Does Xbox One or Ps4 need component video?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I dont think there is any need for component video on the next-gen consoles. Pretty much all tv's made now have hdmi. 

Theres always people who plug that yellow cable into their expensive hdtv. So i'll be glad them days are over. 

Do you think Ps4 and Xbox One need component cable?

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I don't think they need it. 

However, an adapter sold separately might suit some luddites. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

No, I don't think so. There has to come a time where people have to move on and things have to stop being supported. People have had a long time to get into 1080p, and with 4K tv's coming, 720p tv's will slowly be ruled out.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

Does it really matter?  

Considering the cost of putting the component video output on the console is so marginal it won't have any effect on the retail price then I'd say the more video options the better!  

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
Xbox One doesn't have a component input
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

it should have an AV out however it better come with a HDMI cable!

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts

Hope not. Everyone should have upgraded their TV's by now.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts
Although a little pricey, you could buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJR36L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1370315437&sr=8-3=SL75
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Murderstyle75

timbers_WSU
Unless your HDTV is not the only thing you plug your console into. One example would be the A/V system in my minivan which only supports standard A/V cables. Another example would be a person who travels a lot such as for work and games a lot in hotel rooms.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#10 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Component MIA.  Worst case scenario, the little guy will bail you out.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
I've had my HDTV for like 7 years, it only has one component input but it's a good TV, only 1080i/720p but good enough, component shouldn't be an issue, composite on the other hand can go I'm sure that's as ancient as ever. Anyhow, my PS3 didn't come with component cables or HDMI cables since I got one of the first wave of them, only thing available then was something that's like an HDMI on one end and component on the other, and I've been using that ever since. And I have an optical out going to my receiver. Setup works fine, I imagine any other console can do the same.
T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 timbers_WSU
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Murderstyle75
Unless your HDTV is not the only thing you plug your console into. One example would be the A/V system in my minivan which only supports standard A/V cables. Another example would be a person who travels a lot such as for work and games a lot in hotel rooms.

All of my TV's have at least 2 HDMI slots in them but I recall my first one only had one. And I don't think I have ever seen a splitter for HDMI's? It would suck to have to unplug your cable box or something just to play games.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
I dont think so, HDMI is pretty much the standard now.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts
Although a little pricey, you could buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJR36L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1370315437&sr=8-3=SL75Murderstyle75
this would be cheaper http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-HDMI-RCA-Cable-FT/dp/B005QWH4QA/ref=pd_sim_e_2
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 timbers_WSU
People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.T-Bone91
I don't know. I see people that have shitty cars, torn clothes, no job, and they live in a house that should be condemned but they have I-Phones and game consoles. Only in America will people live in a 20 year old trailer and drive a $30,000 car.....and make $400 payments on the car.
T-Bone91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 T-Bone91
Member since 2013 • 283 Posts
[QUOTE="T-Bone91"]People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.timbers_WSU
I don't know. I see people that have shitty cars, torn clothes, no job, and they live in a house that should be condemned but they have I-Phones and game consoles. Only in America will people live in a 20 year old trailer and drive a $30,000 car.....and make $400 payments on the car.

Really?Damn.Here in India people still use Nokia phones and ride on bicycles.Those kinds of people still have decades old CRT TVs without remotes.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Murderstyle75
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Although a little pricey, you could buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJR36L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1370315437&sr=8-3=SL75lamprey263
this would be cheaper http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-HDMI-RCA-Cable-FT/dp/B005QWH4QA/ref=pd_sim_e_2

That will not work unless the consoles support HDMI to RCA analog connections. If the X1 can't send an analog signal, this will be useless.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

it should have an AV out however it better come with a HDMI cable!

osirisx3
Those cables are cheap now. Under $15 now. At least the Wii U was packaged with one. I was shocked.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="T-Bone91"]People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.timbers_WSU

You got that right. Living beyond their means or have their priorities mixed up. On the other hand, I commend the parents if they've worked hard to buy a xbox360, or ps3, even though they can't really afford it, just so the kids could have it.
catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Although a little pricey, you could buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJR36L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1370315437&sr=8-3=SL75lamprey263

That's only for devices that support analog over HDMI.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="T-Bone91"] You got that right. Living beyond their means or have their priorities mixed up. On the other hand, I commend the parents if they've worked hard to buy a xbox360, or ps3, even though they can't really afford it, just so the kids could have it.
[QUOTE="lamprey263"][QUOTE="Murderstyle75"]Although a little pricey, you could buy something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BJR36L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1370315437&sr=8-3=SL75Murderstyle75

That will not work unless the consoles support HDMI to RCA analog connections. If the X1 can't send an analog signal, this will be useless.

