Digital Distribution"TOPIC"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Lucifer007
Member since 2006 • 1132 Posts
TOPIC???
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Lucifer007
We all know htis is the futre but is it really as good as people say it is. You cant rent games, you need a credit card for everything, and if something ahppend to the consoles so companies might have you buy the ame all over agin.  TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK
ironwarrior2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ironwarrior2
Member since 2006 • 2590 Posts
I think they will always have a disc option, like with Warhawk
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 drewtwo99
Member since 2005 • 9156 Posts
I love digital distribution. That's how I bought Half-Life 2 and Command and Conquer 3... so convenient.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hard media is on its way out. Internet speeds are increasing rapidly and soon we will only need large HDD's.

I heart Steam.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lucifer007

[QUOTE="ironwarrior2"]I think they will always hayve a disc option, like with Warhawk[/QUOTE}

mabe for a couple years than software peole wll stopp lossing money to stores adn shipoping, and packing and just make everything download on consolea andpcs whenbroadband speeds get higher 

drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 drewtwo99
Hard media is on its way out. Internet speeds are increasing rapidly and soon we will only need large HDD's.

I heart Steam.
foxhound_fox
EA Link works without a hitch too.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DementedDragon
Member since 2003 • 5095 Posts
The only way Digital Distribution would stay is if we were allowed to make a backup hardcopy; which I don't see happening since everyone is all about 'intellectual property.'  Therefore, physical distribution is the way to go.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lucifer007
There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.limpbizkit818
Five days what fgame can yu beat in fivedays and be done with tahts worth hte time. You need a credit card to buy microsoft points and Im not talking about the prepaid acard
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxhound_fox
The only way Digital Distribution would stay is if we were allowed to make a backup hardcopy; which I don't see happening since everyone is all about 'intellectual property.' Therefore, physical distribution is the way to go.DementedDragon

I can make hardcopies of all the Steam games I have... >_>
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 limpbizkit818
The only way Digital Distribution would stay is if we were allowed to make a backup hardcopy; which I don't see happening since everyone is all about 'intellectual property.' Therefore, physical distribution is the way to go.DementedDragon
But why do you need a backup hard copy?
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 drewtwo99
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.Lucifer007
Five days what fgame can yu beat in fivedays and be done with tahts worth hte time. You need a credit card to buy microsoft points and Im not talking about the prepaid acard

Debit cards can be used just as easily.
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 drewtwo99

[QUOTE="DementedDragon"]The only way Digital Distribution would stay is if we were allowed to make a backup hardcopy; which I don't see happening since everyone is all about 'intellectual property.' Therefore, physical distribution is the way to go.limpbizkit818

But why do you need a backup hard copy?

There is NO need for a backup copy. If you ever need the game again, just download it again. It's that easy. 

DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DementedDragon

But why do you need a backup hard copy?limpbizkit818

In case something bad happens to the system.

Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lucifer007
no I guess they willlet you download it agian like XBL and yuo need a pasword or a account thats login to use the program
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 limpbizkit818
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.Lucifer007

You get 5 days when you rent a game from blockbuster. It would be the same thing. And why not talk about prepaid cards? I downloaded the Oblivion expansion pack without a credit card.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DementedDragon

There is NO need for a backup copy. If you ever need the game again, just download it again. It's that easy. drewtwo99

Well if you purchased the game, they would need to provide a product key or something so you can provide proof of purchase in case something happens.

Or are you talking about renting games?

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 limpbizkit818

[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]But why do you need a backup hard copy?DementedDragon

In case something bad happens to the system.

Why not just download it again? It will be like XBL, your download history is always backed up. I am sure Steam has something like this too.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lucifer007

[QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.drewtwo99

Ok and what happens if your under 18 and cant et a debit card 

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
With HD content availabel why would I ever buy a blu-ray plyer or an HD-DVD player? I can just download everything.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts
But the physical form is so beautiful...
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="drewtwo99"] There is NO need for a backup copy. If you ever need the game again, just download it again. It's that easy. DementedDragon

Well if you purchased the game, they would need to provide a product key or something so you can provide proof of purchase in case something happens.

Or are you talking about renting games?

Why would you need a product key? They have your account information stored, including order history. I imagine they'll implement something like iTunes (you can have this game active on only five PCs at a time), but nothing more than that.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mjarantilla

[QUOTE="drewtwo99"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.Lucifer007

Then you get a prepaid card (if the system allows) or, like every other minor, ask mommy and daddy for $$$.
drewtwo99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 drewtwo99

Lucifer007

Hahaha, then this won't be a concern for you by the time digital distribution becomes the standard anyway.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 foxhound_fox
Ok and what happens if your under 18 and cant et a debit card Lucifer007

Lucifer007: "Hey Mom? You want to buy me this game? I can pay you back."
Mom: "Sure."
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lucifer007
But the physical form is so beautiful...Panzer_Zwei
yeah beautifully breakable
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
[QUOTE="Lucifer007"]

[QUOTE="drewtwo99"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.mjarantilla

Then you get a prepaid card (if the system allows) or, like every other minor, ask mommy and daddy for $$$.

That and many banks offer special accounts for kids. They get debit/check cards and everything. 

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]But the physical form is so beautiful...Lucifer007
yeah beautifully breakable

I've never broken a single game in my 24 years I've been gaming.
DementedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DementedDragon

Why would you need a product key? They have your account information stored, including order history. I imagine they'll implement something like iTunes (you can have this game active on only five PCs at a time), but nothing more than that.mjarantilla

Well as long as they have stored information of the consumers purchase of the product; I suppose digital distribution is a great idea, but I would still prefer a physical copy.  ^_^

Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lucifer007
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"]

[QUOTE="drewtwo99"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.goblaa

That and many banks offer special accounts for kids. They get debit/check cards and everything.

