EA Financials Are In: PC Making more money than consoles

• 147 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

didn't EA just aqcuire popcap? then you have their whole left foot in the facebook gaming arena which is included here...yeah not something to be proud of.
But as before it can be pointed out.

When sales aren't concerned PC users have no problem with declaring the evils of casual gaming such as facebook and web portals...once sales come into they mix they grab onto such areas as though they were long lost brothers.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#103 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

didn't EA just aqcuire popcap? then you have their whole left foot in the facebook gaming arena which is included here...yeah not something to be proud of.
But as before it can be pointed out.

When sales aren't concerned PC users have no problem with declaring the evils of casual gaming such as facebook and web portals...once sales come into they mix they grab onto such areas as though they were long lost brothers.

WilliamRLBaker

He is wrong anyway, read the last few pages of this thread.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

why is it 90% of the time pc gamers are the ones talking about pc gaming dying?

hypoty

this is a phenomenal question right here. the majority of the times i see this phrase nowadays, it's coming from pc gamers. lol it's like they feel they have to convince themselves as well as others that what they're investing their hard earned time and money into is somehow relevant.

the fact is, console gamers couldn't care less either way.

Console gamers flamed the PC during it's transition period from only disc-based media to digital distribution in around 2004-2006. PC was an easy target during those years. Now that things are shifting it's natural that PC gamers mock those old arguments that were proven to be false.

:lol: that was over 5 years ago, get over it already.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]
this is a phenomenal question right here. the majority of the times i see this phrase nowadays, it's coming from pc gamers. lol it's like they feel they have to convince themselves as well as others that what they're investing their hard earned time and money into is somehow relevant.

Mograine

Really now?

Did you already forget the miriads of "PC gaming is dying" threads with TCs posting NPD/VGC data (which is retail only) and claiming poor sales, while in fact most of times you had to double that number due to DD?

Console gamers couldn't care less? Do you think it was hermits who made these threads? Or are you just plain wrong?

actually a pc fanboy (i refuse to use those ridiculous SW terms) did create this thread. and yes, i guess i have forgotten these "miriads" of pc gaming is dying threads because i do not see them nearly as much as you are claiming.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

Really now?

Did you already forget the miriads of "PC gaming is dying" threads with TCs posting NPD/VGC data (which is retail only) and claiming poor sales, while in fact most of times you had to double that number due to DD?

Console gamers couldn't care less? Do you think it was hermits who made these threads? Or are you just plain wrong?

actually a pc fanboy (i refuse to use those ridiculous SW terms) did create this thread. and yes, i guess i have forgotten these "miriads" of pc gaming is dying threads because i do not see them nearly as much as you are claiming.

It's called 'buyer's remorse' and 'post-purchase rationalization'. They feel the need to justify their purchase as the ultimate 'thing'.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

Really now?

This isn't a "PC gaming is dying" thread so I have no idea what has this thread to do with what I said.

"Forgetting" implies a past moment. "Past". "I do not see them" is, again, irrelevant.

You answered to the other guy saying it was 5 years ago.

I beg to differ.

PC gaming officially dying (notice the discrepancy between thread title and OP)

Epic president: PC gaming industry is dying

Why PC gaming is going to be the first to die

PC gaming IS dying...

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 SkyWard20

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Really now?

Mograine

This isn't a "PC gaming is dying" thread so I have no idea what has this thread to do with what I said.

"Forgetting" implies a past moment. "Past". "I do not see them" is, again, irrelevant.

I beg to differ.

PC gaming IS dying...

Most of those threads are ancient. The other one doesn't even seem like it's serious -- iPad replacing the PC ?

Try again.

Sparky04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Sparky04
Member since 2006 • 3390 Posts

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]Not surprising there. Especially not for Activision Blizzard. The company that owns WoW makes most of its money from the PC? Shocker.

SaltyMeatballs

Except this is EA and not Activision Blizzard.

TC mentions Acti/Blizzard which is so obvious it was pointless mentioning.

The company also makes Call of Duty, the series with the first and second best selling game this generation primarily on consoles.
Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Errr looking at the chart PC is making less money then the PS3 let alone consoles in general. Joke thread or self ownage?

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

Really now?

Mograine

I beg to differ.

PC gaming IS dying...

lol that's cute that you actually spent the time to go through year old threads, but that proves nothing. you notice how in my original post i mentioned not seeing a lot of "pc gaming is dying" threads nowadays? yeah, that's what i meant. you bring up threads dating back 4 years ago.

