dissatisfy customers further through using phone calls. the only catch is that it will run up costs and EA certainly doesnt like that.

regardless of my outlook on this matter or yours, most customers are not rational. EA already has a bad rep as having a draconian drm policy and a history of releasing bad games or ruining franchises people love.this situation only reinforces that view in people's minds. whether this is founded or not, we can't say but from a business and diplomatic point of view they should just suck it up and find a more convenient solution.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JLF1
[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

mephisto_11

EA is not like verizon or other large networks. they could handle this in a timely fashion and not dissatisfy customers further through using phone calls. the only catch is that it will run up costs and EA certainly doesnt like that.

regardless of my outlook on this matter or yours, most customers are not rational. EA already has a bad rep as having a draconian drm policy and a history of releasing bad games or ruining franchises people love.this situation only reinforces that view in people's minds. whether this is founded or not, we can't say but from a business and diplomatic point of view they should just suck it up and find a more convenient solution.

There isn't one.
Muhannad_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 Muhannad_basic
Member since 2002 • 3687 Posts

Geez guys...it's a misprint on the packaging. They're offering to completely replace the key if you want, or they suggested a workaround if you don't want to wait for that. I mean I understand that the hate for EA is usually dialed up to 11, but this seems a little over the top...Teufelhuhn

thats up to you, but am definitely not fine with spending hours trying to correct a mistake that the manufacturer made. Their solution is simply an insult, thats why I try to avoid EA products.

mephisto_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mephisto_11
[QUOTE="mephisto_11"][QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

JLF1

There isn't one.

when companies stand to gain something, there is always one

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#33 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Wow... EA is just a basket full of **** these days.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JLF1

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]Geez guys...it's a misprint on the packaging. They're offering to completely replace the key if you want, or they suggested a workaround if you don't want to wait for that. I mean I understand that the hate for EA is usually dialed up to 11, but this seems a little over the top...Muhannad_basic

thats up to you, but am definitely not fine with spending hours trying to correct a mistake that the manufacturer made. Their solution is simply an insult, thats why I try to avoid EA products.

How can it take hours?

You either send them a photo or try to find the last digit. That takes what? 10min?
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mr_mozilla
[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]

they should just suck it up and find a more convenient solution.

mephisto_11

There isn't one.

when companies stand to gain something, there is always one

I agree. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not exactly sure how the serial system works, but I imagine they could update their system so that serials are accepted even if the last digit is missing or something like that.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Teuf_

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]Geez guys...it's a misprint on the packaging. They're offering to completely replace the key if you want, or they suggested a workaround if you don't want to wait for that. I mean I understand that the hate for EA is usually dialed up to 11, but this seems a little over the top...Muhannad_basic

Hours? There's 36 possible values for that last digit. Let's say you were really slow, and it took you 20 seconds try each digit. On average you'd only get about halfway through the list before guessing the right one, so you're looking at 6 minutes. If you got unlucky and it was the last digit you guessed, 12 minutes. If you're quick and it took you 2 seconds for each guess, you'd probably be done in about 40 seconds.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts
Unnecessary hate here. They offered to give you a free key or you can guess the last digit of yours. Seriously what's the problem here?
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Teuf_
I agree. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not exactly sure how the serial system works, but I imagine they could update their system so that serials are accepted even if the last digit is missing or something like that.mr_mozilla

So you'd rather wait for them to get together a patch, put it through QA and testing, and publish it to their website rather than just guess a single digit of code? Or just have them email you a new one?
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mr_mozilla

[QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]I agree. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not exactly sure how the serial system works, but I imagine they could update their system so that serials are accepted even if the last digit is missing or something like that.Teufelhuhn

So you'd rather wait for them to get together a patch, put it through QA and testing, and publish it to their website rather than just guess a single digit of code? Or just have them email you a new one?

No ..well yes for a long term, people will be having this issue for a while so it could at least help some people. But what I really meant is to change the serials from their end if that's possible. I guess that would take a while too, but they get paid for it, so they should work it out.

Toro_Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 Toro_Nev
Member since 2008 • 1074 Posts
Wow, thats pretty sad..... But it does work o.0
Nikalai_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Nikalai_88
Member since 2006 • 1755 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]I agree. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not exactly sure how the serial system works, but I imagine they could update their system so that serials are accepted even if the last digit is missing or something like that.mr_mozilla

No ..well yes for a long term, people will be having this issue for a while so it could at least help some people. But what I really meant is to change the serials from their end if that's possible. I guess that would take a while too, but they get paid for it, so they should work it out.

Ahh so instead of going the quicker and simpler route they should instea go for one that is more complex, will take longer and is more prone to complications because people are unwilling to spent 10 minutes of their time? Not only that but I doubt that anyone who did expreince the CD-KEY issues is unhappy at this and would prefer to wait atleast a month longer just because they hate EA so much and expect them to do it for them.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#42 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
Man, some people on this forum are sooo pathetic. I mean geez, they gave you two perfectly viable options to correct the situation, but apparently that's not enough for these people. Geez. Get over it already. I have no love for EA, but making this big a deal out of this sort of thing is beyond any measure of reason.
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mr_mozilla
[QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"][QUOTE="mr_mozilla"]I agree. Where there's a will, there's a way. I'm not exactly sure how the serial system works, but I imagine they could update their system so that serials are accepted even if the last digit is missing or something like that.Nikalai_88

Ahh so instead of going the quicker and simpler route they should instea go for one that is more complex, will take longer and is more prone to complications because people are unwilling to spent 10 minutes of their time? Not only that but I doubt that anyone who did expreince the CD-KEY issues is unhappy at this and would prefer to wait atleast a month longer just because they hate EA so much and expect them to do it for them.

Why would they need to wait a month? Telling people to guess and sending e-mails doesn't cost them much, those aren't even solutions, they're band aid. They could easily work on alternative solution while people keep guessing the keys. EA's support is notorious as is their DRM, that's why I won't be cutting them any slack when it comes to issues like this.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts

[QUOTE="JLF1"][QUOTE="mephisto_11"]lol i almost regret buying dead space. F you EAmephisto_11

Joke?

So then why do you support Microsoft when thousands of people have had to experience the inconvenience of being without a 360 for weeks while it's at the repair shop for RROD (which is an error on MS's part)?

:|

I'd much rather spend 10 minutes guessing a simple single digit due to a misprint rather than having no console for a few weeks due to a major design flaw...

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts

what a bunch of bull.

Whatever you do, dont go and complain about them on their forums...POJO_MOFO

why, will they come down with the ban hammer?

nw030

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nw030
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts
really whats wrong with that. They said they would give you the full code if u send them proof you brought the game. If you don't feel like it just guess the last number that's not that hard.
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
I'm guessing the last line is a joke? Please? :P
Redgarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Redgarl
Member since 2002 • 13252 Posts

No wonder why some peoples prefer to get cracked games... pirates get rid of securerom and other software damaging crap out of it before seeding it...

I am all for buying games... but when does it means the consumer must pay the price of the non-consumer? :o

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts
EA's DRM policies= the reason why people pirate. Seriously wtf.
Dahaka-UK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Dahaka-UK
Member since 2005 • 6915 Posts
Actually it's a perfectly logical solution to the problem. It's either wait for a new serial number or guess the damn number or letter which wouldn't take long at all. I see no other alternative option.