Does Anyone Remember System Wars Back In The Day?

• 137 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

I like to refer to this era as "Gotham city with not Batman". The Lems, Hermits, and Cows would really go at it.

I remember people getting banned continuously...

It was bad.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

I remember SW from 2003. Yeah I used to take "breaks" all the time haha still was good times

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I didnt post much when SW was good. Mostly lurked when fanboys would cry over reviews. Spent most of my time on cooler boards.

Heroldp813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Heroldp813
Member since 2008 • 2103 Posts

@mems_1224: And cry they would.

I remember every person with a PC trying to make you feel like you made a life mistake for having a console.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#5 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Good times. It's a lot quieter now.

My Twilight Princess 8.8D Hype Thread is a brief walk down memory lane with some of the shenanigans of System Wars past. It was fun looking back.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 naughtyottsel
Member since 2016 • 1801 Posts

Nope, I was too busy actually gaming.

I've only been into the wars since the start of this gen.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sweetbackhair
Member since 2007 • 2959 Posts

Not as much goes on in here anymore. I remember when the PC forums was full of activity, but nothe anymore.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 naughtyottsel

@Sweetbackhair said:

Not as much goes on in here anymore. I remember when the PC forums was full of activity, but nothe anymore.

Wait SW nowadays is....quiet?

Jeez

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

It was just as bad back then as it is now.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sweetbackhair

@naughtyottsel: compared to it back then, yeah. I mean activity wise if that's what you're thinking also.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 naughtyottsel

@Sweetbackhair said:

@naughtyottsel: compared to it back then, yeah. I mean activity wise if that's what you're thinking also.

Wow fair enough, I tend to feel really bad after I insult someone on here so sometimes I feel like taking a break whenever I get really irked with SW (done it a couple of times).

Planned to take a 2 week break for Bravely Second but I've progressed so far in the game in less than a week that it'd be stupid too.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

You bet your ass I do! This is where I lost my first tooth, discovered *spoilers* Santa isn't real, this is even the first place I ever got laid.

Good times.

@Heroldp813 said:

I remember every person with a PC trying to make you feel like you made a life mistake for having a console.

To be fair, that's more of a current thing. At one point, a good chunk of users outright ignored PC in all discussions.

@naughtyottsel said:

Jeez

Oh yeah dude, it was like 100 times more active lol. You'd create a thread and it could fall off the first page within an hour, sometimes even in a matter of minutes. It was the most active gaming board I had ever seen.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 naughtyottsel

@ConanTheStoner said:

You bet your ass I do! This is where I lost my first tooth, discovered *spoilers* Santa isn't real, this is even the first place I ever got laid.

Good times.

@Heroldp813 said:

To be fair, that's more of a current thing. At one point, a good chunk of users outright ignored PC in all discussions.

@naughtyottsel said:

Jeez

Oh yeah dude, it was like 100 times more active lol. You'd create a thread and it could fall off the first page within an hour, sometimes even in a matter of minutes. It was the most active gaming board I had ever seen.

Jesus, fair enough.

Was it more toxic than it is now?

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

I remember coming onto SW when I was 13 and 14 years old, 2005 and 2006 and boy was it a different place than it is now. A lot more activity, a lot more varied arguments and tons of great meltdowns.

Sweetbackhair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sweetbackhair

@naughtyottsel: I still need to play Bravely Default!

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts
@naughtyottsel said:

Jesus, fair enough.

lol **** yes man.

People had to be more clever about their trolling and insults, the rules were far more strict. But yeah, people found ways to be vile to each other regardless and a lot of people took the fanboy shit far more seriously.

These days, it's like we all know each other. Most of us are just here because we're used to it. Most of the fanboys these days are really just fakeboys, or just trolling for the lulz. The true fanboys are so few in number now. It's just not as intense and confrontational as it was back in the day.

naughtyottsel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By naughtyottsel

@ConanTheStoner said:
@naughtyottsel said:

Jesus, fair enough.

lol **** yes man.

People had to be more clever about their trolling and insults, the rules were far more strict. But yeah, people found ways to be vile to each other regardless and a lot of people took the fanboy shit far more seriously.

