Does Xbox REALLY have more money than PlayStation?

• 82 results
Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

So we are going to Isolate two particular portions of a mega million dollar corporations just to give one a chance at winning? You just chose a very long winded way to do this. The spending of the two particular divisions is more than likely based on the two sources that give them money. Who would have thunk it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Phil SPencer is at the gym lifting weights and the US sony guy is at Mcdonalds eating burgers. What else is new. End of discussion and end of thread.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Your argument even if there was ever one doesn't hold any water at all. Even in Sonyland like Poland Microsoft has eclipsed Sony in commercials big time. By the way I'm going to create a topic related to this but with a totally different spin.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

I wouldn't say they don't have the money to invest, hell they have it (or had it), they just spend/spent it oh-so badly.

I mean, take the like $400 million they wasted to have access to the NFL license to make a fantasy football app for the Xbox One? I mean shit, that's $400 million that could have funded a few great games. Or hell, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the $2.5 billion wasted on Minecraft acquisition.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Carsten ‏@sagichnicht123Apr 20

@XboxP3 seems like Sony isn't only getting many exclusive Japanese games but also most big marketing deals. Seems like MS isn't even trying.

2 retweets 3 favorites

Phil Spencer Verified account ‏@XboxP3

@sagichnicht123 It's not a trying thing on marketing deals, it's just a choice on where to spend.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#56 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Isn't the Playstation division the only arm of Sony making a profit right now? Other than that, they are doing terrible. Microsoft makes a killing on software, so I'm not surprised they continually turn a profit. Yeah, XB1 isn't making a killing like Sony, but it's still pushing big units. 10 million +, right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#57 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Shmiity said:

Isn't the Playstation division the only arm of Sony making a profit right now? Other than that, they are doing terrible. Microsoft makes a killing on software, so I'm not surprised they continually turn a profit. Yeah, XB1 isn't making a killing like Sony, but it's still pushing big units. 10 million +, right?

Barely. We know it was somewhere in the vicinity of 10 million units shipped at the end of last year. Since then, Xbox One+Xbox 360 put together have shipped an additional 1.6 million units. Assuming the absolute best case and assuming all 1.6 million of those to be Xbox One, we still end up only at 11.6 million units shipped at most- a far cry from Sony's own 20.2 million sold.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44605 Posts

@Shmiity said:

I've heard that so much yet I think a couple months back when they were talking about their "growth leaders" or whatever they showed that gaming profits were such a small part of their overall revenues that surely just the tax on those revenues eats up whatever profit they do make.

I do recall Sony's digital cameras having their profit being much larger profit margins than than games, at least in proportion to its overall revenues.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@charizard1605: Dude MS has moneyhatted Dead Rising 3, Titanfall, Sunset Overdrive, Tomb Raider, maybe this Montana football game rumor, they still get DLC first for COD, they dump tons of Money into Halo, Gears and Forza.

I think MS sticks to a certain formula on what they want to back, MS landing and exclusive NFL game would be huge. Maybe they fine with the sales now and don't want to do the Sony hype train and promises ad campaign that Sony is doing now. I'm sure you will see tons of ads for Halo 5, Gears, and once the library builds up more they might hit a massive ad campaign and say this is what we got so come play.

lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4863 Posts

The Xbone is selling better than the 360, so its doing good. The PS4 is just doing great. Its hard to compare the financials of the products because the Xbox is in the same division as the many of Microsofts hardware products (Surface, Probably the MS watch and Zune (in the old days))

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#61 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@kuu2 said:

Blog it.

It was a good post, honestly. Probably a few too many big words in there for you to follow it, though. You'll have to take my word for it.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#62 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@ProtossX: very true. i hope apple will make a flawless console(no doubt, it will be expensive but i dont mind the extra price if its perfect, which is apples speciality) after MS and sony kill themselves with microtransactions and losing gamers trust (like mine), by unninnovating themselves. the best console generation was 7th

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@xxyetixx: we can never know whats going on CEO's minds. we can only guess

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It all started with that 8GB of GDDR5. It was clear from day one that those 8GB of GDDR5 will lead Sony to victory.

Fuhrer_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Fuhrer_D
Member since 2011 • 1125 Posts

@tushar172787:

Apple would likely $.50 and $1 you, and you'd either eat it up (likely this seeing that you think Apple makes perfect products), or beg for the "nickel and diming" of Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft can continue to nickel and dime me if it continues to look like me not paying for games because of Bing Rewards, and all the free games that I have enjoyed in the last six months for having Live at $35/40 a year.

