EA: FIFA 12 PC is the same as the console version.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 mattuk69
Member since 2009 • 3050 Posts

FIFA 12 is as good on PC as it is on console, EA has insisted.

The new Player Impact Engine, which aims to deliver real-world physicality to the game, is included in the PC version.

This means the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions have an identical game engine and feature set – a first for the long-running series.

"This is the moment all PC gamers have been waiting for, as they are finally going to fully experience the award-winning FIFA gameplay on their preferred platform," executive producer Kaz Makita said.

"PC fans are going to enjoy the highest quality gameplay, deepest game modes and truest graphics ever developed for the platform, including our new live service EA Sports Football Club."

EA Sports Football Club, announced at E3, is a live service that connects players to the real-world game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-06-22-ea-fifa-12-pc-same-as-console-versions

If your a little confused on why EA are saying the PC and console versions are going be the same. Here's how the story goes.

For years PC had been getting shafted with last gen versions of FIFA. Horrible graphics, robot gameplay. Basically the PC got the same engine used for the PS2 and Wii. While Xbox and PS3 got a next gen engine with nice visuals and realistic gameplay. EA said not enough ppl who buy FIFA on PC can handle the console version.... This was around the time of FIFA 10 release. On the way to FIFA 11 apprantley PC gamers could now handle the console engine..... EA rushed (i would say) to optimize the engine for PC for FIFA 11. But PC gamers ended up with FIFA 10.1 with FIFA 11. It had missing features like pro passing and that goal keeper mode new for FIFA 11.

FIFA 09 PC

FIFA 10 PC

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.
AndersK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AndersK
Member since 2005 • 396 Posts

The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.BigBoss255

All Fifa games after 98 and 99 have sucked bawls

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

For years PC had been getting shafted with last gen versions of FIFA. Horrible graphics, robot gameplay. Basically the PC got the same engine used for the PS2 and Wii. While Xbox and PS3 got a next gen engine with nice visuals and realistic gameplay. EA said not enough ppl who buy FIFA on PC can handle the console version.... This was around the time of FIFA 10 release. On the way to FIFA 11 apprantley PC gamers could now handle the console engine..... EA rushed (i would say) to optimize the engine for PC for FIFA 11. But PC gamers ended up with FIFA 10.1 with FIFA 11. It had missing features like pro passing and that goal keeper mode new for FIFA 11.

mattuk69

Sport games are as lowest common denominator as you can get, they appeal to the broadest audiences available. These sort of people tended to not have the best hardware, often whatever GPUs a popular retailer threw in for media acceleration only. Hence, like you said, the ports of last generation versions.

That they have finally decided to release current gen versions of these games, tells us something about console performance and the PC performance install base that now exists. In other words, that a off the self PC can run current gen console games at this point.

Espereful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Espereful
Member since 2011 • 176 Posts

thats good news then

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

About time!

Remember a few years ago the devs were saying that PC couldn't "handle" the console engine.

LOL! That was hilarious.

TailBlood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TailBlood
Member since 2011 • 944 Posts

It can looks better, but I wouldn't play it on my pc... ever. There are 3 genres I don't do on pc. Sports, Figting and Racing (with excepcions).

Avatar image for JasonDarksavior
JasonDarksavior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8 JasonDarksavior
Member since 2008 • 9323 Posts
As if they'll say, "PC version will be inferior". Regardless of whether or not it is the same or inferior, of course EA will say this.
Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#9 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

Great news! I know they used the same engine as the xbox 360 and PS3 version for the first time for FIFA 2011, but they missed out some features like the special things you could do with the goalie. Great to see finally that they will use the same exact version as the Xbox 360 and PS3. I might actually pick it up now. Now if only they will have NFL 2012 on the PC.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Great news. There are a lot of footbal fans in the PC and i'm sure people will get it, provided it's a competitive product.

I would just hope that they allow for customization, if they add this it will bring a lot of people to buy the product. Most people are very eager to mod out Fifa or Pes games, in fact inthe PS2 era the only sorts of copies I could find being played were the modded ones - those got lost with the new (old) consoles. Unfortunately they have a strict control on servers and content, pulling the plug every year or so.

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lazerface216
Member since 2008 • 7564 Posts

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

AnnoyedDragon

Sport games are as lowest common denominator as you can get, they appeal to the broadest audiences available. These sort of people tended to not have the best hardware, often whatever GPUs a popular retailer threw in for media acceleration only. Hence, like you said, the ports of last generation versions.

That they have finally decided to release current gen versions of these games, tells us something about console performance and the PC performance install base that now exists. In other words, that a off the self PC can run current gen console games at this point.

what do you mean by lowest common denominator? is this supposed to be a cynical remark? i see you use it all the time...

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Firebird-5
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

lazerface216

what do you mean by lowest common denominator? is this supposed to be a cynical remark? i see you use it all the time...

it means the most basic level

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

Firebird-5

the most basic level of what? gamer? i'd like to think sports games have quite a diverse audience.

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

the most basic level of what? gamer? i'd like to think sports games have quite a diverse audience.

