do the current gen consoles feel outdated?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

I guess it has something to do with the hd consoles' unability to run games at 1080p at 60fps and their lack in the exclusive department. Many pc gamers use this argument when comparing consoles with Pc, stating that the current systems are nothing more than crippled pc's, with a few exclusives here and there that are the only reason why someone would choose a console over a gaming rig.

but is there really such a huge difference between a pc multiplat and a console's? I guess there's not, considering that you play console games at a distance and you won't notice the graphical jaggies, while on Pc you usually sit very near the monitor, not to mention the fiddling with game settings in order to play it decently.

so, is the hassle really worth it when the difference are not night and day as someone would think?

mystervj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mystervj
Member since 2010 • 2213 Posts
PC/console gap is pretty small compare 2 last gen
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
consoles are holding up very well imo. This same thing happens every gen and if the past is any indication then the consoles this gen still have some juice left. The wii is a wild card of course
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
Graphics are not the only thing outdated on consoles imo. I can not stand being contricted on a console. The PC allows so much freedom when trying to play with a console I just can not stand it. Being confined to 1 controller style when I can us a mouse and a keyboard or any number of controllers on a PC. In my eyes there is no reason to play on a console if you have the funds ( which honestly is no where near as bad as ppl make it) or just lack the knowledge.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Wii: yes,******** yes.

PS3/360: No. Developers are cramming more and more power out of them. They are even comparable to PC visuals.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I'm still impressed by some of the games that have released this gen but the lower budget games or the sloppy ports that the PS3 gets do seem outdated compared to this gen's finer games.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

Eh, I don't know if they feel outdated, but they're definitely weak compared to the hardware that is available nowadays. But I guess that happens every generation of consoles.

Then again, my computer isn't the most powerful computer, so my opinion might be different if I had some money to upgrade with.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
Graphics are not the only thing outdated on consoles imo. I can not stand being contricted on a console. The PC allows so much freedom when trying to play with a console I just can not stand it. Being confined to 1 controller style when I can us a mouse and a keyboard or any number of controllers on a PC. In my eyes there is no reason to play on a console if you have the funds ( which honestly is no where near as bad as ppl make it) or just lack the knowledge. millerlight89
well that's a whole other issue all together
fastr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 fastr
Member since 2010 • 2100 Posts
nope, doesn't feel it at all.
fighter91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 fighter91
Member since 2005 • 1293 Posts
No. Last gen I would have said yes but not this gen.
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

PS3/360: No. Developers are cramming more and more power out of them. They are even comparable to PC visuals.

dercoo

No.. just no....don't mistake devs not going the extra mile on PC multiplats with consoles graphics being comparable to PC visuals.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts
They sure do to me.
godzillavskong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 godzillavskong
Member since 2007 • 7904 Posts

They don't seem outdated to me, but it seems like a lot of PC gamers feel they are. I don't game on a PC , so I really wouldn't know about that aspect of gaming, however I do think they are starting to squeeze a lot more power out of the two HD consoles. They may be dated from a memory stand point, with the 512mb ram, and 256edram, but their custom processors make up for a lot of that. I'm happy with the current state of consoles, and feel there is a big enough library out there to keep me gaming for a while. I will get the next lineup of consoles @ launch, and I hope they are equipped with this gens PC innards, so I can see what all the fuss is about .

Gezo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gezo24
Member since 2009 • 228 Posts

I guess it has something to do with the hd consoles' unability to run games at 1080p at 60fps Metroid_Other_M

Have you ever seen MGS4 in 1080p?

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

Espada12

No.. just no....don't mistake devs not going the extra mile on PC multiplats with consoles graphics being comparable to PC visuals.

Are they compared and debated against PC visuals, yes all the time on this forum.

The HD consoles are closer to PCs then any consoles of past gens.

gabrielkipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gabrielkipp
Member since 2009 • 286 Posts

PC will always be miles ahead, and will always cost heaps more.

The consoles today do feel outdated, Xbox 360 has now been around for 5 years (though they made a slim console) and the PS3 for 3 years. Probably around 2012 they will release a new console, i hear that Apple is makeing a console for the next generation.Mabye Either PS, MS, or Nintendo will die out. If that does happen i will gaurantee you it will be the wii because Xbox has Natal and Sony has the Move which are superior to the Wii.

