Developing for next-gen consoles.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bad82man82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 bad82man82
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

I mean does anybody notice the lack of games the industry suffering? I remember with last-gen consoles there was a lot of great games every month at least 3 great games.All I wanna say is this gen seems boring, for instance Xbox 360, it has been almost two years from luanch date and look for August list.( I know it is great list but count how many total)

08/14 Madden NFL 08

Two Worlds

Two Worlds (Collector edition)

08/21 BioShock

BioShock (Limited Edition)

08/27 Medal of Honor: Airborne

MotoGP 07

Stranglehold

Stranglehold (Collector's edition)

08/28 Blue Dragon

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam

Stuntman Ignition

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08.

Im not bashing the Xbox 360 here but Im making an explanation of what Im saying.I think the problem is like every developer said, it is difficult to develop for Next-gen consoles and it takes a lot of time, but this is not our problem to wait for great games to come, look at how many great games getting delayed.

RE 5 2009.

MGS 2008.

FF 13 2008.

DMC 4 maybe 2009.

If there is anything missing post it yourself.I think it is Dev. problem and have to deal with it, and I think increasing the workers is one step to the sulotion to make game quicker but same quality.

Your thoughts.

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

Most development projects run at a 3-4 year cycle.

EA is a worker power house and they bring out a lot of lackluster games. You need dedicated, creative minds to be working, not just a robot hashing codes.

HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HarryCrackage
Member since 2004 • 1426 Posts
The issue is compounded by the simple fact that game releases are typically few and far between during the summer months. Either way, I would rather a developer take their sweet time and get the game as good as they can rather than have them rush it out to production.
bad82man82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bad82man82
Member since 2006 • 1059 Posts

The issue is compounded by the simple fact that game releases are typically few and far between during the summer months. Either way, I would rather a developer take their sweet time and get the game as good as they can rather than have them rush it out to production.HarryCrackage

The problem is that Developers consentrate only for one game, look at Konami, you are waiting only for MGS4, Capcom: only DMC4 and RE 5, Square-enix: only FF 13, Rockstar: only GTA and last but not least Bungie: only HALO 3.

Power houses like these never stopped only for one game, we need from any developer at least 5 console games including new IPs, and we want it quick like always.

HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 HarryCrackage
Member since 2004 • 1426 Posts

[QUOTE="HarryCrackage"]The issue is compounded by the simple fact that game releases are typically few and far between during the summer months. Either way, I would rather a developer take their sweet time and get the game as good as they can rather than have them rush it out to production.bad82man82

The problem is that Developers consentrate only for one game, look at Konami, you are waiting only for MGS4, Capcom: only DMC4 and RE 5, Square-enix: only FF 13, Rockstar: only GTA and last but not least Bungie: only HALO 3.

Power houses like these never stopped only for one game, we need from any developer at least 5 console games including new IPs, and we want it quick like always.

I understand your frustration and I share in it quite often when a game I am anticipating, like Mass Effect, gets pushed back or worse, cancelled (as was Starcraft Ghost and True Fantasy Live Online). However, increasing development team sizes can often jeopardize the quality of the title. With too many "cooks in the kitchen" you often find a game's levels feel dis-joined or unbalanced. Also the original vision can be lost. I guess what I am saying is quite simply patience is a virtue.

0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts

[QUOTE="HarryCrackage"]The issue is compounded by the simple fact that game releases are typically few and far between during the summer months. Either way, I would rather a developer take their sweet time and get the game as good as they can rather than have them rush it out to production.bad82man82

well, not sure about Konami, but Square has FFXIII, and vs XIII, as well as about 11 other games (they are going for 13 total games for various handhelds/systems.). And Halo is the only game bungie (As far as i know of) has developed for. I could be wrong, but yeah. That is all I know them for.

And R* is developing (i think) a few titles for the wii (bully and some other oldschool port), as well as GTAIV, and they are working on a new IP exclusive to the PS3.

So yeah, they are working on multiple games at the same time, but i understand where you are coming from. it would be nice to have more games out at once.. but..

for one, that takes far too much money, two, it doesn't pay off nearly as well (consider all the other games coming out for the 360 in september. you think any of them have a chance going up against Halo 3?)

So these companies have choices to make. Either release one *big* game every 6 months to a year (or so), or, do what EA does, and release 50 games over the course of a year, of which only a handful are worth playing, and only 1 or 2 of those become "must haves".

But mainly it comes down to money. These bigger companies like R*, Konami, and Square can afford to work on multiple titles at once. Smaller companies, like Ninja Theory, and ... i can't think of anymore off the top of my head, have to rely on their earnings from their last game to fund their new one.