Did Titanfall really do anything?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

March came and went and with it came some awesome games. Mainly Titanfall. It scored a 9.0 here and has an average of 86 on metacritic.

Nonetheless Titanfall went on to be the best selling game of March but was swiftly dethroned by Infamous in April being the best selling Next generation game ( Why do people still say that. We're in the generation son).

But did it really set the world on fire like people expected?

Titanfall came and went and so did the clamor around it. It moved an ok number of Xbox Ones in March but still failed to beat the PS4.

And then April came and Titanfall seemed hit a brick wall in moving large amount of XB1s. With sales peaking at 115K

So what is Titanfalls legacy? I've played it and while it's great nonetheless I feel like Respawn missed a golden opportunity making it MP Only. It's loads of fun and should be given a shot. But where does it stand in the history of games? Especially with the MASSIVE amount of hype it had.It seemingly came and went and didn't do much else than have people clamoring for the better half of a year. It certainly didn't set the world on fire and certainly wasn't that knock out AAA the one absolutely needed to move consoles.

So where does it stand to you guys? Is it another game that falls into the ether and have subsequent sequels that sell a million and call it a day? Or does Titanfall find a way to rise above the rest and really make a name for itself?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

My brother played it for me and after five minutes I was so bored out of my mind.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#3 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

It was certainly a thing that happened in March of 2014. Probably its all it ever will be.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

The hype thread was fun.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Animal-Mother

@Willy105 said:

It was certainly a thing that happened in March of 2014. Probably its all it ever will be.

Titanfall it happened in march. It died in march :P

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6  Edited By Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

It's definitely an enjoyable new IP but the sequel needs a single-player campaign.

It's been my go-to online shooter since it was released on the Xbox 360, I don't regret buying it at all.

As far as being a "System Seller", I think it actually was, in March. Without it, I suspect the Xbox One would have had another 100k+ month.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

The way the media sucked it's TITAN you would have thought it was the second coming of gaming.

How they give that game a 9 and not Mario Kart 8 is beyond me.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Animal-Mother

@sts106mat said:

gave me well over a hundred hours of enjoyment, with more to come.

Plus it's also just about the best game as far as control-ability goes.

It really is a well controlling game and the parkour is really solid.

My question is though did it really become this big huge name everyone expected it to be?

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

It did something.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26104 Posts

It was certainly planned to be some sort of killer app for the xbone, but it was flawed from the very beginning. It shouldn't have been made available for PC and 360; two systems people like a lot more than the xbone. Because of this, it lacked the hype and fanboy support that a real exclusive would get.

It didn't need to be a good game to sell, just look at Killzone, a series that sells simply because it's PlayStation exclusive ( and therefore 'special').

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

People suddenly care about singleplayer in a game where MP is the main focus?

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

I' heard from alot of people, some who are journalist of the gaming industry, say that they liked Titanfall and its very engaging but it burns out fast. The guys from EpicBattleAxe described it as being really captivating when your playing it but not a game that keeps calling you back or has you thinking constantly thinking that you want to be playing it when you arent playing it.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Nobody is talking about it anymore. It's just a regular game, nothing special.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@sts106mat said:

gave me well over a hundred hours of enjoyment, with more to come.

Plus it's also just about the best game as far as control-ability goes.

It really is a well controlling game and the parkour is really solid.

My question is though did it really become this big huge name everyone expected it to be?

I dont know, I find it very popular on xbox one, I think the game will continue to do well in sales.

Call of duty, took multiple iterations before it took off big time.

Look at Halo, billion dollar franchise, it didn't happen over night.

The fact that it is difficult to engage with the characters and world is a shame and may hurt it a little. but there is a great game in there and I see it becoming a bigger franchise over the course of this gen.

I would agree with this. I think Respawn did a good job with the game but to take on COD you are going to have to have future games available on Sony platforms.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

that game is good, but it has no lasting appeal. i thought the hype was real and even got an xbox 1 as a result but i played it for about a week and it didnt do anything for me.

i think i just dont like big maps and vehicle based fps. everything is fun until everyone is on their titans, then it gets really boring once titans become a factor esp in open maps.

wish there was a sp campaign but i dont think it wouldve made much of a difference because the mp isnt great

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14419 Posts

What's Titanfall? I don't remember it.

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

called this on release day it's a boring noob game

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

It made a lot of people laugh at lemming naivety.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

I really liked the game at first. When I played the beta and the first week I was hooked. Gameplay has a really nice balance to it. And it's very rewarding.

