DayZ - PC Exclusive and quite possibly the best thing you will play all year...

• 180 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 0

#1 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

I know there was a thread about this a little while ago, but I have now experienced it for myself and wow, it really is an amazing game experience.

DayZ is a mod for Arma 2 on the PC. Arma 2 CA has been in the best seller list on Steam for days now because of this mod. It is a open world (225kmsq) environment, where zombies and other players exist. There are cities, forests, beachfronts, villages, cars, helicopters, military bases, hospitals, churches etc etc. The rules are simple, survive. You do so by hunting round for loot, food, water, guns, medical supplies, ammo etc and exploring. Exploring is important to find good equipment and food/drink in order to survive (you get thirsty and hungry), survival is hard and unforgiving. If you die, you die permanently, there is no respawning. You have to start again with a new character and you lose everything you had.

The mod is in alpha stage and there are a lot of bugs, graphical glitches and a lack of servers. There are around 50+ servers currently up for it that generally seat around 50 people, some servers go up to 80 though. It is difficult to join a server and difficult to avoid one with lag at the moment but more servers are popping up every day and updates are being made slowly improving the game. If you can find a good, lag free server, then you will be treated to a very special gaming experience. Especially if you can play with friends or group up with players in the server. It really is something genuinely thrilling at points and it makes you wonder why no one has made this game/mod up until now.

It's hard to trust other human players in the server because they may turn on you, so grouping up with them is tricky, but not impossible. Your character is saved across all the servers, so if you can hop between servers and it will keep your character and your location.

Any PC Gamer should try this immediately and any console only gamer should take note of what they are missing out on here. I already owned Arma 2, so for me this is an entirely free game. Despite the alpha being bug ridden and the server connection issues, there is a genuinely amazing experience to be had here, especially cooperatively. This really is a perfect example of what modding communities bring to PC gaming. A free and amazing exclusive game.

Below is an article about the game from Rock Paper Shotgun. It describes the initial experience of the game, mine was very similar. This is a genuinely amazing game experience.

"Day Z is the best thing I?ve played so far this year.

On my first go, I bled to death in the dark, alone on a forest trail."

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/05/10/thank-you-for-the-dayz-part-zero/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOB7YGgREFg - youtube video of some guys first impressions, in case anyone is interested.

If you do play, here are some tips for survival;

- Never publicly announce where you are

- Never trust anyone unless you know them outside of the game

- Never turn your back on a zombie

mario-galaxys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 mario-galaxys
Member since 2011 • 574 Posts
You can post your thread in your personal blog.
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 iamrob7

You can post your thread in your personal blog.mario-galaxys

Why would I want to do that? My point was that this is a PC exclusive and it is one of the most amazing gaming experiences out there. Console only gamers are missing out on something special, which is free. This is system wars right?

However I have just noticed there is another thread about DayZ, so with that in mind, I'll happily accept any mod locking it.

FPSfan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 FPSfan1985
Member since 2011 • 2174 Posts
Stopped at Arma 2. Nothing is going to get me to install that boring ass game again.
iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 iamrob7

Stopped at Arma 2. Nothing is going to get me to install that boring ass game again.FPSfan1985

I hated Arma 2 and uninstalled it during the bootcamp when I first tried it, awkward controls etc, didn't like it at all. It took me trying it again 3 years later to actually enjoy it. Either way this DayZ mod is something different and I am genuinely amazed by the experiences it provides. If you own Arma 2, you would be doing yourself a favour to try this game at least once. It's amazing, I kid you not.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I'll wait for their official game or ARMA 3 mod.
Substah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Substah
Member since 2004 • 306 Posts

You can post your butthurt in this thread.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11821 Posts

No one reads blogs

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Looks like crap honestly... plus...

TL;DR..... Tood Damn long there's no way i'm gonna read!

BTW... Guild Wars 2 / StarCraft 2 HoS for Pc GOTY

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 iamrob7

Looks like crap honestly... plus...

TL;DR..... Tood Damn long there's no way i'm gonna read!

BTW... Guild Wars 2 / StarCraft 2 HoS for Pc GOTY

Joedgabe

It's actually amazing, here try this video if my post was too long for you;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOB7YGgREFg

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#11 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

An amazing mod this. As I said in the other thread, this basically is STALKER in multiplayer co-op.

