Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#51 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@JangoWuzHere: The story of Ace Combat 6 is universally joked by all Ace Combat fans. It's horrible.

Other than that, Ace Combat 6 followed the formula of 4, 5, and Zero and expanded on the large scale. There were proper boss battles, some unique missions here and there, but most were your grinding missions were you had to just kill X things. That was the vast majority of the PS2 Ace Combat games too. I had no problem with that.

One of the best missions in Ace Combat 6 is when you were behind enemy lines and got jumped by about 35 aircraft. It was intense.

Ace Combat 6's biggest problem was it ran at 30 fps and relied on a new movement mechanic where you could turn the plane much faster by holding a button on the controller at the cost of speed. I think it was called High-G mode or something. I never had a problem with the missiles being too slow though. Also the game allowed you to choose your objectives, but there were plenty of combined arms missions and anti-aircraft objectives to accomplish if you wanted. You could go a near 100% bombing route to you.

Ace Combat 6 had an amazing feeling of progression in the battles. Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero had a few missions scattered throughout where a battle progressed, but Ace Combat 6 made that a focus. Pushing various objectives would slightly change the next set of mission objectives you had and the scenario for the rest of the army. There was some slight branching that really gave the player the ability to have a visual impact on the battlefield. I really liked that.

I think you should try to replay it on a slightly higher difficult and not just grab an A-10 and do the bombing missions. There is a lot of good there. Just mute the dialog if possible.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

More foreboding

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#53 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It's only depressing because you need to:

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#54  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44616 Posts

Depressed? "Try jumping off." **bah-dum tssh**

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 284

User Lists: 37

#55 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1434 Posts

It's not depressing to me anymore, it's atmospheric. Your top 5 depressing games are also great games imo. Maybe Fallout 3 was depressing/gloomy to me.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#56 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I'm confused.

You can't get into Dark Souls because it's depressing? You mean you haven't finished it?

And how is Stalker depressing?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

lol how did this become an Ace Combat thread?

You're obviously not familiar with how deep the Souls lore can go. No Ace Combat discussion is going on. They're still, very much so, talking about Dark Souls.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#58 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@demon-returns said:
@freedomfreak said:

I hear this a lot, but it never had that affect on me. In many cases, the game makes me lol.

LOL? teh game is like a comedy to you?

Loading Video...

classic. Even the pro's fall for these.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@Ant_17 said:

I'm confused.

You can't get into Dark Souls because it's depressing? You mean you haven't finished it?

And how is Stalker depressing?

lol, it’s a bleak post-apocalyptic world filled with bloodsuckers … what else do you need

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

@_Matt_:

Eh, he gets that dark side from his mother. :P

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#61 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

Depressing isn't how I would describe it, but sure.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#62 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

@_Matt_:

His mother also has good taste.

I guess that is also a compliment to you haha.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#63 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34682 Posts

Depressing? You sure you don't mean atmospheric?

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts

Hopeless, yeah. Another one would be Doom. Especially the ending of the first one.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44158 Posts

@_Matt_ said:
@SecretPolice said:

@_Matt_:

His mother also has good taste.

I guess that is also a compliment to you haha.

Well, TBH, I needed to pour holy water an that Vamp a long time ago... hehe. :P

Thanks mah friend, good stuff. :)

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#66 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

@Wasdie: Or the FA-18 games (Hornet and Korea). Landing on an aircraft carrier was like getting an achievement in real life, let alone doing it with nothing but your instruments at night.

Loading Video...

I wish this was me.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 AND1SALTTAPE
Member since 2015 • 861 Posts

@the_master_race said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

"Depression" (or uneasiness or whatever you wanna call it) is important for creating tension and drama through gameplay (when used properly). Video games are at their best when their environments make you feel uncomfortable.

