Dead Space 3 microtransaction prices revealed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

Check out the full microtransaction details below. 

• Bot Capacity Upgrade $4.99
  • Bot Personality Pack $4.99
  • First Contact Pack Free
  • Marauder Pack $4.99
  • Sharpshooter Pack $4.99
  • Tundra Recon Pack $4.99
  • Witness the Truth Pack $4.99
  • Bot Accelerator $4.99
  • Epic Weapon & Resource Pack $2.99
  • Online Pass $9.99
  • Ultra Weapon & Resource Pack $1.99
  • Resource Pack $0.99

Read more at http://www.destructoid.com/dead-space-3-microtransaction-prices-revealed-243522.phtml&nav=mobile&mode=mobile#gp5mu9Dq4ekWOkod.99 

In a statment of why these microtransactions were introduced Viscerals John Calhoun stated. 

"Theres a lot of players out there, especially players coming from mobile games, who are accustomed to micro-transactions. Theyre like I need this now, I want this now. They need instant gratification. So we included that option in order to attract those players, so that if theyre 5000 Tungsten short of this upgrade, they can have it."

So aperantly the reason that we have to pay for these microtransactions is because of these mobile gamers:roll:

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

A fool and his money.

It doesn't have to affect you if you don't want.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sushiglutton  Online
Member since 2009 • 9906 Posts
You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Miketheman83
You have the option to choose between slow grinding or to upgrade your bot. This is dumb. I choose to not buy the game at all.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 el3m2tigre
Member since 2007 • 4232 Posts

So aperantly the reason that we have to pay for these microtransactions is because of these mobile gamers:roll:

Shielder7

You dont have to pay for them.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sushiglutton  Online

A fool and his money.

Cherokee_Jack

We don't know if it will affect us or not. They may have designed the resource gathering to be slower to encourage people to pay to speed it up. If so those who don't buy suffers.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

A fool and his money.

Sushiglutton

We don't know if it will affect us or not. They may have designed the resource gathering to be slow enough to encourage people to pay to speed it up. If so those who don't buy suffers.

That's a flaw with the game's design, not the microtransactions themselves.

They could design it so that the game is perfectly fine without buying anything.

ElPadilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ElPadilla
Member since 2007 • 609 Posts

Everybody send a message to the game industry to stop locking content on the disc and gauging us with micro transactions by not buying this game no matter how good it is. If you want the full experience you're looking at $101 before taxes that's just bs. I know this will fall on deaf ears because it seems most gamers are ok with getting ripped off.

achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
Wait a second, people play Dead Space 3 for it's MP?
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Sushiglutton  Online

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

A fool and his money.

Cherokee_Jack

We don't know if it will affect us or not. They may have designed the resource gathering to be slow enough to encourage people to pay to speed it up. If so those who don't buy suffers.

That's a flaw with the game's design, not the microtransactions.

It's a consequence of the microtransactions.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Cherokee_Jack

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] We don't know if it will affect us or not. They may have designed the resource gathering to be slow enough to encourage people to pay to speed it up. If so those who don't buy suffers. Sushiglutton

That's a flaw with the game's design, not the microtransactions.

It would be a consequence of adding microtransactions.

Not a necessary consequence.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sushiglutton  Online
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]

That's a flaw with the game's design, not the microtransactions.Cherokee_Jack
It would be a consequence of adding microtransactions.

Sure and we will never know for sure if they tuned the loot system to encourage people to buy DLC. It's shady though and I'm not getting this game (not only because of this reason, but also other bad design choices).
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
so they are basically cheaters?
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shielder7
You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Miketheman83
No it's not good, for a FTP game it is good, but for a 60$ game it's supposed to be a cheat code. Soon it will be a MMO grind fest for 60$ SP games unless you pay.
el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 el3m2tigre

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Shielder7
No it's not good, for a FTP game it is good, but for a 60$ game it's supposed to be a cheat code. Soon it will be a MMO grind fest for 60$ SP games unless you pay.

Don't assume things.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"][QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] It would be a consequence of adding microtransactions.

Sushiglutton

Sure and we will never know for sure if they tuned the loot system to encourage people to buy DLC. It's shady though and I'm not getting this game (not only because of this reason, but also other bad design choices).

Seeing that this isn't an MMO, I doubt they will design it the way you said. Players will no doubt be infuriated if they can't finish certain sections because it's too damn hard due to lack of upgrades.

Miketheman83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Miketheman83
Member since 2010 • 3156 Posts
[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Shielder7

I don't see a problem with this. If you have an extra five bucks and want the upgrades fast you have the option. If you don't just pay they game.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Sushiglutton  Online

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"] Not a necessary consequence.OB-47

Seeing that this isn't an MMO, I doubt they will design it the way you said. Players will no doubt be infuriated if they can't finish certain sections because it's too damn hard due to lack of upgrades.

Yeah it's not going to be obvious thing like that. I'm thinking more like making the bot a little slower and stuff like that. We will never be able to tell ofc.
chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

A fool and his money.