BigDaddyPOLO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BigDaddyPOLO
Member since 2005 • 2251 Posts

As much as I am interested in it, the gameplay I've seen makes it look nearly as tedious and boring as regular arma.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts
It´s a really good mod that´s for sure,and it´s technically still in alpha.
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
No one reads blogsNoodleFighter
Not sure if serious...
starjet905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starjet905
Member since 2005 • 2078 Posts
If you die, you die permanently, there is no respawning. You have to start again with a new character and you lose everything you had.iamrob7
It's totally realistic and all, but for someone who can't spend the majority of his time gaming, this can be a nightmare.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12397 Posts
[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]No one reads blogsBadosh
Not sure if serious...

no one on GS reads another users blog.
GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

it's a mod, not an "exclusive" game or anything, the concept is good, a real time survial in MP is clever but I wouldn't recommand it, I won't call it garbage, but it's the kind game you will have to spend more time walking than action, for example, from begining you will need travel from point A to point B to a popular area to get supplies(food, ammos and such) the propose? well, explore the map looking for more supplies... not impressed.

and the zombies lol! when they walk, they kind animated like zombies, but when they come at you, they run faster than track and field olympic medalist.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

it's a mod, not an "exclusive" game or anything, the concept is good, a real time survial in MP is clever but I wouldn't recommand it, I won't call it garbage, but it's the kind game you will have to spend more time walking than action, for example, from begining you will need travel from point A to point B to a popular area to get supplies(food, ammos and such) the propose? well, explore the map looking for more supplies... not impressed.

and the zombies lol! when they walk, they kind animated like zombies, but when they come at you, they run faster than track and field olympic medalist.

GameFan1983
You mean it's not a 'SHOT THE ZOMBIES, DAKKA DAKKA HURRR' game. It's a survival game, an MMO like one at that; which in itself is outstanding that it actually works as well as it does. Unpolished and room for improvement? Certainly.
loosingENDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 loosingENDS
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Generic garbage

PC has WOW too, that does not mean anyone cares, especially real gamers

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

As much as I am interested in it, the gameplay I've seen makes it look nearly as tedious and boring as regular arma.

BigDaddyPOLO

Yeah agreed idk it looks boring as hell.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 skrat_01

Generic garbage

<loosingENDS
I don't even think you can understand the hilarious ironic stupidity in your own statement. And for that I'm glad you posted it
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46709 Posts

Generic garbage

loosingENDS

Oh, you mean genericgarbage

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#24 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
No thanks, it requires Arma 2.
PurpleHaze89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PurpleHaze89
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts

If D3 wouldnt release in 2 days i'd defintely check it out, sounds awesome !

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#26 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Heres agood vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Arach666

Heres agood vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpPIyJDSEQ

pelvist
Yeah,I´ve been watching his videos,they´re pretty good. Anyone interested in this should watch all 5 videos.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

soon as i saw "mod" i stopped reading mods suck. Only a few are worth your time.

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

soon as i saw "mod" i stopped reading mods suck. Only a few are worth your time.

dontshackzmii

For someone that knows nothing about them(like you)I´m not surprised,I barely play on the PC but I´ve been checking some PC mods these last few months and quite a few are really damn good,a ton of them actually like full commercial games,better than many of the stuff its actually being sold,and when I heard of this one I checked it out and this is an amazing idea and it´s already doing really well(and its only in alpha),no wonder that,even without any sale whatsoever Arma 2 is sitting up there in the top sellers on steam,and all because of a mod,that´s how good can mods can do to games,helpuing them sell even more is one of them,sadly you´re so keen on hating most things PC related that your word is no longer relevant around these parts.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 skrat_01

dontshackzmii
The only think that sucks is the ignorant making judgement calls about something they evidently don't understand, digging themselves a nice hole of stupid bubble logic. While everyone else continues to enjoy them, as they have for well over two decades.
dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

Nanomage

For someone that knows nothing about them(like you)I´m not surprised,I barely play on the PC but I´ve been checking some PC mods these last few months and quite a few are really damn good,a ton of them actually like full commercial games,better than many of the stuff its actually being sold,and when I heard of this one I checked it out and this is an amazing idea and it´s already doing really well(and its only in alpha),no wonder that,even without any sale whatsoever Arma 2 is sitting up there in the top sellers on steam,and all because of a mod,that´s how good can mods can do to games,helpuing them sell even more is one of them,sadly you´re so keen on hating most things PC related that your word is no longer relevant around these parts.

Most mods are half baked idea and lack content. Or are Intresting concepts that end up being a let down because they are made by amachers. My fav mod of all time is zombie panic. It has its moments but even this game has lots of problems.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have been playing the mod for a bit, its a lot of fun. The longer you survive, the more fun you are going to have. You grow attached to the character that has managed to find decent weaponry and survivor tools that open up new possibilitys. Its more scary to see a human player in this mod then the actual zombies. They could be friendly, or they could be a lowly bandit that was just shoot you and take all your stuff.

I have actually reached a point where my character will likely die soon. He has run out of ammo completly, has half health (or blood...whatever), and is starting to run out of food and water.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

I really wanna play this but i'm not buying arma 2 just for a mod

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts

[QUOTE="Nanomage"]

[QUOTE="dontshackzmii"]

dontshackzmii

Most mods are half baked idea and lack content.

