DriveClub vs Forza Horizon 2 - which will sell more?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Not that sales matter to me per se, they are just a part of the point I'm trying to make...

And why do I have the feeling that regardless of Metacritic score, Driveclub will end up selling a lot more, steamrolling its opponent? And if I end up being right, could someone bump this thread within half a year and explain me why it happens/ed?

Anyway what are your predictions for MC score and sales within their first quarters?

Mine:

DriveClub: Metacritic score 77-79/100, sales: 1.5 million

Forza Horizon 2: Metacritic score 86/100, sales 0.9 million

EDIT: shiyat, just reminded myself that FH2 is coming out on X360 as well. I guess I could add additional 400-450k...

Indicud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Indicud
Member since 2013 • 745 Posts

DriveClub will likely outsell Forza on the XB1.

Considering KillZone outsold TitanFall on XB1 and all the XB1 exclusives.

Infamous has approximately done the same.

Etc

DriveClub MC: 83

Forza Horizon: 86

edwardecl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By edwardecl
Member since 2005 • 2240 Posts

This is a hard one, I would say DriveClub will sell 1/3 more than Forza Horizon 2 just because of sales difference between Xbox One and PS4.

DriveClub: 7.5/10, Forza Horizon 2: 8.3/10

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Don't forget that they're giving a chunk of Driveclub away for "free" which means that the game is really going to have to prove itself before it gets a purchase from most people. If it's just an OK game then people will be happy to simply stick with the free version and play that.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

FH2, you're looking at an established franchise VS new IP situation. Driveclub will sell well though, most if not all Sony exclusives so far have reached milly status so I doubt Sony are worried.

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

Pretty sure horizon sold less than the other forza games. Plus it's a cross gen of a franchise that's sure to be seeing consumer fatigue soon. Not to mention xbone has a smaller install base.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Indicud said:

Etc

Sources?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't care about sales, but even I know new IPs struggle in most cases, and especially if you are going to pit them against established brands like Forza. Although Forza Horizon is an offshoot with a different developer (using Turn 10s engine and therefore they are collaborators), it still has the Forza name and it's a sequel which will help in sales.

I would guess Forza in sales...but I don't actually care about sales, I just wanted to mention comparing brand new IPs to established brands is a tough comparison to the new IPs almost every every time. Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but they are exceptions. Those exceptions, those few new IPs/games that do amazing out of the gate have to be exceptional to get that kind of word of mouth that generates long sales legs. I don't see Drive Club being that kind of title.

Forza Horizon is also on two platforms giving it a huge boost in sales. Forza will release to starved 360 owners jones-in for a new game in the series on a platform with a 80+ million install base. Every advantage is in Forza's favor.

For the record, I don't like racing games and I will never buy either title and I wouldn't care if they both were canceled and replaced with action games, something I would buy.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

Obvious Forza as an established name, so it'll probably sell more thanks to that.

As for scores, which is what matters, can't say, specially since i didn't play the original Horizon. However, since FH is an open world racer with a variety of activities to provide in addition to it's races, i can see it do better. Even more, if, it happens to have more cars in the game.

But, since i stopped following most racing games some time ago, i can't comment fully.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@lostrib said:

@Indicud said:

Etc

Sources?

Last official count of KZ:SF was 2.1 million (probably more now).

Last official count of TF on the X1 was 1+ million (probably more now).

Still the WiiU puts both to shame as far as sales from exclusives go lol

yes, but what would be the time frame. KZSF has been out for like 8 months, while TF has been out barely 3 (?)

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Salt_The_Fries

@SolidTy said:

I don't care about sales, but even I know new IPs struggle in most cases, and especially if you are going to pit them against established brands like Forza. Although Forza Horizon is an offshoot with a different developer, it still has the Forza name and it's a sequel which will help in sales.

I would guess Forza in sales...but I don't actually care about sales, I just wanted to mention comparing brand new IPs to established brands is a tough comparison to the new IPs almost every every time. Obviously there are exceptions, they those games have to be exceptional to get that kind of word of mouth that generates long sales legs.

Forza Horizon is also on two platforms giving it a huge boost in sales. Forza will release to starved 360 owners jones-in for a new game in the series on a platform with a 80+ million install base. Every advantage is in Forza's favor.

For the record, I don't like racing games and I will never buy either title and I wouldn't care if they both were canceled and replaced with action games, something I would buy.

I don't like most racing games either nowadays, however Forza Horizon is one notable exception, and I could add PGR to that list too. In the past I used to love Gran Turismo, Colin McRae Rally, V-Rally and TOCA, but now I've grown out of realistic racers and sims. However Forza Horizon is perfect for me despite the fact it could be every bit as realistic as Motorsport if you want it to be (and I play w/o any assists, the only liberty I take is automatic gearbox and medium difficulty level), because of the overall structure, exciting atmosphere, variety of challenges and exuberant graphics. And with PGR - I like it most that it truly rewards skill.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

Oh yeah forgot FH2 was cross gen lol. Maybe 360 horizon could be the better seller out of the two platforms. Who knows I guess.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Forza Horizon 2 .

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

probably drive club because their is more ps4s out there and they is less good games on ps4

GamingGod999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GamingGod999
Member since 2011 • 3135 Posts

Forza Horizon 2 will sell greater.

You're putting up a new (heavily delayed) IP against an established franchise.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

What's behind that horizon? Oh, a paywall.