Cherokee_Jack
Well said. This.
Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Shielder7

[QUOTE="Shielder7"][QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.el3m2tigre

Don't assume things.

It's hardly an assumption. It doesn't take a genus to figure out where this is heading.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

So... this is what happened to cheat codes?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] Sure and we will never know for sure if they tuned the loot system to encourage people to buy DLC. It's shady though and I'm not getting this game (not only because of this reason, but also other bad design choices).Sushiglutton

Yeah it's not going to be obvious thing like that. I'm thinking more like making the bot a little slower and stuff like that. We will never be able to tell ofc.

If it's only a little amount slower, so much so that we don't notice, wouldn't be pretty useless if EA wanted people to buy the DLC to avoid grind?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Sushiglutton
You have the option to choose between slow grinding or to upgrade your bot. This is dumb. I choose to not buy the game at all.

Says the person who's never bought an RPG

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
A consumer is entitled to spend their money how they see fit. Why do you worry yourself with the transactions of another? Skate 3 has a 560 MS point DLC code that unlocks all content in the game at the click of a button. I don't need to buy it to play the game, and would prefer to do the work myself, as I come from a gaming era where there was satisfaction in unlocking a game's content through effort. Lots of people these days don't have the time to invest and just want to play the game at it's finest... and I can understand this from a business perspective. It gives more options for more people. So long as they do not remove the "traditional" experience, then what is the problem here? (I never thought I'd find myself defending EA)
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sushiglutton  Online

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Jaysonguy

Says the person who's never bought an RPG

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Eh what?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-61cc564148ef4

A consumer is entitled to spend their money how they see fit. Why do you worry yourself with the transactions of another? Skate 3 has a 560 MS point DLC code that unlocks all content in the game at the click of a button. I don't need to buy it to play the game, and would prefer to do the work myself, as I come from a gaming era where there was satisfaction in unlocking a game's content through effort. Lots of people these days don't have the time to invest and just want to play the game at it's finest... and I can understand this from a business perspective. It gives more options for more people. So long as they do not remove the "traditional" experience, then what is the problem here? (I never thought I'd find myself defending EA)Zeviander

My thoughts exactly. I played the DS3 demo and I was getting upgrades left right and center. This is one of EA's practices that I never thought was evil.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts
If all they've done is add this as an option, then its fine. What annoys me is when you play games that make it so hard / time consuming to unlock items through normal means that it practically drives you to pay for it.
Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

A fool and his money.

Cherokee_Jack

That's a flaw with the game's design, not the microtransactions themselves.

They could design it so that the game is perfectly fine without buying anything.

The developer said you don't need microtransactions and it won't make take much longer to get the same stuff as long you upgrade your scavenger bot early.

Seems like people want to punish the studio (Visceral) when it is clear that EA forced this in.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 StrongBlackVine

If all they've done is add this as an option, then its fine. What annoys me is when you play games that make it so hard / time consuming to unlock items through normal means that it practically drives you to pay for it. RR360DD

The game's producer said as long you upgrade your bot to level 2 early it won't be a problem.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

If it's only a little amount slower, so much so that we don't notice, wouldn't be pretty useless if EA wanted people to buy the DLC to avoid grind?

Some people are lazy and will spend the money to avoid having to scavenge. I don't think they would ruin the pace to force grinding or pay...this isn't an MMO or RPG.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

If all they've done is add this as an option, then its fine. What annoys me is when you play games that make it so hard / time consuming to unlock items through normal means that it practically drives you to pay for it. RR360DD

I agree that the idea of DLC/Microtransactions is not bad, but think about whos utilizing it, EA, Capcom, Activision, do you trust these people to use it responsibly? I dont.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="RR360DD"]If all they've done is add this as an option, then its fine. What annoys me is when you play games that make it so hard / time consuming to unlock items through normal means that it practically drives you to pay for it. crimsonman1245

I agree that the idea of DLC/Microtransactions is not bad, but think about whos utilizing it, EA, Capcom, Activision, do you trust these people to use it responsibly? I dont.

So pretty much the most important and biggest  software companies in the gaming?

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shielder7
[QUOTE="Zeviander"]A consumer is entitled to spend their money how they see fit. Why do you worry yourself with the transactions of another? Skate 3 has a 560 MS point DLC code that unlocks all content in the game at the click of a button. I don't need to buy it to play the game, and would prefer to do the work myself, as I come from a gaming era where there was satisfaction in unlocking a game's content through effort. Lots of people these days don't have the time to invest and just want to play the game at it's finest... and I can understand this from a business perspective. It gives more options for more people. So long as they do not remove the "traditional" experience, then what is the problem here? (I never thought I'd find myself defending EA)

It has nothing to do with a consumers right to spend their money the way they want, it's the fact I have to pay 60$ and than pay again to avoid a grind. You're forgetting that for a 60$ retail game these things were once called a cheat code we used to get for free. It is removing the experience, you have to pay 60$ and than another 40$ to get the full experience. For a FTP game it's fine but not for a full price retail game.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

A fool and his money.

