Digital Distribution or Actual Copies Which Do You Prefer?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

spidadragon1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 spidadragon1
Member since 2007 • 1844 Posts

Actual Copies hands down

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
Actual Copies, Digital Downloads for shorter games as that would make 'em cheaper (Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, I R LOOKING AT U!)
pieatorium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 pieatorium
Member since 2008 • 1012 Posts
DD for those of us who live places that often get releases very late.
uRan_Ehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 uRan_Ehr
Member since 2007 • 3733 Posts
Actual Copies, I want to COLLECT my bought games and don't want to show them to my friends on my PC/console. Also it would be very difficult to rent a game if you only could download it.
TheRealMC01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheRealMC01
Member since 2007 • 995 Posts

Actual digitally distributed copies.

uRan_Ehr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 uRan_Ehr
Member since 2007 • 3733 Posts
DD for those of us who live places that often get releases very late.pieatorium
Getting games so late is not about being Actual Copies. The PSN regions get different stuff in their stores although most of them already include the languages.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

usually actual copies if it's the same price or lower and DD only if it's much cheaper or i can't find a hard copy

Avatar image for paraskhos_basic
paraskhos_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 paraskhos_basic
Member since 2002 • 1243 Posts

Actual Copies hands down

spidadragon1

me 2 coz the speeds are not very good for digital dist now

mayb after some years when better speeds are offered

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
Hard copies please, I don't mind DD if the hard copy is hard to find. I'd kill for a hard copy of Parasite eve 1-2 that worked...
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts
DD -- The packaging is just worthless.
SupergumXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SupergumXP
Member since 2003 • 189 Posts

I prefer DD by far... keeping all that plastic is a waste of space heh. the only hard copies i buy are collectors additions. Also i have no problems with limited harddrive space etc, i can easily get a 500gb harddrive for less than a $100, and with services like steam you can delete and redownload the games as many times as you want so space isnt really a problem either.

To each his own though... as the topic suggests, this is my preference.

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

In the case of games like Warhawk and Socom Confrontation , I will take the download version. Something about always having those multiplayer games on the xmb ready to go anytime is appealing to me. I don't have to worry about the extremely painstaking process of reaching over an ejecting a disc , pulling out and picking up the disc , reaching and grabing the game's box , then opening the box , then putting the disc in the box , closing the box , then extending my arm to put it away , and then reaching for another box , opening up the box , getting a disc , then putting it in , and then having to put the box down. Way too much work for me ,lol.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts

Actual Copies, I want to COLLECT my bought games and don't want to show them to my friends on my PC/console. Also it would be very difficult to rent a game if you only could download it.uRan_Ehr

Personally, I sell most of my games after finishing them. Never seen the point in making a collection.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

Actual Copies.

Downloads is just good for demos and mini games.

shaggygrosser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 shaggygrosser
Member since 2003 • 5871 Posts
I like collecting the physical discs for games.
PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

Depends on how the DD is handled. If it is DRM free (like SOASE) I'd go for DD over retail in a heartbeat, it's generally cheaper and because I game on a laptop I don't want to lug around a bunch of CDs/DVDs. However as soon as DRM (that is, DRM that goes beyond the retail version's) makes an appearence (like how Steam links games to your account) I won't touch it.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

actual copies for me

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#18 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Digital Distribution for PCs, hard copies for consoles.
naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
Digital Downloads
jangojay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jangojay
Member since 2007 • 4044 Posts
DD. Only games I might buy hard copy is like limited edition metal gear solid games or something. Speaking of which is there going to be one?
shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
i like digital dist. it saves the pain of going to the store for soem big games, and its a little cheeper cus i dont pay for the disk and packaging and shipping and all that
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
i like digital dist. it saves the pain of going to the store for soem big games, and its a little cheeper cus i dont pay for the disk and packaging and shipping and all thatshadow_hosi
Shadow go buy R6V2. Anyway I totally agree, DD is great for the most part. It would inevitably lower game cost because of shipping and packaging.
taker42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 taker42
Member since 2007 • 1614 Posts
DD unless I want to get some special editions. PC boxes these days are crap.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Actual copies so I can resell them when I'm finished with them.
cosmostein77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 102

#25 cosmostein77
Member since 2004 • 7043 Posts

Actual Copies,

No question, I actually want something I can hold in my hands if I am going to shell out the green.

oldvander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 oldvander
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
Physical games. DD is a bad idea. Especially with an increase in game sizes. 50gb would take ages to download, and if the servers aren't good enough, then you're screwed.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
DD unless I want to get some special editions. PC boxes these days are crap.taker42

I hate them lol, my desk is cluttered with these fat plastic boxes and their cardboard shells.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
For new stuff? Hard copy please. But I do like the virtual console for downloading old-school games that you can't easily find hard copies of.
Newsboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29 Newsboy
Member since 2004 • 6534 Posts
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]i like digital dist. it saves the pain of going to the store for soem big games, and its a little cheeper cus i dont pay for the disk and packaging and shipping and all thatVandalvideo
Shadow go buy R6V2. Anyway I totally agree, DD is great for the most part. It would inevitably lower game cost because of shipping and packaging.

Ya right, keep dreaming. The end result of all this for the game makers is you will be paying the same amount for just the data. More money in their pocket, that's why they want to push it. It's retailers like Gamestop and Wal-Mart who are standing in the way of all this and believe me they will have their say.
Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts
Hard copies, what happens if your ard drive gets corrupted and you lose that data? It's not always getting those replaced after all.
Arjdagr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Arjdagr8
Member since 2003 • 3865 Posts
actual copies, i dont like my hard disk constantly being used up. i need it for other things too.
Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts
Oh and let me also add, you can take hard copies places too and not need the same console. =)
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

Digital Distribution lets you create hard copies (legally) from your own machine. For example, you can backup your STEAM games to DVD. Hard copy means you only own the "one copy" of the game, and your license is tied to that disc itself. You cannot duplicate the data, back up the disk, or simultaneously store and play the game.