This is something that movies can not provide. Sadly, not many games take advantage of the medium's strengths and instead copy film industry (in a wrong way).

it doesn't make me uncomfortable actually , it kinda bores me , ..... those cursed people , ruins of old cities and stuff like that

You need to get into the deeper theme of the game then. The repetition, to know that it'll all again wither away, the fact that all that's old dies for something new to be born, and all that jazz is what you should get into. Dark Souls, surely, is depressing; but it's not depressing in the way that it makes you go nihilist or tells you depressing stuff. It just shows you 'life' in its purest form. There are so many life lessons to be accrued from this game that I feel sorry for those who could never get into the depth of it and played only for the challenge.

For an instance, Crestfallen Warrior is the true embodiment of a man who simply lacks that one strand of a gene necessary for something he desires to be. If you'd been in the sports team of your High School, you would've had seen more depressed peeps than happy ones. Most of those benchwarmers just lack only one thing - whatever that maybe. They're talented, spirited, yet they cannot make it. The same is the case of the symbolic Crestfallen Warrior. His only flaw is that he's not the 'Chosen One' by the fate. Fate decides our helplessness. The philosophies are endless.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By the_master_race

@and1salttape said:
@the_master_race said:
@Cloud_imperium said:

"Depression" (or uneasiness or whatever you wanna call it) is important for creating tension and drama through gameplay (when used properly). Video games are at their best when their environments make you feel uncomfortable.

This is something that movies can not provide. Sadly, not many games take advantage of the medium's strengths and instead copy film industry (in a wrong way).

it doesn't make me uncomfortable actually , it kinda bores me , ..... those cursed people , ruins of old cities and stuff like that

You need to get into the deeper theme of the game then. The repetition, to know that it'll all again wither away, the fact that all that's old dies for something new to be born, and all that jazz is what you should get into. Dark Souls, surely, is depressing; but it's not depressing in the way that it makes you go nihilist or tells you depressing stuff. It just shows you 'life' in its purest form. There are so many life lessons to be accrued from this game that I feel sorry for those who could never get into the depth of it and played only for the challenge.

For an instance, Crestfallen Warrior is the true embodiment of a man who simply lacks that one strand of a gene necessary for something he desires to be. If you'd been in the sports team of your High School, you would've had seen more depressed peeps than happy ones. Most of those benchwarmers just lack only one thing - whatever that maybe. They're talented, spirited, yet they cannot make it. The same is the case of the symbolic Crestfallen Warrior. His only flaw is that he's not the 'Chosen One' by the fate. Fate decides our helplessness. The philosophies are endless.

TBH I don’t like Dark Souls minimalist storytelling, it’s kewl and maybe poetic to leave the details for the player to discover but this ain’t my thing … after Undead Burg, I couldn’t go farther, I have a different taste when it comes to RPG genre, I prefer a game with more diversity in atmosphere and the theme, more interaction with NPC’s – like a tavern full of people - not a desolated black and white world. Something like pillars of eternity

DH1278

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 DH1278
Member since 2012 • 106 Posts

I still remember how Solaire losing his grasp on the Sun was one of the greatest bits of despair found in the story within DkS1. That right there, taking one of the NPC's who was so amazed and full of life by his admiration of the Sun, found himself so deep within the pits of helplessness because he had lost his source of life. Loved it.

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 AND1SALTTAPE
@the_master_race said:

TBH I don’t like Dark Souls minimalist storytelling, it’s kewl and maybe poetic to leave the details for the player to discover but this ain’t my thing … after Undead Burg, I couldn’t go farther, I have a different taste when it comes to RPG genre, I prefer a game with more diversity in atmosphere and the theme, more interaction with NPC’s – like a tavern full of people - not a desolated black and white world. Something like pillars of eternity

It's not 'minimalist'. A rich story is there; all it takes is for one to wonder and connect the dots. I suggest watching SunlightMaggot's videos for the movie-version of Dark Souls story. That will help you easily get into the story. He makes 'movies' out of characters in Dark Souls and has even made a whole movie series of Dark Souls 2 explaining the events through in-game shots and videos. That guy is seriously good at his job - but he stopped making videos because of being underrated.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 the_master_race
@and1salttape said:
@the_master_race said:

It's not 'minimalist'. A rich story is there; all it takes is for one to wonder and connect the dots. I suggest watching SunlightMaggot's videos for the movie-version of Dark Souls story. That will help you easily get into the story. He makes 'movies' out of characters in Dark Souls and has even made a whole movie series of Dark Souls 2 explaining the events through in-game shots and videos. That guy is seriously good at his job - but he stopped making videos because of being underrated.