These days, it's like we all know each other. Most of us are just here because we're used to it. Most of the fanboys these days are really just fakeboys, or just trolling for the lulz. The true fanboys are so few in number now. It's just not as intense and confrontational as it was back in the day.

Wow that's news to me, I thought everyone here was genuine.

Now I feel daft.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21703 Posts

Early 2000's were the best, but then the rules became strict and killed much of the fun. Even after the rules returned to being more lax, the site change killed off most the community. I feel that it's only a matter of time until gamespot becomes the next gametrailers.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

It was savage, I remember people talking a lot more shit

There was also a lot of Sheep and Lems.. now it's mostly Cows and hermits

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

I use to post on the GamePro forum back in the day. I would poke around to see what you nerds were talking about and was always amused. It was a lot more "wild west" than now. GamePro shutting down forced me into making a account ;p

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

I remember this place being a lot busier, where new threads get buried to the 2nd page within an hour or 2. I don't remember the community being better or more toxic, i guess it was about the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

@Sweetbackhair: Yeah. I joined and frequented the PC boards for years. Picked up most of the 'classics' I missed through recommendations there.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

You needed to be more creative in order to troll. It's not that way anymore which IMO kind of killed it. Now anyone and everyone can make flame bait threads without much consequence. It's less active as well which makes it kind of boring at times.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46486 Posts

@naughtyottsel said:

Nope, I was too busy actually gaming.

I've only been into the wars since the start of this gen.

Yes, all this time on here that could be spent on actual gaming.

:'(

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Wasn't long ago ppl were throwing insults around (dirty ones too) like a confetti canon.

Within the passed few months things have been calmer.

Don't really care either way. I like chill atmospheres...I would think the only ppl who like seeing arguing all day long were ppl who were too scared to say anything.

At least if you got in an argument you had some balls....am I rite?!?....rite?.....ugh.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61516 Posts

Yeah, and it was way better. Some of those old-school trolls need to come back.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

I'm not sure if there was a systems war on Gamespot then but I remember in the days of the Nintendo 64, whatever years that was, I had an account and don't remember my user name. I do remember people being dicks and giving me a lot of crap because I hated the N64 controller. I was accused of having ADD. Thats my only vague memories of the forums in the deep past. I was an on again off again lurker after that and mostly just wanted game news and not so much opinions. Now I'm very bored so I post comments.

Edit: Now that I've thought about it I think I used the username Fyodor back then. Didn't post much.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I was too busy with Battlefield 1942/Desert Combat and Battlefield 2 to hang around forums. So, I wouldn't know if GS was good then or not.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Heroldp813: I remember it well. I wish I could pass my experiences on to other posters in SW and the new admin/new mods.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#30 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

I lurked without joining until 2006. But I remember some crazy threads before 7th gen.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

I think I posted very rarely on SW, I was usually on specific game forums or general console forums. I liked SW in the past (still like it now) because despite the trolling and fanboyism there was still quite a bit of info I could gather from all of it without needing to visit multiple sites. Plus what was considered a must-buy on SW was a pretty big deal and what motivated me to buy Valkyria Chronicles when it came out.

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

Yangire

Edit: I remember that user and others back in 360/ps3/wii times.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

SW is just so slow these days

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

It was fun back then but now it is meh.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the new web layout/design.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ktseymour
Member since 2005 • 1000 Posts

@Heroldp813 said:

I like to refer to this era as "Gotham city with not Batman". The Lems, Hermits, and Cows would really go at it.

It was bad.

You're probably thinking of when there technically was no System Wars sub forum. The Mod's got fed up with shutting down threads and having to mediate people arguing which was the best platform, so they started System Wars hoping people would keep it civil lol

Don't let the Date on my account fool you. I've been here since this was Ziff Davis media when the forum was nothing more then an ugly black background with red fonts blinding posters. They just screwed up my account when they switched , oh who remembers when? I don't?

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ktseymour

@lostrib said:

SW is just so slow these days

That's because all the Trolls went over to IGN after many arse kickens lol

musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

I remember the Einstein & hitler episode, the magnificent flop of Twilight princess....good times SW is a shadow of itself.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14499 Posts

The board was far more...vile? Can't find the right word. There were a lot of off-topic, flaming threads that existed exclusively to agitate anyone and everyone. I suppose the activity was higher though...