Boggle_Dragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Boggle_Dragon
Member since 2014 • 125 Posts

Hard to know really. I would expect Driveclub to sell more than FH2 on Xbox One but to sell more than the bone and the 360 would be a reach.

We know what to expect from FH2 but very little is known about Driveclub's gameplay and the social aspects and features, what the game is based on. E3 will be interesting.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#21 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I say they both get an 8 (I don't care about Meta while posting here), and Forza edges in sales due to multiplatness

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@DocSanchez said:

What's behind that horizon? Oh, a paywall.

DC doesn't have a paywall? Where have you been?

I would say DC head to head on X1 vs PS4

Both Microsoft 360 & X1. Then FH2

If X1 takes off in Sales like I'm predicting with the 399.00 SKU. It will be close. X1 vs PS4.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

lol FH on 360 to? lol Why didn't they put F5 on 360 to then lol

is psn+ still getting their free game "demo"?

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@b4x: I wasn't talking about DC and it's unique payment method which charges you nothing unless you like the game and want the full version.

I am referring to Forza which charges you full price for half of what you used to get. I'm talking about Forza Horizon, which was a terrific game on the 360 but dared to remove features you got at the start and put them behind a paywall. You used to be able to go to any point on the map. I revisited the game after about two weeks not playing and there was a massive update. They'd added tons of DLC adverts and stopped you from warping to any point on the map. That's obnoxious. A shame because the series is rather good. Hate the rewind mechanic but it's a very solid racer and certainly better than GT5.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

I think both games will have similar scores but I think DriveClub will sell more due to the bigger hype behind it and the fact that PS4 has a bigger install base than Xbone.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By B4X

@k2theswiss said:

lol FH on 360 to? lol Why didn't they put F5 on 360 to then lol

is psn+ still getting their free game "demo"?

They need to port Forza 5 Game of the year edition to 360 With the Forza 4 engine.

Moneys money.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Salt_The_Fries

@DocSanchez said:

@b4x: I wasn't talking about DC and it's unique payment method which charges you nothing unless you like the game and want the full version.

I am referring to Forza which charges you full price for half of what you used to get. I'm talking about Forza Horizon, which was a terrific game on the 360 but dared to remove features you got at the start and put them behind a paywall. You used to be able to go to any point on the map. I revisited the game after about two weeks not playing and there was a massive update. They'd added tons of DLC adverts and stopped you from warping to any point on the map. That's obnoxious. A shame because the series is rather good. Hate the rewind mechanic but it's a very solid racer and certainly better than GT5.

I never used rewinding actually and you could warp to key points on the map once you finished some challenges in the outposts or something. And the main hub could be accessed via fast travel for free at any time.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By B4X

@DocSanchez said:

Micro Transactions in FH2 can suck a ______?

Fill in a blank. After the back lash Forza 5 received for micro transactions. I would hope Microsoft learned their lesson.

This is Microsoft were talking about though.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

mikhail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mikhail
Member since 2003 • 2697 Posts

Don't underestimate how many Forza fans that are out there whose primary consoles are still the Xbox 360. That game is going to do very well on that platform.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 B4X

@mikhail said:

Don't underestimate how many Forza fans that are out there whose primary consoles are still the Xbox 360. That game is going to do very well on that platform.

Watch_Dogs is ripping and tearing on the 360. You may have a point.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@edwardecl said:

This is a hard one, I would say DriveClub will sell 1/3 more than Forza Horizon 2 just because of sales difference between Xbox One and PS4.

DriveClub: 7.5/10, Forza Horizon 2: 8.3/10

Yeah I'd say this ^^

Driveclub will sell more but Forza will rate higher.

Draign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Draign
Member since 2013 • 1824 Posts

Forza Horizon 2 is similar to The Crew. Why is Drive Club being compared?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

forza. its on 2 platforms and is an established franchise

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

lol. yes by all means lets talk sales since god knows we don't want to talk about driveclubs shitty motorstorm dev team and how boring the froza franchise has become.

anyway **** em both, i'm buying the new grid at the end of this month.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

After Forza 3 the series has been on a downward trend, I don't see that changing with FMH. Just too many damn Forza games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#40 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Depends on if Drive Club comes out or not.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Drive Club, because racing games sell the best in europe, and sony dominates there.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

DC for sure. It is the only game in the latter half of 2014 for the PauperStation4 .

kingjazziephiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 kingjazziephiz
Member since 2006 • 2650 Posts

Don't know. But I bet that horizon 2 will be the better game

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

You can't really compare sales imo because every PS owner will have DC so it that will have a big impact on people buying the game as opposed to Forza where you have no choice but to buy it. DC will have more players for sure but Forza more sales, I'm guessing that most people who have PS+ will also try the game before they buy it so that could also impact DC sales.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Well Forza and Forza Horizon already has an installed fan base so...

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

There are more PS4s than Xbox Ones, so if PS4 owners buys games DC should sell more than FH2. FH2 should be the better game though. Again, there are more PS4s than Xbox Ones, if PS4 owners buys games, games on PS4 should sell more than games on Xbox Ones.

Batt1eRatt1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Batt1eRatt1e
Member since 2014 • 131 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Forza is an established IP and Drive Club has lost all the steam it had being delayed so long. There will already be other racers on PS4 by the time it comes out. It stood a better chance when it would be the only racer for PS4. My bets in FH2 outselling DC.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@Indicud said:

Etc

Game got already reviewed?

sampson3121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 sampson3121
Member since 2008 • 756 Posts

@lostrib: he was right it already has sold more.