They're just my thoughts though.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

They don't seem outdated to me, but it seems like a lot of PC gamers feel they are. I don't game on a PC , so I really wouldn't know about that aspect of gaming, however I do think they are starting to squeeze a lot more power out of the two HD consoles. They may be dated from a memory stand point, with the 512mb ram, and 256edram, but their custom processors make up for a lot of that. I'm happy with the current state of consoles, and feel there is a big enough library out there to keep me gaming for a while. I will get the next lineup of consoles @ launch, and I hope they are equipped with this gens PC innards, so I can see what all the fuss is about .

godzillavskong

Its not 256mb edram, its only 10mb. Both consoles have 512mb of total memory for video and system usage split up into 256mb/256mb 256mb is very limiting because they have to shrink level sizes(area of interactivity) Objects etc. And also having only 256mb of video memory is also the reason that the consoles dont have high resolutions and highly detailed textures&graphics and being blurry/unsharp. The only reson the current consoles dont feel outdated is because most games are multiplatform which they have to designed to run the old and outdated console hardware, not allowing Pc to be able to strut its stuff. Heck Pc has gpu's from 2005 that were equal if not slightly better and had more resources(memory) then the console gpu's have to use. then in 2006 Pc had a gpu that was nearly 4x faster with 3x the memory. And now there are gpu's that are 12x faster with 8x the memory.

xYamatox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xYamatox
Member since 2005 • 5180 Posts

Games still feel next gen to me, so no. While PC gaming at it's prime is more powerful than console gaming by a jump, the MAJORITY of PC gamers don't have a Crysis-Maxing rig, so as a whole PC gaming isn't too far ahead of the game.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#19 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

They were after Crysis came out...

The best looking console games have to downgrade something to barely reach 720p and 30FPS.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the wii , is the future ,

-obviously true but ya,

i do feel without hit games like rugrats , top gear , timesplitters etc these consoles feel like updated last gen tech which to be honest isnt good !

especally with the hd twins having more of the same ol every day , -you know what i m talkin about , how almost every game on store shelfs is a first person shooter ,

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

the wii , is the future ,

-obviously true but ya,

i do feel without hit games like rugrats , top gear , timesplitters etc these consoles feel like updated last gen tech which to be honest isnt good !

especally with the hd twins having more of the same ol every day , -you know what i m talkin about , how almost every game on store shelfs is a first person shooter ,

mariokart64fan

Rugrats? Really. It was a fun cartoon... well the original was awesome, not this new crap, and as for it being a game:P. If Wii is the future for consoles.... glad I am a PC gamer.

Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

Well, considering the best looking games on consoles tend to be linear corridor shooters that even then don't play at 1080p with max settings, and at 60fps? Yes, yes they feel incredibly outdated.

But it's not just the visuals. Even the online on consoles still hasn't caught up to what PC has had for years and years. The consoles don't have near the same amount of features, or capabilities.

SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#23 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
1080p at 60fps? What kind of PC do you have? :?
Avatar image for Raymundo_Manuel
Raymundo_Manuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Raymundo_Manuel
Member since 2010 • 4641 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

dercoo

Are they compared and debated against PC visuals, yes all the time on this forum.

The HD consoles are closer to PCs then any consoles of past gens.

You mean on this forum full of fanboys?

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I'm still getting impressed by games so I would say no.
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#26 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

The gap between console and pc is becoming far more noticeable. I'm happy that we're at least getting a new hand held system.

spike6566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 spike6566
Member since 2008 • 1630 Posts
well playing the Wii, yes. If feels like i am playing a PS2 console. as for the 360 and PS3, loving every minute with them.
Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

No way. I don't think the 36 or PS3 feel "outdated" at all, that's completely ridiculous lol. They are current gen. So, at lest the way I see it, it would be difficult to consider them or perceive them as such. The pc argument seems irrelevent to me. Mostly because A) I donot play or care about pc so that becomes just my personal opinion. And B ) Today's HD consoles are close to on par PCs. That gap is dwindling extremely fast and I know pc gamers deny it but to me that's a little silly and fanboyish. It's a simple and non-threatening fact.