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

@ProtossX: Bloodborne will NEVER go to PC, stop trying.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#67 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

2.5 billion for minecraft , the entertainment and devices division has definitley spent more money than SONY's Playstation division

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 delta3074

@Shewgenja said:

Third party is behind the PS4. All other details be damned.

which, quite frankly has **** all to do with which division has the most money.

Also, i would like to see you evidence because i see all the Same multiplats releasing on the Xbone so please provide evidence that third party developers favour the PS4 over the Xbone other wise it's just a baseless assumption on your part.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@delta3074 said:

2.5 billion for minecraft , the entertainment and devices division has definitley spent more money than SONY's Playstation division

Short & sweet, well done & done. :)

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

MS can have all the money they want, their console is still worse than Sony's.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 delta3074

@SecretPolice said:

@delta3074 said:

I will be honest mate, this is getting on my nerves, people claiming the Xbone is a failure when it's selling faster than the 360 did and boasts an install size the 360 could only dream of at this point in it's lifespan, the Ps3 wasn't a failure according to Cows when it was in a much worse position at this point last gen but somehow the Xbone is.

I am no Fan of the Xbone mate but i really hate the level of hypocrisy i am seeing from these cows lately and i am sick and tired of them applying different standards to different companies.

MS where a shit last gen for charging to play online yet i have seen NO complaints from anyone that SONY are doing it now

MS where shit last gen for paying for times exclusivity or exclusive DLC yet SONY are gods for doing it this gen.

It didn't matter apparently that Multiplats had a higher resolution on the 360 last gen but apparently it's the be all and end all this gen.

arcade and indie Titles didn't count last gen but apparently, because SONY actually has more of them, they are a total game changer

In another thread i provided a ton of evidence from Forbes and other sites that the Xbone is doing fine sales wise but the other guy stuck his fingers in his ears and Kept spouting the same Baseless crap that the Xbone is failing and will be on life support in 2017.

Die hard Lemmings are bad, don't get me wrong but these SONY drones will ignore any credible evidence that debunks what they are saying, stick there fingers in there ears and carry on spouting the same baseless nonsense because in there arrogance they see there opinion as being more credible than Forbes which is just hear pulling to be honest.

Mot of them are no better than little children with there name calling, double standards and throwing there toys out of the pram if anyone says anything remotely negative about a PS console.

The biggest let down For SONY is there rabbid die hard fanbase or Arrogant hypocrites

sorry about the rant but i had to get that off my chest:)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@SecretPolice said:

@delta3074 said:

I will be honest mate, this is getting on my nerves, people claiming the Xbone is a failure when it's selling faster than the 360 did and boasts an install size the 360 could only dream of at this point in it's lifespan, the Ps3 wasn't a failure according to Cows when it was in a much worse position at this point last gen but somehow the Xbone is.

I am no Fan of the Xbone mate but i really hate the level of hypocrisy i am seeing from these cows lately and i am sick and tired of them applying different standards to different companies.

MS where a shit last gen for charging to play online yet i have seen NO complaints from anyone that SONY are doing it now

MS where shit last gen for paying for times exclusivity or exclusive DLC yet SONY are gods for doing it this gen.

It didn't matter apparently that Multiplats had a higher resolution on the 360 last gen but apparently it's the be all and end all this gen.

arcade and indie Titles didn't count last gen but apparently, because SONY actually has more of them, they are a total game changer

In another thread i provided a ton of evidence from Forbes and other sites that the Xbone is doing fine sales wise but the other guy stuck his fingers in his ears and Kept spouting the same Baseless crap that the Xbone is failing and will be on life support in 2017.

Die hard Lemmings are bad, don't get me wrong but these SONY drones will ignore any credible evidence that debunks what they are saying, stick there fingers in there ears and carry on spouting the same baseless nonsense because in there arrogance they see there opinion as being more credible than Forbes which is just hear pulling to be honest.

Mot of them are no better than little children with there name calling, double standards and throwing there toys out of the pram if anyone says anything remotely negative about a PS console.