Wow. I thought I was the only one who used to use that term(RCA), to describe composite cables. Now, if you say that people think you're referring to the electronics manufacturer.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

timbers_WSU

All of my TV's have at least 2 HDMI slots in them but I recall my first one only had one. And I don't think I have ever seen a splitter for HDMI's? It would suck to have to unplug your cable box or something just to play games.

They make a HDMI switch, which has a HDMI in and several HDMI outs. I use one, simply because I have my led on the wall, and it was easier for me to use the switch. I actually auto switches to whichever source is turned on. I like it. Cost under $20 too.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 timbers_WSU
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="T-Bone91"]People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.T-Bone91

Really?Damn.Here in India people still use Nokia phones and ride on bicycles.Those kinds of people still have decades old CRT TVs without remotes.

Yeah, Americans really have their priorities out of whack. I have co-workers who will skip a phone payment, or car payment just to buy a new game or go out for the weekend. They put the wants before the needs. Or their parents let them stick around their place where they take advantage of them instead of trying to get out and do it on their own. Then again I also know people who will work extra shift just to get their kids a new game or throw them a proper Birthday Party. It goes both ways I guess.
timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 timbers_WSU
[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] Unless your HDTV is not the only thing you plug your console into. One example would be the A/V system in my minivan which only supports standard A/V cables. Another example would be a person who travels a lot such as for work and games a lot in hotel rooms.

They make a HDMI switch, which has a HDMI in and several HDMI outs. I use one, simply because I have my led on the wall, and it was easier for me to use the switch. I actually auto switches to whichever source is turned on. I like it. Cost under $20 too.

That's cool. Not long ago you could not find a decent HDMI cable for less than $30. I figured if they did have one out it would be pricy.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#26 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

No, People should get HDTV's. They are so cheap these days there's no good excuse other then being completely broke, in which case why would you be buying a new console.

catfishmoon23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 catfishmoon23
Member since 2005 • 5197 Posts

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="timbers_WSU"] All of my TV's have at least 2 HDMI slots in them but I recall my first one only had one. And I don't think I have ever seen a splitter for HDMI's? It would suck to have to unplug your cable box or something just to play games.timbers_WSU

That's cool. Not long ago you could not find a decent HDMI cable for less than $30. I figured if they did have one out it would be pricy.

This is the one I bought (even comes with a remote).

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"] They make a HDMI switch, which has a HDMI in and several HDMI outs. I use one, simply because I have my led on the wall, and it was easier for me to use the switch. I actually auto switches to whichever source is turned on. I like it. Cost under $20 too.catfishmoon23

This is the one I bought (even comes with a remote).

That is the exact same one I have! Lol. Works good.
V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

CRT TVs are so dead now... no need for component

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

for developing countries, perhaps

Novotine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 Novotine
Member since 2009 • 1199 Posts
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Murderstyle75

why drive a minivan? even if you have a large family?
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

No

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

I don't think they need it. 

However, an adapter sold separately might suit some luddites. 

psymon100

This, no point in having the component these days. A few odd ones with no HDTV can easily get an adapter.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#34 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

At this point, I don't think it's necessary - at least out of the box. A separate adapter could be sold for the minority that may need it.

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Component can stay since it can be easily up-scaled to 1080i. So it's relatively still useful. It's COMPOSITE that I wish that would drop dead. It is beyond atrocious in terms of quality these days. And what the hell ever happened to S-Video anyways?

What I fail to understand is... why did the market kill off S-Video (Which is the middle of the bunch in terms of visual quality), yet decide to keep the shitty composite video in tact?

For the record, VGA can also stay since it can also do 1080 without issue.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
My Tv needs them, my computer monitor doesn't though.

No, I don't think so. There has to come a time where people have to move on and things have to stop being supported. People have had a long time to get into 1080p, and with 4K tv's coming, 720p tv's will slowly be ruled out.

