Do other people find some Japanese devs remarkably uncreative?

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

I'm sure this isn't exclusive to Japanese devs, but I was just looking at the Tekken/Soul Calibur/Dead Or Alive series (I own a couple) and realised how unimaginative the devs really are. It's not just these games either, Squarenix seems to be a massive culprit promoting sterile games, and I can think of a lot of other devs who are also uninspired.

I'd say it's a problem with Western games too, specifically from Ubisoft with GRAW and its sequel, or R6 Vegas and its sequel, as a few examples. But from my observation (ie. I could be very wrong so feel free to show me why) it seems to be a lot more common with Japanese devs. Obviously there are some exceptions to the idea.

Take Soul Calibur for example. Soul Calibur 3 was basically Soul Calibur 2 with prettier graphics. Soul Calibur 4 will probably be Soul Calibur 3 with shiny new graphics and a Cameron Diaz lookalike in Ivy with enhanced boob physics. Fascinating as that is, it's not worth releasing a new game over it.

Do you still purchase these games if you know they do little to improve the series? Will you be puchasing SCIV if you know it doesn't do much to innovative?

Tekken has really suffered in sales and it seems to be a growing trend that the market refuses crappy sequels, although this trend hasn't occured in Western countries yet. Is this a problem or is it OK to have games that add nothing to the series? What do you guys think?

blitzkid1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 blitzkid1
Member since 2008 • 3952 Posts
Fanboys complain bout change look at banjo.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

Updated game mechanics, new character, varied movesets.

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#4 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
It seems like a lot of Japanese devs just pump out fan service games when it comes to fighters and rpgs. Some really great games have come from the east though and I hope the minds at Atlus, PlatinumGames, and some of the free-thinkers at SE keep at it.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 the-very-best

Fanboys complain bout change look at banjo.blitzkid1

True... but most people seem fine with the change. Wii is a good example of that.

Updated game mechanics, new character, varied movesets.

ArisShadows

Same thing said about SC3.

aaron5829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aaron5829
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts
"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the-very-best

"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?aaron5829

Much more with Japanese devs. Also said that in the OP.

I can't really think of many examples for Western devs outside of Ubi.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
You have to remeber that there is only so much that you can for fighting games without completely overhauling the system. I will give you SCIII. I honestly think that it is worse than sould caliburII
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

You have to remeber that there is only so much that you can for fighting games without completely overhauling the system. I will give you SCIII. I honestly think that it is worse than sould caliburIIlaughingman42

I never bought SC3 due the fact I heard it had this vicious glitch that could corrupt your memory card.

aaron5829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aaron5829
Member since 2004 • 1539 Posts

[QUOTE="aaron5829"]"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?the-very-best

EA ...
Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts

i disagree, atleast a handfull of devs keep their 30 years old franchices fresh.i think creativity isnt as important as gameplay now, since a game can be as complex as the devs like, i mean can you imagine crysis in the snes?

just another boring rambo wannabe.

Jack_Bauer07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Jack_Bauer07
Member since 2006 • 1141 Posts
Well, I don't play a lot of games made by Japanese developers but video games definitely do seem to suffer from a lack of creativity. What was probably my favorite series, Tony Hawk, left me very disappointed with Project 8. I recently saw Jeff Gerstmann on X-Play and he agrees that with games like DMC4, Japanese devs are scarcely innovating games that sell well and just go with what worked in the past. I'm glad that Hideo Kojima seems to have a lot of surprises story and gameplay wise that should help to push the Metal Gear series. Nevertheless, judging from gameplay videos, the game will have the same core mechanics of the previous Metal Gear Solid games.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]You have to remeber that there is only so much that you can for fighting games without completely overhauling the system. I will give you SCIII. I honestly think that it is worse than sould caliburIIArisShadows

I never bought SC3 due the fact I heard it had this vicious glitch that could corrupt your memory card.

I didn't buy it but I played it. cervantes (I can't spell it) had an infinite wall combo that made him ridiculusly good.

clintos59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clintos59
Member since 2008 • 1320 Posts

I'm sure this isn't exclusive to Japanese devs, but I was just looking at the Tekken/Soul Calibur/Dead Or Alive series (I own a couple) and realised how unimaginative the devs really are. It's not just these games either, Squarenix seems to be a massive culprit promoting sterile games, and I can think of a lot of other devs who are also uninspired.

