Dark Souls director considering an Easy mode.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

"Difficult" doesn't mean "satisfying", says From Software

Thought, SW? Is this a good trend that devs always try to appear more to the mass?

Souls series is always known about the crushing difficulty, adding another easy mode would probably affect that reputation.

Me personally, I'm fine with it, adding another difficulty for people who want to just enjoying the game is OK by me, as long as they don't f*ck up the original difficulty that is. Maybe adding another extremely hard mode to balance it :P.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

The corruption has begun ... :(

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

This is a great idea! As long as you have to beat the game on insane before you unlock it :twisted:

ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
:(
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 rjdofu
Come on guys, it's not like they will dump down the whole game. It's just another extra mode, one can choose to ignore it altogether.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#7 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

THAT'S JUST WRONG DON'T-- KJGNOIsgphrnuighriuogvberui

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

As long as the "traditional" difficulty setting is unaffected for those of us who enjoy it, why not?

It's a great game, more people should be able to play it, and it's possible some are turned off by the difficulty. This would fix that issue, and potentially bring in more revenue to the developer...

If it doesn't water down the game, all is good...

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9898 Posts
Never understood how people can whine about added options. If developers adds an easy mode, or a "win button" so that more casual gamers can get through the game that's great imo. If you lack the self discipline to play through the game without using these options, well that's you shortcoming.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Ok

An optional difficulty is only a good thing to bring in new gamers. I don't see the issue unless you like whining about stupid sh1t but then again this is SW.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 parkurtommo
Come on guys, it's not like they will dump down the whole game. It's just another extra mode, one can choose to ignore it altogether. rjdofu
But then people might beat it on easy mode because they're too scared and meanwhile hardcore gamers like us won't be considered as hardcore anymore... :(
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 parkurtommo

As long as the "traditional" difficulty setting is unaffected for those of us who enjoy it, why not?

It's a great game, more people should be able to play it, and it's possible some are turned off by the difficulty. This would fix that issue, and potentially bring in more revenue to the developer...

Rocker6
But it does water down the game. That's what an easy mode is.
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Come on guys, it's not like they will dump down the whole game. It's just another extra mode, one can choose to ignore it altogether. parkurtommo
But then people might beat it on easy mode because they're too scared and meanwhile hardcore gamers like us won't be considered as hardcore anymore... :(

But you will get a platinum trophy, A PLATIUM TROPHY!!!
platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

dark souls is already too easy...

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Options = bad

amirite? As long as the main difficulty is unaffected, there's nothing wrong with this.

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Good for those who need it, but one reason Dark Souls is enjoyable is overcoming the challenge. If you fail it, it's your fault and it, makes it so much sweeter when you it.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rocker6

Never understood how people can whine about added options. If developers adds an easy mode, or a "win button" so that more casual gamers can get through the game that's great imo. If you lack the self discipline to play through the game without using these options, well that's you shortcoming. Sushiglutton

Well said!

Nothing wrong with having more options...

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="rjdofu"]Come on guys, it's not like they will dump down the whole game. It's just another extra mode, one can choose to ignore it altogether. Sushiglutton

you spelled "platinum" wrong. it's "platnium."

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#19 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
Oh no! They're adding in an entirely optional gamemode that won't affect my experience in any way. Dark Souls is ruined!
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 parkurtommo

Also... how would pvp work?

More importantly, how would the game itself work... there are entire game mechanics that rely on death, if the player doesn't die, they're just taking away a lot of what makes Dark Souls so fun.

What happens when you take away the Soul games' main aspect, it's rewarding difficulty? Yeah, the game starts to suck, because the difficulty is precisely what makes it so interesting.

If From Software actually does this I'm not buying anymore of their products (assuming they continue to develop the souls franchise).

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

It just another option. As long as it doesn't water down the original mode then it fine and it would bring in more people. Heck maybe I give the series another chance with it.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rjdofu
[QUOTE="rjdofu"]Come on guys, it's not like they will dump down the whole game. It's just another extra mode, one can choose to ignore it altogether. parkurtommo

Idk, there're trophies/achievement for that matter.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

More importantly, how would the game itself work... there are entire game mechanics that rely on death, if the player doesn't die, they're just taking away a lot of what makes Dark Souls so fun.

What happens when you take away the Soul games' main aspect, it's rewarding difficulty? Yeah, the game starts to suck, because the difficulty is precisely what makes it so interesting.

If From Software actually does this I'm not buying anymore of their products (assuming they continue to develop the souls franchise).

parkurtommo

I think you need to step outside for some fresh air.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

parkurtommo

How can it water down the game if it's optional? :?

Ignore it and move on. ME3 has modes that eliminate or streamline the story choices, I haven't even noticed them since the game didn't impose them onto me in any way...

Lord_Nas3k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lord_Nas3k
Member since 2006 • 1492 Posts

They should just add an Extra Extra Extra Nightmare Insanity Hardcorier Super Ultra-Violence Veteran difficulty.

Now that's what this game needs.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]

Aljosa23

I think you need to step outside for some fresh air.

Good idea :P
rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

Don't be greedy guys, you do understand they would sell a lot more copies. I might even buy one!