And now I relly love the Wii. It's great console but i'm torn on this one. Obviously the visual tech on most games is outdated for sure there's no getting around that. But there are games like the Galaxy games and the upcoming Metroid Other M that look fantastic and closer to next gen. And the unique controller to me feels like a next gen experience even with lesser graphics. So that's my two cents.

IcyToasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IcyToasters
Member since 2007 • 12476 Posts

1080p at 60fps? What kind of PC do you have? :?SparkyProtocol

Well, 1080p is... A native resolution of 1920x1080...
I've seen people playing games like Battlefield Bad Company 2 maxed out, with three large monitors, so I imagine having one monitor running at a 1920x1080, playing games at 60fps isn't that unreasonable...

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 karasill
Member since 2007 • 3155 Posts
Hmmm. Compare the console version of Battlefield Bad Compay 2 to the PC version running at twice the framerate with 8xAA and 16xAF at a higher resolution... The difference is night and day my friend. With that said there are still some console games that do impress me at a technical level. Don't get me wrong, I do love playing games on my console, but there is a reason why PC hardware is more expensive then consoles and it's only expected that given the right hardware a PC can take a multiplat game to a whole other level that a console can't touch.
karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 karasill

Those PC's aren't unheard of :? A nice mid-high range PC can do that easily... Maybe you forget that PC hardware is constantly getting more powerful while consoles are fixed...

I mean when the PS3 launched the one of most powerful GPUs on the PC was the Geforce 7800 GTX , and that was not much faster then the GPU in the PS3 so they were fairly even in some regards in that time period. Fast Forward 4 years and we now have GPUs that are literally 8-10 times more powerful then the 7800 GTX. Is it really far fetched to believe that PC gamers have access to powerful hardware without killing their wallet?

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#32 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I guess an expensive one...

Download_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Download_Me
Member since 2010 • 118 Posts
Hmmm. Compare the console version of Battlefield Bad Compay 2 to the PC version running at twice the framerate with 8xAA and 16xAF at a higher resolution... The difference is night and day my friend. With that said there are still some console games that do impress me at a technical level. Don't get me wrong, I do love playing games on my console, but there is a reason why PC hardware is more expensive then consoles and it's only expected that given the right hardware a PC can take a multiplat game to a whole other level that a console can't touch.karasill
Sure thing man. Keep telling yourself that.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
The gap is bigger than ever before imo. PC gamers now got some crazy features like 3D in hundreds of titles, Eyefinity (multi monitor gaming at 3240p), 120hz monitors giving you the ability to experience extremely smooth games at 120fps and PhysX effects. Its a whole different experience if you got the hardware.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
360 feels outdated compared to the PS3 sorry to say...
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 waltefmoney
Member since 2010 • 18030 Posts

360 feels outdated compared to the PS3 sorry to say...KHAndAnime

No it doesn't. :|

Anyway, of course not. The only people saying consoles feel outdated are PC fanboys.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]

I guess it has something to do with the hd consoles' unability to run games at 1080p at 60fps Gezo24

noone has since the game doesnt even run at 720p.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 SamiRDuran

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]360 feels outdated compared to the PS3 sorry to say...waltefmoney

Anyway, of course not. The only people saying consoles feel outdated are PC fanboys.

and the people that say consoles are not outdated are console owners that never experienced pc gaming or simply lack any sort of knowledge about hardware.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts
I can't stand the controllers. It's a night and day difference when it comes to controls and customizing your game. Also, mods.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]360 feels outdated compared to the PS3 sorry to say...SamiRDuran

and the people that say consoles are not outdated are console owners that never experienced pc gaming or simply lack any sort of knowledge about hardware.

How can anyone not have experienced PC gaming? Playing a flash game is also PC gaming. Playing WoW is PC gaming. And not playing on a PC means you have no hardware knowledge? Jesus that's hilarious. How about people that just don't like playing on a typing machine?

Azurites

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Azurites
Member since 2010 • 565 Posts

[QUOTE="SparkyProtocol"]1080p at 60fps? What kind of PC do you have? :?mitu123

I guess an expensive one...