I forget the exact name but a group went off and made their own site based on SW. TheRealSW.com? Something similar. That was place was unreal - many of their gaming gifs/memes were super NSFW.

ktseymour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ktseymour

@Basinboy said:

The board was far more...vile? Can't find the right word. There were a lot of off-topic, flaming threads that existed exclusively to agitate anyone and everyone. I suppose the activity was higher though...

I forget the exact name but a group went off and made their own site based on SW. TheRealSW.com? Something similar. That was place was unreal - many of their gaming gifs/memes were super NSFW.

Oohhh, I think you're talking about ...drawing a blank....Combat Soldier? I think that was his shite hole.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No idea what was going on in the forums back then, and i'm kind of glad for that.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

If you go to the oldest topics right now for SW which is around 2007 you will see what it was like back then.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44186 Posts

Yeah, I remember getting picked on and modded by hermit Casey just for saying something as innocent as, Halo 3 Smashes Crysis lol. :P

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

oh yes, when there were mods like Case and Cake, FLOPS were epic, GUFU board...ahhh good times.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i sure do remember the banning part. Literally, if you're not 100% positive about something, you have a good chance of being banned. You couldn't say anything negative about the Wii or its a 3 to 7 days ban or more. It was a joke but for some reason the board was more active and funny.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

But anyways I made an account in Gamespot back in 2006 (Not this account that I'm currently using since I abandoned my original one) but would go to the games discussion forums or a certain game title forum but never the SW forums. It was only then in 2007 that I would go to SW a lot and remembered how crazy it was. The mods were very strict with the rules and you can get in trouble for everything because nothing about their rules were very clear.

Today I feel that they got better because the rules are easy to follow and the mods are much friendlier to deal with but back then you were always worried if you do a simple wrong thing that might get you moderated. Hell I remember one time some people got mad at me for not being interested in a game they like and would insult me and when I called them out for being whiny I got in trouble for it. Now today that doesn't happen like this anymore lol. Sure SW might be different today but at least they are not very strict like the old days.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#46  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Good times.

@Heroldp813 said:

@naughtyottsel said:

Jeez

Man, I miss those days lol. System Wars was the funniest damn message board ever. The "suicide watch's", the meltdowns, the retarded debates, and the trolls. SW's today is nothing but a shadow of it's former self. I met a lot of great people here. I mostly lurked for a long time before I made an account. Was posting a lot on "Teh Vestibule" IGN forum during those times.

It's also good to see some familiar faces that are still here, even if it's rare. :P

The site changes ruined this place

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29826 Posts

@xdude85 said:

It was just as bad back then as it is now.

Yup, its just devolved. Trolls and fanboys don't have to be clever anymore. They can act like idiots without the fear of getting banned.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@Sweetbackhair said:

Yep, the "new" Gamespot makeover was a giant failure. So many issues with the changes a lot of people left and never came back. The hardware forum was a busy, busy place. It was easy to get answers for your questions and to keep up with news with current hardware trends.

Now you're lucky if you get a couple of responses to a question in the hardware forum. I used to frequent the hardware forums multiple times a day. I now go days before I might visit the forums and actually see something worthwhile to post on.

I rarely post in the SW forum. Most posts are just people crying because things didn't work their way - I get enough of that crap from my co-workers and kids, I don't need to read about other people's problems.

skektek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By skektek
Member since 2004 • 6530 Posts

@Heroldp813 said:

It was bad.

We had much higher quality fanboys back then.

I remember fanboys that would vandalize Wikipedia to push their agenda.

One time a fanboy was spreading so much shit in SW that a Ninja Theory dev registered an account just to put him in his place. This same fanboy started another rumor that made it all the way to The Register. I may still have the conversation somewhere in my forum history.

Those were the good ol' days. Very lame now. It should be called System Scuffles.

BigBadBully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BigBadBully
Member since 2006 • 2367 Posts

I got into system wars back when Socom vs Halo was a heated battle. I was pro Socom and resorted to attacking the user and was reprimanded for it. I've since then cleaned up and stuck with keeping focus on the games/topic instead of insulting the user.