Ten years from now, if your "hard copy" of Orange Box gets a deep scratch, that's it, game over. If my computer hard drive fries, I can get my backup off my backup drive, DVD, or redownload it from STEAM - I will always own that game, as long as I live.

-

Neither is perfect, but the trend that has happened in music (who buys CDs anymore?) may very well happen with TV and Games.

Matt2556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Matt2556
Member since 2008 • 1211 Posts
Actualy copies. The only games Ive downloaded were Xbox Originals Black and Halo from Xbox Live.
XturnalS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XturnalS
Member since 2004 • 5020 Posts

small games or ANY game on the PC = DD

Any other game = HC

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Ontain
I like the Steam method were i can buy a hard copy and still download it if i want because they record that i purchased it.
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts

Digital Distribution lets you create hard copies (legally) from your own machine. For example, you can backup your STEAM games to DVD. Hard copy means you only own the "one copy" of the game, and your license is tied to that disc itself. You cannot duplicate the data, back up the disk, or simultaneously store and play the game.

Ten years from now, if your "hard copy" of Orange Box gets a deep scratch, that's it, game over. If my computer hard drive fries, I can get my backup off my backup drive, DVD, or redownload it from STEAM - I will always own that game, as long as I live.

-

Neither is perfect, but the trend that has happened in music (who buys CDs anymore?) may very well happen with TV and Games.

subrosian
Wow, you just made me be a 100% DD supporter. I always thought you had to keep it on the HDD. So does that mean friends can borrow it and stuff without a Steam account or what?
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ontain

Wow, you just made me be a 100% DD supporter. I always thought you had to keep it on the HDD. So does that mean friends can borrow it and stuff without a Steam account or what?
wemhim

in order for your friend to borrow it you'd need to give them your account access and they wouldn't be able to play while you're playing. (at least not online)

Lo_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Lo_Rising
Member since 2007 • 930 Posts
i prefer to own the physical media.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="subrosian"]

-

wemhim

Your friend can log into your STEAM account and play your games, if you wanted to share your STEAM account with them. The downside of STEAM is you can't really re-sell your games or give them away - it's a tradeoff to consider. You could bring your games (on a DVD) to your friends computer, install them, and play them, but without your account information they wouldn't be able to play them.

I wouldn't say "buy all your games on STEAM" but for some games it makes sense. With certain games (like Orange Box PC) even if you buy a retail copy you have a STEAM backup of the game. To me, that would be the *ideal* mix - basically, sell the games at retail, but let me redownload them if my disk gets scratched.

The problem right now is only Valve games have that feature.

Insane00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 Insane00
Member since 2003 • 1267 Posts

Actual copies.

Not only is it nice to look at a tall stack of games, but if anything goes awry with the hard drive you don't lose your game.

Granted most companies are pretty cool about it, but it's a lot easier to just grab the disk than to redownload stuff.

I do like the idea of having digital downloads for smaller games I'm less interested in though.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Actual copies. I am a collector at heart, and there is just something so...impersonal about downloading a game to my hardrive.
l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

Actual Copies hands down

spidadragon1

You should have made a poll.

I have never and will never buy a downloaded version of a game. I always buy the disk.

MajinSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MajinSoul
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

Hard copies please, I don't mind DD if the hard copy is hard to find. I'd kill for a hard copy of Parasite eve 1-2 that worked...Jynxzor

So if I gave you a target would you live up to your words? Haha jk

I prefer Hard Copies for my games. Except for PC games.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts

Actual Copies.

Digitial distribution is just... Stupid.

TeamR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TeamR
Member since 2002 • 1817 Posts

I'm not a collector.

I don't want a big ugly stack of video game cases in my nice clean stylish bedroom

I hate looking for disks when I want to play my games

If/When I move again I don't want to drag along 100 video games with me

I don't want anyone to steal my games

I don't want to lend out disks and never get them back

I don't want to dust off disks or not be able to play because one has a scratch

I don't live in the past, I live in the present and look to the future....

...Digital Downloads please

gingerdivid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#47 gingerdivid
Member since 2006 • 7206 Posts

I can't keep a disk without scratching it. (not being able to play Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force FTL)

So, DD for me.

Blommen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blommen
Member since 2003 • 1337 Posts
Actual copies for me. Somethings are better for digital distribiution though like psn and xbla games and the sam&max episodes are fantastic!
wemhim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wemhim
Member since 2005 • 16110 Posts
[QUOTE="wemhim"][QUOTE="subrosian"]

-

subrosian

Your friend can log into your STEAM account and play your games, if you wanted to share your STEAM account with them. The downside of STEAM is you can't really re-sell your games or give them away - it's a tradeoff to consider. You could bring your games (on a DVD) to your friends computer, install them, and play them, but without your account information they wouldn't be able to play them.

I wouldn't say "buy all your games on STEAM" but for some games it makes sense. With certain games (like Orange Box PC) even if you buy a retail copy you have a STEAM backup of the game. To me, that would be the *ideal* mix - basically, sell the games at retail, but let me redownload them if my disk gets scratched.

The problem right now is only Valve games have that feature.

Oh, that's pretty cool. I'm sure by the 20s we should have a kick ass DRM and make them standard.
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts
Actual discs. I don't want to be paying full prices for games and I want to be able to sell games if I please. Plus, when collecting I want something physically there. But when there are rare expensive older games I want them available for download.