I'd say it's a problem with Western games too, specifically from Ubisoft with GRAW and its sequel, or R6 Vegas and its sequel, as a few examples. But from my observation (ie. I could be very wrong so feel free to show me why) it seems to be a lot more common with Japanese devs. Obviously there are some exceptions to the idea.

Take Soul Calibur for example. Soul Calibur 3 was basically Soul Calibur 2 with prettier graphics. Soul Calibur 4 will probably be Soul Calibur 3 with shiny new graphics and a Cameron Diaz lookalike in Ivy with enhanced boob physics. Fascinating as that is, it's not worth releasing a new game over it.

Do you still purchase these games if you know they do little to improve the series? Will you be puchasing SCIV if you know it doesn't do much to innovative?

Tekken has really suffered in sales and it seems to be a growing trend that the market refuses crappy sequels, although this trend hasn't occured in Western countries yet. Is this a problem or is it OK to have games that add nothing to the series? What do you guys think?

the-very-best

I know what u mean but I think its just certain games where really its hard to get creative with them. Like games like Tekken, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive. This genre of gaming will always be the same because its just the way they were built. I can only see it changing by graphics and maybe adding moves but its kind of hard for them to change things up because there are still alot people who like those type games. I use to be one of the die hard for these games but I find them kind of boring after playing it for like a week but there still cool when u have friends over or if it has online features but u kind of get bored of these type games real quick. I wish they would like have the fighting modes like they always have done but like add a campaighing for each character where u can play out his story and add more value to the game. That way people can actually take the time to play each characters story and stuff and get to know more about the characters and also give us a more lasting appealing with these genre of games. Also online. All these games need that feature or it would be a waste of money.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts

[QUOTE="aaron5829"]"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?the-very-best

Umm EA, Activision, and Bungie. Don't tell you think they are creative
Shinobi7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Shinobi7777
Member since 2006 • 1064 Posts
All I can say is.... ICO
jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
All I can say is.... ICOShinobi7777
Don't forget Shadow of the Colossus
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts
I don't agree with RPG's being uncreative. Just look at The World Ends With You and the new Valkyrie game for the ps3. Another good one is White Knight Story.
shaoxiong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 shaoxiong
Member since 2008 • 32 Posts
yes i do ! . personally i dont rly like japanese people
Cyberfairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Cyberfairy
Member since 2003 • 5180 Posts

yes i do ! . personally i dont rly like japanese people shaoxiong

umm, why's that?

D3monchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 D3monchicken
Member since 2005 • 1270 Posts

[QUOTE="shaoxiong"]yes i do ! . personally i dont rly like japanese people Cyberfairy

umm, why's that?

Maybe he lives in the Phillipines, Pacific Islands or Pearl Harbor?

MythManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MythManiac
Member since 2005 • 511 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyberfairy"]

[QUOTE="shaoxiong"]yes i do ! . personally i dont rly like japanese people D3monchicken

umm, why's that?

Maybe he lives in the Phillipines, Pacific Islands or Pearl Harbor?

Lol, gamespot, a history lesson :P
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

Can you name any creative games from Western developers?

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

I'd say that the Japanese have made more creative games this gen than American devs, at least on consoles.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

I'd say that the Japanese have made more creative games this gen than American devs, at least on consoles.

Eponique

I agree. JPRG's are some of the best games I have played.

MojondeVACA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MojondeVACA
Member since 2008 • 3916 Posts
MGS 4 is just MGS 3 with different setting if we use your logic..
snakefist5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 snakefist5000
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
I tend to find that most japanese games are either hack and slash's or rpg's, which they tend to be overly repetative.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JLF1
Member since 2005 • 8263 Posts

I tend to find that most japanese games are either hack and slash's or rpg's, which they tend to be overly repetative.snakefist5000

Unlike FPS, TPS and base building RTS games were you do different things all the time.

Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts

the-very-best

sequals will always be the same game with better graphics or a new gimmick added (see mario, zelda, halo, god of war, gears of war, every fighting game, every racing game etc, etc, etc.)

developers are afraid to take risks on stuff and would rather use the tried and true formula over and over and over (see sports games and their updated rosters every other year)

only a few games stand out from the same old same old. (usually a new development company trying to make a name for itself, or one so talented it can pull off change)

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
Who makes Dynasty Warriors? Koei? Boring hack n slash games....bleh!!!!
Avatar image for gearsofhalogeek
gearsofhalogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gearsofhalogeek
Member since 2007 • 1020 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="aaron5829"]"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?Supafly1

easy: anything by sid meir (civilization, alpha centari) anything from will wright (sim city, sims)

basically every MMO ever created has been created in the west.