The biggest let down For SONY is there rabbid die hard fanbase or Arrogant hypocrites

sorry about the rant but i had to get that off my chest:)

I know my friend and it's why I treat this place the way I do. When I first started posting here I would get involved and discuss things with a certain seriousness but that ended when I realized I was just being trolled all the time. So now though I have nothing against Sony or the PS console, cows on the other hand have been the worst IMO so I normally just have some giggles messing with them. Some of them are serious as a heart attack about their loyalty to a company and a plastic box that it borders on insanity.

Let it go man, I know it's aggravating and you feel the need to speak out but IMO, it's to no avail. Ye ole, you can lead a hor... eh, cow to water but you can't make it drink, they're already filled up on the Kool-aid :P

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

LMAO lems will not like this!

great post TC!

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@charizard1605: Meh.. opinions vary. How much did they spend on Minecraft again? lol!! When has Sony every dropped over a billion on any of their Playstation acquisitions?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#75 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@blackace: Minecraft was a Microsoft purchase, not an Xbox purchase.

And you are saying that as though spending $2 billion on one studio that has put out one hit game and never been able to follow it up is a good thing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#76 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

And you are saying that as though spending $2 billion on one studio that has put out one hit game and never been able to follow it up is a good thing.

If it makes more money for them, yes.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

what...

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#78 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9555 Posts

MS sits on a lot more liquid assets than Sony, but they can't use a lot of it due to our very nice and irrational market system.

This doesn't change the fact that the Xbox division to this moment has been a net drain on MS.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#79 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

I think that most people can accept (but might deny) the fact that PS4 is making more money for Sony than Xbox is for MS. X1 might even be a huge loss for MS, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was.

But MS is undoubtedly richer than Sony.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@charizard1605: I see far more XBox One ads than PS4...

Avatar image for TorqueHappens08
TorqueHappens08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TorqueHappens08
Member since 2008 • 1363 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Your argument even if there was ever one doesn't hold any water at all. Even in Sonyland like Poland Microsoft has eclipsed Sony in commercials big time. By the way I'm going to create a topic related to this but with a totally different spin.

If that's true, the X1 should be selling on par or equal to the PS4 at this time, which is not the case. Xbox division seriously shot themselves in the foot on E3, it was almost as if they just did not care about the brand and thought people would just blindly,mindlessly flock to the console without second thought. Also what people seem to be forgetting about this thread is that it's about the Gaming divisions of their respective companies. But people keep going on about how much $ Microsoft has as a whole, muting the entire point of the thread with dead memes. i wouldn't be surprised to read "Xbox has billgates, the richest man on earth, they're fine"

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

Sony is worth 34.8 Billion, down from 40+ 2yrs ago

Microsoft? 399 Billion, up from 374+ 2 yrs ago

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

@ProtossX said:

Microsoft and Sony are both on the brink of extinction

MSFT Flops

Windows 8 - 10% marketshare lower PC sales

Windows Phone - 4% marketshare an dropping

Windows Surface - Billion dollar loss

X-bone - one of the worst consoles ever made

343 studios - MCC flopped

consumers scared of halo 5 and 343

Xbox brand and windows brand now tarnished in public perception scared to buy microsoft products

Sony Flops

Low TV sales

Low Music player sales

Sony movies flopping all over the place

Low Phone Sales

Sold computer business

Laid off several gaming studios

I really dunno which company will die first but these companies are going down while samsung and places like apple go up these 2 behemoths are like dinosaurs approaching extinction

and nintendo is gonna follow into the volcano

its disgusting whats happening soon it'll be like samsung and apple and google doing video games after these 2 kill each other

Really I don't get why Windows phones don't do better. A friend of mine has one and that thing is nice. Kinda wish now that I had gotten one instead of an Android phone.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Great topic Char. This is a tough one.

You would think all those Ps2 sales even at the end of the cycle would be enough to buy a oil company.

On the same hand Microsoft pumped serious coin into The Xbox ONE. $3 billion in R&D with over a million on the controller alone. That wasn't Xbox money, that was Microsoft money.

The PS3 spent most of its days in the red. I think I remember reading somewhere that all the money the PS1 and PS2 generated was pissed away on that abomination.

The 360 had some glory during its profitable sales but the RRoD put them in the hole $3 billion.

Comparing online revenue is a one horse race. XBL has been going strong and increasing year by year. Sony just entered this race in the last few years. PSN + was more of a novelty on the PS3.

Both consoles are selling well now but that doesn't amount to a hill of shit if there is no profitability in those units sold. If Sony clears its R&D investment for the PS4, they could be sitting pretty right now.