But the fixes for this game came to late, some maps lagged and made the game unplayable and I stopped playing and began waiting... and waiting...

Then they announced DLC. And I wondered, same with games as Battlefield 4, why on earth do these developers work on extra content instead of fixing their games first ?

Then the DLC came and removed game modes from the game. I don't think I'll be returning to this game.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Infamous came and went too. I dont see anyone talking about that anymore. Guess what? The hype around most games dies once they actually come out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

The way the media sucked it's TITAN you would have thought it was the second coming of gaming.

How they give that game a 9 and not Mario Kart 8 is beyond me.

Its simply a super fun take on the CoD style shooter, what more do you want from it?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

@sts106mat said:

I dont know, I find it very popular on xbox one, I think the game will continue to do well in sales.

Call of duty, took multiple iterations before it took off big time.

Look at Halo, billion dollar franchise, it didn't happen over night.

The fact that it is difficult to engage with the characters and world is a shame and may hurt it a little. but there is a great game in there and I see it becoming a bigger franchise over the course of this gen.

That's a good point you make there.

Call of Duty 1 was already well known, especially among the PC crowd.

Than call of Duty 2 launched and it became even more popular, because it launched on 360 as well.

But it's insane popularity only began with COD 4.

Same with GTA. GTA III was the first one many people played, and only with GTA: SA did it became massively popular.

Another example is Assassin's Creed.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#26  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

Got pissed off at the game, at the reviewers. Didn't work well with my connection (fiber). Game sucked on PC (not even a server browser). Yes I didn't research it, but hey everyone was so optimistic. It took my money and ran away. I uninstalled it in a matter of days.

Tribes: Ascend was a way better game. More options, works better, gameplay is more thought out, the maps are better, the weapons more varied, the gameplay is faster and your range of movement more free. For some reason I kept thinking about that, now I play Tribes: Ascend again.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CyberLips

@mems_1224 said:

Infamous came and went too. I dont see anyone talking about that anymore. Guess what? The hype around most games dies once they actually come out.

I remember when Skyrim came out, everyone was talking about it. There were videos on GameSpot almost every day, they still make videos about it.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

Selling millions for a new IP is all of a sudden no big deal?

Played the hell out of the game, can't wait to play the new maps.

When the sequel comes out Sony Fan will be saying how great it is.

Infamous is a game no one talks about still or plays ;p

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

March came and went and with it came some awesome games. Mainly Titanfall. It scored a 9.0 here and has an average of 86 on metacritic.

Nonetheless Titanfall went on to be the best selling game of March but was swiftly dethroned by Infamous in April being the best selling Next generation game ( Why do people still say that. We're in the generation son).

But did it really set the world on fire like people expected?

Titanfall came and went and so did the clamor around it. It moved an ok number of Xbox Ones in March but still failed to beat the PS4.

And then April came and Titanfall seemed hit a brick wall in moving large amount of XB1s. With sales peaking at 115K

So what is Titanfalls legacy? I've played it and while it's great nonetheless I feel like Respawn missed a golden opportunity making it MP Only. It's loads of fun and should be given a shot. But where does it stand in the history of games? Especially with the MASSIVE amount of hype it had.It seemingly came and went and didn't do much else than have people clamoring for the better half of a year. It certainly didn't set the world on fire and certainly wasn't that knock out AAA the one absolutely needed to move consoles.

So where does it stand to you guys? Is it another game that falls into the ether and have subsequent sequels that sell a million and call it a day? Or does Titanfall find a way to rise above the rest and really make a name for itself?

Titanfall sold more than I:SS across all it's platforms. What has it's impact been? Then next CoD will have jet packs and will mimicking TitanFall pilot movements. True, it has not been the system seller I and others thought it would be, but it has sold over a million - and is currently outselling I:SS on Amazon.com and in the UK.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CyberLips

Why is everyone talking about Infamous? Desperate much?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@CyberLips said:

@mems_1224 said:

I remember when Skyrim came out, everyone was talking about it. There were videos on GameSpot almost every day, they still make videos about it.

Skyrim is moddable and has tons of replay value. Not every game can be the game of the generation like Skyrim.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34668 Posts

@RoccoHout said:

People suddenly care about singleplayer in a game where MP is the main focus?

