do u guys care that 360 is failing in Japan? do we need it to succeed to be #1?

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 sunnystarz
Member since 2007 • 1536 Posts

once again, MS cannot sell enough console to warrant having a japan headquarter over there. i'm glad they did alot of wonderful hiring (former FF creator, former Sega staff to try to interest J gamer to go on-line) to try to appeal to the ever so hard to please Japanese gamer crowds.

I dont really know why they even keep trying, they have the 2 big markets cover IMO ( US, EUR) in a competitive position agaist our 2 rivals

I think they should just pull the plug on ever appealing to Japanese gamer and mainly concentrated on Western-Hemisphere side of the earth. they're losing money everyday the more they stay in japanese market.

BigDizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 BigDizz
Member since 2004 • 2592 Posts
IMO microsoft does not need japan as long as they win North America, which in my eyes it looks like they will.
XYZVector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 XYZVector
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts
No they don't need Japan, the other 2 will be sufficent. If the japanese want to be nationalistic let them, since the Ps3 is a flop. The WII is good though, but they can keep thier overpriced PS3 for themselves.
Avatar image for jigglebilly1983
jigglebilly1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 jigglebilly1983
Member since 2006 • 2696 Posts
In an industry dominated by the japanese, i would say yes. If they could ever win over the japanese populace, that would be a major victory for M$, and Sony and Nintendo would be shamned for letting an American company beat them in their own house. I really dont ever see it happening ever. Nintendo and Sony would have to go completley bankrupt.
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
Considering that over 20M PS2's were sold in Japan alone.... yes, the 360 cannot afford to fail in Japan and still claim either of the top spots in the console wars.
beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts
hey the harder they try the better for us who have 360 in the end ^_-.. lost odesey and blue dragon are big example of that.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts
People that expect the 360 to beat the ps3 in worldwide sales should care.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
Well it can't dominate like the PS2 if it doesn't have all markets covered...
wiwahib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 wiwahib
Member since 2004 • 404 Posts
Microsoft should focus on the Chinese market...
Sgt_Hale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sgt_Hale
Member since 2007 • 2257 Posts
hey the harder they try the better for us who have 360 in the end ^_-.. lost odesey and blue dragon are big example of that. beldugo
But the sales of the 360 slumped again just a week after blue dragon was released... it wasn't successful in Japan. I do have high hopes for Lost Odessey but Blue Dragon reviews aren't that great.
billing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 billing
Member since 2004 • 642 Posts
In an industry dominated by the japanese, i would say yes. If they could ever win over the japanese populace, that would be a major victory for M$, and Sony and Nintendo would be shamned for letting an American company beat them in their own house. I really dont ever see it happening ever. Nintendo and Sony would have to go completley bankrupt. jigglebilly1983

It was only dominated because before Microsoft, Japanese Companies were the only ones making consoles.

Not anymore buddy!
MrGrimFandango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MrGrimFandango
Member since 2005 • 5286 Posts

They dont have to beat the other consoles, they just need to beat their own. If 360 surpassed Xbox, which it will, no doubt, it means MS will stay for the next round. I think MS will have to sell about 1.5 million in Japan by consoles end, if it gets good buzz that means their next console might be bought even more.

sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sunnystarz

They dont have to beat the other consoles, they just need to beat their own. If 360 surpassed Xbox, which it will, no doubt, it means MS will stay for the next round. I think MS will have to sell about 1.5 million in Japan by consoles end, if it gets good buzz that means their next console might be bought even more.

MrGrimFandango
i'm sure we could look forward to another XBOX in another 3-4 years, i think the lifespan of consoles will shrink alot since technology is updating every month, a new graphic chip, a new processor from intel or amd is new every year it's not like the 80's when NES rules the earth
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Lol is that the lemmings new catch phrase  " We dont need Japan to succeed"
Avatar image for Vyse_The_Daring
Vyse_The_Daring

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vyse_The_Daring
Member since 2003 • 5318 Posts
I don't care at all: I wouldn't make any money off it, and I don't play many Japanese games. I guess if some really good new Japanese games came out I would be happy, but I have so many games I want for the 360 that I'll be content.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64041 Posts
im not sure if it will be completely important considering it sells really well in europe and north america. but its something from a business standpoint they need to win. i mean no business likes to lose in any region. so i dont think ms would be happy by being beat. so the xbox should push hard.
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts
Well japanese developers aren't exactly going to churn out a good MMO, TPS, FPS, or RTS so I don't think MS needs to do that well in Japan. So as long as it doesn't affect their business here in the states, I could care less how well they do in Japan.
bustos86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bustos86
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts
IMO microsoft does not need japan as long as they win North America, which in my eyes it looks like they will.BigDizz