Not very amazing really, and it can be done for around 700-800.

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 karasill

[QUOTE="karasill"]Hmmm. Compare the console version of Battlefield Bad Compay 2 to the PC version running at twice the framerate with 8xAA and 16xAF at a higher resolution... The difference is night and day my friend. With that said there are still some console games that do impress me at a technical level. Don't get me wrong, I do love playing games on my console, but there is a reason why PC hardware is more expensive then consoles and it's only expected that given the right hardware a PC can take a multiplat game to a whole other level that a console can't touch.Download_Me
Sure thing man. Keep telling yourself that.

I have eyes, I can see it for myself ;) Being an owner of consoles and a PC I can clearly see the differences. If you want to believe otherwise then fine, it doesnt bother me. Like I said I can see it for myself, I dont have totell myself anything.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26650 Posts

Probably one like mine or better. :P In the sig.

Depending on what game we're referring to.

My 260 GTX could max out almost every multiplat at 1080p with 60 fps, but the 480GTX just kills them. :D

karasill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 karasill

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

How can anyone not have experienced PC gaming? Playing a flash game is also PC gaming. Playing WoW is PC gaming. And not playing on a PC means you have no hardware knowledge? Jesus that's hilarious. How about people that just don't like playing on a typing machine?

I'm pretty sure he means playing high profile PC games with mid-high end hardware. If you want to reduce the PC to a typing machine then fine, that's your loss. But I like to see it as an "everything" machine since I for one can hook it up to a tv, have it work with my remote control, and even hook up a PS3 or 360 controller to it and play my games that way if I so choose.

SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SamiRDuran

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

waltefmoney

If you had any knowledge about hardware you would know that current gen consoles are extremely outdated. So according to you playing on a SNES gives you the experience of current gen consoles can offer? because thats what you just said about pc gaming and flash games. typing machine? now you are just trolling...
Avatar image for Metroid_Other_M
Metroid_Other_M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Metroid_Other_M
Member since 2009 • 438 Posts

[QUOTE="Metroid_Other_M"]

I guess it has something to do with the hd consoles' unability to run games at 1080p at 60fps Gezo24

no, because it's sub-hd. where did you play it in 1080p?
tommyas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tommyas
Member since 2007 • 2594 Posts

I guess it has something to do with the hd consoles' unability to run games at 1080p at 60fps and their lack in the exclusive department. Many pc gamers use this argument when comparing consoles with Pc, stating that the current systems are nothing more than crippled pc's, with a few exclusives here and there that are the only reason why someone would choose a console over a gaming rig.

but is there really such a huge difference between a pc multiplat and a console's? I guess there's not, considering that you play console games at a distance and you won't notice the graphical jaggies, while on Pc you usually sit very near the monitor, not to mention the fiddling with game settings in order to play it decently.

so, is the hassle really worth it when the difference are not night and day as someone would think?

Metroid_Other_M
Games dont need 1080p and 60 fps to be awesome. I think comparing PC and console in terms of graphics is pointless completely. Exclusive games are worth owning a console IMO. Also its impressive what consoles can do with 512 RAM. Look at Uncharted 2 or Gran Turismo 5.
waltefmoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 waltefmoney

[QUOTE="waltefmoney"]

[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"] and the people that say consoles are not outdated are console owners that never experienced pc gaming or simply lack any sort of knowledge about hardware.SamiRDuran

If you had any knowledge about hardware you would know that current gen consoles are extremely outdated. So according to you playing on a SNES gives you the experience of current gen consoles can offer? because thats what you just said about pc gaming and flash games. typing machine? now you are just trolling...

Is the gap in multiplatform games that wide? Of course not. So, yes, PC has better graphics, what else is new? Console hardware is outdated. Yes, and? Console hardware will always be outdated. But does that make them bad for gaming? Of course not. I'm fine with the graphical level of console games at the moment. If all we get until the end of this generation is Uncharted 2 graphical quality, fine by me.

aia89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50 aia89
Member since 2009 • 2828 Posts

I could not run well AC2 on my 2-year old Pc, ran jerkly even at medium settings. while on the 360 it's pretty smooth and only looks slightly worse than the pc version

comparison screenshots