Sounds like most games in general. Who gives a f*ck? They're free. :|
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Generic garbage

PC has WOW too, that does not mean anyone cares, especially real gamers

loosingENDS
Yeah,real gamers play kinect :lol:
nunovlopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nunovlopes
Member since 2009 • 2638 Posts

Is there a point to the mod? Like, do you have to get somewhere or do something? Or is it just about exploring? If so, not my cup of tea. However, the mere fact these things exist is a great plus for PC gaming.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Chris_Williams

Is there a point to the mod? Like, do you have to get somewhere or do something? Or is it just about exploring? If so, not my cup of tea. However, the mere fact these things exist is a great plus for PC gaming.

nunovlopes
thats a good question, i been looking at gameplay vids and its just someone walking into random towns and being attacked, besides exploration is their missions or objectives in the game? "to the people who have the mod"
Cloud567kar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Cloud567kar
Member since 2007 • 2656 Posts

[QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Chris_Williams

thats a good question, i been looking at gameplay vids and its just someone walking into random towns and being attacked, besides exploration is their missions or objectives in the game? "to the people who have the mod"

Its an open world game and the point of the game is to survive. You can die from zombies, blood loss, other players, starvation.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="nunovlopes"]

Cloud567kar

Its an open world game and the point of the game is to survive. You can die from zombies, blood loss, other players, starvation.

I been looking more into it, its pretty damn cool, once you die you have to restart, thats awesome. But man i'm going to just wait for arma 2 to drop in price or something. Hopefully by the time i play the mod is patched and bugs are fixed.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Downloading Arma 2 CO as well, hope its finished by the time I come back home.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

i'll wait for that game that epic games is making can't remember what its called, build a fort, survive the night, this looks like crap, run run run run run runr run run run run run run... for what exactly?

stupid and pointless, this mod should be handled by real devs, or it'll finally come around as a solid experience in 20 years.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

i'll wait for that game that epic games is making can't remember what its called, build a fort, survive the night, this looks like crap, run run run run run runr run run run run run run... for what exactly?

stupid and pointless, this mod should be handled by real devs, or it'll finally come around as a solid experience in 20 years.

savagetwinkie

Nice closed minded view on the sector of gaming that brought by far the most innovation and changes to gaming in the past 20 years.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Arach666

[QUOTE="Cloud567kar"]

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"] thats a good question, i been looking at gameplay vids and its just someone walking into random towns and being attacked, besides exploration is their missions or objectives in the game? "to the people who have the mod"Chris_Williams

I been looking more into it, its pretty damn cool, once you die you have to restart, thats awesome. But man i'm going to just wait for arma 2 to drop in price or something. Hopefully by the time i play the mod is patched and bugs are fixed.

Considering the sudden rush to buy Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead in the last few days I´d wager that when things settle up a bit steam will probably have a sale,just don´t forget that you must get Arma 2+Operation Arrowhead(Arma Combined Ops) to play the mod,just Arma 2 alone won´t run it.

Also,DayZ is technically still in alpha,though it´s a mod so it´s already available for folks to play,as I understand it there will be many additions to the game during the development,all sorts of fixes,etc.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

Wasdie

Nice closed minded view on the sector of gaming that brought by far the most innovation and changes to gaming in the past 20 years.

still looks like crap, i never said anything about indie and modders in general, but dev's have time to finish things... there are very few full mod's that come out that innovate, most feel unfinished or pointless, thanks to modders we generally have a new game mode from CS and a sub genere of tower defense... and at any rate, modders wouldn't exist without real dev's their innovation is always adding to concrete idea's...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

savagetwinkie

still looks like crap, i never said anything about indie and modders in general, but dev's have time to finish things... there are very few full mod's that come out that innovate, most feel unfinished or pointless, thanks to modders we generally have a new game mode from CS and a sub genere of tower defense... and at any rate, modders wouldn't exist without real dev's their innovation is always adding to concrete idea's...

You still don't get the point of modding.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

You still don't get the point of modding.

yah building on top of other people's work, thats why modding comes from the word "modification", your not modding if your creating an entirely new game,
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 skrat_01
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] there are very few full mod's that come out that innovate

And with that comment you've made your entire point of view redundant. Mods breed innovation and experimentation, this is why there is a distinct lack of polish and why they're continuously in development. Mods don't go 'gold', many of them push concepts that publishers would never touch, and these are games made by people remotely -what do you expect - people paid actual salaries quality? Of all the idiotic, sheer stupid things I have read on SW in years, this is up there.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Chris_Williams

[QUOTE="Chris_Williams"][QUOTE="Cloud567kar"]

Arach666

Considering the sudden rush to buy Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead in the last few days I´d wager that when things settle up a bit steam will probably have a sale,just don´t forget that you must get Arma 2+Operation Arrowhead(Arma Combined Ops) to play the mod,just Arma 2 alone won´t run it.

Also,DayZ is technically still in alpha,though it´s a mod so it´s already available for folks to play,as I understand it there will be many additions to the game during the development,all sorts of fixes,etc.

ahhh, i see, thanks man
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

savagetwinkie

Do you have any idea how many game features in your generic little console games came from Mods? If you did you wouldnt be making such a stupid statement.