Did Gears of war 2 ruin the hype for Gears of war 3? The worst sequel ever.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RedRiver122
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Regardless of bugs (Props to Epic for managing to make this type of game in a year), Gears of war 1 had fantastic game play, graphics and story. Gears of war 2 desecrated this with a dumb story, slowed down the game play so it seems you got a bolder on your back and the graphics over all weren't exactly the best. And it still had bugs, even if it did have a small amount of development time over its previous game. Epic made just a couple changes and made one of the best AAAE games one of the worst, if not the worst. Now Gears of war 3 has a lot on its shoulders, though I think the beta (which was pure epic) redeemed Epic a bit. What's your opinion?
Avatar image for FoolwithaLancer
FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 FoolwithaLancer
Member since 2011 • 2020 Posts

The worst Sequal ever was Duke Nukem Forever, if you'd even call it that

And Gears 3 is hyped plenty....

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

My opinion is that Gears 2 isn't the worst sequel ever...

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
What's your opinion? RedRiver122
My opinion is that Gears 2 was a great game and that all of your points are wrong.
RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 RedRiver122

The worst Sequal ever was Duke Nukem Forever, if you'd even call it that

And Gears 3 is hyped plenty....

FoolwithaLancer
Off game spot it's not getting the praise it deserves, at all... Especially for what Epic has managed to do, they've more then redeemed my faith in the franchise. And after Gears 2, I thought I would laugh at buying the next. Though I agree, D.N.F was terrible. But not by the same developers.
RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RedRiver122
[QUOTE="RedRiver122"]What's your opinion? nethernova
My opinion is that Gears 2 was a great game and that all of your points are wrong.

So it didn't dumb down the story with Maria? Seriously, I want Dom to die. The slow movement and over all, the graphics weren't polished at all. I've seen floating objects.
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Gears 3 will redeem Epic. Gears 1 was great, 2 had a better campaign, but the multiplayer was horrible because of connection issues, two piecing, and the fact that each update would fix one thing and break a million others. But the Gears 3 beta was amazing, fixed every issue Gears 2 had, and improved upon the game tenfold, and I now find it almost impossible to play a game without dedicated servers now, all game should have them or not bother with online multiplayer.
RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RedRiver122
Gears 3 will redeem Epic. Gears 1 was great, 2 had a better campaign, but the multiplayer was horrible because of connection issues, two piecing, and the fact that each update would fix one thing and break a million others. But the Gears 3 beta was amazing, fixed every issue Gears 2 had, and improved upon the game tenfold, and I now find it almost impossible to play a game without dedicated servers now, all game should have them or not bother with online multiplayer.spike6958
Epic is probably going to pull a 10 out of there pocket or the fabled AAAAE. It's possible, seeing even the minor issues the beta had they all fixed.
AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AkimboBFGNinja
Member since 2011 • 205 Posts

Regardless of bugs (Props to Epic for managing to make this type of game in a year), Gears of war 1 had fantastic game play, graphics and story. Gears of war 2 desecrated this with a dumb story, slowed down the game play so it seems you got a bolder on your back and the graphics over all weren't exactly the best. And it still had bugs, even if it did have a small amount of development time over its previous game. Epic made just a couple changes and made one of the best AAAE games one of the worst, if not the worst. Now Gears of war 3 has a lot on its shoulders, though I think the beta (which was pure epic) redeemed Epic a bit. What's your opinion? RedRiver122

sigh.....really can you troll somewhere else please.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Gears 2 wasn't that great, shouldn't take much for Gears 3 to beat it.
Ironbash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ironbash
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts
That went to Dragon age 2 a long time ago
RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 RedRiver122