Fallout 1, 2, tactics,

witcher

every dungeons and dragons game pc and console alike (heck even the creator of the board game is western)

mass effect and kotor (imo better than the tripe that square has been throwing at us since FFX (X2, XI, and XII)

bioshock

basically 99 percent of pc games and 360 games are developed in the west, compared to the 99 percent of Nintendo and PS games in the east

Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts
didnt soul calibur 3 have create charactor, a new quest mode and new charactors? seems enough for me
velocity99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 velocity99
Member since 2005 • 480 Posts

That is riduculous. If you'v ever played any Final Fantasy, you'd know that they might as well all be different games (save for X-2 and CC, fanservice). All of the final fantasies have the same fundamental gameplay, with really good and in my opinion innovative systems built around it. My favorite is still the Junction, GF, and critical hit systems in FF8. It's like saying all shooting games are uncreative because you shoot a weapon.

Another thing i have to disagree on is that Soul Calibur 4 is uncreative. That is simply not true. From the character design to the universe of Soul Calibur, you won't find anything else like it. As for new game play features? Try a brand new combat system with guard breaks, criticals, combo grabs, and the Soul Calibur equivalent of final smashes. They are also adding online play which i hope will be rich in features, it's about time.

metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts
I Find Square-Enix to do rather well. Each FF is a vastly different game in terms of story, themes, and they never release one with the exact same battle system
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
YEP.

NEW IPS West

Versus

NEW IPS Japan

You can do the numbers yourself, it will come out in the west's favor
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 JLF1
[QUOTE="Supafly1"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="aaron5829"]"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?gearsofhalogeek

easy: anything by sid meir (civilization, alpha centari) anything from will wright (sim city, sims)

Fallout 1, 2, tactics,

witcher

every dungeons and dragons game pc and console alike (heck even the creator of the board game is western)

mass effect and kotor (imo better than the tripe that square has been throwing at us since FFX (X2, XI, and XII)

bioshock

basically 99 percent of pc games and 360 games are developed in the west, compared to the 99 percent of Nintendo and PS games in the east

1: I think he is talking about this generation.
2: Half of those games aren't really creative. Fallout 2? yeah that is so creative compared to the first one. Mass effect = Kotor Without the Star Wars license. Bioshock = try System Shock 2 but worse.
3: Japanese developers also have some great games this gen.

No More Heroes, Dead Rising, Trauma center, Wii sports, Patapon, Lumines, Meteos, Zack and Wiki.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JLF1
YEP.

NEW IPS West

Versus

NEW IPS Japan

You can do the numbers yourself, it will come out in the west's favorjg4xchamp

I don't think TVBs point was about the number of new IPs but how creative they are.
Western devs has a lot of new IPs but not that much creativity in them.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jg4xchamp

Eponique
Bioshock, Mass Effect, Portal, Assassins Creed, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Gears of War, etc are all new ips

PC or Consoles the West has been pushing more new IPS than the East
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="aaron5829"]"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?Supafly1

hrm... sticking to recent games - skate, boom blox, pirates!, spore, portal, left 4 dead, sins of a solar empire, bioshock, STALKER, Prey, trackmania, FNR3, age of conan, dawn of war.. some of them do things in a new way, some of them just do things completely different if you go back to older, there's SS2, NOLF, interstate '76, starsiege: tribes, ground control, alpha centauri, max payne, half-life, shogo, blah blah i can just keep on going haha
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jg4xchamp
Ok well if its not a new ip thing than holy crap the west isn't all that original either.

The most ORIGINAL games are what

Zack and Wikki, No More Heroes, Portal, Assassins Creed, and what else?

Everything else wasn't very creative, heck some people call Mario Galaxy creative. AMazing game, but not creative.
manicfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 manicfoot
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

Some are, yes. But then again you do get some insanely creative and bizarre developers like Suda51 who I absolutely love.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Makari
Ok well if its not a new ip thing than holy crap the west isn't all that original either.

