Did FF11 ruin FF series ?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Could the huge decline in FF13 be a result of Suqare spending so much time and money on their online world ?

I am starting to believe that this is the major reason FF has seen such a huge decline

What do you think ?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

nope a seperate team handles the MMO entries.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

Since the series went on the Xbox 360, it is ruined.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

It probably has more to do with SE being mismanaged and green-lighting terrible ideas in house.

loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

razgriz_101

Secret or not, they would take both man power, talent and funds from the main FFs

It is not strange that way that have spent 6+ years on FF13vs and cant even come close to finishing it yet

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

GamerwillzPS

being brutally honest last good entry was 10.

12 was nout special.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

loosingENDS

Secret or not, they would take both man power, talent and funds from the main FFs

It is not strange that way that have spent 6+ years on FF13vs and cant even come close to finishing it yet

No, no, no, no, it's not all of that. It's the Xbox 360 that ruined it.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Wiimotefan

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

razgriz_101

12 was nout special.

Not special, but still pretty damn good.

I agree though, SE has been going down hill for years. Its been a gradual decline, but this gen they started flooring it. I wish it were as simple as "derP, THE Xbox", but obviously its not lol.

GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GamerwillzPS

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

Wiimotefan

12 was nout special.

I agree though, SE has been going down hill for years. Its been a gradual decline, but this gen they started flooring it. I wish it were as simple as "derP, THE Xbox", but obviously its not lol.

Shh shh! I'm trolling the TC.

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Wiimotefan

[QUOTE="Wiimotefan"]

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

12 was nout special.

GamerwillzPS

Shh shh! I'm trolling the TC.

:lol:

No. Maybe you thought you were, but Loosey trolls YOU.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
What are you talking about? it was a good success.
Supertornado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Supertornado
Member since 2012 • 67 Posts

Nope

FF7 ruined the series

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Nope

FF7 ruined the series

Supertornado
By being it's biggest success and being its most iconic game? :roll:
Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Most people would say it's to do with the SE merger that lead to the downfall of the FF franchise. That and most of the major talent has left Square and now we've got Toriyama writing terrible plots.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23737 Posts

Most people would say it's to do with the SE merger that lead to the downfall of the FF franchise. That and most of the major talent has left Square and now we've got Toriyama writing terrible plots.

Crossel777

The SE merger was circumstance. Enix had not direct influence on Square. It just happened to be around the time Square started making weird choices, but the merger is not to blame.

I think the fallout with Sakaguchi had a good deal to do with their change in direction. As well as other major talent like you said.

JLF1MarkII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JLF1MarkII
Member since 2012 • 1416 Posts

No, incompetent management and devs not being able to cope with modern technology is the problem.

FF11 was good, FFXIV was an insult.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
No but i think Star Wars Kinect was amazing, what do you think?!
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 spinecaton
Member since 2003 • 8986 Posts

I take it you never played FF11... or atleast didn't play it long enough to get through any of the stories in the expansions. The stories felt more classic FF compared to any of the "golden era" games from FF. If you ask me what killed the FF series it would be the need to try and bring sci-fi into it. Square needs to make another Final Fantasy game, this time with more Fantasy and less sci-fi.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

I take it you never played FF11... or atleast didn't play it long enough to get through any of the stories in the expansions. The stories felt more classic FF compared to any of the "golden era" games from FF. If you ask me what killed the FF series it would be the need to try and bring sci-fi into it. Square needs to make another Final Fantasy game, this time with more Fantasy and less sci-fi.

spinecaton
Only 8 was even remotly sci fi.... on and maybe 12.
MikeMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 MikeMoose
Member since 2005 • 3079 Posts

Nope

FF7 ruined the series

Supertornado

Funny guy.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#21 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

[QUOTE="Crossel777"]

ConanTheStoner

The SE merger was circumstance. Enix had not direct influence on Square. It just happened to be around the time Square started making weird choices, but the merger is not to blame.

I think the fallout with Sakaguchi had a good deal to do with their change in direction. As well as other major talent like you said.

It's a little funny, actually: Enix were the ones hesitating in merging with them after Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within ended up being both a lousy film and a box-office failure.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

MBirdy88

7, 8, 10, and 13 all had major sci-fi elements in them. Mostly future technology, the cities in these games screamed science fiction. Maybe you have a different idea of what science fiction is.