XVision84
lol, so I'm supposed to destroy my perfectly good TV to buy another one? HDTVs have only been around since 06 or so, it's not even ten years old yet...
casharmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 casharmy
Member since 2011 • 9388 Posts

Xbox One doesn't have a component inputR3FURBISHED
lol so THAT is what this is about.  People are always making excuses for M$ delivering less for more, I will never understand it.  More reason for certian people to skip their media box.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Murderstyle75
[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

Novotine

Because I do a lot of camping and the gas mileage is a lot better than an SUV.
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

timbers_WSU

by whos standards are we going on here? WHy do you HOPE not? just out of meanness and lack of care just because you have hdmi? Maybe there are people totally happy with composite and component? I am..I couldnt care less about a few extra lines of resolution here and there..Dont be selfcentered and think that just because you think everyone should have moved on..that its how it is..Life done work that way bud.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VanDammFan

[QUOTE="Novotine"][QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] Unless your HDTV is not the only thing you plug your console into. One example would be the A/V system in my minivan which only supports standard A/V cables. Another example would be a person who travels a lot such as for work and games a lot in hotel rooms.Murderstyle75

dumbest quote of the day..you must not have kids yet there skippy..or friends or family..ive had 4 minivans and everything in between..Vans are my favorite vehicle to be quite honest..

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9547 Posts

Needed for most? no

needed for some? yes

Although I personally do not understand it, some people just love their old tv's. There was a couple people in the main page discussions that said tey would not get an X1 because of this... lol

It probably will not be a big deal, but it is an excuse for some people no matter how petty and ignorant it may seem :P

Just about everything I own is HD... heh

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Murderstyle75

Needed for most? no

needed for some? yes

Although I personally do not understand it, some people just love their old tv's. There was a couple people in the main page discussions that said tey would not get an X1 because of this... lol

It probably will not be a big deal, but it is an excuse for some people no matter how petty and ignorant it may seem :P

WitIsWisdom
Ill tell you this though. My first 1080i Samsung CRT which didnt have HDMI looks better than both my LCD and LED.
Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Murderstyle75

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="Novotine"] why drive a minivan? even if you have a large family?VanDammFan

dumbest quote of the day..you must not have kids yet there skippy..or friends or family..ive had 4 minivans and everything in between..Vans are my favorite vehicle to be quite honest..

I have a 12 year old and a two year old. The minivan was the most practical choice
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"][QUOTE="Novotine"] why drive a minivan? even if you have a large family?VanDammFan

Hence the name "Van" DammFan. lol . jk
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 godzillavskong
[QUOTE="WitIsWisdom"]

Needed for most? no

needed for some? yes

Murderstyle75
Ill tell you this though. My first 1080i Samsung CRT which didnt have HDMI looks better than both my LCD and LED.

had a Sony Wega CRT, and that thing had a amazing picture. The blacks and dark colors were the best. It was only a 32in I believe, and it was a flat screen, tube CRT, and weighed about as much as my car!
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

They should support it, yeah.  If up until less than a year ago consoles were shipped with old as dirt composite, they should still support component...

They'll ship with HDMI though.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 VanDammFan

[QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

[QUOTE="Murderstyle75"] Because I do a lot of camping and the gas mileage is a lot better than an SUV.godzillavskong

lol..very good...:D

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#48 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.T-Bone91

Component is HD. You're thinking of Composite.

Since my TV is a 9 year old beast of an HD CRT, it only has one HDMI port so I use Component to hook up my Wii U. That and the Wii U has limited RGB range over HDMI for some reason. I suppose I could just get a splitter though.

godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 godzillavskong

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="VanDammFan"]

VanDammFan

lol..very good...:D

Thnks.
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VanDammFan

[QUOTE="T-Bone91"]People who can't afford HDTVs probably can't afford the new consoles so I don't think component is necessary.scoots9

Component is HD. You're thinking of Composite.

Since my TV is a 9 year old beast of an HD CRT, it only has one HDMI port so I use Component to hook up my Wii U. That and the Wii U has limited RGB range over HDMI for some reason. I suppose I could just get a splitter though.

kind of generalizing that arent you? What if someone has a tv they just like? SOME people dont believe in jumping on the next "big thing" just because some others do. think about that..

ALSO I was running a HD projector throwing a 110" image using composite,component,Svideo and VGA..ALL images looked stellar and people were blown away. You dont have to just jump on new tech for the sake of it..if it wasnt for oldtech you wouldnt have new tech..should always appreciate where we came from..