"Sport games are as lowest common denominator as you can get, they appeal to the broadest audiences available."

lazerface216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lazerface216

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

Firebird-5

"Sport games are as lowest common denominator as you can get, they appeal to the broadest audiences available."

i can see that, i'm not an idiot. what i'm saying is that the way he used the term "lowest common denominator" sounds like a shot at gamers who enjoy sports games. you do know that that term can be used as a slight, right? that's why i asked him what he meant by it...

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

i can see that, i'm not an idiot. what i'm saying is that the way he used the term "lowest common denominator" sounds like a shot at gamers who enjoy sports games. you do know that that term can be used as a slight, right? that's why i asked him what he meant by it...

if you say you've seen him use the term a lot i assume you've seen a lot of his posts. i'm not really in a position to be making character judgements but he doesnt seem to be the passive aggressive kind of guy, you know? not everything is an insult

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AnnoyedDragon

lazerface216

That's the point.

The broader the audience, the more casual it tends to be. There are more casuals than mainstream gamers, more mainstream than hardcore gamers, more hardcore than niche gamers etc. So the bigger the sample, the further down that scale you go.

Football has such widespread appeal that pretty much anyone may be interested in a sports title, and when it comes to hardware install bases; the majority do not have gaming PCs. Hence the low target specification in the past.

What this news is telling me, is that even none gaming PCs can run console games these days. Otherwise they wouldn't have made this change, through fear of alienating most of their PC audience.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 alfredooo
Member since 2007 • 2664 Posts

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

lazerface216

I think it's pretty clear he meant it in a derogatory way.... I mean, he did say they appeal to the lowest common denominator and that those people tend not to have PCs with decent specs.... :?

Firebird-5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Firebird-5

[QUOTE="lazerface216"]

[QUOTE="Firebird-5"]

alfredooo

I think it's pretty clear he meant it in a derogatory way.... I mean, he did say they appeal to the lowest common denominator and that those people tend not to have PCs with decent specs.... :?

my god this is the problem with system wars

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattuk69

[QUOTE="mattuk69"]

AnnoyedDragon

Maybe in your country but not mine. Football is huge here and games like Football manager is a top seller. FIFA is never far behind.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 AnnoyedDragon

alfredooo

If you take every PC sold and organized them by performance, there would be more low performance PCs than high end ones. The lowest specification is the most common, hence, lowest common denominator.

It is no more derogatory than saying consoles are the lowest common denominator in cross platform development, which they are. You take two consoles, which on average can dedicated 256mb of Vram to given tasks, and a gaming PC that typically has 512-1GB of Vram. That is two target platforms that can dedicate 256mb of Vram Vs one platform with more. They are lower, they are more common, so...

Maybe in your country but not mine. Football is huge here and games like Football manager is a top seller. FIFA is never far behind.mattuk69

You essentially just agreed with me.

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.AndersK

This is the fact. That's why I bought PES :D but the latest PES sucked too.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.AndersK

why do you keep buying them if they all suck balls
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.BigBoss255
Last football game I bought was Madden 2002.

Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
They said the same thing about Fifa 11...
mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mattuk69

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.AmazonTreeBoa

TheOtherTheoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 TheOtherTheoG
Member since 2010 • 2287 Posts
Heh, took them time. The PC versions up until now have been a year behind, literally - FIFA 11 on PC was, in terms of interface and new features, exactly the same as 10 on consoles, same with all versions beforehand. Except that the other PC versions beforehand weren't a buggy mess like 11.
killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts
Heh, took them time. The PC versions up until now have been a year behind, literally - FIFA 11 on PC was, in terms of interface and new features, exactly the same as 10 on consoles, same with all versions beforehand. Except that the other PC versions beforehand weren't a buggy mess like 11.TheOtherTheoG
Actually, Fifa 10 on PC was not even comparable to the current-gen console versions of the game because it was running off the same engine that was used during the PS2-era. Only last year did they improve upon Fifa and brought it to current gen but even then only upgraded it to FIFA 10 level and slapped the 11 logo on top. More so on topic: If they can deliver a better Single Player Offering, specially in Manager mode, I will be heavily pleased seeing as how the game play is amazing. I am also glad that the PC version will be getting everything the consoles will. I had gotten Fifa 11 for PC only to be disappointed. I want to be able to play in full HD :D
Kickinurass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Kickinurass
Member since 2005 • 3357 Posts

mattuk69

I love this picture. Even though I prefer football (The American football :P) I get a laugh out of it. Especially how the arrow points to his arm and calls it a hand.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

mattuk69

[spoiler] [/spoiler]

And that's why we get to use Football. Plus it sounds a lot better and fits the sport better. You can take ur FUTBOL and GIT OUT!

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mattuk69

Maybe John Cleese can explain it better.

But i doubt it.

pitty8982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 pitty8982
Member since 2008 • 1072 Posts

But i doubt it.

mattuk69

in fact it makes no sense to call their sport Football and it makes even less sense - and it's arrogant - to name the real football with a different name. Soccer, seriously? that's arrogant and stupid on their part.

CoolSkAGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CoolSkAGuy
Member since 2006 • 9665 Posts
Console port confirmed :P
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Finally i liked fifa 11 but it missed alot

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

nobody cares

all football fans on PC are playing football manager 2011

its one of the most popular games on Steam

mattuk69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mattuk69

nobody cares

HaloinventedFPS
How do you know if FIFA is not on steam...
alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 alfredooo

[QUOTE="alfredooo"]

AnnoyedDragon

If you take every PC sold and organized them by performance, there would be more low performance PCs than high end ones. The lowest specification is the most common, hence, lowest common denominator.

It is no more derogatory than saying consoles are the lowest common denominator in cross platform development, which they are. You take two consoles, which on average can dedicated 256mb of Vram to given tasks, and a gaming PC that typically has 512-1GB of Vram. That is two target platforms that can dedicate 256mb of Vram Vs one platform with more. They are lower, they are more common, so...

Maybe in your country but not mine. Football is huge here and games like Football manager is a top seller. FIFA is never far behind.mattuk69

You essentially just agreed with me.

my bad then, bro.

I thought you meant sports game appealed to the lowest common denominator as in people, but it seems you were actually using the term to refer to systems, NOT people.

It's just I have seen people here (SW experience, amirite?) not only looking down on the sports games themselves but also on their fans.

alfredooo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 alfredooo

nobody cares

HaloinventedFPS

Of course. Nobody cares. Why would any football fan care about a game like Fifa coming out on their gaming system of choice? Specially since both Fifa and Football Manager are two very similar games, right? PC gamers shouldn't care in the least bit. :roll:

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AnnoyedDragon

my bad then, bro.

I thought you meant sports game appealed to the lowest common denominator as in people, but it seems you were actually using the term to refer to systems, NOT people.

It's just I have seen people here (SW experience, amirite?) not only looking down on the sports games themselves but also on their fans.

alfredooo

I was using it in terms of people, as well as hardware, and I elaborated as to my reasoning behind it on the previous page.

It's not meant as a insult. It's simply the larger the segment you take from the local population, the more "casual" the gamer you will find on average within that sample. Everyone in SW recognises that there are more casual gamers out there than mainstream gamers. It is why the console companies are currently trying to cater to them, because accommodating them enlarges the platforms audience considerably.

Sports appeals to a incredibly large audience. As stated, the larger the audience; the less hardcore it tends to be. Because casuals make up a larger segment of the population, a large portion of the sports fanbase are unlikely to have the sort of dedicated gaming PC that would run current gen console games. Hence, why sport titles would often use last gen console ports for PC, keeping those system requirements to a minimum.

Calling a group the lowest common denominator is not a insult, it is just maths. like (2,2,2,2,2,3,4,4,5,5) 2 is the lowest common denominator in these numbers. I'm not insulting 2, it's just the lowest and most common number in that particular segment. If these numbers represented hardware performance, by targeting 2; I'm ensuring the game will run on systems 2 to 5. By targeting 5, the majority are alienated from the game, because 5 is a small segment of this population. 3 to 5 may be disappointed the game is only designed to run at levels 2 can handle, but they can all run the game, because the "most common weakest system" was targeted.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

hahahah Handegg. Awesome name for it.

Fifa is a sweet game, but I think sports games are best on consoles. (big screen)

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
So consoles get the same version, despite the cheaper hardware? Good news for consoles.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AnnoyedDragon

So consoles get the same version, despite the cheaper hardware? Good news for consoles.IronBass

It's a console game. It's not some high end PC game that is somehow running just as good on consoles, it is a console game that is just using the same graphical assets and settings as the console version on PC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-63f6895020e66
It's a console game. It's not some high end PC game that is somehow running just as good on consoles, it is a console game that is just using the same graphical assets and settings as the console version on PC.AnnoyedDragon
Indeed; a lot of games this gen seems to be built around consoles. I wouldn't have it any other way.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AnnoyedDragon

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]It's a console game. It's not some high end PC game that is somehow running just as good on consoles, it is a console game that is just using the same graphical assets and settings as the console version on PC.IronBass
Indeed; a lot of games this gen seems to be built around consoles. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Initially I thought you were just mistaken, but with this comment; it sounds like intentional flame bait for PC gamers... :roll:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Initially I thought you were just mistaken, but with this comment; it sounds like intentional flame bait for PC gamers... :roll:AnnoyedDragon
I would never dare to do such a thing :]
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]The only good Fifa was 09, all the ones before and especially after have sucked. It's a shame there's no good football games anymore.mattuk69

I am an American. I couldn't care less what the rest of the world calls football.

dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

and that is why the rest of the world doesnt care about America! haha

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#49 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

But i doubt it.

mattuk69

I sort of agree where the guy in the video is coming from. As someone who lives in America I love Soccer or as the British would call it football. In fact my favorite soccer team plays in the EPL. However, I disagree with the commentators stating that you don't have to think in American Football. I like American Football and you do in fact have to think a lot in American Football, in fact there is a lot of strategy involved in terms of the plays that happen in a Amercian Football game.