Personally I think FF has done best with fantasy/steampunk setting, but that is my personal opinion.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

7, 8, 10, and 13 all had major sci-fi elements in them. Mostly future technology, the cities in these games screamed science fiction. Maybe you have a different idea of what science fiction is.

Most of them had a blend of old and new... not a complete focus on sci fi in any shape or form.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Only 8 was even remotly sci fi.... on and maybe 12.MBirdy88

Most of them had a blend of old and new... not a complete focus on sci fi in any shape or form.

Then you and I have a different idea of what sci-fi can include. Futuristic cities, vehicles, and weapons is enough to be considered sci-fi to me. If it isn't sci-fi then what is it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"][QUOTE="spinecaton"]

spinecaton

Then you and I have a different idea of what sci-fi can include. Futuristic cities, vehicles, and weapons is enough to be considered sci-fi to me. If it isn't sci-fi then what is it?

It has elements of fantasy, do they not exist purely because there are sci fi elements in there? Do we call world of warcraft sci-fi for having the occasional sci fi theme? no. its fantasy. do airships in the original FF games class as sci fi because its pretty much steam punk? Sci-fi did nothing bad to the FF franchise. infact, FF1-5 were very bland theme'd games.
spinecaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 spinecaton

[QUOTE="spinecaton"]

[QUOTE="MBirdy88"] Most of them had a blend of old and new... not a complete focus on sci fi in any shape or form.MBirdy88

It has elements of fantasy, do they not exist purely because there are sci fi elements in there? Do we call world of warcraft sci-fi for having the occasional sci fi theme? no. its fantasy. do airships in the original FF games class as sci fi because its pretty much steam punk? Sci-fi did nothing bad to the FF franchise. infact, FF1-5 were very bland theme'd games.

You are over simplifying what I am saying, just being the original series had airships doesn't make it sci-fi because the setting of the game was fantasy. The settings of 7, 8, 10, and 13 are all science fiction. Now I will admit the FF10 can go either way depending on how you look at it.

I never said it didn't have fantasy, it was merely stated that it was bringing sci-fi into the series. All I said was that the games I listed had strong sci-fi elements, and you never answered my question of if you don't call it sci-fi then what is it?

Edit: BTW I'm done after this, I know people have different opinions on what games they thought was good. It was my personal opinion on what I thought brought FF games down some, I would like to see another fantasy setting in a new Final Fantasy game but I probably won't get one.

Junsei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Junsei
Member since 2004 • 723 Posts
hmm dude this might be a shocker to you but FFXI is the most profitable final fantasy game. why do you think its still active. of course ill put more money into a game in which half a million players is paying $12.95 a month and is willing and asking for more content. dont blame a mmo that actually uses the final fantasy name very well to a game that was so different that the only thing that was "final fantasy" was the title.
Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#28 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

Every game before Final Fantasy XIII was ruining the series. XIII saved it.

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

No. I don't feel like any of the games have ruined the series. If anything I would say all the pre VI titles are worse than the current ones.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#30 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

loosingENDS

Don´t worry about the funds part loosey,FFXI is the most profitable FF ever,so no wonder they´ll want to keep making those.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="GamerwillzPS"]

razgriz_101

12 was nout special.

this 12 wasnt good.. x is the best ff
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#32 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

I would say yes. MMO's are not good games, I don't even consider them to be games.

I have played every FF except 11, and I don't need to, I can already tell how bad it was. 12 was still a pretty decent game though, but 13 is one of the worst games this gen.

The only thing I'm looking forward to from Square Enix regarding FF is FFX HD. It is coming next year for PS3 and it will have trophies and some new content in it as well. I don't think it's exclusive to PS3 either, it might come to 360 as well. Hope it does so more people can play it, which IMO, X was the last great FF game.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50712 Posts

Could the huge decline in FF13 be a result of Suqare spending so much time and money on their online world ?

I am starting to believe that this is the major reason FF has seen such a huge decline

What do you think ?

loosingENDS
No dumbass.
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chutebox  Online

I would say yes. MMO's are not good games, I don't even consider them to be games.

I have played every FF except 11, and I don't need to, I can already tell how bad it was. 12 was still a pretty decent game though, but 13 is one of the worst games this gen.

The only thing I'm looking forward to from Square Enix regarding FF is FFX HD. It is coming next year for PS3 and it will have trophies and some new content in it as well. I don't think it's exclusive to PS3 either, it might come to 360 as well. Hope it does so more people can play it, which IMO, X was the last great FF game.