...and i never said those threads were 5 years ago and we haven't seen them since, please read what i wrote again. someone said that between 2004-2006 the pc was vulnerable to attacks because of the transition to digital media and now pc gamers are giving it back. i then said to get over it, that was 5 years ago.

...and sure, this isn't a "pc gaming is dying" thread, but that was one of the first things that the TC mentioned. why does he feel the need to prove anything to the "pc is dead" crowd? why even bring it up? to prove something to himself?

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts

That's coz they have more games on PC. What if we only compare sales of multiplats?

Harisemo

Did you even look at the report? For the time period in discussion EA released 3 games for each platform, and they are only involved in the retail version of one of those games for the PC (Portal 2). If anything this should favor the consoles since a large portion of the sales for portal 2 must have gone through Steam.

As for the report, to me what it shows is that given a more or less even playing field (i.e relatively equal number of games released across all platforms) the PC can not only compete financially with any of the consoles but also win. It just goes to prove there is as much money to be made on PCs as consoles and there is no rational financial reason why any multi-platform game should not come out on the PC.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Mograine

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

I beg to differ.

PC gaming IS dying...

SkyWard20

Most of those threads are ancient. The other one doesn't even seem like it's serious -- iPad replacing the PC ?

Try again.

Learn to read.

Try again.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Mograine

lol that's cute that you actually spent the time to go through year old threads, but that proves nothing. you notice how in my original post i mentioned not seeing a lot of "pc gaming is dying" threads nowadays? yeah, that's what i meant. you bring up threads dating back 4 years ago.

...and i never said those threads were 5 years ago and we haven't seen them since, please read what i wrote again. someone said that between 2004-2006 the pc was vulnerable to attacks because of the transition to digital media and now pc gamers are giving it back. i then said to get over it, that was 5 years ago.

...and sure, this isn't a "pc gaming is dying" thread, but that was one of the first things that the TC mentioned. why does he feel the need to prove anything to the "pc is dead" crowd? why even bring it up? to prove something to himself?

lazerface216

In your original post you said

lazerface216

so no, you didn't say "nowadays". You added that AFTER I corrected you.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

Mograine

In your original post you said

lazerface216

so no, you didn't say "nowadays". You added that AFTER I corrected you.

READ MY ORIGINAL POST, and i quote:

"this is a phenomenal question right here. the majority of the times i see this phrase nowadays, it's coming from pc gamers."

...and again, the 5 years statement was referring to hypoty's post about the time between 2004-2006 when the pc was transitioning to DD. how are you not understanding this??

John_Read

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 John_Read
Member since 2009 • 1214 Posts

and yet all Ea games don't come for PC :P

gamer-adam1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 gamer-adam1
Member since 2008 • 4188 Posts

wans't there a thread about EA saying it makes more money from consoles?

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#118 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]Well every consoler has a PC....Morrdecai

Now, you know that isn't true.

That is true, how else would they get their video game info or look up strategy guides and cheats. If not they must be living in the 90's.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#119 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Interesting. Activation Blizzard had Starcraft and WoW, but it's a different situation with EA. Now EA is launching its own digital distribution service too.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

SaltyMeatballs

Not really... Last quarter, EA made more money on the PC than it did on the consoles. As I already stated before, despite what all the "accountants" in this thread want to claim, GAAP figures are not a good way of tracking the individual revenue of particular sectors of the company. The accounting techniques required by GAAP are good for keeping track of the overall status of a company as a whole, and for looking at where the books currently stand, but when you try to make market assumptions based on the GAAP figures there are too many things distorting the number.

The biggest thing last quarter was that EA acquired Popcap Games. IMMEDIATELY that drags down the PC GAAP figure, because EA paid more for Popcap than Popcap is worth, and GAAP requires that EA account for any discrepencies in the value of an acquisition. Since Popcap is primarily a PC driven acquisition, that majority of that discrepancy would fall under the PC. That is simply the most obvious factor.

Non-GAAP figures aren't just made up. They have a purpose and they do tell something about the company. When taken together with the GAAP figures, they tell a much more complete story than just one or the other. GAAP is definitely important, but with EA, the non-GAAP actually tells more about the performance of the different sectors of the company and is key in determining the performance of EA's acquisitions. Given how many acquisitions EA has had in the social gaming/PC casual market over the last few years, the non-GAAP figure is demonstrating that EA is having positive growth in those sectors of their business.

So.... In Q1 FY2012 for EA Games, PC was a greater source of Non-GAAP revenue, and likely a more profitable platform for EA than either of the consoles.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

EA please bring fight night and Skate to PC!