Everything else wasn't very creative, heck some people call Mario Galaxy creative. AMazing game, but not creative.jg4xchamp
how was zack and wiki creative? it was basically like an old-school adventure game on the PC with the wiimote
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 JLF1

Everything else wasn't very creative, heck some people call Mario Galaxy creative. AMazing game, but not creative.jg4xchamp

I agree, this gen has been a huge disappointment so far. The only systems with some creativity are the handhelds and PC. PS3, Wii and 360 has almost only been sequels so far.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Ok well if its not a new ip thing than holy crap the west isn't all that original either.

Everything else wasn't very creative, heck some people call Mario Galaxy creative. AMazing game, but not creative.JLF1

I agree, this gen has been a huge disappointment so far. The only systems with some creativity are the handhelds and PC. PS3, Wii and 360 has almost only been sequels so far.

I disagree with this. The gen may not be pumping out INNOVATORS but its pumping out amazing games. I think this gen is far better than last gen. Last gen was some great games, i loved alot of them. But it never topped PS1/64 for me.

This gen i allready enjoy more than last... Maybe its because recently there has been a good game or couple of good games released every month, where as last gen we had some droughts(for me atleast)
Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
kojima is creative
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Makari
I'd also venture a guess that The World Ends With You is pretty ridiculously creative on all counts. :D The setting, art, gameplay and all... some of it's traditional JRPG, but manages to be fresh and different. Loooooooove the game.
Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts
[QUOTE="Supafly1"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

[QUOTE="aaron5829"]"I'd say it's a problem with Western games too" ..... Then why put Japanese on the title ?gearsofhalogeek

Fallout 1, 2, tactics,

witcher

bioshock

I guess you're right but the quality games that do get released on Wii are pretty creative actually, not because they are using the Wii-mote but the game itself is pretty unique. I guess you can't be really creative when everything has been done before. Bioshock is basically System Shock 2, I'm guessing Mass Effect is similar to KOTOR while KOTOR is also similar to other WRPG's created before that. And MMORPG's are all-alike, including Age of Conan.

JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JLF1
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Ok well if its not a new ip thing than holy crap the west isn't all that original either.

Everything else wasn't very creative, heck some people call Mario Galaxy creative. AMazing game, but not creative.Makari
how was zack and wiki creative? it was basically like an old-school adventure game on the PC with the wiimote

Then why do you think Bioshock, FNR3, Skate, Sins of the Solar empire and Pirates! are creative? They are basically clones of different games with a twist, the same way Zack and Wiki are.
JLF1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JLF1
[QUOTE="JLF1"]

I disagree with this. The gen may not be pumping out INNOVATORS but its pumping out amazing games. I think this gen is far better than last gen. Last gen was some great games, i loved alot of them. But it never topped PS1/64 for me.

This gen i allready enjoy more than last... Maybe its because recently there has been a good game or couple of good games released every month, where as last gen we had some droughts(for me atleast)

Sorry I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm not disappointed with the quality or the games this gen but the lack of innovation and creativity.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Makari
[QUOTE="Makari"][QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Ok well if its not a new ip thing than holy crap the west isn't all that original either.

Everything else wasn't very creative, heck some people call Mario Galaxy creative. AMazing game, but not creative.JLF1

Then why do you think Bioshock, FNR3, Skate, Sins of the Solar empire and Pirates! are creative? They are basically clones of different games with a twist, the same way Zack and Wiki are.

a short test for me is being able to describe one game in terms of another - i'd say something like uncharted isn't really 'new' because you could describe it as gears of war crossed with tomb raider, and pretty much nail it. stuff like skate... you have to sit and actually describe how the game is different to really describe it at all. what other game was skate similar to for its gameplay? it involved a skateboard, yeah... otherwise it didn't have much in common with any other game of its type. bioshock - i was saying it was creative because of the imagination in the setting and atmosphere - the gameplay itself was pretty blah. sins - again, what other game is it really similar to in gameplay? it's the first time there's been an RTS that managed to 'feel' like a turn-based strategy game, down to the pacing. FNR3 was i think the first time chicago did that odd analog control scheme with the game, right? or was it 2.. i didn't play it much to know, honestly. pirates! was just an oddly collection of button-tapping minigames, though the highlight for me was the ship combat. what other game would you compare it to directly? the only thing that really came to mind was the original Pirates! from like twenty years ago. zack and wiki.. what i'm saying is that it could be a direct transplant of an old adventure game. those things were VERY popular on the pc for most of the 90's, and they even had that flash demo of zack and wiki up on the game's site - it plays just like the old games did, even down to monkey island's somewhat cartoony-cutesy style.