More like 'A fool and his money are soon departed." I wouldn't buy any of that crap. EA loves to milk gamers of their money with this stuff, cause they know there are hardcore fools out there that will buy it just so they can be the best immediately. It's just total bs coming from EA. I'm not even getting the game. I haven't even finished the first 2 games.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Day 1 DLC ftw!
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
It has nothing to do with a consumers right to spend their money the way they want, it's the fact I have to pay 60$ and than pay again to avoid a grind. You're forgetting that for a 60$ retail game these things were once called a cheat code we used to get for free. It is removing the experience, you have to pay 60$ and than another 40$ to get the full experience. For a FTP game it's fine but not for a full price retail game. Shielder7
Then don't buy the game. As consumers we aren't forced to buy anything we don't want. We also aren't entitled to have our every whim fulfilled by those producing the products we buy. If you aren't happy with what is being offered, then you take your business elsewhere.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

A fool and his money.

blackace

More like 'A fool and his money are soon departed." I wouldn't buy any of that crap. EA loves to milk gamers of their money with this stuff, cause they know there are hardcore fools out there that will buy it just so they can be the best immediately. It's just total bs coming from EA. I'm not even getting the game. I haven't even finished the first 2 games.

Why would you even start the 2nd game if you didn't finish the first?

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

In this case, I guess there's no harm done, it's just an option, take it or leave it, won't affect your experience much, you can play the game in the "traditional" way...

However, it's possible this model may create some eventual anti-consumer issues. Having grind based games where you're forced to pay for better equipment would be very troublesome. I really hope it never comes to that, would be a huge middle finger having to pay a full price for an SP game, then be forced to do microtransactions to have any real fun...

megadeth1117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 megadeth1117
Member since 2010 • 1830 Posts

That's enough, Sarah Connor. 

Anyway, as many others with the ability to think rationally have stated, these micro-transactions are not only 100% optional, they barely have any effect on the game itself. Is anyone really going to cry over a "Bot Personality Pack"?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I have yet to buy DS2. I will just buy the GOTY edition that includes everything.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Only time this would be abd is if the people paying get a bigger more full experience, if you can get the same stuff later on by not paying then there's no problem. It's just a way for people who don't have the time or dedication to proceed faster. It doesn't affect everyone so calm your t!ts

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]A consumer is entitled to spend their money how they see fit. Why do you worry yourself with the transactions of another? Skate 3 has a 560 MS point DLC code that unlocks all content in the game at the click of a button. I don't need to buy it to play the game, and would prefer to do the work myself, as I come from a gaming era where there was satisfaction in unlocking a game's content through effort. Lots of people these days don't have the time to invest and just want to play the game at it's finest... and I can understand this from a business perspective. It gives more options for more people. So long as they do not remove the "traditional" experience, then what is the problem here? (I never thought I'd find myself defending EA)Shielder7
It has nothing to do with a consumers right to spend their money the way they want, it's the fact I have to pay 60$ and than pay again to avoid a grind. You're forgetting that for a 60$ retail game these things were once called a cheat code we used to get for free. It is removing the experience, you have to pay 60$ and than another 40$ to get the full experience. For a FTP game it's fine but not for a full price retail game.

You still get the same game they do, they just get all of it it faster than you. It isn't that big of a deal, stop exaggerating. Just don't pay the extra money

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Narrow-minded view. Yeah, the options are buying these items and getting the stuff instantly or grinding for an eternity to get them otherwise. Won't be doing either, EA isn't getting my money and anyone who does buy this stuff is an idiot. 

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
Meh, that is the deal this gen. They will always have the slow grind or the fast pay cash way.
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 StrongBlackVine

I have yet to buy DS2. I will just buy the GOTY edition that includes everything.AmazonTreeBoa

LOL I like Dead Space a lot, but no game in that series is a contender for GOTY . I hope this one will be, but more than likely it is a solid 8 or 8.5 which is fine by me.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 StrongBlackVine

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Vari3ty

Narrow-minded view. Yeah, the options are buying these items and getting the stuff instantly or grinding for an eternity to get them otherwise. Won't be doing either, EA isn't getting my money and anyone who does buy this stuff is an idiot. 

How do you grind to eternity in a fairly linear (it does have some optional side quests this time) game? I don't think you can just put out the bot out repeatedly in the same area and get more materials.

el3m2tigre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 el3m2tigre

[QUOTE="Miketheman83"]You don't have to buy them dude. They are optional. Options are good.Vari3ty

Grinding for an eternity? Last i checked Dead Space was linear and necromorphs dont respawn...

marq4porsche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 marq4porsche
Member since 2005 • 512 Posts

There is no grind, you just use your scavenger bot and he gets your resources.... This is just for lazy folks who want instant gratifacation. Played the game tons, I would know.

L0mak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 L0mak
Member since 2012 • 179 Posts

EA wont be getting people like me to purchase this game. I'm sure there are plenty of other fools who will buy into this though.