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#122 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

I wonder if that would be true if it were the beginning of a new console hardware cycle instead of 6 years into the longest generation so far.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 KingsMessenger

I wonder if that would be true if it were the beginning of a new console hardware cycle instead of 6 years into the longest generation so far.

donalbane

Probably since the installed base would be smaller and fewer games would sell. The Xbox 360 and PS3 would probably be generating greater revenue than the new consoles, although they would be declining.

Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
EA publishes a lot of casual games for PC. I hope PC users realize this before they go and toot their own horn. ;)
Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#125 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts
Then where are our PC exclusive hardcore games from them.. All I see then doing is putting a heavy dumbing down hand on bioware ala dragon crap 2. Where is A new ultima game or a new space sim or something that a oldschool loving PC gamer could buy? I'll tell you, no where because this damn company along with ms bought and shut down so many good studios through out the years.
ModernSnivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 ModernSnivy
Member since 2011 • 73 Posts

[QUOTE="ShyGuy0504"]

It makes sense because pcs far outnumber consoles in terms of systems sold.

Filthybastrd

Certainly not the 2000$ PCs we need to play flash games ;)

I had my PC built for under 800$ and it can run games like Crysis fine.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 lazerface216

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

[QUOTE="ShyGuy0504"]

It makes sense because pcs far outnumber consoles in terms of systems sold.

ModernSnivy

it's called sarcasm.

DevilAtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 DevilAtrix
Member since 2011 • 92 Posts

As a publicly traded company, EA has to release it's financial history to the public so that investors have access to the data they need to make sound investment decisions - or at least informed ones ;)

Well, the adjusted report from EA (non-GAAP) tells a story that might be of interest to the "PC IS DEAD!" crowd here in system wars.

This story paints the PC as the leading profit creating platform for EA. That's right, one of the biggest video game publishers out there makes more money from the PC than from either current gen console. It's followed by the xbox 360, and much later by the PS3.

It's a similar story (last year at least) with Activision/Blizzard for whom PC generates most of it's profit.

Just thought I'd share :p

EDIT: Forgot link:http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=594196

Kinthalis
You do realize the majority of that profit is coming from downloadble casual titles on sights such as facebook right? Are pc gamers claming that as a victory? Dead Space 2, Crysis 2 and Dragon age 2 all sold better on consoles.
DevilAtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 DevilAtrix

[QUOTE="ModernSnivy"][QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

lazerface216

it's called sarcasm.

Most the games that are selling well on pc could run on a 300 dollar pc from 10 years ago. Not sure if thats anything to gloat about.
lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="ModernSnivy"] I had my PC built for under 800$ and it can run games like Crysis fine.DevilAtrix

it's called sarcasm.

Most the games that are selling well on pc could run on a 300 dollar pc from 10 years ago. Not sure if thats anything to gloat about.

sure they could...

DevilAtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 DevilAtrix

[QUOTE="Mograine"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

Really now?

I see more playstation is dying then anything, eventhough its about to go on its sixth year.
DevilAtrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 DevilAtrix

[QUOTE="DevilAtrix"][QUOTE="lazerface216"]

it's called sarcasm.

lazerface216

sure they could...

They could actually, Facebook downloadable games are not to taxing on hardware.
AugustusGraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 AugustusGraham
Member since 2011 • 343 Posts

PC gaming will soon be extinct because it won't have Avatar-quality graphix. :P

nameless12345

It begins..

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 SkyWard20

lazerface216

I beg to differ.

PC gaming officially dying(notice the discrepancy between thread title and OP)

PC gaming IS dying...

Mograine

Really now?

Console gamers couldn't care less? Do you think it was hermits who made these threads? Or are you just plain wrong? Mograine

Like all hell I do!

KalEl370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 KalEl370
Member since 2007 • 907 Posts
And PC gamers are supposed to ge the smart ones? Lol! Great thread.
TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
I've bookmarked this thread for future reference. :D
coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#138 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

but the PC needs motion control how can this be and how can i play sims 3 without a gaming pc

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#139 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

KingsMessenger

Not really... Last quarter, EA made more money on the PC than it did on the consoles. As I already stated before, despite what all the "accountants" in this thread want to claim, GAAP figures are not a good way of tracking the individual revenue of particular sectors of the company. The accounting techniques required by GAAP are good for keeping track of the overall status of a company as a whole, and for looking at where the books currently stand, but when you try to make market assumptions based on the GAAP figures there are too many things distorting the number.

The biggest thing last quarter was that EA acquired Popcap Games. IMMEDIATELY that drags down the PC GAAP figure, because EA paid more for Popcap than Popcap is worth, and GAAP requires that EA account for any discrepencies in the value of an acquisition. Since Popcap is primarily a PC driven acquisition, that majority of that discrepancy would fall under the PC. That is simply the most obvious factor.