ShadowMoses900

Nobody cares what you consider a game or not.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
No. FFXI was great entry into the series and a damn good MMO.
rockydog1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#36 rockydog1111
Member since 2006 • 2079 Posts

Personally I think XII ruined the series. I know some people love it, but it was just missing something that actually made me care about the characters. X was the last great Final Fantasy IMO.

Off topic but I wish MS and Mistwalker would make a Lost Odyssey 2. I think that Lost Odyssey is the true Final Fantasy successor.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]No. FFXI was great entry into the series and a damn good MMO.

Still playing it now! I think it's a much better game than it was, especially since you really don't need to grind exp anymore and no more stupid camping HNM for hours and hours.
a92fernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 a92fernandez
Member since 2012 • 124 Posts

You guys are idiots, what ruined the series was that stupid Spirits Within movie failure, which caused their talent, Sakaguchi, to leave the company in shame and anger...

a92fernandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 a92fernandez
Member since 2012 • 124 Posts

Things just suck when their original creator isn't in some way associated, just look at how Inafune's influenece is absent in recent Capcom games and it SHOWS!

Ahhh, Japanese Video Game industry has much richer politics..

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

FF11 has been very successful for Square. It's continously pumping money into their accounts is one of the reasons why they've been able to afford some more niche RPGs in recent years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#41 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
No.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

What do you think ?

loosingENDS

nop, ff xiii had huge budget, you could see it if you actually played the game, it was bad design choises that damaged the game

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

nope, it had little to no impact on the series same for XIV. not enough of the fanbase care about mmo for it to have an impact.

I don't think the series is ruined for me, it will take more than a horrible game ( ffXIII) to ruin the entire serie

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts
[QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]No. FFXI was great entry into the series and a damn good MMO.

Still playing it now! I think it's a much better game than it was, especially since you really don't need to grind exp anymore and no more stupid camping HNM for hours and hours.

My friend and I used to play it back in the day and we're considering getting back into to it just to see how it's changed. I actually picked up the 360 version a while ago just for the sheer novelty of playing it on the 360 but never got around to it.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44723 Posts
no, Persona 3 & 4 ruined the Final Fantasy series for me
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Chutebox  Online
[QUOTE="AcidSoldner"][QUOTE="Chutebox"][QUOTE="AcidSoldner"]No. FFXI was great entry into the series and a damn good MMO.

My friend and I used to play it back in the day and we're considering getting back into to it just to see how it's changed. I actually picked up the 360 version a while ago just for the sheer novelty of playing it on the 360 but never got around to it.

It's awesome man. Crap load to do and the best equipment doesn't need a whole alliance and hours of camping to obtain.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

12 did, final fantasy use to be about magical worlds and deep sh*t, now its nothing but teen angst.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#48 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
No, but I am angry that only Online Final Fantasy's get the majestic Job system. :( Dimensions doesn't count!! :x
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#49 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
No. FFXI actually was very good for it's day and still has elements to it that I dearly miss in the MMOs of today. For a large part it is was one of the last successful MMOs that actually felt like an MMO cause it actually demanded you get a party together. Pretty much all the modern ones let you solo all the way to cap, and even when you do party they have all kinds of mechanics to depersonalize such in the effort to make it... well, effortless. I know why it has gone that way, but MMOs really have gone through the casualization in my mind more than any other genera. Anyway, that's off topic a bit. But, really, FFXI was fine and for the type of MMO it was, was very successfully (it beat out the previous king Evercrack, er, quest). FFXII wasn't bad either, in fact I thought it was a very interesting change. We can really only point to this gen for the true fall with FFXIII and the monumental disaster of FFXIV (seriously SE, WTF were you thinking).
Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

FFXI was the only MMORPG that enjoyed so much success in the face of WoW. It was also the last title before Enix and Square merged. It shows in the quality of the game. The fact that it is still alive and well to this day is a testament to how much it is NOT responsible for the downfall of the Final Fantasy series.

What killed Final Fantasy was the 360 and SE's insistence upon releasing a bunch of crap underperforming titles on it rather than focus on the franchise that makes their bread. Splitting developer resources even further on cross-platform releases certainly doesn't help. Ever since X, the series has spiraled into little more than a rat race between checkpoints. XI was the flashing light in the sky before the storm fell upon this series.