Yeah but most parents like mine would find doing all that bank stuff to much just so their kid can play some games and not sign that form 

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="goblaa"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"]

[QUOTE="drewtwo99"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.Lucifer007

Yeah but most parents like mine would find doing all that bank stuff to much just so their kid can play some games and not sign that form

They wouldn't do it JUST for this. Good God, talk about grasping for straws. If I were a parent, I would set up this kind of bank account for more important expenses to teach my kid some independence.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Panzer_Zwei

but I would still prefer a physical copy. ^_^

DementedDragon
Same, packaging has been an important part of games. I feel gaming would die a little if it went full digital distribution. I really wouldn't keep buying games.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Well, it's quickly taking over pcgaming, but for consoles i don't think it will happen that fast or if everit will overtake retail
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lucifer007
[QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="goblaa"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"]

[QUOTE="drewtwo99"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="limpbizkit818"]There is no down side to it, and I want it now sooner then later. Also you do not need a credit card, look at Microsoft Points. Again with XBL you never need to pay for something twice. Also, why cant you rent games? Pay $5 and you get the download for a five days.mjarantilla

They wouldn't do it JUST for this. Good God, talk about grasping for straws. If I were a parent, I would set up this kind of bank account for more important expenses to teach my kid some independence.

Im not a parent im 16 and I know most kids dont use bank accounts I knwo plenty with evne my self I keep all my money in my wallet or hiding spot because going to the bank and needing a riding and all the sgnatures is just to much to go through unless your over 18 and have a ride 

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mjarantilla
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"][QUOTE="goblaa"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="Lucifer007"]

Im not a parent im 16 and I know most kids dont use bank accounts I knwo plenty with evne my self I keep all my money in my wallet or hiding spot because going to the bank and needing a riding and all the sgnatures is just to much to go through unless your over 18 and have a ride

......... Ok, stop talking now. I'm saving you from yourself. Just stop talking.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lucifer007

whatever

Ok so since games are tkaing up more space on a disc will internet speeds catch up so I dont have to leacve my systme on for several hours 

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 limpbizkit818

whatever

Ok so since games are tkaing up more space on a disc will internet speeds catch up so I dont have to leacve my systme on for several hours

Lucifer007
Well look at what the new 360 update is going to do: you will be able to put the system is to a low power mode while it downloads and when it is done the system shuts off. No worries.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 limpbizkit818
[QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

Panzer_Zwei
Same, packaging has been an important part of games. I feel gaming would die a little if it went full digital distribution. I really wouldn't keep buying games.

I failed to see how it makes a difference. I enjoyed Shivering Isles just as much by downloading as I would if it was on a disk. Why would it stop you from buying a game? If anything its more convenient having every game in one spot, right on the HDD.
Lucifer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lucifer007
how do you know whta the new update does
True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts
1st the net speeds arent increasing that fast...A 30gb movie will take at least a month to download on the average 1mbps line...
2nd The lines double in speed every 1.5-2 years so it will take at least 5 years to get 10mbps in homes...
3rd the download limits will make sure that this will never work...
4th the hdd space will have to get much cheaper...if the 120gb hdd for the new 360 costs 180$ its not helping...
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 limpbizkit818
how do you know whta the new update doesLucifer007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwd00FGpKrU
Ultimate_Peon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Ultimate_Peon
Member since 2003 • 587 Posts
It'll happen in a few generations maybe. The bigger question is what will happen to the game stores that sell the physical copies of games right now. I could see maybe some adapting into just smaller stores based around selling game-related merchandise like shirts and stuffed toys etc. but most would just die off.
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 limpbizkit818
1st the net speeds arent increasing that fast...A 30gb movie will take at least a month to download on the average 1mbps line...
2nd The lines double in speed every 1.5-2 years so it will take at least 5 years to get 10mbps in homes...
3rd the download limits will make sure that this will never work...
4th the hdd space will have to get much cheaper...if the 120gb hdd for the new 360 costs 180$ its not helping...True_Gamer_
We already have over 10MBS in homes (Fios). 720p movies are far from 30 Gb.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Panzer_Zwei
[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

limpbizkit818

I failed to see how it makes a difference. I enjoyed Shivering Isles just as much by downloading as I would if it was on a disk. Why would it stop you from buying a game? If anything its more convenient having every game in one spot, right on the HDD.

Call me antiquated, but I'd stick with physical form. I enjoy the cover, the box, the manual, it's just not the same on a monitor or tv screen. Maybe on the PC side it's not a big issue since they've always lacked in that aspect compared to the Japanese.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
[QUOTE="limpbizkit818"][QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"][QUOTE="DementedDragon"]

Panzer_Zwei

Call me antiquated, but I'd stick with physical form. I enjoy the cover, the box, the manual, it's just not the same on a monitor or tv screen. Maybe on the PC side it's not a big issue since they've always lacked in that aspect compared to the Japanese.

You either have started gaming a year ago or you have never seen PC game box 

jellomeister24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jellomeister24
Member since 2003 • 1321 Posts
"digital distribution" is my primary way of acquiring games right now!! im WAAAY past the disc generation, even on my consoles... (PS2 hard drive IS extremely useful, contrary to popular beilef. :))