Even tho Sony sold as many PS2's in Japan as MS sold WorldWide. and almost, if not, twice as many in America?
When it's all said and done, more than likely the 360 will not win in any country.
MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
I live in the US, I get my western exclusive games, they get their eastern exclusive games.
jxditu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jxditu
Member since 2005 • 718 Posts
Lol is that the lemmings new catch phrase  " We dont need Japan to succeed"GsSanAndreas
japan isnt as important as it once was when it comes to sales. compared to the US and Europe which are the two places which have the most gamers right now, japan isnt key this time around. and cows really shouldnt speak about sales in japan since the ps3 is getting KILLED by the Wii in sales.
waynehead895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 waynehead895
Member since 2005 • 18660 Posts
I don't care and I don't care if MS is no. 1. All I care about is the games coming out for the 360.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
Microsoft can win without Japan. However, if it ever wants to achieve PS2-level success, Japanese support is a must. Their efforts there are not wasteful, even if they're failing.

Hopefully, North American success can translate over to Japan, as Japanese developers make stuff for the 360 in order to get it to North American consumers. But even that is somewhat unlikely.
Zerostatic0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23 Zerostatic0
Member since 2005 • 4263 Posts
I don't care at all: I wouldn't make any money off it, and I don't play many Japanese games. I guess if some really good new Japanese games came out I would be happy, but I have so many games I want for the 360 that I'll be content. Vyse_The_Daring
You don't like Resident Evil, Virtua Fighter, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Dead Rising, Shinobi, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Castlevania, Soul Calibur, etc.? Because those are all made by Japanese companies, and winning Japan will get a higher amount of those games and games like those on the 360? Well, regardless whether you like them or not, the fact remains that a big portion of the biggest games in the industry are of Japanese Origin, and these companies for the most part do care about their home market and show preference to the consoles that do well in their country.
vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts
[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]I don't care at all: I wouldn't make any money off it, and I don't play many Japanese games. I guess if some really good new Japanese games came out I would be happy, but I have so many games I want for the 360 that I'll be content. Zerostatic0
You don't like Resident Evil, Virtua Fighter, Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Dead Rising, Shinobi, Onimusha, Devil May Cry, Lost Planet, Castlevania, Soul Calibur, etc.? Because those are all made by Japanese companies, and winning Japan will get a higher amount of those games and games like those on the 360? Well, regardless whether you like them or not, the fact remains that a big portion of the biggest games in the industry are of Japanese Origin, and these companies for the most part do care about their home market and show preference to the consoles that do well in their country.

Your sig is the best sig i have seen in ALONG time
sunnystarz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sunnystarz

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo do not give a damn about you, every single one of them only cares about making money. Also, their consoles are pieces of plastic and metal, would you idolize a lamp or a hole puncher? Then stop acting like being down with the 360 (or PS3 or Wii) is initiation into some gang and now you can refer to yourself as a farm animal, and you gotta protect your fellow "gang" members! It's really, really annoying.

wasn't copyright but i feel the need to share it to the rest of the world

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
NA and Europe are more important to MS.
Zeph_Da_Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zeph_Da_Bomb
Member since 2007 • 152 Posts
i love my 360 so far, but i wish i had a ps3
beldugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 beldugo
Member since 2003 • 2374 Posts
[QUOTE="beldugo"]hey the harder they try the better for us who have 360 in the end ^_-.. lost odesey and blue dragon are big example of that. Sgt_Hale
But the sales of the 360 slumped again just a week after blue dragon was released... it wasn't successful in Japan. I do have high hopes for Lost Odessey but Blue Dragon reviews aren't that great.

hey it got 37/40 in famitsu.. if more than that one game comes out.. i'm sure they will hop on it. and the games that flop over there get praise here. look at Okami and soon blue dragon. blue dragon has akira toriyama = we all love dragon ball or yuyu hakusho or even chrono trigger. .. his work will be in there, along with the final fantasy director.. what more do you want? ;b they can try harder and will love it.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
yes to be number one you need japan too. mostly because the us and euro markets will be close but the japanese market swings to one side heavily.
Avatar image for TheDarkDisciple
TheDarkDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheDarkDisciple
Member since 2004 • 3564 Posts
No they don't need Japan, the other 2 will be sufficent. If the japanese want to be nationalistic let them, since the Ps3 is a flop. The WII is good though, but they can keep thier overpriced PS3 for themselves.XYZVector
^ exactly.
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tango90101
Member since 2006 • 5977 Posts

i think the prediction of the xbox polarizing the gaming industry is coming to fruition.

Japan has almost always been considered the home of videogaming, mainly because that's what the JAPANESE companies have been telling us for so long.