Actually Dark Souls is known for being minimalistic …just Google it, some of DS fans believe this even made the game far more effective and superior because it shows things in a simple and uncomplicated way

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

How can you say that when you have a sunbro to go to!!!

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts
@X_CAPCOM_X said:

You mean Demons Souls? Considering the fact that Dark Souls' story and setting is a rehash of Demons souls elements, Demons souls gets the crown for a dark atmosphere in that respect.

I agree with @freedomfreak. By the time I played Dark 1, I was loling at a lot of the stuff. The depths did have one genuinely spooky moment

You kiss your mother with that whore mouth of yours?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

That's atmosphere for you, something 90% of games don't even have

AND1SALTTAPE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 AND1SALTTAPE
@the_master_race said:
@and1salttape said:
@the_master_race said:

Actually Dark Souls is known for being minimalistic …just Google it, some of DS fans believe this even made the game far more effective and superior because it shows things in a simple and uncomplicated way

Well, yeah, I concede. I misread your post. I thought you were talking about the story being minimalist when you were talking about storytelling. Just check out SunlightMaggot's videos. That's some good stuff.

longtonguecat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76 longtonguecat
Member since 2008 • 2558 Posts

I found Demon's Souls (and as you mentioned STALKER) far more desolate and for hence depressing games - Dark Souls feels more adventurous due to its more populated world and vibrant aesthetic. In Demon's Souls too having "good" characters like Ostrava and Astraea kill themselves and characters like Yurt and Mephistopheles trying to kill the characters added to that feeling for - made everything feel a bit hopeless and futile.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#77 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Dark Souls has a very... lonely feel to it. I don't think "depressing" is quite right. You really cherish when you come across another NPC to talk to... even if everyone has a really sinister laugh.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@freedomfreak: throwing poo at enemies?

And why is this the first I've heard of this crazy shit???

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts
@mr_huggles_dog said:

@freedomfreak: throwing poo at enemies?

And why is this the first I've heard of this crazy shit???

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

@freedomfreak: that's some funny shit.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Silent Hill 3 gave me an extremely morbid feeling later into the game.

There is so much blood and rust mixed with that weird music.

It was also the first game I pre-ordered and the first rated M game that I purchased myself.

Still have the soundtrack that came with the game if you pre-ordered it.

Loading Video...

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#82 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@the_master_race said:

I’ve tried many times to get into these games but it didn’t work, Dark souls has really a depressing theme, it’s not sad or frightening, … it’s depressing, makes you feel lonely, it’s taking a walk into the dead city of Minas Morgul where there is no sunshine,and this could be one of the main reasons why some of gamers didn’t find these series amusing. ..So what about you guys? how’d you find Dark souls …..?

PS: Here’s my top 5 depressing games

1-DarkSouls

2-Silent Hill 2

3-Siren

4-S.T.A.L.K.E.R

5-Limbo

for me shadow of the colossus is the limit of i can stand in terms of depressing, darksouls is not only depressing, but also too dificult to keep me going on such a depressing and ugly game

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2312 Posts

Dark Souls is one of the greatest games i have ever played, like top 5

KratosYOLOSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By KratosYOLOSwag
Member since 2013 • 1827 Posts

I ended up killing all the NPCs except 2 blacksmiths on my first playthrough. I accidentally made the guy at Firelink Shrine go aggressive so I killed him. Then I just continued with the others, most didn't seem too trust worthy anyways.

Made for a lonely playthrough.

flipclic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By flipclic
Member since 2004 • 271 Posts

Dark Souls is not depressing but it is very humbling. You go play it thinking you know a thing or two about games and then you get the lesson of your life.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#86 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Silent Hill Shattered Memories was pretty depressing.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#87 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Demon's Souls was much more depressing in my opinion. The Tower of Latria is about as depressing as a video game can get.