Exactly. Wtf? I doubt Titanfall would be better if there was a half-assed single-player thrown in there in a game meant to be multi-player.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

It was what it was. Even if it released on my console of choice I wouldn't have been interested.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

It entertained me for a little under a week.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts

it got old quick does that count? not gonna lie, i bought an x1 partially for this game, i was positive it was going to be my go to shooter as i love old IWs work but i reached level 44 and said piss on it. not sure what it is, i just can't be bothered to play it.

sibu_xgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sibu_xgamer
Member since 2014 • 340 Posts

It showed once again that artificial manufactured hype can lure a lot of suckers into buying COD wannabe rehashed lameness.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@Nengo_Flow said:

I' heard from alot of people, some who are journalist of the gaming industry, say that they liked Titanfall and its very engaging but it burns out fast. The guys from EpicBattleAxe described it as being really captivating when your playing it but not a game that keeps calling you back or has you thinking constantly thinking that you want to be playing it when you arent playing it.

it had me like that upto about 100 hours. I've played it enough right now, 100 hours online only is ridiculous for me, i never get near that with 99% of games.

I still play the odd game here and there, they need to add some new modes and stuff to grab my attention back.

Ok.

Thanx for charging I guess....

But the guys at EpicBattleAxe said that before the new DLC, one guy said he was gonna get the DLC cuz it was the only X1 game he plays with his friends, the other said he wasnt all that interested in continuing playing the game for any longer.

At work their are these two kids who have X1s, one of them is a COD addict and said he hated Titanfall, the other said it was a cool game but not a great game.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

@CyberLips said:

Why is everyone talking about Infamous? Desperate much?

It's obvious.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

It introduced a new IP. Thats about all.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts

They made a fun FPS that punishes campers. When was that last time we had FPS with almost no campers?

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

the best part about titanfall is the movement and hunting down titans. i only really like trying to take titans down, if they can make a playlist like pilot vs titans or something than i will play it a lot more. also the maps are too big and i hate the bots

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Dire_Weasel said:

It's definitely an enjoyable new IP but the sequel needs a single-player campaign.

It's been my go-to online shooter since it was released on the Xbox 360, I don't regret buying it at all.

As far as being a "System Seller", I think it actually was, in March. Without it, I suspect the Xbox One would have had another 100k+ month.

Yeah, I think it was rushed to market. I think part of the long lasting appeal, whether people like to believe i or not, is the lore behind the universe. It gives grounds to what is actually happening even if it doesn't matter.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

It was a fun game, and I prefer it's multiplayer only focus. Just like some games don't need a tacked on mp, some games don't need need a tacked on sp.

Personally it found ways to take existing gameplay ideas and feel distinct from the rest of the online mp games on the market. The revolution the genre is in desperate need of? no. But a prime example to Dice, Activision, and Bungie's tribute band(343) that you can make a game feel different and stand out without reinventing the wheel. That should be the game's legacy in the grand scheme of the FPS. Beyond that it's a good mp shooter with a decent skill ceiling. It's far from great or anything exceptional in the genre. While the lack of a campaign isn't an issue, the lack of mp options early on were. It had 5 gameplay modes, and 3 of them were deathmatch varients. After that you have ctf and Hardpoint, which is basically territories.

It's E3 popularity speaks more to the type of demos that are at E3. SP games show flashy dumb tutorial styled shit, and Titanfall was just the game proper. It was instantly fun when you picked it up, thus it stood out at E3. A more slow burn experience isn't going to stick out beyond it's presentation.

As for it's internet/media legacy: popular game from E3, that didn't wasn't the "killer app" for the Xbox One, and was way better on PC.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

It proved to publishers everywhere that the XBone is not the gold mine that the 360 was for them.

kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 kitty  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 115430 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Pretty much this. The only time I hear anything about most of these games is on this board actually.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#46 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

It proved to publishers everywhere that the XBone is not the gold mine that the 360 was for them.

Also potentially a big story line coming out of it.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Came and gone? Still the Number 1 selling game in America 2 months running, All platforms though.

Still top 3 every week in the UK. Since launch.

Sold possible millions of $449-$499 X1's following and leading up to release. Showing no signs of slowing. YET.

With a $399 X1 sku in coming and the possible Fence dwellers. The game will have legs for a time to come.

It is a flash in the Pan...really?

Sales charts indications blow a big hole in this argument.

Hyperbole at its finest.

I'll give you a 2/10 troll effort. Thanks for playing.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

It sold millions and people are still playing it....that's without any main story. What more do you want? Did you expect it to change the world? It's a game.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Shewgenja said:

Also potentially a big story line coming out of it.

EA didn't even wait for March to end before sitting MS down at a table and negotiating exclusivity away. No one seems to want to talk about that. Not even the gaming media. I think it's pretty fucked up, personally.