[QUOTE="RedRiver122"]Regardless of bugs (Props to Epic for managing to make this type of game in a year), Gears of war 1 had fantastic game play, graphics and story. Gears of war 2 desecrated this with a dumb story, slowed down the game play so it seems you got a bolder on your back and the graphics over all weren't exactly the best. And it still had bugs, even if it did have a small amount of development time over its previous game. Epic made just a couple changes and made one of the best AAAE games one of the worst, if not the worst. Now Gears of war 3 has a lot on its shoulders, though I think the beta (which was pure epic) redeemed Epic a bit. What's your opinion? AkimboBFGNinja

Seriously, I can show you proof I own the game. I stated Gears 1 was superior, I didn't state Uncharted was "teh best gamez evar".
AkimboBFGNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AkimboBFGNinja
Member since 2011 • 205 Posts

[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

[QUOTE="RedRiver122"]Regardless of bugs (Props to Epic for managing to make this type of game in a year), Gears of war 1 had fantastic game play, graphics and story. Gears of war 2 desecrated this with a dumb story, slowed down the game play so it seems you got a bolder on your back and the graphics over all weren't exactly the best. And it still had bugs, even if it did have a small amount of development time over its previous game. Epic made just a couple changes and made one of the best AAAE games one of the worst, if not the worst. Now Gears of war 3 has a lot on its shoulders, though I think the beta (which was pure epic) redeemed Epic a bit. What's your opinion? RedRiver122

Seriously, I can show you proof I own the game. I stated Gears 1 was superior, I didn't state Uncharted was "teh best gamez evar".

First you say "Gears of war 1 had fantastic gameplay, graphics and story" then you fail and say Gears 2 desecrated this with a dumb story (which was better than the first and more developed and yet somehow its dumb) and then say the graphics werent the best when Gears 2 looks better than gears 1 by a big difference. yeah sure your not trolling. Im sorry troll no one here will pay your toll.

RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RedRiver122

[QUOTE="RedRiver122"][QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

AkimboBFGNinja

First you say "Gears of war 1 had fantastic gameplay, graphics and story" then you fail and say Gears 2 desecrated this with a dumb story (which was better than the first and more developed and yet somehow its dumb) and then say the graphics werent the best when Gears 2 looks better than gears 1 by a big difference. yeah sure your not trolling. Im sorry troll no one here will pay your toll.

"(which was better than the first and more developed and yet somehow its dumb)" Actually, Gears of war 1 had a fantastic atmosphere and back story. It didn't take itself seriously but nor did it make a joke out of its self. It was the ideal story for Epic. But they went along and ruined it all with Gears of failure 2. Dom' searching for his wife was so forced I felt like shooting myself instead when finally finding her. And the graphics aren't near as polished as the leap from Gears 2 - 3. Seriously, the textures aren't near as good as they should be in Gears 2 compared to what they could have been.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

Gears 2 was an awesome game. Even if we we're still living in the month before the multiplayer fix, it was still an amazing game.

Edit: ...Dumb down the story?

ElvesOnEcstasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElvesOnEcstasy

What's your opinion? RedRiver122

That Gears of War 2 isn't the worst sequel ever.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

LoL @ calling Gears2 worst sequel ever

There are so many other sequels that were actually made games and a slap in teh face to previous games in the series.

I had good fun with Gears2, the campaign was better then the first imo and the new Horde mode was fantastic, only bad thing was the server issues imo, which made the online not as good as gears1.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#18 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Gears 2 wasn't as good as the first. I didn't like the campaign as much, didn't touch the multiplayer, but I loved Horde mode. It was still awesome.

The worst sequel ever actually doesn't exist :P That's how bad it was.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

level 1 -__-

but Gears 2 had the worst multiplayer ever...