However, with way more developers (and arguably more talented developers) coming from outside Japan, the sole basis of "importance" boils down to consumers.  I'm sorry, the numbers of Japanese gamers don't allow for dictation of worldwide dominance.

Given the vast quantities of high quality games coming from outside Japan, it's safe to say japanese developers need consoles more than the consoles need them....;)

wildwild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 wildwild
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts
I dont care about Japan because I live on the other side of the world, why would anyone care if their system is doing good in Japan? Unless youre from Japan
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I care because Japanese developers make the best rpgs,and jrpgs are my fave genre.

But then again while the 360 isn't doing great in Japan were still getting some amazing looking jrpgs (blue-dragon,eternal thingy and lost odyssey).

I jsut hope Square-enix ect put more effort into making 360 jrpgs,
tegovoltio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tegovoltio
Member since 2004 • 9280 Posts
I dont care about Japan because I live on the other side of the world, why would anyone care if their system is doing good in Japan? Unless youre from Japanwildwild
Microsoft cares. It's a market And for a system to say it's No:1 worldwide it needs Japan sales.
ps3gen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ps3gen
Member since 2005 • 2023 Posts
[QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Lol is that the lemmings new catch phrase " We dont need Japan to succeed"jxditu
japan isnt as important as it once was when it comes to sales. compared to the US and Europe which are the two places which have the most gamers right now, japan isnt key this time around. and cows really shouldnt speak about sales in japan since the ps3 is getting KILLED by the Wii in sales.

you sayin japan doesnt matter beccause the ps3 and wii is literally destroying the 360 there..lol..microosft think its important...so lemming you should listen to your leaders..
tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tango90101

[QUOTE="jxditu"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Lol is that the lemmings new catch phrase " We dont need Japan to succeed"ps3gen

you sayin japan doesnt matter beccause the ps3 and wii is literally destroying the 360 there..lol..microosft think its important...so lemming you should listen to your leaders..

i think we're saying Japan doesn't matter because the Wii is trouncing the ps3 in Japan but is still in last place worldwide...;)

wildwild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wildwild
Member since 2004 • 1139 Posts

[QUOTE="wildwild"]I dont care about Japan because I live on the other side of the world, why would anyone care if their system is doing good in Japan? Unless youre from Japantegovoltio
Microsoft cares. It's a market And for a system to say it's No:1 worldwide it needs Japan sales.

I know that. What I mean is that why would fanboys care about Japan?

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

I know how they can catch up in Japan. First make Master Chief really feminine and have him philosophise about the rights that the covenent have, the uselessness of war and the futility of existence, then add a talking animal, then convert the combat system over to turn based, then make Cortana extra chipper and air-headed and underage but sexy and dressed as a schoolgirl. Make Master Chief's armor into a twenty foot tall mech. Follow that up by removing all online, add a really bad camera system and there you have it, a sure fire system seller for Japan.

ps3gen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ps3gen
Member since 2005 • 2023 Posts

[QUOTE="ps3gen"][QUOTE="jxditu"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Lol is that the lemmings new catch phrase " We dont need Japan to succeed"tango90101

i think we're saying Japan doesn't matter because the Wii is trouncing the ps3 in Japan but is still in last place worldwide...;)

give it up ..lol...its true the wii is first right now but the ps3 is 2nd and what position is the 360...DEAD LAST!!
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

[QUOTE="Vyse_The_Daring"]I don't care at all: I wouldn't make any money off it, and I don't play many Japanese games. I guess if some really good new Japanese games came out I would be happy, but I have so many games I want for the 360 that I'll be content. Zerostatic0

Of all those games only Dead Rising grabs me (with cold dead arms) and it really surprised me as to how good it was. Lost Planet I haven't played but it looks like an average shooter. MGS, a stealth game made up of what 30% cutscenes? No thanks. I have never liked fighters and haven't played a Silent Hill/Resid evil game in ages as I had a 360/PC. So nothing there that interests me except DR. BTW great sig.

EDIT: meant to say xbox(original)/PC ... I now have a 360/PC :D

tango90101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tango90101
[QUOTE="tango90101"]

[QUOTE="ps3gen"][QUOTE="jxditu"][QUOTE="GsSanAndreas"]Lol is that the lemmings new catch phrase " We dont need Japan to succeed"ps3gen

i think we're saying Japan doesn't matter because the Wii is trouncing the ps3 in Japan but is still in last place worldwide...;)

give it up ..lol...its true the wii is first right now but the ps3 is 2nd and what position is the 360...DEAD LAST!!

actually the 360's WORLDWIDE position (read: more important) is DEAD FIRST.... :)

the ps3?  dead last....

what happened to the "100 million userbase"...?  :lol:

Nex_Ownage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Nex_Ownage
Member since 2004 • 4753 Posts
Yes, because my favourite game genres are usually developed in Japan ( RPGS, FIghters , Action Adventures) and although it's doing good (game-wise) at the moment, it needs to do better inorder for it to keep the support... Hell, Mist Walker is already talking about moving Blue Dragon 2 to the DS...
DSgamer64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#43 DSgamer64
Member since 2007 • 4449 Posts

Its failing because people in Japan dont want to play shooters all the time, plus there are no good JRPG's on the 360. Also it fails because the Japanese hate Microsoft, they cant even make a damn good OS so what makes people think they make a good console. Also maybe they are just smart enough to know that you get way more out of the PS3 for the price then you do out of the 360, I mean high def movie support and large games, free online gameplay, bigger HDD and a larger variety of games in the future.

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. History lesson for you: Final sales (regional; in millions): SNES Europe: 8.58 NA: 23.35 Japan: 17.15 Genesis/Mega Drive Europe: 9.36 NA: 17.80 Japan: 3.59 Final Sales SNES: 49.08 Genesis: 30.75 The Genesis stuck very close with the SNES, but couldn't out sell it. Why? Because no matter how well it did matching the SNES elsewhere (even outselling it in Europe), it was losing in Japan by 14 million units. And given the tear the Wii has been on through out all 3 regions, the 360 will be very hard pressed to keep a lead if it can't do better in Japan.
gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts
If the Xbox has the U.S and Europe, then yes they can succeed without Japan.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Hoffgod"]Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. History lesson for you: Final sales (regional; in millions): SNES Europe: 8.58 NA: 23.35 Japan: 17.15 Genesis/Mega Drive Europe: 9.36 NA: 17.80 Japan: 3.59 Final Sales SNES: 49.08 Genesis: 30.75 The Genesis stuck very close with the SNES, but couldn't out sell it. Why? Because no matter how well it did matching the SNES elsewhere (even outselling it in Europe), it was losing in Japan by 14 million units. And given the tear the Wii has been on through out all 3 regions, the 360 will be very hard pressed to keep a lead if it can't do better in Japan.

good post. it's just as i said. the Japanese market is a lot more polarizing. when it goes one console it goes in a BIG way. so even though the 360 might win in the US and EUR the Japanese difference will more than erase all the gains in other regions. these happened with the psp and ds as well as your example.
Avatar image for Mikazukinoyaiba
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Mikazukinoyaiba
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts
Oh wow.. Anyone who actually thinks Microsoft doesn't need to win over or get a strong wave in the Japanese market is a fool. The fact is, there are MANY gamers who love japanese games. I'm not talking the wacky *** games... but also the well-established francises like Final Fantasy and the genres pro-dominately preferred by the Japanese. Because many gamers here also have those type of tastes, personally I love RPGs and games with great story development and Japanese developers are still the best at that. If Microsoft wants to appeal to more gamers and convince the consumers that they should stick with MS solely they need to appeal to everyone. Not only the "hardcore" shooter/racing fans.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
Oh wow.. Anyone who actually thinks Microsoft doesn't need to win over or get a strong wave in the Japanese market is a fool. The fact is, there are MANY gamers who love japanese games. I'm not talking the wacky *** games... but also the well-established francises like Final Fantasy and the genres pro-dominately preferred by the Japanese. Because many gamers here also have those type of tastes, personally I love RPGs and games with great story development and Japanese developers are still the best at that. If Microsoft wants to appeal to more gamers and convince the consumers that they should stick with MS solely they need to appeal to everyone. Not only the "hardcore" shooter/racing fans.Mikazukinoyaiba
Having poor taste in games is one thing but the fact that you actually went with "wacky *** games", now thats just comedy. 
Avatar image for Mikazukinoyaiba
Mikazukinoyaiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mikazukinoyaiba
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

Having poor taste in games is one thing but the fact that you actually went with "wacky *** games", now thats just comedy

Eh? I don't like the Wacky *** games, like Katamari Damachi or the one game where you fight a bunch of giant insects that invade Japan. How is not liking them a "bad taste" in games?
peaceful_anger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 peaceful_anger
Member since 2007 • 2568 Posts
Does MS need Japan to win the war? Maybe, maybe not, but what if all three consoles are selling well in the US and Europe, and they are only separated by a few million sales? Say if 360 has 50 million, PS3 has 40 million, and Wii has 45 million. MS would be up **** creek because the Wii/PS3 would end up selling millions in Japan while the 360 only sells maybe one million. This would put the Wii/PS3 in the position to win the war. No matter how much lemmings deny it, Japan is important and could possibly sway the entire console war.