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"]But then people might beat it on easy mode because they're too scared and meanwhile hardcore gamers like us won't be considered as hardcore anymore... :(platniumgamer

you spelled "platinum" wrong. it's "platnium."

I tried two different ways of spelling it. Both wrong :cry:
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rocker6

parkurtommo

Sigh...

They could separate the PVP servers to easy and "normal" mode, problem solved...

Also, we don't know the details, just because it says "easy" doesn't mean it's going to be a total cakewalk...

Some of us consider higher difficulties and good challenges rewarding, sure, but many gamers disagree. This gives them an option to enjoy a great game that would otherwise be unenjoyable to them...

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Rocker6

Ignore it and move on. ME3 has modes that eliminate or streamline the story choices, I haven't even noticed them since the game didn't impose them onto me in any way...

Anyone who actually uses the option will simply be limiting themselves. I don't care if they get to play the game, if they should play it the way it's meant to be played... the fun way.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rjdofu

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]Never understood how people can whine about added options. If developers adds an easy mode, or a "win button" so that more casual gamers can get through the game that's great imo. If you lack the self discipline to play through the game without using these options, well that's you shortcoming. Rocker6

Well said!

Nothing wrong with having more options...

Yep, not to mention, good games deserve good sales, if dev can get more money from this & continue developing better games in the future, then it's a win for everyone.
Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rocker6

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] But it does water down the game. That's what an easy mode is.parkurtommo

Anyone who actually uses the option will simply be limiting themselves. I don't care if they get to play the game, if they should play it the way it's meant to be played... the fun way.

Fun is subjective...

For you and me this option is limiting the game's potential, sure, but we don't represent the overall gameplay community...

As I said, as long as "traditional" difficulty setting remains present and unaffected, all is good. Nothing wrong with having more options.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rjdofu

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] But it does water down the game. That's what an easy mode is.parkurtommo

My friend broke his controller playing demon souls dude, after that his mom took his PS3 away, don't think that's fun tbh :(. (though I laughed @ him :lol: )

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

parkurtommo
Wow that seems like a totally reasonable reaction
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 parkurtommo

Rocker6

Fun is subjective...

For you and me this option is limiting the game's potential, sure, but we don't represent the overall gameplay community...

As I said, as long as "traditional" difficulty setting remains present and unaffected, all is good. Nothing wrong with having more options.

Yes, you're right, fun is subjective.

Still doesn't sit right with me... :evil:

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Sushiglutton
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Communist :P! Let the people choose!
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

And how is allowing others to limit their experience with the game affecting you, and to the point that you would actually not buy any more Souls games?!
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Thefatness16

It would be pretty cool if they made a hard mode as well.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

if they have an easy mode and a hard mode, whats the bloody problem all i see in this topic is whiny self entitled gamers who are complaining bout something thats completely optional..System wars at its finest.

Loads of people like the concept of the souls games and the adventuring centric playstyle of the game but find the difficulty offputting, should we not be allowed to experience the game?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sushiglutton

Thefatness16
You can do that yourself. Just play the game with a permadeath rule (aka if you die you restart the entire game). Good Luck!
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 parkurtommo

dommeus

And how is allowing others to limit their experience with the game affecting you, and to the point that you would actually not buy any more Souls games?!

I think it takes away some of that satisfaction one gets from beating a souls game, knowing that others did it without effort. For example, would it be alright if you were to have a race, but then some of your opponents have nitro? lol I also keep seeing PC gamers saying laptops and pre built PCs are bad, well this is the same situation, some people might not want to build a computer, even if it's more fun and rewarding (and cheaper).
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 parkurtommo

if they have an easy mode and a hard mode, whats the bloody problem all i see in this topic is whiny self entitled gamers who are complaining bout something thats completely optional..System wars at its finest.

Loads of people like the concept of the souls games and the adventuring centric playstyle of the game but find the difficulty offputting, should we not be allowed to experience the game?

razgriz_101
I think I'm the only one whining, actually. :P
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Thefatness16

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Sushiglutton

You can do that yourself. Just play the game with a permadeath rule (aka if you die you restart the entire game). Good Luck!

That sounds a bit too hard.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Add a Super Easy mode and i'll buy since the game is $15 new

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Thefatness16

Naked/soul level 1 playthrough, aka finish the game without leveling up or using better weapons.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

What purpose would it serve nearly a year after the game has already released? Casuals don't care about the Souls series. Adding an easy mode isn't going to attract any more sales.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 parkurtommo

Add a Super Easy mode and i'll buy since the game is $15 new

finalstar2007
Bro gamers at their finest.... :|
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rjdofu

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

Thefatness16

That's the real hardcore mode.
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Thefatness16

[QUOTE="Thefatness16"]

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"] You can do that yourself. Just play the game with a permadeath rule (aka if you die you restart the entire game). Good Luck!parkurtommo

Naked/soul level 1 playthrough, aka finish the game without leveling up or using better weapons.

I actually already did a naked/SL1 play through. But I upgraded my weapons and used rings.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
as long as it's completely optional and doesn't screw with the game design (like makes it so enemies deal less damage rather than rearranging traps) then sure why not