Non-GAAP figures aren't just made up. They have a purpose and they do tell something about the company. When taken together with the GAAP figures, they tell a much more complete story than just one or the other. GAAP is definitely important, but with EA, the non-GAAP actually tells more about the performance of the different sectors of the company and is key in determining the performance of EA's acquisitions. Given how many acquisitions EA has had in the social gaming/PC casual market over the last few years, the non-GAAP figure is demonstrating that EA is having positive growth in those sectors of their business.

So.... In Q1 FY2012 for EA Games, PC was a greater source of Non-GAAP revenue, and likely a more profitable platform for EA than either of the consoles.

Granted, I am a third year accounting student, and I have taken a closer look at those non-GAAP numbers. Granted, it appears that PC revenue is growing in the year over the quarter, while consoles have stagnated.

Since you seem to know more about accounting than I do, how do acquisitions impact the numbers of a single division? I've seen how an acquisition might shake up a company as a whole, but, I've never quite learned how it might impact a single division.

However, it's still important to note that consoles as a whole make more money than the PC.

EA's auditing firm, by all counts, seem to be quite conservative. I think this is the first time I've seen in financial statements a non-GAAP net income number to be smaller than the GAAP net income number, so their non-GAAP numbers might not be complete BS at all.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 KingsMessenger

[QUOTE="KingsMessenger"]

[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]

The_Capitalist

Granted, I am a third year accounting student, and I have taken a closer look at those non-GAAP numbers. Granted, it appears that PC revenue is growing in the year over the quarter, while consoles have stagnated.

Since you seem to know more about accounting than I do, how do acquisitions impact the numbers of a single division? I've seen how an acquisition might shake up a company as a whole, but, I've never quite learned how it might impact a single division.

However, it's still important to note that consoles as a whole make more money than the PC.

EA's auditing firm, by all counts, seem to be quite conservative. I think this is the first time I've seen in financial statements a non-GAAP net income number to be smaller than the GAAP net income number, so their non-GAAP numbers might not be complete BS at all.

Granted, I probably don't know more about accounting than you, but I do know how to look at a financial report and figure other what it is telling me... Regarding how an acquisition can impact individual sectors of a company you have amortize the debt/loss somewhere and given that poplar falls primarily under the pc sector, I would assume that EA is putting that burden there. And EA normally is quite conservative with their non-GAAP, trying to reduce it down to the simplest figure possible...
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Then where are our PC exclusive hardcore games from them.. All I see then doing is putting a heavy dumbing down hand on bioware ala dragon crap 2. Where is A new ultima game or a new space sim or something that a oldschool loving PC gamer could buy? I'll tell you, no where because this damn company along with ms bought and shut down so many good studios through out the years. Midnightshade29

I wish I knew sometimes.

I mean I know the games dont' sell much, and EA couldn't support itself on these oldschool games, but I still think that if there's some room for profit they could hire people to make games like that.

And who knows? Maybe one of them will be a hit. It's not uncommon to see low-budget games become huge successes. It seems like it'd be a good strategy in comparison to throwing hundreds of millions at Battlefield, and hoping it one day beats CoD.

ModernSnivy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ModernSnivy
Member since 2011 • 73 Posts

[QUOTE="ModernSnivy"][QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

lazerface216

it's called sarcasm.

Oh okay, sorry about that.
Rhinoburger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Rhinoburger
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
For PC's to be selling more than consoles, they would need to sell more than all consoles together.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#144 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

PC gaming will soon be extinct because it won't have Avatar-quality graphix. :P

nameless12345
Huh?
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#145 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
For PC's to be selling more than consoles, they would need to sell more than all consoles together.Rhinoburger
Ok Mr.Alt.
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
For PC's to be selling more than consoles, they would need to sell more than all consoles together.Rhinoburger
Why did you revive a 2 year old thread? But if we use only prebuilt PC numbers, companies sell more PC's in 3 months than Sony or Microsoft sold consoles the entirety of this gen. That's not counting custom built PC's...
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

"LOOK LOOK! PC DOESNT SUCK!!!! SEE!!! /fap fap fap fap OMG! /fap fap fap. I AM VALIDATING MY EXSISTANCE THROUGH MY PC!"

Thats what this thread reads like to me.

Oh and by the way, this thread is 2 freaking years old. You had to necro some old shit from 2011 in order to try and prove something that is completely invalid now?

Jesus christ in heaven....... level 1 with 1 post did a necro on this thread? Has got to be some PC fanboys alt.