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="RedRiver122"]Regardless of bugs (Props to Epic for managing to make this type of game in a year), Gears of war 1 had fantastic game play, graphics and story. Gears of war 2 desecrated this with a dumb story, slowed down the game play so it seems you got a bolder on your back and the graphics over all weren't exactly the best. And it still had bugs, even if it did have a small amount of development time over its previous game. Epic made just a couple changes and made one of the best AAAE games one of the worst, if not the worst. Now Gears of war 3 has a lot on its shoulders, though I think the beta (which was pure epic) redeemed Epic a bit. What's your opinion? AkimboBFGNinja

I was thinking the same.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts
[QUOTE="AkimboBFGNinja"]

[QUOTE="RedRiver122"]Regardless of bugs (Props to Epic for managing to make this type of game in a year), Gears of war 1 had fantastic game play, graphics and story. Gears of war 2 desecrated this with a dumb story, slowed down the game play so it seems you got a bolder on your back and the graphics over all weren't exactly the best. And it still had bugs, even if it did have a small amount of development time over its previous game. Epic made just a couple changes and made one of the best AAAE games one of the worst, if not the worst. Now Gears of war 3 has a lot on its shoulders, though I think the beta (which was pure epic) redeemed Epic a bit. What's your opinion? CanYouDiglt

I was thinking the same.

Ditto
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="nethernova"][QUOTE="RedRiver122"]What's your opinion? RedRiver122

So it didn't dumb down the story with Maria? Seriously, I want Dom to die. The slow movement and over all, the graphics weren't polished at all. I've seen floating objects.

how is that dumbed down? do you even know what dumbed down means?
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#23 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

*sigh*

You really had to make a new accout for this? REALLY?

Ok I guess I'll put on "another one bites the dust" as I explain things to you.

Gears 2 did have some messed up online, yes. But the overall game was still pretty enjoyable to it's fans. Personally I think Gears is OK, I'm not a huge fan of it but it's definately a good game overall. And Gears 3 is getting dedicated servers which will fix the online issues of the game, and the beta seemed to be pretty smooth too. Yes it was a little glitchy and buggy but guess what? That's because it was a BETA, it's basically a DEMO. The game will be fine.

Gears 3 has alot of hype and I'm sure it will make it's fans happy.

RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RedRiver122

*sigh*

You really had to make a new accout for this? REALLY?

Ok I guess I'll put on "another one bites the dust" as I explain things to you.

Gears 2 did have some messed up online, yes. But the overall game was still pretty enjoyable to it's fans. Personally I think Gears is OK, I'm not a huge fan of it but it's definately a good game overall. And Gears 3 is getting dedicated servers which will fix the online issues of the game, and the beta seemed to be pretty smooth too. Yes it was a little glitchy and buggy but guess what? That's because it was a BETA, it's basically a DEMO. The game will be fine.

Gears 3 has alot of hype and I'm sure it will make it's fans happy.

ShadowMoses900
What are you talking about, I never said it was glitch' or buggy. It's the most polished beta I've ever played, more polished then most complete games.
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#25 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

Gears 2 is actually a great game.

Diviniuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#26 Diviniuz
Member since 2009 • 6460 Posts
seriously gamespot, what is with all these lvl 1 making gears of war 3 threads, its getting completely out of hand. Every day gears of war 3 lvl 1 threads by different brand new users, claiming the game isn't hyped enough. Its the same thing, over and over and over again
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

I honestly liked Gears 2 just as much as the first one and I'm definitely hyped a bit for Gears 3.

RedRiver122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RedRiver122

I honestly liked Gears 2 just as much as the first one and I'm definitely hyped a bit for Gears 3.

travisstaggs
No, just no. Gears of war 1 was a classic. Gears of war 2 was average.
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#30 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

seriously gamespot, what is with all these lvl 1 making gears of war 3 threads, its getting completely out of hand. Every day gears of war 3 lvl 1 threads by different brand new users, claiming the game isn't hyped enough. Its the same thing, over and over and over againDiviniuz

I noticed all this too, pretty strange.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Some lucky guy never played Farcry 2.
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#32 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

Wanna know my opinion?

Gears 2 is an awesome sequel and overall game.

This thread may be the worst thread ever.

Darth-Samus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33 Darth-Samus
Member since 2006 • 3995 Posts

I love Gears of War 2.

WarTornRuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 WarTornRuston
Member since 2011 • 2712 Posts

If you think Gears 2 is the worst sequal ever you have not played many games.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
gears 2 was better then gears 1 imo
johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

i doubt many people thought gears 2 was that bad, saying the sp inG1is better is crazy imo

G3 is my mostanticipated game right now

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
Gears 2 is a great game sure the story is not that good honesty I didn't find gears 1s story that great either and gears 2 added a lot of new things to the game and alot of games in general like making games like horde popular
Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts

This thread is pretty trolly but I'll post anyway cuz a lot of people do seem to think Gears 2 was worse than the first, which imo is an absolutely crazy viewpoint. I thought Gears 2 was better in just about every way....gameplay its pretty much the same (aka excellent) so I don't see a problem there. Graphically there are much larger scale fights in Gears 2, and I've never encountered a large number of bugs playing it. And story? It's been pretty weak from the start, which doesn't bother me too much as long as I get to shoot things in my shooters.

edit: Talking about sp here, I didn't like Gears 1 or 2 mp, not my style. Horde mode is an absolute blast though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I agree that the story in Gears 2 was absolutely terrible (the first games story wasn't good either but it wasn't a train wreck)

However there are worse sequels: Duke Nukem forever, Masters of orion 3, Deus ex 2 (good game but so much worse than the original)

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

Don't know if you're serious or not...

I mean, really, if you think Gears 2 is the worst sequel ever then you clearly haven't played many sequels.

Avatar image for hgjhgdfgbfdgfds
hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hgjhgdfgbfdgfds
Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.
hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hgjhgdfgbfdgfds
Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.hgjhgdfgbfdgfds
killzone1=no jump button like gears of war. killzone2=added a jump button changed gameplay alot improved it. hmmm? looks like epicgames is afraid of change and gaming community.
FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FoolwithaLancer

Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Why would 400+ pound Marines wearing 100 pound armor and Carrying 150+ pound weapons have the ability to Jump?

hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

[QUOTE="hgjhgdfgbfdgfds"]Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.FoolwithaLancer

Why would 400+ pound Marines wearing 100 pound armor and Carrying 150+ pound weapons have the ability to Jump?

gears of war is going for realism? since when?
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

[QUOTE="hgjhgdfgbfdgfds"]Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.hgjhgdfgbfdgfds
killzone1=no jump button like gears of war. killzone2=added a jump button changed gameplay alot improved it. hmmm? looks like epicgames is afraid of change and gaming community.

Just based on the type of gameplay of Gears of War, a jump button would add nothing but "bunny hoppers" to multiplayer. Try again.

hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hgjhgdfgbfdgfds
it's about making the gameplay more fun a jump button would make traversing levels better or gameplay more frantic which=more fun.
FoolwithaLancer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FoolwithaLancer

[QUOTE="FoolwithaLancer"]

[QUOTE="hgjhgdfgbfdgfds"]Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

They're not floating that fart Bananas, Epics going to include some realism in the game, I'e No jump button. A jump button in Gears wouldn't even work right....

hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

[QUOTE="hgjhgdfgbfdgfds"][QUOTE="hgjhgdfgbfdgfds"]Basically same core gameplay in all 3 games, very little improvements a jump button would of changed gameplay alot in sequel.Puckhog04

Just based on the type of gameplay of Gears of War, a jump button would add nothing but "bunny hoppers" to multiplayer. Try again.

you cant bunnyhop in any fps except quake try again.
hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hgjhgdfgbfdgfds

[QUOTE="hgjhgdfgbfdgfds"][QUOTE="FoolwithaLancer"]

FoolwithaLancer

They're not floating that fart Bananas, Epics going to include some realism in the game, I'e No jump button. A jump button in Gears wouldn't even work right....

it's about making the gameplay more fun a jump button would make traversing levels better or gameplay more frantic which=more fun.